PDA

View Full Version : Who is hitting F5 now?

mttgamer
09-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Hey all,
With alpha news just a few hours away, I was wondering how many people are hitting F5 right now on the hextcg.com home page just waiting for that glorious post!

mudkip
09-20-2013, 10:17 AM
I'm watching my email, waiting for the KS update.

Umaro
09-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Nah, just reading the boards like normal. When I see the update, I'll read it. I'm not itching for it though.

Yasi
09-20-2013, 10:20 AM
The update has been consistently posted around 2-4 hours from now, so hitting F5 now seems eh...

Kami
09-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Browser auto-refresh. :p

blakegrandon
09-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Email auto pops every minute on my phone...

Also there is chrome autorefresh for anyone that REALLY wants to know as soon as they announce it...

I figure my friend will gchat me as soon as they announce it, I'm expecting it.

jetah
09-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Email and ks app will tell me.

The_Wine_Gnat
09-20-2013, 10:25 AM
I am. Trying to distract myself with updates and deck lists.

Rieper
09-20-2013, 10:28 AM
I got email setup on my galaxy, so when ever i get mail i get a litttle "bottle opener taking cap of beer/cola" sound. And since i normally only drink cola from cans(cheaper here), the sound is so out place i know instantly i got mail! :P

So no need for refreshing, just gonna watch world war z while waiting for sound

hex_colin
09-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Hey all,
With alpha news just a few hours away, I was wondering how many people are hitting F5 right now on the hextcg.com home page just waiting for that glorious post!

I am... The time draws near... :)

Frank1397
09-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Watching anime to pass time

MoikPEI
09-20-2013, 10:32 AM
I think the updates generally come out 4pm AST (in 1h30mins approx).
I won't be rreeaaally paying close attention until then.

Bastinazus
09-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Hm I wouldn't put too much hope in a hypothetical game release today... just saying. The pain will be less.

ol4ever
09-20-2013, 10:36 AM
i wouldn't break my f5 today, because probably it isn't today that the alpha will start.

hex_colin
09-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Hm I wouldn't put too much hope in a hypothetical game release today... just saying. The pain will be less.

Oh, they're definitely not releasing it today - but we will finally have an actual date! And information about the pre-alpha stream most likely.

Jinxies
09-20-2013, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they announce the alpha start date today however ^__^

The_Wine_Gnat
09-20-2013, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they announce the alpha start date today however ^__^

Well they are supposed to. I have winners to announce for the cookie drawing. :D

mttgamer
09-20-2013, 10:41 AM

They definately said they would in the kickstarter:

We'll have everything you need to know about alpha in next week's update

source: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/598328

Sholynyk
09-20-2013, 10:42 AM
The alpha will probably be released on the 27th of this month, not today sadly. and i think thats what the last update said, we were going to get a crud ton of card releases today and next week we get alpha

mttgamer
09-20-2013, 10:45 AM
My pipe dream right now is a full set 1 spoiler :) but if not I will get that next week when we get the alpha hopefully!

Shadowelf
09-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Don't get your hopes up; What we most probably be getting today is a date for Alpha and/or details on how to make and register an account for it

Conjugate
09-20-2013, 10:56 AM
This ^

Daer
09-20-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm expecting them to announce a stream for the 27th and the alpha to begin Sept. 30th - Oct. 4th

Kami
09-20-2013, 11:38 AM
First part of update up:

http://hextcg.com/card-previews-september-20th/

mttgamer
09-20-2013, 11:39 AM
First part of update up:

http://hextcg.com/card-previews-september-20th/

ya Beat me to the punch!

Showsni
09-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Well, a flying Inspirer was pretty much bound to come along sooner or later. I imagine he's going to be drafted pretty highly! THis plus the inspirer that gives your troops the Magpie effect sounds like a fun draft deck to make.

And I suppose this is a bit like Double Strike, only less confusing. I love me some double strike, though at 6 cost it's probably too high for constructed. I can see it topping some curves in limited, though.

Mercadian
09-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Don't fly himself :/

Rycajo
09-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Don't fly himself :/

The 2 health is a serious issue as well. A likely Burn target.

ossuary
09-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Unless of course you have something out that buffs him, like the kraken guard mariner guy.

Showsni
09-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Of course, it "dies to removal." I wonder if this would have been better as a 2/3? Maybe they playtested it and found that was a bit too strong?

jaxsonbatemanhex
09-20-2013, 11:56 AM
The flight inspirer is pretty good in draft. He's on curve, so even though he's not evasive his power level is fine. But flight is awesome to inspire with - imagine not having to rely on your charge powers to give all your future 3+ drops evasion! That's amazing for a troop that has on curve power itself.

