PDA

View Full Version : Daring Swordsman & double damage

Ogodei
09-27-2013, 08:33 AM
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/DaringSwordsman_Gear_Web.png

I don't know if this has been discussed/asked yet, but does "double damage" work like double strike in MtG? Meaning the first hit would act like a first-/swiftstrike and the second like a normal one? (So if Daring Swordsman would go up against another 3/3 he would survive, but die against a 4/4)

And with the equipment "Provoker's Gauche", would he deal 18 damage total? (2 x 3 x 3)

houjix
09-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Double damge most likely means that if he would deal 3, deal 6 instead.

The likely intent of the equipment is to replace the double with a triple, so it would deal 9 damage.

Vibraxus
09-27-2013, 08:40 AM
Double damge most likely means that if he would deal 3, deal 6 instead.

The likely intent of the equipment is to replace the double with a triple, so it would deal 9 damage.

That very well may be true, but the way it is written the OP certainly could be correct.

Scammanator
09-27-2013, 08:41 AM
Going by MTG rules: No, it does not work like doublestrike.

Double damage is a thing in magic, and it works as a replacement effect that basically says "Whenever this source would deal damage, it deals twice that amount of damage instead."

This troop has that ability. So it would trade with a 3/3, kill a 0/6, and die to 3/1 swiftstrike.

It's not clear, but I'm guessing you can only apply one replacement effect to damage. So the equipment would allow you to choose to do either 3x or 2x damage, but not both. Either that or the equipment overrides the double damage ability.

nekoangel
09-27-2013, 08:48 AM
as much as id like it be like double strike i think its worded this way so they can then make him deal triple with the equips its just easier wording without having to make a keyword that may never get used ( triple stirke? )

with the equip as well its a replacement modifier so triple becomes the only option.

this guy is best friends with sword trainer and the champion that adds perma ATK.

currently there is no mention of it working like MTG double strike at all so doesnt grant first strike etc its just a damage booster.

Shadowelf
09-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Well first strike/double strike are mtg's keywords; here first strike is swiftstrike so i guess if that creature had double strike, it would have been named something like blurstrike (double damage doesn't seem to be a keyword). So my guess is that this creature simply does its damage twice. Could be wrong though

houjix
09-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Dealing the damage twice and dealing double damage aren't quite the same thing. One would trigger an appropriate ability twice while the other would not.

Maphalux
09-27-2013, 09:14 AM
While we don't know the official ruling regarding what double damage means in HEX, we can look at another card that also has the double damage mechanic and extrapolate from it what double damage probably means. Te'talca, High Cleric has an ability that says "Your cards deal double damage." That's all cards, not just troops. Spells like Burn to the Ground obviously can't have swiftstrike. They deal all their damage in one blow. Based on this, I'd say that double damage means just that, double the damage dealt in one big shot, and does not imply double strike a la MTG.

Icepick
09-27-2013, 09:23 AM
I don't think there's any real complication here to be honest. When he attacks, the damage dealt is equal to double his attack value. That's it. Its purpose is to amplify the benefits of any damage buffs he receives - a +1 Attack buff translates to +2 damage dealt etc.
As mentioned, if they do introduce a Double Strike feature it will likely be it's on keyword.

Estar1
09-27-2013, 09:36 AM
So if you have daring swordsman and telcata high cleric, does swordsman do 4x the damage?

Icepick
09-27-2013, 09:39 AM
So if you have daring swordsman and telcata high cleric, does swordsman do 4x the damage?

Ultimately, yes.

mttgamer
09-27-2013, 09:43 AM
To continue this. What if(eg. im not sure this actually exists) the daring swordsman was inspired with: "tap: this troop deals 1 damage to target creature or player". If he would tap, would he therefore do 2 damage as it does say "this troop deals double damage".
I'm thinking it would, im just wondering people's thoughts.

Gwaer
09-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Tap and this troop deals damage to target would double. Tap and troop deals 1 could go either way. I'm leaning towards it not doubling. But there's an argument for both.

Maphalux
09-27-2013, 10:04 AM
I believe it would deal double damage if it gained a ping ability because deals double damage does not specify that the swordsman must be attacking to gain the benefit.

jaxsonbatemanhex
09-27-2013, 07:55 PM
It depends on precisely how the tap to deal damage ability is worded. If it's akin to Prodigal Pyromancer and its ilk in MTG, then it would deal double damage. Essentially, as long as Daring Swordsman is the source of the damage, it should get doubled.

beepharoni
10-07-2013, 04:19 PM
I feel like this card is meant to be made dangerous when paired with some inspire cards, which would buff the attack damage. (or the command tower artifact which gives +1/+0... the inspire buffs which generate additional attacks only add to how devastating a card like this could be, especially if it manages to land a hit on a champion.

But, I do believe that the damage is simply dealt twice. The guys at CZE have been pretty clear and forthcoming about how the cards and the mechanics work. So, when I read this card, I read it as the card does 6 damage and has 3 health, unless otherwise buffed by additional cards.

jaxsonbatemanhex
10-07-2013, 05:44 PM
It is intended to do 6 damage. However, I don't get how your read of it lead you to the idea that it deals damage twice. The ability says the troop deals double damage; not that it deals damage twice (which would have been very easy to word if that was their intent).

It could well be the case that it does, but the sound of the ability makes it sound like a replacement affect which simply doubles any damage dealt by the troop.

In any case, yes, it likes inspire pumps, but then so does Royal Falconer, and when comparing 6 drop ruby troops to my mind Falconer looks far and away better.