PDA

View Full Version : Make it possible for a person to join multiple guilds?

Yasi
09-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Since everything is account bounded and there's only need to create one account because of The Keep, shouldn't players be allowed to join multiple guilds? There are so many good guilds popping up and it would suck if I can only join one.

Kami
09-20-2013, 10:22 AM
This has been brought up before and I have mixed opinions.

On one hand, I like the concept of "Linkshells" as seen in the FF-Online series of games but then again, having a single guild would make competitive guild play more viable.

Shadowspawn
09-20-2013, 10:43 AM
i thought they had insinuated (or we had inferred) that Guilds would be character bound... meaning you can run through a different guild for each character (similar to WoW). This makes most sense to me.

hex_colin
09-20-2013, 10:53 AM
i thought they had insinuated (or we had inferred) that Guilds would be character bound... meaning you can run through a different guild for each character (similar to WoW). This makes most sense to me.

That was definitely the plan. Makes it simple to join multiple guilds obvioudly. There are drawbacks though - guilds potentially having to choose a faction and all of the associated annoyances that could bring (guilds maintaining 2 faction-specific guilds, not being able to gchat with your guildmates when you want to progress the other faction's story, etc.

Ogodei
09-20-2013, 10:55 AM

Problem is "characters" are PvE only (since you play with preset champions in PvP). If what you state is true, it would mean that guilds are PvE only too, which would be rubbish.

Then again, it has also been stated that guilds are limited to one faction only, which would support your statement. I really hope they don't do that.

I like the idea of joining multiple guilds though, although I understand both sides of the argument. It would depend a lot of game mechanics (such as guild vs guild battles then again THAT would count as PvP I suppose?)

zadies
09-20-2013, 02:56 PM
I thought they dropped the PvP concept with guilds and went with small account bound teams as opposed to chapter and faction bound guilds.

Shadowelf
09-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Well since you can have both ardent and underworld champions in the same account, it would make sense to allow you to choose a guild for both sides if you want to (http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:33:00)

Also your process will be saved by faction and not by character. (http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:35:00)

Gorgol
09-20-2013, 06:06 PM
I thought guilds were PVE and teams were PVP, thought I heard that somewhere. That they were two separate things.

jetah
09-20-2013, 06:39 PM
it would be nice to have guilds for both pve and pvp. those wanting to pvp wouldnt matter what faction you were in, maybe you have to 'declare' one but it wouldnt matter. CZE could have something chat channels that we could create/join that would be for chatting only. This would allow 1 guild to house both factions (but really why limit it to 1 faction) in 2 guilds but tied together via the chat channel.

I'd like to see guild alliance chat as well. when multiple guilds band together, a new alliance channel is created.

zadies
09-21-2013, 06:04 AM
Really all they need are custom password protected chat channels that are auto joined as an example cryptics games.

keldrin
09-26-2013, 12:45 AM
I really favor the whole one account, one guild line of thought.
But, I can see the idea that if guilds are forced to choose a faction, and we can have characters in the same account for both factions, then maybe it should be 1 guild per faction.
(I'm left wondering, how much guild membership will reshuffle if our preferred faction isn't the one our current guild chooses)

Ogodei
09-26-2013, 02:58 AM
After having played Magic: 2014 against some random people yesterday, I would really, really like to see guilds that also – or even mostly – act as PvP communities (and not PvE only, which seems what they have planned from the info we got so far). Call me elitist – but there's so many jerks out there that I prefer to choose the community to play with and people to play AGAINST. Or at least I would like to have the option to do so. (That doesn't mean I don't want to play in public torunaments or against random people from time to time as well.)

Of course, a lot can be achieved with friends lists and private chat channels (= linkshells), but there is so much more you could do within a guild. Guild banks (= sharing decks) is one thing that has been mentioned, but so many more possibilities open up if you start thinking about guild rankings, guild-only or guild vs. guild tournaments, etc. Things you just can't do with PvP-teams of 8 people.

