PDA

View Full Version : October 8th! NOOOO :(

Falaris
09-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Man, I was really hoping for september :(

jaxsonbatemanhex
09-20-2013, 01:27 PM
October 8th is fine - not too long now, and it's good that they're more committed to quality than getting it out when it's not ready. ;-)

Gwaer
09-20-2013, 01:28 PM
It's actually a week sooner than I expected.

Motjida
09-20-2013, 01:29 PM
I threw up in my mouth a little...

syphonhail
09-20-2013, 01:29 PM
This gives me more time to hit Gold in league.

ol4ever
09-20-2013, 01:31 PM
What am I supposed to do until the 8th???

Beowolve
09-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Is what it is....remember we are talking Alpha here....also is is October 8th "MAYBE", don't forget that.

nicosharp
09-20-2013, 01:33 PM
LOL, I hope my account doesn't decay anymore - I went from Gold 1 to Gold 5 in 4 months from ELO decay, I think I've played 3 ARAMs since then and nothing else. I've fallen into DOTA2.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't say I am surprised, it's just painful. Damn, I was so optimistic to think we would see it in August too.

Hemotherapy
09-20-2013, 01:35 PM
That's sooner than I was prepping myself for, so I'm happy

vickrpg
09-20-2013, 01:35 PM
This is the kind of thing that makes me understand Blizzard's Release date policy "When is it going to be ready?" "When it's done. sit down, shut up and wait."

Gorgol
09-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Well, at least its before the end of the year, so I'm happy!

Jinxies
09-20-2013, 01:39 PM
I was hoping for the first week of October but this is okay ^__^

Halfgrin
09-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Wish PvE was available in alpha.... oh well.... let's hope you tcg pro's will be a little gentle xD. Man was really hoping for alpha this month, but their alpha -> beta schedule looked very optimistic in the start so figured it'd get pushed back least one time.

Lets hope no unexpected problems occur and alpha opens up the 8th of October :)

MercuryMonkey
09-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Good timing! Leaves a week to play the Terraria update first. Not sure what to do until Oct. 1st then... Would be nice if posts expressed a more positive sentiment, instead of "NOOOO :(". Makes me think of a child throwing a tantrum. Maybe the cake should go in the garbage if you can't wait for it?

majin
09-20-2013, 01:55 PM
this is a game development project. no one can predict, even the devs on when stages of a project can be completed as there are a lot of variables.

i'm actually happy that they estimate they can manage to get alpha out at oct 8, I am already prepared that there will be a month long delay

houjix
I'm good with October 8th. We get it when it is (mostly)ready instead of something rushed. Small delays garner much less negative press than bad a product that was rushed.

The_Wine_Gnat
LOL, I hope my account doesn't decay anymore - I went from Gold 1 to Gold 5 in 4 months from ELO decay, I think I've played 3 ARAMs since then and nothing else. I've fallen into DOTA2.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I can't say I am surprised, it's just painful. Damn, I was so optimistic to think we would see it in August too.

I finally got to Platinum 4 last week, up from Silver 5 earlier in the season.

Aruken
09-20-2013, 02:02 PM
It's October 8th … maybe
After saying time and time again it will be for the end of september, I must say it does not look good really.
We might have to wait one more more before everyone get to play the alpha too.

Gorgol
09-20-2013, 02:03 PM
After saying time and time again it will be for the end of september, I must say it does not look good really.
We might have to wait one more more before everyone get to play the alpha too.

We need to be happy they even had Alpha as a stretch goal. If they didn't add that we'd still be waiting many many months before getting our hands on it. Be thankful it's just a few weeks.

Mercadian
09-20-2013, 02:03 PM
I am not too disappointed by the date, but I am disappointed with the details of the update we were promised alpha news but very little revealed. Waited all week for this update and it was a huge anticlimax

Ennarian
09-20-2013, 02:05 PM
This is the kind of thing that makes me understand Blizzard's Release date policy "When is it going to be ready?" "When it's done. sit down, shut up and wait."

Blizzard's release date policy also includes "... and when another popular title is about to be released."

Aerensiniac
09-20-2013, 02:06 PM
Well then it would seem that terraria has won this small time competition of release dates.
Thus im off to sandboxing for a month. See you in beta.

Soul-of-Void
09-20-2013, 02:07 PM
damn whole 8 days later than my bet :/ what to do now...

trapline
09-20-2013, 02:08 PM
where is this information?

Shadowelf
09-20-2013, 02:10 PM
where is this information?

Here update #47 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts

Soul-of-Void
09-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Too bad its so little info hoped for some more details, still hole they will get the game and server work good, thats the important part.