The double damage guy could make the cut in a ruby draft deck, but he's not overly impressive. Unless you give him swiftstrike, that 3 defense is a major problem for a 6 drop.

Shadowspawn
09-20-2013, 11:56 AM
flying inspire is VERY strong. 2 Def is appropriate. No flying is appropriate. This card is STRONG.

Sholynyk
09-20-2013, 11:57 AM
worst. . phoenix. . ever. . .makes me just want to eat it rather than think its a majestic magical creature. . .going to give my mushwocky the mossy gloves and make him eat it. . .

ossuary
09-20-2013, 11:57 AM
ge guy could make the cut in a ruby draft deck, but he's not overly impressive. Unless you give him swiftstrike, that 3 defense is a major problem for a 6 drop.

Yeah, that guy basically lives as a late-gamer in an inspire deck, or he doesn't live at all. Talk about a lightning rod. :)

dogmod
09-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Could be interesting in wild/ruby deck with ramp, pumps, and auras. The 1 threshold definitely makes him slightly more palatable.

ossuary
09-20-2013, 11:59 AM
worst. . phoenix. . ever. . .makes me just want to eat it rather than think its a majestic magical creature. . .going to give my mushwocky the mossy gloves and make him eat it. . .

He's not a phoenix. He's a trainer, for something called "The Phoenix Guard," presumably humans that all ride flying mounts, given the description and image. :)

Estar1
09-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Yet another Red 5-6 drop who wants lots of inspires (others being legionare of gaiwanee and the falconeer)

the Phoenix guard is real nice though was expecting a 2/2 to have the insipire flight.

ssg13
09-20-2013, 12:05 PM
I am hitting F5, but not for Hex update. I am hitting F5 to get Hearthstone Beta key. I know I will get Hex Alpha access, but HS access is much much more harder to find.

Falaris
09-20-2013, 12:15 PM
I know I'm waiting for this update :)

Showsni
09-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Phoenix Guard Scout has at least been on the wikis and so on for a while - it's a Wind Drake. (2/2 flyer for 3 with 1 Sapphire threshhold). So, the trainer gives it double flying!

I do wonder why all the Phoenixes are giant canaries.

hex_colin
09-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Phoenix Guard Scout has at least been on the wikis and so on for a while - it's a Wind Drake. (2/2 flyer for 3 with 1 Sapphire threshhold). So, the trainer gives it double flying!

I do wonder why all the Phoenixes are giant canaries.

Cory and I talked for a long time about finding artists, art budgets, etc. at DragonCon. They had to do a LOT of the Set 1 art on a pretty tight budget. And my sense is that they're not entirely happy with the way some of it came out - the "canaries" might be an example of that.

I'm sure they'd like to redo some of it, but wouldn't risk the mutiny if it caused Alpha to be delayed. ;) The good news is that I think we'll see much higher quality overall for Set 2 and beyond (now that they have more breathing room from a money perspective).

EmraldArcher
09-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Turn 2 flying anthem
Turn 3 this guy plus champion power
Turn 4 profit

EmraldArcher
09-20-2013, 12:29 PM
Cory and I talked for a long time about finding artists, art budgets, etc. at DragonCon. They had to do a LOT of the Set 1 art on a pretty tight budget. And my sense is that they're not entirely happy with the way some of it came out - the "canaries" might be an example of that.

I'm sure they'd like to redo some of it, but wouldn't risk the mutiny if it caused Alpha to be delayed. ;) The good news is that I think we'll see much higher quality overall for Set 2 and beyond (now that they have more breathing room from a money perspective).

To be honest, the art for this game is probably the thing I like least about it.

I feel like you could have just gone to deviant art and found some random unknown artists and gotten the same or better quality for cheaper.

Sevein
09-20-2013, 12:31 PM
So i have been gone for a while. mostly because the more i am involved the more i cant wait. I see a lot of talk about alpha being a topic this friday from crypto. is that stated or is it something the comunity guess cause "its about time"?

MoikPEI
09-20-2013, 12:32 PM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts
Last Friday they said they would be giving Alpha details today.

hex_colin
09-20-2013, 12:32 PM
So i have been gone for a while. mostly because the more i am involved the more i cant wait. I see a lot of talk about alpha being a topic this friday from crypto. is that stated or is it something the comunity guess cause "its about time"?

Last week's KS update promised all the Alpha details today, including the date! Patiently we wait...