As for joining multiple guilds (assuming they work as above and not just for PvE), I think the problem is that it would make things like guild vs. guild battles difficult. Especially if you can eventually win prices like packs or plat.

While writing I had this idea: guild wars! Imagine a "war" that would last for a fixed time frame (like a day, week or month). During that time, players from the opposing guilds could challenge each other as often as they like and this way, accumulate points. When the time is up, the guild with the most points wins!

As a sidenote, I've been too lazy to read the whole guild-thread that's been started by Cory (shame on me), so I don't know what's been discussed there already.

keldrin
09-26-2013, 03:35 AM
Yeah, if guild vs guild activity is possible, and there can be involvement with guilds in PVP, being in just one guild would make more sense.
I do like the guild war thing. And there's been forum talk of it being cool, if we could have guild keeps to defend.
Also, to me, if I'm in a medium to large guild, it makes it harder to get to know the people you are playing with, since it will split your activity between guilds. The current guilds are already very active on their websites, which takes some effort to keep up with. And that is going to increase significantly once there's a actual game to play. It would be a pain, trying to be truely active in multiple guilds.

Shadowelf
09-26-2013, 03:44 AM
Guys this is what we know so far;

1)There will be a friends list, guild bank

1) There is a mail system, so you can just mail things to people that are offline.
2) Friends list = Yes!
3) Guild Bank = Yes, not sure if there will be a common pool to access, but there will be common decks. Let me explain:

Guildies will be able to create decks and put them into the guild bank (I believe there are a limited number of slots). Any guild member will then be able to "check them out" and play them against other guild members (can't play them against non-guild members or in tournaments). Think of this like a "gauntlet" where you put all the best decks in the current format in there, then you and your guildies test out all your decks against the guild decks to see if your strategies are working. We want to make sure deck testing is easy and intuitive for you.

You won't be able to trade the cards in these decks, and the original owner can check them back out for good or just to modify them. Also, only one person can have one of these checked in decks in a game at a time.

Lastly, we are also thinking of some way for guilds to gain the ability to have the top decks of major tournaments populated into their deck repository to play against.

2)There will be guild leagues/guild tournaments

We'll have guild leagues for sure, but now you got me thinking about guild-only tournaments...!!!!

3)There will be guild rankings

390K - Add Guild Ranking and Guild Tournament Support

Enter into guild tournaments where you and your friends will earn points towards increasing your guild's ranking with monthly prizes for top guilds. Each win gets you closer to glory, and losses doesn't cost your guild any points.

(update #5 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts?page=9)

Ogodei
09-26-2013, 06:25 AM
Thanks for that, Shadowelf! Some of that info kinda contradicts other "facts" (and rumours) we heard though, like guilds being PvE only and for PvP there being only 8-person teams. Also that you'd join guilds with your PvE characters instead of your account doesn't quite make sense in that context.

I suppose the whole topic needs some clarification from the devs, since the information that's out there so far is pretty confusing (probably they don't know themselves yet how to handle it exactly).

Shadowelf
09-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Thanks for that, Shadowelf! Some of that info kinda contradicts other "facts" (and rumours) we heard though, like guilds being PvE only and for PvP there being only 8-person teams. Also that you'd join guilds with your PvE characters instead of your account doesn't quite make sense in that context.

I suppose the whole topic needs some clarification from the devs, since the information that's out there so far is pretty confusing (probably they don't know themselves yet how to handle it exactly).

Yeap my guess is that they haven't yet figure out how exactly they want the guilds to work. But they got time since guilds will be a beta/launch feature. Maybe that's why they are gathering feedback ?

Guild names are later, that will be part of Beta / PVE launch

But you can always make an ardent and an underworld part of a guild;

1)There will one Guild Leader
2)assigning roles and officers to both parts of the guild;all will have direct communication
3)you need one GM tier backer in each part of the guild to receive the 10% xp bonus (he doesn't have to be the guild leader for the bonus to apply)

1: They do not have to be the guild leader, they just have to be in the guild. It does not stack.