Glognar
09-20-2013, 02:17 PM
Looks like I'm going to be spending more time on MM: DoC than I expected

MoikPEI
09-20-2013, 02:20 PM
I'm concerned that CZE is being overly cautious.
The alpha scope doesn't seem too far away from the GenCon build. If they were simply worried about server load issues, they could start staggered account creation now and spread it over as long a period.

The update notes seem focused on bugs. I hope the alpha isn't being delayed over minor issues, regardless of their number. Blockers and Showstoppers, I can see and accept. But there's always more bugs. Even now in D3 there are places in Act 3 where loot drops into the scenery and I can't pick it up. Some things need to be accepted as shippable. On the average, we're a mature, creative, and helpful community. It's probably better to get us alpha sooner. Heck, in TUC we already have a Alpha Tests spreadsheet being worked on for the past few weeks.

I do feel concerned about consistent content delivery over the long term of multiple sets if CZE is surreptiously on a quixotic quest for perfection. These update notes create that worry in me rather than assuage it. I'm confident the game is better than what's needed for us to be happy and have a positive view of CZE's progress.

nicosharp
09-20-2013, 02:21 PM
I finally got to Platinum 4 last week, up from Silver 5 earlier in the season.

Nice. Your name looked super familiar, I probably have played with you in LOL. I used to be plat, but really gave up towards the end of Season 2. The only reason I played a few this season was because the placements had me higher on the curve, and some of my buddies were learning from spectating my games.

WalkingEye
09-20-2013, 02:27 PM
It would be better if they just gave the producer and immortal tier levels entry to alpha in September so they get to say that the alpha started then.

Hemotherapy
09-20-2013, 02:34 PM
It would be better if they just gave the producer and immortal tier levels entry to alpha in September so they get to say that the alpha started then.

Starting in September was part of the Kickstarter, not related to a particular pledge tier.

Holier than thou attitude much?

Just because someone spent a larger sum of money on the game in the beginning doesn't mean they should be granted ealier access over someone! C'mon!

Kami
09-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Just because someone spent a larger sum of money on the game in the beginning doesn't mean they should be granted ealier access over someone! C'mon!

I have mixed opinions on this. In various other games, that's exactly what happens. Like Collector's editions of MMORPGs that grant "Head-start" privileges.

However, Alpha was a stretch goal that was contributed to by everyone. If anything, it should be in order of pledge.

Then again, even having just the Dragon Lords and up in would only account for approximately 90 players.

Prophecy
Great a date at last and something to work with - time to catch up on the forums, spoilers, oh and join a clan - hex is coming !!

keldrin
This was a great update. Glad to have a firmish date to look at.
Also, glad no one hurt their ankle in that crevasse, and that those bandits didn't make off with your game!
And I'm so glad they emphasized there being bugs. It does 2 things
1) helps lower expectations of this being essentially a finished product
2) tells me they are doing their best to give us access as soon as reasonably possible, and maybe even a bit sooner than that.

Xtopher
It's October 8th .. maybe.. so make any solid plans to play that day.

Falaris
09-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Higher contributions should definitely be able to get in first. I don't see how that's even really a debate. Producers on down to Dragon Lord should rightly get the red carpet treatment.

No, I am not in any of the tiers that I just currently discussed.

Vibraxus
09-20-2013, 02:58 PM
I have mixed opinions on this. In various other games, that's exactly what happens. Like Collector's editions of MMORPGs that grant "Head-start" privileges.

However, Alpha was a stretch goal that was contributed to by everyone. If anything, it should be in order of pledge.

Then again, even having just the Dragon Lords and up in would only account for approximately 90 players.

Grand King and up then? :D

keldrin
09-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Grand King and up then? :D

If they go by the scenario of 500 first day, it would be above grand king, then probably in the grand king tier, in order of pledge day. So earlier backers would get in before the later grand king backers.

gohan661
09-20-2013, 03:15 PM
Great so a week with GTA Online to see if it's worth it if not it'll be Beyond two souls and Hex. peeeerfect

If it's in waves it should be first come first served. I was not in the first half but it's definitely the fairest

Gwaer
09-20-2013, 03:20 PM
I think it should be in order of longest awkward cory hug.

Prophecy
09-20-2013, 03:21 PM
longest hug = longest wait :-)

MoikPEI
09-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Speaking as simply a King tier, it makes sense to me for anyone Guild Leader+ to get in earlier for Guild Name registration.

WalkingEye
09-20-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm only a king tier myself but the producers should get first crack at the game considering they put up the most risk. 16 people getting into the alpha a week or two before everyone else is not that big of a deal. 16 more people in front to run into issues with things before the main alpha doesn't seem that unfair.

HyenaNipples
09-20-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm only Champion Tier, and I have no problem with being down the line. People who donated more certainly deserve earlier access to Alpha. Plus, it is only a matter of days.