Sevein
09-20-2013, 12:33 PM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts
Last Friday they said they would be giving Alpha details today.

thx man! you just killed my patience...

edit: u2 colin... :D

Shadowelf
09-20-2013, 12:34 PM

We are eagerly awaiting for Alpha details

we're quickly coming up on the end of September, and you know what that means: Alpha! We'll have everything you need to know about alpha in next week's update
(http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts)

Edit triple beaten..wow; I must be getting rusty :)

Sevein
09-20-2013, 12:36 PM
We are eagerly awaiting for Alpha details

we're quickly coming up on the end of September, and you know what that means: Alpha! We'll have everything you need to know about alpha in next week's update
(http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts)

jesus christ theres no blizzard about crypto i see :D keeping promises n shit!

Gorgol
09-20-2013, 12:38 PM
To be honest, the art for this game is probably the thing I like least about it.

I feel like you could have just gone to deviant art and found some random unknown artists and gotten the same or better quality for cheaper.
definitely agree. Sadly, these cards will be peoples first impressions along with everything else. If it takes to set 2 or beyond for the great art, some people may just turn away, especially given how pretty things like Hearthstone are.

MoikPEI
09-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Edit triple beaten..wow :)
Did you need to go get the link?
I already have it open :)
That's what I'm F5ing.

Slish
09-20-2013, 12:41 PM
I hope they give all the alpha info indeed! Can't be patient anymore..

Oh, BTW what do you guys think of the art on the phoenix guard? It looks like a big housebird to me.. :( Im not the one usually hating on things but this art is pretty bad? I know crypto can do alot better!

Shadowelf
09-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Did you need to go get the link?
I already have it open :)
That's what I'm F5ing.

Had to copy/paste the part about alpha too...never mind, good job :)

Vengus
09-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Canary Guard Trainer

hex_colin
09-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Oh, BTW what do you guys think of the art on the phoenix guard? It looks like a big housebird to me.. :( Im not the one usually hating on things but this art is pretty bad? I know crypto can do alot better!

1500+ art assets, lots of new artists, pre-KS money (or lack thereof), tight timelines ;)

havocattack
09-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Jeez you guys being so negative, I for one love the artwork in Hex

mttgamer
09-20-2013, 12:46 PM
I hope they give all the alpha info indeed! Can't be patient anymore..

They can always replace the art later. And i'd be more then glad if they did that to replace the "canaries" into phoenixe!

EmraldArcher
09-20-2013, 12:47 PM
They can always replace the art later. And i'd be more then glad if they did that to replace the "canaries" into phoenixe!

Id rather they spend money on art for new sets rather then going back and replacing the art for cards that would almost be out of standard rotation by the time it was done.

Slish
09-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Jeez you guys being so negative, I for one love the artwork in Hex

Im not negative at all! I can name plenty cards of which I think the art is freaking awesome! :D
Just this card disappointed me by quite a bit, especially cuz I know they can do alot better!

Lunarath
09-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Why are you assuming the bird is supposed to be a phoenix. Phoenix guard doesn't have to mean riding phoenixes. We have a thing in my country called bear guard. They don't exactly ride bears.

Yubar
09-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Maybe the alt art will be amazing for it. Ive never liked that bird personally, doesn't give the fabulous cards its on credit, also not intimidating at all.

MoikPEI
I'm assuming that Kraken Guards are Guards who specialize in fighting the Kraken, and that Phoenix Guards are Guards who specialize in fighting the Phoenix.

hex_colin
Why are you assuming the bird is supposed to be a phoenix. Phoenix guard doesn't have to mean riding phoenixes. We have a thing in my country called bear guard. They don't exactly ride bears.

Bear fights? ;) We're still short a bear fight...

Yubar
09-20-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm assuming that Kraken Guards are Guards who specialize in fighting the Kraken, and that Phoenix Guards are Guards who specialize in fighting the Phoenix.

Awesome analysis!

DrakarT
09-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Maybe after the next refresh..

PetyrBaelish
09-20-2013, 12:53 PM
I think the canaries would have been ok if it was for shin hare troops. Also just because it says phoenix guard in the title doesnt mean they have to fly on a phoenix. It could just be title and have nothing to do with what they ride. But yeah I agree would be badass if it was a phoenix.

QuartZ
09-20-2013, 12:54 PM
would be fun if they couldn't post the update because of lots of people refreshing ttheir page non stop ;D
Im one of them

QuartZ
09-20-2013, 12:55 PM
We also have the Quimera guards a well...who rides a horse and has magnificent art IMO

ol4ever
09-20-2013, 01:00 PM
it's taking too long, somebody save us please!