4)you can assign pvp teams within each part of the the guild

5)each guild will have its own ranking

Of course it is more complicated than it could have been if joining guilds was account bound, but it can be done.

jetah
09-26-2013, 10:04 AM
The only problem I see with being able to join multiple guilds is if CZE does GvG.

Shadowelf
09-26-2013, 10:33 AM
The only problem I see with being able to join multiple guilds is if CZE does GvG.

There will GvG; check what i linked/quoted above; Also

Tournaments will be the battlegrounds on which these guilds will clash and the world will be watching

(http://hextcg.com/the-guild-experience/)

As how cze can solve it is by clicking a player's name or when a player joins a game, you will be able to see his account name, just like it was in Diablo 2. This will solve the problem of people joining multiple guilds for tournaments.

As for how they can do it, the options are many;

1)league sytem; Ardent guilds fighting between themselves in a sort of league system;same with the Underworld ones. Then the winner of each league fight each other for the grand champion

2)an invite system

3)swiss system (all the guilds involved both ardent and underworld)

Grumph
09-26-2013, 11:22 AM
How will they bind a guild to a character? I thought characters(champions) were something that you bound to a deck not something that was selected at log in like traditional mmos. What about mercs? Do i need to get a separate guild invite for each merc?

Ogodei
09-26-2013, 11:32 AM
That's why I think that if guilds are relevant for PvP in any way it only makes sense to join a guild with the whole account (account=player, why should there be a difference?) and not with individual characters (which, as we know, are only a PvE thing). This also means one guild per ccount only.

Shadowelf
09-26-2013, 11:38 AM
How will they bind a guild to a character? I thought characters(champions) were something that you bound to a deck not something that was selected at log in like traditional mmos. What about mercs? Do i need to get a separate guild invite for each merc?

Unlike champions, there are not faction specific mercs (at least at the moment). Your pve champion will be either ardent or underworld, and will only be able to join guilds associated to his faction. Being ardent or underworld affects your pve experience because it limits your access to certain quests or dungeons (but not raids) and your pve process will be saved by faction. You can have both ardent/underworld champion's in your account that share the same collection of cards

All is explained here http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:33:00

Also chempions for both sides http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 0:25:45
everything in one account http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 0:26:44

Gwaer
09-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Actually, he discusses having two keeps, an ardent and an underworld one. Leading me to believe if your guild is one faction or the other the guild will actually bind to your keep, and you'd have one for each. How would that work? I have no idea. What is switching between them like? Will they have two seperate names? Two logins? I've no idea. If I had to guess, and they definitely end up going down that path that's how it would be implemented.

Grumph
09-26-2013, 11:49 AM
If i join a guild from each faction and i have 10 non faction aligned mercs do they belong in both guilds? Do i have to choose which guild my mercs are in? If so getting 10 seperate invites for my mercs sounds like a hassle, not to mention every time i get a new merc or make a new champ

Gwaer
09-26-2013, 11:52 AM
I would assume they mercs would be in whichever guild the keep they are attached to is in. How do you attach mercs to a particular keep? Can you move them between keeps? I have no idea.

keldrin
09-26-2013, 02:36 PM
If you end up having to have a guild for each faction, I wonder if CZE would object to the same guild, making two versions of their guild to serve both sides of their member pool, sharing the same guild website and resources.
Like Clan BlackBlade could be underworld. And Clan WhiteBlade, Ardent.

Gwaer
09-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Someone already suggested we change to UnderBlade and ArdentBlade if that's the way it goes. We'll see what happens.

Shadowelf
09-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Actually, he discusses having two keeps, an ardent and an underworld one. Leading me to believe if your guild is one faction or the other the guild will actually bind to your keep, and you'd have one for each. How would that work? I have no idea. What is switching between them like? Will they have two seperate names? Two logins? I've no idea. If I had to guess, and they definitely end up going down that path that's how it would be implemented.