Banquetto
09-20-2013, 03:58 PM
My free month of FF XIV will almost be finished by October 8th ;)

Icepick
09-20-2013, 04:03 PM
The worst part is, most of us probably won't even get in on the 8th (or whatever the first day ends up being.) Imagine the agony of knowing other people are already in the Alpha and you have to wait even longer! Nooooooo!

chansen005
09-20-2013, 04:03 PM
it's not just a matter of days that concerns me. its that fact that they said the release dates were in the following order...

"Hey guys check out our game the beta should be out in september, go kick start it now!"
then silence for 2 months followed by;

"hey guys so alpha is going to be at the end of September, and beta is going to be..... months from that..."

which then turned into, we're aiming for October 8th to get everything rolling.

Just to clerify im all for delaying a game so it's a GOOD game instead of a pre-released POS game. however. alpha is supposed to be a POS, and it's our feedback that improves it. you would think, with all that kickstarted money, they hired a few more employees, to add finishing touchs. And at gencon they already let people play it. their game is pretty good to go from what i see. The sooner the stress test servers, the better. that is going to be their big hurdle i figure.

Mindless
09-20-2013, 04:20 PM
People seems to forget that everyone can get into hex when alpha "goes live" for slacker backers. There might be a very sudden spike due to the game being "released" and maybe many people suddenly starts buying slacker backer. Anyway we aren't glorified testers :S just because we watch here on the forums and listen to general hex info.

Vengus
09-20-2013, 04:32 PM
I'm only a king tier myself but the producers should get first crack at the game considering they put up the most risk. 16 people getting into the alpha a week or two before everyone else is not that big of a deal. 16 more people in front to run into issues with things before the main alpha doesn't seem that unfair.
It would be bad if they did that.. for the producers. With only 16 players and things like timezones and real life commitments, they wouldn't be able to do many matches because there simply wouldn't be enough players online. Would probably hurt them more than help them. xD

Kami
09-20-2013, 04:35 PM
It would be bad if they did that.. for the producers. With only 16 players and things like timezones and real life commitments, they wouldn't be able to do many matches because there simply wouldn't be enough players online. Would probably hurt them more than help them. xD

I'm sure they wouldn't mind just getting a crack at the cards and deck building. :)

noragar
09-20-2013, 04:59 PM
I'm sure they wouldn't mind just getting a crack at the cards and deck building. :)

... and having hundreds of people bugging them nonstop for info about the cards.

Icepick
09-20-2013, 05:00 PM
... and having hundreds of people bugging them nonstop for info about the cards.

I'm reasonably sure they said they'd be releasing a full set list before the alpha hits.

Mbnmac
09-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Blizzard's release date policy also includes "... and when another popular title is about to be released."

Also "when should we host SC2 regional finals?" "All on the same weekend!" "Which weekend?" "The same weekend as the biggest single esports event of the year!" "Johnson, you're a genius!"

Chiany
09-20-2013, 05:40 PM
So when they said: We'll have everything you need to know about alpha in next week's update in update 46, they really ment to say, we will give you a crappy story about a castle in the mist?

I am now picturing Crypto as Carley Rae Jepsen starring in Play me ... Maybe.

While I am glad we have a real date now, that maybe worries me.
Time to sleep of this dissapointment.

hex_colin
09-20-2013, 05:44 PM

So, Funktion gets to play first? :)

Cory_Jones
09-20-2013, 06:00 PM
So when they said: We'll have everything you need to know about alpha in next week's update in update 46, they really ment to say, we will give you a crappy story about a castle in the mist?

I am now picturing Crypto as Carley Rae Jepsen starring in Play me ... Maybe.

While I am glad we have a real date now, that maybe worries me.
Time to sleep of this dissapointment.

I am truly sorry your disappointed Chiany, its really the last thing I want, the update included the date for Alpha (barring unforeseen circumstance) and what the actual Alpha will provide in terms of playable content, not sure what else I could have included, please let me know what’s missing (elements that are vague in the update, like how many people we can get in at the beginning are impossible for me to answer, so I have to give it to you straight, I don’t know), I want to do the best job I can serving this community, give me some constructive feedback

-cory

Xtopher
09-20-2013, 06:07 PM
I am truly sorry your disappointed Chiany, its really the last thing I want, the update included the date for Alpha (barring unforeseen circumstance) and what the actual Alpha will provide in terms of playable content, not sure what else I could have included, please let me know what’s missing (elements that are vague in the update, like how many people we can get in at the beginning are impossible for me to answer, so I have to give it to you straight, I don’t know), I want to do the best job I can serving this community, give me some constructive feedback

-cory

For example, Cory, will there be an opportunity to register our user names before alpha? Will everyone get to register at the same time or will it be by tiers or alpha access order? If before, when will it be? Could we do it now?