Showsni
09-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Oh, I quite like the giant canaries. I was just wondering if there was a story there. Are canaries the only giant birds, or will we see giant wrens, magpies and hoopoes? Maybe canaries are just the easiest to train. Or possibly they start as normal canaries and get magically grown, in which case perhaps there's something about them that makes them survive the process well.

Of course, real world canaries are famous for being used in mines as detectors of bad air (by, you know, acting distressed and dying). Perhaps giant canaries can magically detect Phoenix breath? (Hopefully not by dying, which would seem to be disadvantageous to their riders.)

MoikPEI
09-20-2013, 01:02 PM
One of the update emails I have arrived at like 8pm.
It's possible we still have hours yet to go.

havocattack
09-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Guys, they are very deliberate in their art, the bird is MEANT to look like that... not a phoenix -_-

Gorgol
One of the update emails I have arrived at like 8pm.
It's possible we still have hours yet to go.

No don't say that. :(

mttgamer
Guys, they are very deliberate in their art, the bird is MEANT to look like that... not a phoenix -_-

I look forward to an explanation as to why they trained giant Canaries heh

nearlysober
09-20-2013, 01:06 PM
can't expect them to start off their training on a mighty phoenix... gotta start small

MoikPEI
09-20-2013, 01:06 PM
I think it's supposed to be a giant hatchling of something more fearsome.
Like, maybe the Phoenix Guard Trainer doesn't train a human to ride a Phoenix, it trains a Roc to carry humans to the fight with a Phoenix.

ossuary
09-20-2013, 01:07 PM
We have a thing in my country called bear guard. They don't exactly ride bears.

Still, that must be pretty disappointing. What is Kyle supposed to fight, if nobody is riding any bears?

The_Wine_Gnat
09-20-2013, 01:08 PM
definitely agree. Sadly, these cards will be peoples first impressions along with everything else. If it takes to set 2 or beyond for the great art, some people may just turn away, especially given how pretty things like Hearthstone are.

I severely doubt people will turn away from Hex b/c of certain art styles. What everyone is forgetting is that this is a digital TCG. As such they can always update the art later or add different styles of art you can unlock / win in treasure chests.

Gwaer
09-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Bear fights? ;) We're still short a bear fight...
One of the secrets I am keeping is details on the bear fight situation. =P

Yubar
09-20-2013, 01:18 PM
whoa u guys think they're giant canaries? I always thought the gaurds were teenie weenie *mind blown*

Idus
09-20-2013, 01:19 PM
Haven't you guys every heard a Canary sing? It's deafening. Imagine that scaled up 100 times. That thing must be badass. It could probably bring down keep walls!

Kami
09-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Up: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/605035

Gorgol
09-20-2013, 01:25 PM
so no draft right away? poop. And targetted for October 8th. Not bad.

Mistborn
09-20-2013, 01:27 PM
A lot of the art is fine, great even, but there are definitely some pokemonish pieces that make me cringe.

Shadowelf
09-20-2013, 01:27 PM
I don't think that they will be changing art on cards. Considering their sensitivity on changing cards (nerfing) and their sense of ownership, seems pretty difficult to me. If they decide to do it is either before we get those cards in our hands or provide AAs

1. Changing the text (art)* on a card is the last thing we would want to do via errata, but it is an option on the table. Players will be chasing, purchasing, and will become attached to certain cards. Changing those cards is a terrible option.

[...]But Ben wants to at least treat the players as owners of their cards, which I appreciate. As owners, we don’t want to be told we can’t play with the goods we bought. But, and Ben uses an analogy here, no one wants to find that one night someone snuck into their house with a sharpie and changed the (art)* wording on their cards, either, it violates our sense of ownership (misplaced though it might be)[...] (http://hexmusings.wordpress.com/2013/08/25/designer-interview-part-2/)

*art=placed here by me as an example

Vengus
09-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Seems they aren't sure on the oct 8th date. It might be better if they stop giving dates for now until they've dealt with the issues.

Xenavire
09-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Well, that doesn't leave me any time to play. Going by the estimated date and the estimated waves, it will land on the same day as Pokemon X/Y when I finally get my invite. And as much as I am hyped for Hex, I am not going to split my playtime, Pokemon I have been waiting for longer, and I am going to be playing with my friends. A week earlier or later and I wouldn't even be bothered, but I refuse to rush through one game just to be able to play the other.

Glad I get the chance to save my name and stuff, will be doing that the second I can log in, then I will likely be off for about 4-5 days while I finish Pokemon.

