PDA

View Full Version : Tablet version of HEX

NaryaDL0re
09-28-2013, 02:57 AM
Search function didnt turn up any goodies so here my question goes.

Has there been any statements whether or not HEX´s design has
been reconsidered and altered (slightly) because of the tablet adaptation?
(I dont think this would be a bad, but a good thing)

I bring this up because I m looking forward to playing this at
university and my couch a LOT, not only because my hand is
unjured and I cant play for long hours at the pc anymore but
all the comfort it brings with it.

Now a friend of mine who studies and designs a lot around IOS tells
me that 99% of the "forced" adaptations on tablets are utter rubbish.

Only games programmed and designed to play on a tablet usually
are polished and userfriendly. Have a decently working, non lagging
interface etc.

Now I dont know if his point of view is shifted somehow, but I have no
good reason to assume so... so I ask you the community for input.

Do you think a "simple" port will really do the game justice on tablets?
Or is it just a "yeah we promised at the kickstarter and it will be somewhat
playable on the tablet but no where near as smoth as on the pc/mac".

I know I know, Cryptozoic is awesome and commited as hell, dont believe
otherwise. But they dont do the adaptation... and they designed a game for
pc... not for tablets. And apparatly its really hard to make a good translation.

TLDR: Have crypto said anything about their designchoices for interface etc being
within consideration of the "new" tablet adaptation? Because when the kickstarter
went crazy... they already where long into the developement of hex...

Shadowelf
09-28-2013, 03:14 AM
Has there been any statements whether or not HEX´s design has
been reconsidered and altered (slightly) because of the tablet adaptation?
(I dont think this would be a bad, but a good thing)

Cory has said that releasing the game on tablets was already on their plans; what KS did was to accelarate the process
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z20tC_cGSsY check 0:21:20)

Now a friend of mine who studies and designs a lot around IOS tells
me that 99% of the "forced" adaptations on tablets are utter rubbish.

Only games programmed and designed to play on a tablet usually
are polished and userfriendly. Have a decently working, non lagging
interface etc.

Now I dont know if his point of view is shifted somehow, but I have no
good reason to assume so... so I ask you the community for input.

Do you think a "simple" port will really do the game justice on tablets?
Or is it just a "yeah we promised at the kickstarter and it will be somewhat
playable on the tablet but no where near as smoth as on the pc/mac".

Cory has said that playing at tablets will be just like playing from pc/mac

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VUn3gOclMc check 0:38:30)

I know I know, Cryptozoic is awesome and commited as hell, dont believe
otherwise. But they dont do the adaptation... and they designed a game for
pc... not for tablets. And apparatly its really hard to make a good translation.

TLDR: Have crypto said anything about their designchoices for interface etc being
within consideration of the "new" tablet adaptation? Because when the kickstarter
went crazy... they already where long into the developement of hex...

The answer to this question lies in here http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/08/31/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pvp-design-panel/ check 0:58:35

jetah
09-28-2013, 05:42 AM
Even if the tablet support is a week or so late, you could always VNC into the PC. I know it isn't the same.

Aradon
09-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Wow, that's a lot more optimistic than I was expecting. "Our programming is basically tablet-compatible already, we just have to tweak a lot of assets."
Thanks for the link, I hadn't heard this Q&A before :)

NaryaDL0re
09-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Very informative Shadowelf thx a lot!

Hemotherapy
09-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Question to those who know more about tablet versions of things!

I'm really interested in Hex on a tablet, as I'm sure we all are. Assuming it'll be here within a year, would it be foolish to pull the trigger on a tablet now and enjoy it, and then enjoy Hex when it's here. Or do you think it would be better to wait for the next gen tabs to be out to make sure that it can handle hex?

I'm looking at getting a Samsung Note 8.0, 1200x800 so till "HD" since it's atleast a 720p panel, and it's Quad Core clocked at 1.6Ghz so I'm betting that should be enough

The thing I wonder about is will that be enough for Hex? Thoughts on waiting next year for more 1080p panel options?

Also wtf blizzard not doing Hearthstone for Android...Ugh...I almost want to buy an iPad just because then I can play Hex AND Hearthstone. I just don't like bulkier 10" tabs...

Think I should go Apple instead? :/

mudkip
09-30-2013, 01:43 PM
I bought a Nexus 10, my first tablet, a few months ago. The screen is gorgeous!

I love having a tablet, but if I bought another tablet now, I'd buy a Windows 8. I mean, if you had a Windows 8 tablet you could probably play the alpha on it!

jetah
09-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Wait till hex has the tablet app out till you buy one.

Hemotherapy
09-30-2013, 02:21 PM
I bought a Nexus 10, my first tablet, a few months ago. The screen is gorgeous!

I love having a tablet, but if I bought another tablet now, I'd buy a Windows 8. I mean, if you had a Windows 8 tablet you could probably play the alpha on it!

Seperate development for Windows 8.