Beyond that, I'm satisfied.

MoikPEI
09-20-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm wondering about hard min specs for Alpha.

Deathfog
09-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Gives you time to finish watching Breaking Bad at least.

Barkam
09-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Cory, you did just fine. Some folks are just more sensitive than others.

Daer
09-20-2013, 06:19 PM

-cory

Is there any kind of matchmaking, even if it just matches you with someone at random? Or do we need to manually challenge someone to a game?

What is the top level of the account? Should we name our account what we want as a character name or a keep name?

Soldack
09-20-2013, 06:23 PM
The worst part is, most of us probably won't even get in on the 8th (or whatever the first day ends up being.) Imagine the agony of knowing other people are already in the Alpha and you have to wait even longer! Nooooooo!

Not worse then the agony of never hearing about this game until all I could get is a slacker, but it may be the only game I play the rest of my life....

Cory_Jones
09-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Is there any kind of matchmaking, even if it just matches you with someone at random? Or do we need to manually challenge someone to a game?

What is the top level of the account? Should we name our account what we want as a character name or a keep name?

No auto Matchmaking but you will go into a "lobby" and you can see other players and challenge them

hex_colin
09-20-2013, 06:26 PM

-cory

Don't stress about it Cory. :) It's pretty clear that the team will do it's best to get us a playable version October 8th (and you've outlined what will be delivered at that time). And that that might slip due to unforeseen circumstances - like every software project in history!

Personally, I always prefer the truth, rather than empty promises. And I always feel like you and the team and telling us like it is... I'm sure this was a difficult message to deliver - and it says a great deal about CZE that you were able to be straight with us...

Disappointing? Maybe a little. But I'd rather start playing a build that the team was confident in!

Stok3d
09-20-2013, 06:28 PM
Not worse then the agony of never hearing about this game until all I could get is a slacker, but it may be the only game I play the rest of my life....

Yes, one game to rule them all. My precious...
This game is everything I have been looking for and I foresee it to be my last as well. Whenever it's released--it will be worth the wait.

Cory_Jones
09-20-2013, 06:28 PM
For example, Cory, will there be an opportunity to register our user names before alpha? Will everyone get to register at the same time or will it be by tiers or alpha access order? If before, when will it be? Could we do it now?

Beyond that, I'm satisfied.

Yes you will be registering names as you enter the Alpha, we are figuring out how to order entry of Alpha backers (and if its even feasible to use the Kickstarter data as a metric, such as level of pledge)

Cory_Jones
09-20-2013, 06:30 PM
I'm wondering about hard min specs for Alpha.

VERY LOW, I don’t have exact data for you at this point, but the game is not a hardware hog

MoikPEI
09-20-2013, 06:32 PM
VERY LOW, I don’t have exact data for you at this point, but the game is not a hardware hog
Swag. Explicit question though: will I be okay on XP SP3?
(Thanks for stopping in!)

Dralon
09-20-2013, 06:36 PM
We will be registering user names as we enter alpha.

Do you know the plans for registering guild names? Will this be on alpha entry, tied to user names, or is this going to be introduced when PVE content is begun to roll out, and tied to character names. If the answer at this point is "We don't know for sure", that is fine, but if you do know, I know many guilds are planning to register at the first opportunity.

Thanks Cory, and excited to see that alpha light coming down the track we are all tied to :)

Stok3d
09-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Yeah, the registering names part makes me want to cry. I'm going on my first vacation since my honeymoon and it's Disney with the fam. Yep, Sept 28th to Oct 12th is my range I've had it setup for many months.

I hope the Magic in Magic Kingdom is really WiFi behind the scenes. Not like the wifey will let me touch any techie gadgets then anyway...

MercuryMonkey
09-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Hi Cory. What are the plans for the community logging bugs? I thought it was pretty great that Scrolls was using Atlassian to provide a place to track these things that was publicly visible. Is Cryptozoic using something similar? I guess alpha might be a bit early to allow the community to report like crazy into a system like that if you guys are making changes very rapidly. Keep up the great work!

Cory_Jones
09-20-2013, 06:48 PM
We will be registering user names as we enter alpha.

Do you know the plans for registering guild names? Will this be on alpha entry, tied to user names, or is this going to be introduced when PVE content is begun to roll out, and tied to character names. If the answer at this point is "We don't know for sure", that is fine, but if you do know, I know many guilds are planning to register at the first opportunity.

Thanks Cory, and excited to see that alpha light coming down the track we are all tied to :)

Guild names are later, that will be part of Beta / PVE launch

billybogota
09-20-2013, 06:53 PM
I don't mind waiting another 2 weeks for a game I intend to play for years -- I'd wait another month if it meant the difference between a quality product and a rush job to just meet a date.