Well i suppose that both keeps will belong to the same account, since Cory has that everything will be played in a single account ( http://www.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/413067790 check 0:26:44). What will most probably be happening is that you create champions in the same account and the ardent ones will be named after your ardent keep (zoltog of black rock ) and your underworld ones after your underworld keep (http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/b/412300360 check 0:32:40). Yeap this is speculation based on what Cory was saying at the video i linked.

I would assume they mercs would be in whichever guild the keep they are attached to is in. How do you attach mercs to a particular keep? Can you move them between keeps? I have no idea.

So far mercs are only confirmed to be used in dungeons. They can't be used at raids and as for keeps we don't yet know (http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:26:10).

Grumph
09-26-2013, 04:13 PM
No mercs in raids? Thats a major bummer

jetah
09-26-2013, 04:25 PM
My only problem is that in GvG you could just swap to whichever guild was doing the best. Assuming you happened to be in 2 guilds that are doing GvG against each other, slim chance. But with free accounts anyone could create a guild just match fix.

It would be nice to have 1 guild in which we could have 2 'sides' to. Meaning a guild would have both ardent and underworld sides. This would help guilds that will create both factions and create a chat channel just to chat with each other. The 2 sides would be separated however you could still chat with each other. Gbank would be faction specific but we'd have to have 2 GBanks.

It would just make it easier for the players to have both factions under one guild banner (name).

Gwaer
09-26-2013, 04:43 PM
We don't know mercs can't be used in raids. Also, it doesn't matter whether they can only be used in dungeons or not. If you're playing in a dungeon with a merc, you should still have access to guild chats.

Shadowelf
09-26-2013, 04:47 PM

It appears so http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:26:10

Mercenaries are available for hire should you know the right man, woman, shroomkin, or astral monkey to call. They allow you to shake up your PVE experience with new decks, strategies, and charge powers. You can enlist them to help you through tricky dungeons, or you can just decide that you’d rather be a gang-running mushroom instead. If you’re having problems with a dungeon designed around quick attackers and damage, you can call up Mooof. His shroomkin buddies will keep you high in health while you collect all the loots. (http://hextcg.com/game/champion/)

My only problem is that in GvG you could just swap to whichever guild was doing the best. Assuming you happened to be in 2 guilds that are doing GvG against each other, slim chance. But with free accounts anyone could create a guild just match fix.

How cze can solve it, as i said earlier, is by clicking a player's name or when a player joins a game, you will be able to see his account name, just like it was in Diablo 2. This might solve the problem of people joining multiple guilds for tournaments.

Also note that guild tournaments might require an entrance fee, and that could pose problems to players that created those accounts for this sole reason, because they will need an additional cc to pay for that fee. Granted they could transfer plat between accounts, but we don't yet know how easy this will be

You won't need a credit card to create an account, just to make purchases on the account (there will also be other payment options, but they are still being explored)

Aradon
09-26-2013, 04:47 PM
I went back and listened to the linked clip, because I was surprised with the 'mercs only in dungeons.' What they say is that "You can use this as your champion, for a dungeon." Strictly speaking, if that is their definition, they sound limited to dungeons. It's entirely possible, though, that this was just a colloquial example.

Shadowelf
09-26-2013, 05:04 PM
I went back and listened to the linked clip, because I was surprised with the 'mercs only in dungeons.' What they say is that "You can use this as your champion, for a dungeon." Strictly speaking, if that is their definition, they sound limited to dungeons. It's entirely possible, though, that this was just a colloquial example.

This is from their description of mercs at hextcg.com. Raids are again not mentioned

Mercenaries are available for hire should you know the right man, woman, shroomkin, or astral monkey to call. They allow you to shake up your PVE experience with new decks, strategies, and charge powers. You can enlist them to help you through tricky dungeons, or you can just decide that you’d rather be a gang-running mushroom instead. If you’re having problems with a dungeon designed around quick attackers and damage, you can call up Mooof. His shroomkin buddies will keep you high in health while you collect all the loots. (http://hextcg.com/game/champion/)

Mercs will also be used for wild west http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:10:05

Gwaer
09-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Just because they have not mentioned raids doesn't mean they won't be allowed in raids. It's possible, but in no way certain.