Razer Edge Tablet could play Hex, but I don't think a Win8 tablet means you can play PC games on them, it's just like Android or iOS and requires seperate dev time.

Wait till hex has the tablet app out till you buy one.

I feel it's the smarter move, but my impatience has been getting the best of me in this department!

Niedar
09-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Microsoft made a terrible decision in coming out with two completely different operating systems and labeled them both Windows 8. Tablets that use the Windows RT version you are correct in that the game must specifically target it but you can also get tablets that use just plain normal windows 8 and can run any normal windows application.

Hemotherapy
09-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Microsoft made a terrible decision in coming out with two completely different operating systems and labeled them both Windows 8. Tablets that use the Windows RT version you are correct in that the game must specifically target it but you can also get tablets that use just plain normal windows 8 and can run any normal windows application.

Wait what? What tablets do that?! I'd be interested in one of those!

Niedar
09-30-2013, 03:07 PM
I don't really follow what vendors are putting out windows tablet wise so I only know what microsoft itself has put out.

Surface RT: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/surface-with-windows-rt/
Surface Pro: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/surface-with-windows-8-pro/

The pro version can run any normal windows application and can go to a traditional desktop. It is pretty expensive but its is their flagship device. I am sure other vendors create cheaper tablets with a non RT version of windows.

houjix
09-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Those are more like touchscreen laptops than actual tablets.

Niedar
09-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Not true at all, they have a tablet interface and tablet like applications they can just go into a legacy windows mode.

mudkip
09-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Those are more like touchscreen laptops than actual tablets.

They're "Hybrid", which is basically just a tablet, but you can plug it in to a keyboard which has an extra battery.

You can play Skyrim on the Surface Pro (http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/02/22/the-ms-surface-pro), I'm sure you can play Hex too.

Niedar
09-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Yeah but you can plug in a keyboard to an ipad as well. It seems the same to me. The surface is pretty thick though but the main point was about the operating system. There are smaller tablets out there with the same non RT operating system that probably can't play skyrim but could play Hex.

Hemotherapy
09-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Sounds awesome either way to me, I'd much more inclined to go that route if I could still play Hex and Hearthstone on it without needing to buy an iPad.

I guess I could just muster up the money somehow and buy a Razer Edge, that would be supremely awesome.

I've been seeing a lot of those Windows tablets in their commercials mocking the iPad, I wish AT&T carried them so I could get a semi-discount on them! The Pro is in Razer Edge territory and it still is only HD Graphics versus a dedicated GPU on the Edge doe.

Thank you guys for the info, more food for thought now...Now I have to put my thinking cap on...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Niedar
09-30-2013, 03:38 PM
I don't know much about the Edge but it sounds similar to a gamer laptop meaning shitty battery life compared to something that can get 10+ hours of life.

Hemotherapy
09-30-2013, 03:43 PM
I don't know much about the Edge but it sounds similar to a gamer laptop meaning shitty battery life compared to something that can get 10+ hours of life.

Very true, looping an HD video it gets about 4 1/2 hours, Gaming about 2 hours. The Gaming on 2 hours is with the control stick attachment that doubles the B life so, roughly an hour without it! Yikes.

BongoBong
09-30-2013, 08:56 PM
There are some new intel bay trail tablets coming out that should be very interesting. The asus t100 is coming out at $350 which includes a dock, and is running the full version of windows 8. I don't think the chip would be very good for most pc gaming, but maybe it would be good enough for hex?

Hemotherapy
10-01-2013, 07:02 AM
I think I've pretty much settled on the Surface Pro 2, it's more tablet-y than the Edge, better B life, and has a haswell chip in it so it'll definitely be able to play hex and hearthstone, and it can do it NOW rather than me having to wait for tablet versions...Plus it's coming out soon, so I'll be buying the most recent edition as it hits shelves which means it won't be old news as fast :D

Thanks for sharing that info Nied and mudkip, you guys rock. You're like the shadowelf's of tablets.

Aradon
10-01-2013, 12:02 PM
If I could drop the money on the Surface Pro 2, I probably would. However, I think the Nexus 10 will probably suit me better at a more affordable rate. If anyone has any arguments to be made against the Nexus 10, though, I'd love to hear them.

Hemotherapy
10-01-2013, 12:18 PM
I think the only argument you could make is that it's not free :D

keldrin
10-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Cory has said hardware requirements will be very low for hex.
So, I imagine most newer tablets will be able to handle it.
But, I would want to know for sure before buying something.
My biggest question is screen size. I've heard people say that a smaller 7" tablet may be to small to really see everything you need to. And that sounds reasonable. However, if you are already familiar with the game, and don't have to take a really close look at everything, I'm left wondering if the 7" tablet would be ok. Since I already have a laptop, the big thing I would want a tablet for is smaller size and greater portability. Getting a 10" tablet, I kind of feel, isn't a lot more portable than my 15" screen laptop.