Xtopher
09-20-2013, 07:21 PM
I'd like to be able to register our user names pre-alpha start, but that may be impossible logistically. I have multiple names I'd be satisfied with, so I'm sure one of them will be available, but still, being able to get that out of the way would be one less thing on my mind.

Dropbear
09-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Would have preferred an earlier date and more bugs to test, aka rolling updates, considering that many of the bugs probably won't be seen until some obscure thing is done that nobody thought of. Bug fixes can be done on the go, testing an update system is kinda required. Considering that I'll probably be in the lower regions of waiting an extra three days, I'm double unhappy.

Also combine that with slow spoiler reveals. WE WANT MORE INFO!

HyenaNipples
09-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Would I be correct to assume that matchmaking is a high-priority for being added during Alpha?

Manual challenging is going to provide a rather base and archaic lobby experience. I understand that its Alpha, but with streaming being allowed, this is going to be an incredibly visible Alpha. I'm worried that people sitting on the fence might see that lobby and become disinterested in the game as a whole.

butttoots
09-20-2013, 07:51 PM
So with the internal deadline at Sept 30 was there ever a chance in hell this had a public Alpha "at the end of September"?

Xtopher
09-20-2013, 08:03 PM
So with the internal deadline at Sept 30 was there ever a chance in hell this had a public Alpha "at the end of September"?
I'd assume the internal date was set or reset after September 13th since that update references alpha starting by month's end.

The_Wine_Gnat
09-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Listen guys, I'm not a fanboy, but sh!t happens. It's life. Things get delayed. Be f@cking thankful it's only two weeks and not several months. Be thankful Alpha is going to last several months and we'll get to draft at some point. Y'all act like entitled b!tches b/c you paid some money to access an early version of a game. It's an early version that's not ready.

edit: Wow, no profanity filer. Fixing post now. Sorry about that.

edit 2: I only ask for more teasers to feed to the hungry wolves. Two cards was pretty weak.

funktion
09-20-2013, 08:24 PM

Well I got two awkward cory hugs... whatsayyou?
Edit: Colin beat me to it haha

Xtopher
09-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Jeez, relax, there's only like two people that have registered disappointment and I haven't seen any hate against CZE at all.

keldrin
09-20-2013, 08:32 PM
The update was good. It said what I needed to hear.
And, as for sending the game out earlier, features totally untested, probably not a good idea.
But, things sound like they are moving forward well, and I totally appreciate Corry and his team trying hard to get as close to the original deadline as they could.
And, I liked the castle analogy. Kind of a fun way of saying, you take your best guess, and do the best you can. I mean, yeah, they could have padded the estimated time to make sure, but they wanted to be as up front as they could about when they felt they might be able to have things going. (most games I backed on kickstarter are a year plus away from alpha)
I still think, some delay might be a direct impact from them listening and trying to implement some of the better ideas posted in this forum.

keldrin
09-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Well I got two awkward cory hugs... whatsayyou?
Edit: Colin beat me to it haha

But where they long awkward hugs? I mean, quantity doesn't count, it's length of hug.

keldrin
09-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Corry, based on some of the comments on this thread, I may need a long awkward hug at some point to stay competitive in Hex.

The_Wine_Gnat
09-20-2013, 08:37 PM
The update was good. It said what I needed to hear.
And, as for sending the game out earlier, features totally untested, probably not a good idea.
But, things sound like they are moving forward well, and I totally appreciate Corry and his team trying hard to get as close to the original deadline as they could.
And, I liked the castle analogy. Kind of a fun way of saying, you take your best guess, and do the best you can. I mean, yeah, they could have padded the estimated time to make sure, but they wanted to be as up front as they could about when they felt they might be able to have things going. (most games I backed on kickstarter are a year plus away from alpha)
I still think, some delay might be a direct impact from them listening and trying to implement some of the better ideas posted in this forum.

I like how at least we know they read the forums and that they give feedback. Not every company is like that. I fully support their honesty.

Still would love to see more teasers though to make these weeks pass by quickly.

Chiany
09-20-2013, 08:39 PM

-cory

I understand the bandits in this mist kinda thing, I just prefer giving news more directly, not tiptoeing around it.

Like this entire "wall" of text:

I have often described video game development like so: “Imagine you’re on a road, and off in the distance you can see a castle. Given the distance, you can make a pretty accurate judgment on how long it will take to walk to that castle. But, the problem is the road between you and the castle is shrouded in mist. Sure, if the mist isn’t hiding anything, your estimate should be pretty accurate… but, if you happen to run into a crevasse or some bandits hiding in the mist… well, its going to take a bit longer to get to that castle”

In my personal opinion, it would have been better to just say:

We need 1 maybe 2 weeks more then original stated to fix "Problem X" and finetune "Item Y".

funktion
09-20-2013, 08:40 PM
I like how at least we know they read the forums and that they give feedback. Not every company is like that. I fully support their honesty.