Hemotherapy
09-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Well, that doesn't leave me any time to play. Going by the estimated date and the estimated waves, it will land on the same day as Pokemon X/Y when I finally get my invite. And as much as I am hyped for Hex, I am not going to split my playtime, Pokemon I have been waiting for longer, and I am going to be playing with my friends. A week earlier or later and I wouldn't even be bothered, but I refuse to rush through one game just to be able to play the other.

Glad I get the chance to save my name and stuff, will be doing that the second I can log in, then I will likely be off for about 4-5 days while I finish Pokemon.

What IS pokemon X/Y? I heard someone say it's like Red Blue again but the starting 3 guys have an extra evolution, and it's got more depth to it?

Xenavire
09-20-2013, 01:49 PM
What IS pokemon X/Y? I heard someone say it's like Red Blue again but the starting 3 guys have an extra evolution, and it's got more depth to it?

There is a ton of updates to the series, and a lot of good things. I will bullet point a few major things.

1) Fairy type. A new type after years of the same stuff, even though it is a slightly silly name. It is a fairly major addition, but it isn't even the biggest surprise.
2) Mega-Evolutions. Still not completely clear on the details, but the short of it is there are new hold items you give your pokemon, and they will temporarily evolve during battle (think similar to formes) giving them a large power boost. There are limits, but there is still a lot of info that needs to be clarified.
3) 3D Pokemon models. This is a huge step up, and while there are people who will miss the sprites, the models look like they were ripped out of an anime - absolutely stunning, they really look amazing.

As for being like Red/Blue, I disagree, this seems more like Gold/Silver. Black and White attempted to 'reboot' the series, to give it a feeling of freshness (only able to catch new pokemon until after the pokemon league) but X/Y shares similarities with Gold and Silver, like new types, new evolution methods, new mechanics, and things that will become standard from now on (like the day/night in gold and silver, for example.)

So there is a lot added and a lot to take in. I suggest visiting the official site, and soaking up all the info, or if you prefer to avoid spoilers, just buy the game. I can say with a fair amount of certainty it will be worth the buy, at least.

Sorry about the massive wall of text, theres a lot I didn't even mention - just goes to show how much has been added, not to mention everything added in the previous games over the years.

jetah
09-21-2013, 07:58 AM

multitask. Hex on laptop while pokemon x/y (on portable i presume). at the very least you can look at the hex cards.

Xenavire
09-21-2013, 09:40 AM
multitask. Hex on laptop while pokemon x/y (on portable i presume). at the very least you can look at the hex cards.

I just can't do that, not with two games I am so passionate about, and not when I can potentially gain access to them on the same day. I would just enjoy both of them less, so I am going with my original plan - Pokemon takes priority over all other games. As much as I have invested in Hex on good faith, I have invested far more on Pokemon.

I will get around to Hex, and I am a little sad it kept getting pushed back (I was going to play Hex until Pokemon released.)

I mean in an ideal world I would have enough time for both. And as much as I would benefit from alpha being delayed even more, I would find it a real shame for everyone else, so I hope invites start on the 8th.

jetah
09-21-2013, 10:53 AM
I just can't do that, not with two games I am so passionate about, and not when I can potentially gain access to them on the same day. I would just enjoy both of them less, so I am going with my original plan - Pokemon takes priority over all other games. As much as I have invested in Hex on good faith, I have invested far more on Pokemon.

I will get around to Hex, and I am a little sad it kept getting pushed back (I was going to play Hex until Pokemon released.)

I mean in an ideal world I would have enough time for both. And as much as I would benefit from alpha being delayed even more, I would find it a real shame for everyone else, so I hope invites start on the 8th.

so, you'll be playing pokemon all day without any breaks? Pokemon will have no points where you can set it down and view a couple of HEX cards then continue back with Pokemon?

Xenavire
09-21-2013, 03:55 PM
so, you'll be playing pokemon all day without any breaks? Pokemon will have no points where you can set it down and view a couple of HEX cards then continue back with Pokemon?

It is less about the actual time spent, and more about dividing my attention. I want to be able to focus on Pokemon without distractions - that means no Hex until I am effectively 'done' with Pokemon.

Prism
09-22-2013, 12:30 AM

I agree. MTG's art is leagues better. Hopefully when they have more time they will improve some of it. Or just make set 2 better.

hex_colin
09-22-2013, 11:23 AM
I agree. MTG's art is leagues better. Hopefully when they have more time they will improve some of it. Or just make set 2 better.

MtG's Set 1 art is better than Hex's Set 1 art? ;) Definitely not... You can't really compare the art assets on later sets of MtG (when WotC/Hasbro was printing money!) to the art of a game that CZE was struggling to launch before the Kickstarter.