Still would love to see more teasers though to make these weeks pass by quickly.

No joke, a daily card spoiler even if it was a generic common 2/2 crab person would definitely be a pretty good carrot on a stick for me.

butttoots
09-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Why my posts keep getting deleted, mods? :o

BongoBong
09-20-2013, 10:04 PM

-cory

This update is fairly specific but I think the problem arises from last weeks update where its stated.

Hey HEXers. We're quickly coming up on the end of September, and you know what that means: Alpha!

Such a statement really does give the impression that the alpha will available in September. I know you guys had a stated goal of alpha being released in September, but I am not sure its worth feeding fuel to that date without being absolutely certain that it is going to happen. You could have made no mention of alpha at all, or stated that its not a sure thing. But that last update really does imply that its going to happen in September.

In the end its not a big deal, but when the game has a much larger and more fickle user base compared to the loyal kickstarter/slacker backers you have now, things like this could really be blown out of proportion.

Cory_Jones
09-20-2013, 10:06 PM
I understand the bandits in this mist kinda thing, I just prefer giving news more directly, not tiptoeing around it.

Like this entire "wall" of text:

I have often described video game development like so: “Imagine you’re on a road, and off in the distance you can see a castle. Given the distance, you can make a pretty accurate judgment on how long it will take to walk to that castle. But, the problem is the road between you and the castle is shrouded in mist. Sure, if the mist isn’t hiding anything, your estimate should be pretty accurate… but, if you happen to run into a crevasse or some bandits hiding in the mist… well, its going to take a bit longer to get to that castle”

In my personal opinion, it would have been better to just say:

We need 1 maybe 2 weeks more then original stated to fix "Problem X" and finetune "Item Y".

Hahaha, fair enough, my way of saying thing things isn't for everyone :)

Dropbear
09-20-2013, 10:22 PM
No joke, a daily card spoiler even if it was a generic common 2/2 crab person would definitely be a pretty good carrot on a stick for me.

THIS. Considering we're going to be seeing all the cards in Alpha, knowing what is available to us to make decks before alpha arrives would be great.

The_Wine_Gnat
09-20-2013, 10:34 PM

Now you got my hopes up for a new race of "crab people".

Rycajo
09-20-2013, 10:50 PM

I am also hungry for such a carrot.

majin
09-20-2013, 11:32 PM
I don't think Cory and CZE did a bad job by mentioning on the previous update that alpha will be at the end of September. I am almost certain that they are really aiming for it but found out recently that it can't be done and decided not to rush things than to fulfill that promise and give us a "not so worthy alpha version" of the game

I for one don't like to have more card spoiled. I want to be able to spoil myself by seeing the remaining PvP cards when I finally manage to access the game.

As for the twitch streams / youtube vids and matchmaking, this is alpha and not beta. if your viewers can't understand that, it's not CZE's problem.

We should be thankful for alpha access as it was just a stretch goal and not on their original plan. They also said no NDA which is risky because they are allowing everyone who have alpha access to stream the games of the alpha version of the client. It's risky, for me, because they know that this version really has a lot of flaws but they are still allowing us to show it to the world.

Kroan
09-21-2013, 01:18 AM
Tbh, it would be nice to have a hard date when alpha hits so I can arrange things for that day to be able to play.

Mbnmac
09-21-2013, 01:22 AM
Would have preferred an earlier date and more bugs to test, aka rolling updates, considering that many of the bugs probably won't be seen until some obscure thing is done that nobody thought of. Bug fixes can be done on the go, testing an update system is kinda required. Considering that I'll probably be in the lower regions of waiting an extra three days, I'm double unhappy.

Also combine that with slow spoiler reveals. WE WANT MORE INFO!

You've never played an MMO then?
because seriously, bugs are/will be everywhere, you won't be having to go far to find them, and some of them won't even seem like bugs till they get fixed. There will be plenty for you to find ;)

keldrin
09-21-2013, 01:38 AM
You've never played an MMO then?
because seriously, bugs are/will be everywhere, you won't be having to go far to find them, and some of them won't even seem like bugs till they get fixed. There will be plenty for you to find ;)
There's nothing like finding out your favorite game strategy, is a bug, and you never new it.

LNQ
09-21-2013, 02:04 AM
It's cool that you answer questions here on the forum Cory. The frequent official updates are really nice but what really makes me like how you handle things is that you come follow up with additional posts every now and then on the forums. It's not only about the additional info, but the whole attitude you guys have (plus that you're super pro developers as well and it shows).

A+ stuff, glad to be a backer :)

Xenavire
09-21-2013, 03:37 AM
Cory, if you are still reading this thread, I think the update was perfect, and while I can see the reasoning for the few upset people, people know this stuff is to be expected.

You are doing better than Blizzard at least - the fans prefer honesty over being vague. But please do us a favour - make a Alpha roll-out thread, and update us every few days, even if nothing has changed. We are all anxious about the games progress for many reasons (some want the game earlier, some want the game polished more, some just want to feel secure about the stability, etc.)

I am not saying you need to devote a large amount of time to it, but just hearing 'Today went well, things went smoothly' or even 'Today didn't go as expected, we hope to tweak things over the next few days' would be amazing for us. We just want to feel the pulse of the game.

Not to mention you can tease us for your amusement.

Clortbags
09-21-2013, 03:37 AM
So 3 weeks then, looking forward to it!

Managed to get a Hearthstone key a couple of days ago so will just free 2 play that till HEX Alpha drops :)

Showsni
09-21-2013, 04:02 AM
There's nothing like finding out your favorite game strategy, is a bug, and you never new it.

Heh, sometimes bugs can be pretty awesome - there was a bug in Pokémon TCG Online once that made a particular deck using Ditto almost guaranteed to win on turn two. Ditto's Pokémon Power was meant to let you place a Basic Pokémon on top of it from your hand (so Ditto Transforms into it). The bug, though, let Ditto Transform into Pokémon you already had in play instead; and, what's more, when Ditto did Transform it activated any "When you play this card" Pokémon Powers. So, using Shiftry meant you had infinite chances to flip a coin and, if you win, return a Pokémon on your opponent's side to their deck - and of course you lose the game when you have no Pokémon in play. You could even protect yourself fairly well by letting a benched Ditto "Transform" into your active Pokémon, which meant the opponent was unable to ever attack you until you ended the glitch!

(In Magic the Gathering terms it would be a bit like an ability that read "0: Flip a coin. If you win the flip, target opponent loses 1 life.")

Mahes
09-21-2013, 07:19 AM

-cory

I too was disappointed with the news for about 10 minutes. Disappointment though, is not a negative reflection towards the development team, but rather a positive reflection towards the game. It essentially means that you have a potential mega-hit and everyone is excited to try it out. The fact that you take a moment to answer concerns even at this stage of the development shows me how much you really do care about the product. I have played Magic the gathering on and off since the release of limited almost two decades ago. This is the only online version of what I have enjoyed that I have truly looked forward too trying, as I never enjoyed the UI system for MtGO.

I presume that mostly what is effecting the release date is server related at this stage. Please take your time. I cannot count how many games have been ruined because players did not have the patience to realize that sometimes technology does not work as intended.

The one thing that everyone has in common on this board is wanting this game to succeed. The more players that play it, the more money the company makes, the more content and competitions that can occur, leading to a fun and enjoyable experience for all.

I ask one thing from you Cory. When this game does go Alpha-Live, I would like a chance to play you. You are the kind of person I enjoy playing Magic with. You care about the fun of the game more than the "Must-win" aspect of the game and it shows in the way you lead your team.

H3avyM3talH3r0
09-21-2013, 07:32 AM
Just venting. Feel free to ignore.

I'm not going to lie. I am a little disappointed. I eagerly waited for the update only to be heartbroken. I have 11 days of vacation starting tomorrow and I was really looking forward to playing some Hex during that time. I am off work on Tuesdays/Wednesdays (October 8th is a Tuesday) so maybe I'll get lucky and get to play then. The last update was a reality check so I'm not getting my hopes up. I don't mean to sound bitter. I'm just really excited about this game. I backed it on kickstarter the day I learned of Hex and have been waiting impatiently ever since. I'm confident that once it is released it will be great.

Aruken
09-21-2013, 08:06 AM
I am truly sorry your disappointed Chiany
Don't mind me, i'm just passing through.

On a more serious note I'd like to say I can understand why some people are dissapointed or a little pissed off. People come to hate double talk and public relation talks after some time, and I think the plain truth in plain word would just be better.

CZE might as well have said they will release the alpha in the end of october, not having to announce a second push back with a PR talk that will piss off some people.

Who really knows what is going on? is my point here.

Harmonica
09-21-2013, 08:14 AM
next two weeks are going to be long. i was really hoping for alpha on monday :(
but well id rather have them take their time than getting a build that crashes every 5 minutes.
and yes i know that its going to be alpha and there will be crashes ;)

Vibraxus
09-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Yeah, the registering names part makes me want to cry. I'm going on my first vacation since my honeymoon and it's Disney with the fam. Yep, Sept 28th to Oct 12th is my range I've had it setup for many months.

I hope the Magic in Magic Kingdom is really WiFi behind the scenes. Not like the wifey will let me touch any techie gadgets then anyway...

I will be in Disney World (Hope you are hitting Florida rather than staying in Cali) from 10/05 to 10/09....maybe we will pass by eachother in Its a Small World...LOL

bcofido
09-21-2013, 09:15 AM
What is on October 8? Finally Alpha?

Shadowelf
09-21-2013, 09:17 AM
What is on October 8? Finally Alpha?

Yeap hopefully :)

update #47 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/605035#comments

CZE might as well have said they will release the alpha in the end of october, not having to announce a second push back with a PR talk that will piss off some people.

Who really knows what is going on? is my point here.

No big mystery really. Cory once said that you only get one chance for a first impression;also the game is his dream and he aims to perfection. He explains why here ;

http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow/b/430004874 check 0:33:40

butttoots
09-21-2013, 09:30 AM
This update is fairly specific but I think the problem arises from last weeks update where its stated.

Such a statement really does give the impression that the alpha will available in September. I know you guys had a stated goal of alpha being released in September, but I am not sure its worth feeding fuel to that date without being absolutely certain that it is going to happen. You could have made no mention of alpha at all, or stated that its not a sure thing. But that last update really does imply that its going to happen in September.

In the end its not a big deal, but when the game has a much larger and more fickle user base compared to the loyal kickstarter/slacker backers you have now, things like this could really be blown out of proportion.

It's because interal alpha is September 30, so public was going to be at the end of September! Wait that doesn't make sense.

jetah
09-21-2013, 09:46 AM
I feel the update was fine. sure we'd love to hear more details but that wasn't given. CZE will have 2 weeks to figure out how they will handle the problem of getting people into the Alpha.

It would be nice to have some more details about how getting into Alpha will happen. How the account info will work. If the KS survey will be sent or will be used after Alpha. This might be better to post on the forums on a sticky thread as opposed to putting it into the KS update page.

I will agree with some post in this thread. That most of us are adults and CZE doesn't have to sugar coat anything. Give us the truth, even if we'll hate it.

I'm glad that Alpha was pushed back, however, I'd also like to try the Alpha in whatever state it was in. I know that Alpha doesn't mean perfect.

Aradon
09-21-2013, 11:29 AM
With the update, I honestly had expected some info and preparation for setting up our accounts, in the event that we'll be linking our alpha accounts with our forum accounts. I'd like to know how possible it will be to get a different username in Hex than my forum tag, and/or if it's possible to at some point match my forum tag to my desired in-game name.

Shadowelf
09-21-2013, 11:45 AM
With the update, I honestly had expected some info and preparation for setting up our accounts, in the event that we'll be linking our alpha accounts with our forum accounts. I'd like to know how possible it will be to get a different username in Hex than my forum tag, and/or if it's possible to at some point match my forum tag to my desired in-game name.

I know it must be getting old, and i assure you i'm as anxious as you to get that info, but one more week and we will know...:)

Next week, you can expect some information on the alpha sign-up process as we're able to finalize that,

(update #47 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/605035#comments)

SuperPueppi
09-21-2013, 12:49 PM
About the naming stuff - are we giving our champions individual names - or are they operating under the account name?

On the update - while it of course disappoints me a bit (well, more time to go through MtG Strategy articles and just play other games, I guess) and means I will have way less time in my vacation to play the game than I hoped for, effectvely it's still just nothing big.

Look at it from this side - depending on when you first learnt about this game, it was like 5 months max until you get s.th. playable in your hand. How many more months/years did you usually have to wait for regular publisher games (say Blizz). Or just look at the other high profile KS games like Star Citizen, which is due somewhen in 2014 (and in the meantime Chris Roberts is just piling up additional millions by selling Star-Ship models).

For my part, I am waiting for 4 games with the intention of playing them quite excessively: Hex, the Division, Star Citizen and Destiny.
Out of these for, Hex is by far the one with the best communication on when to expect what and as it turns out, the fastest to arrive.

Shadowelf
09-21-2013, 01:09 PM
About the naming stuff - are we giving our champions individual names - or are they operating under the account name?

You will definately be naming your characters individually;

http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/b/412300360 check 0:32:40

Aradon
09-21-2013, 06:21 PM
You name your Ardent and Underworld keeps as your 'top-level account,' and then your heroes will be named individually as "X of Y," where Y is your keep name.

dredcrow
09-21-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm good with whatever it takes to make the game awesome.

Ridian
09-22-2013, 09:18 PM

I just hit Gold, feels good :D

Zomnivore
09-23-2013, 03:03 AM
Hopefully it gets delayed to the 11th so I can win those made e-cookies in the betting thread.

Prism
09-23-2013, 07:01 PM
I'm pretty happy with oct 8th. Better than december, eh? :P

Fairly close