Xenavire
10-01-2013, 12:32 PM
So, I imagine most newer tablets will be able to handle it.
But, I would want to know for sure before buying something.
My biggest question is screen size. I've heard people say that a smaller 7" tablet may be to small to really see everything you need to. And that sounds reasonable. However, if you are already familiar with the game, and don't have to take a really close look at everything, I'm left wondering if the 7" tablet would be ok. Since I already have a laptop, the big thing I would want a tablet for is smaller size and greater portability. Getting a 10" tablet, I kind of feel, isn't a lot more portable than my 15" screen laptop.

I think being familiar with the game already would indeed negate the need for a larger screen. I managed to play Magic 2014 on my Sony Xperia T very smoothly and with only minor issues due to the size, most of which were negated by being able to zoom in. This kind of game could easily be put into a significantly smaller screen than the average tablet with little to no repercussions.

In fact, adding a little extra support would open up a larger market. More people have smartphones than have tablets, by a fair margin too. So a little could go a long way.

Hemotherapy
10-01-2013, 01:41 PM
I think a smaller 7 inch would be just fine honestly. I've had an Asus Transformer and a Sammy Tab 7, and I when it came for games and reading things, nothing was harder on the 7 so I can't see why hex would be. If your eye sight isn't what it use to be I think a 10" might be better just because of that, but if you still have great vision a 7" should be fine.

Now playing on a phone that isn't close to 5" would be challenging I think, lol...I guess if you could zoom in it wouldn't be that just means it takes that much longer to play through a match and requires that many more actions.

True, but one could say Hearthstone isn't that intense either, it's probably as polished or a tad less than Hex will be, and my Laptop running on Intel HD 4000 can't play it smoothly at 30 fps @ 1080p, so I just fear that if I do bite the bullet (and I'm leaning towards that now) to do a Surface Pro 2, that I won't have problems in the future playing Hex/HS on it's 1080p panel, granted it's a 17" screen vs a 10" and that has to account for something right? Plus Surface Pro 2 is Haswell, and laptop isn't, it's just Ivy.

Gwaer
10-01-2013, 02:07 PM
Framerates for lower powered machines are generally one of the last things to get improved. I imagine after HS releases your low powered laptop will have a much better time of it.

Xenavire
10-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Framerates for lower powered machines are generally one of the last things to get improved. I imagine after HS releases your low powered laptop will have a much better time of it.

I agree in theory, but after MoP I don't think Blizzard is interested in supporting lower end machines. My own PC could run Cata on ultra with decent framerate (30+ in most dungeons and raids, as well as the major cities) yet after MoP I need to put it lower than good for a decent framerate, and in raids I need to put every setting on low just to scrape by with 15-20 fps. (25 man raids at least.)

So I think they are less interested in machines that are more than 3/2 years old, and more interested in the higher end machines. Even my friend, who just upgraded his machine a lot, went from 60+ FPS on ultra in the first raids (Mogushan vaults, The heart of fear and the terrace of endle) to dropping down to 30 or so FPS with those same settings in Siege of Orgrimmar. It may be that they need to optimise it a little, but even Throne of thunder had noticable drop for my friend, and it wasn't fixed.

I think Blizz might just be going overboard with the raids though, as the other zones don't affect my friend at all, he gets sometimes as high as 120fps on ultra.

Hope they do tinker with Hearthstone, it doesn't seem that intensive, and a few effects could be toned down. Not that I noticed many issues, but the lower end PC's would bring in a fair chunk of casual WoW players.

Hemotherapy
10-01-2013, 02:28 PM
^ Blizzard is notorious for not omptimizing and certain area's that SHOULDN'T be frame killers are. It's ridiculous

@Gwaer, ah no I don't have lower powered machine the probelm is just as stated above, hearthstone is poorly optimized as well lol...So that thing Nvidia has...I forget the name of it, that will run off Intel HD Graphics for things that don't require the GPU so save battery life. Well, for whatever reason, hearthstone just makes it auto select Intel HD and I had to play a game like that until I was able to restart and change my 3D settings in the nvidia control panel.

hitchslap88
10-02-2013, 10:19 AM
I have a 7" Kindle Fire and DotPW looks and plays just fine. Does anyone know if Hex will be available on the Kindle 7"?

ossuary
10-02-2013, 10:24 AM
We have zero information on system specs or specific devices supported at this time.

jetah
10-02-2013, 06:15 PM
I have a 7" Kindle Fire and DotPW looks and plays just fine. Does anyone know if Hex will be available on the Kindle 7"?

I assume iOS and Google at first, maybe they'll add Kindle support. "Tablet support" didn't specify, at least not that I remember.

ossuary
10-02-2013, 08:51 PM
The Kindle Fire runs Android (it's customized, but what version of Android isn't at this point?). He was asking about the hardware, not the OS.

They've specifically stated that Android and iOS will both be supported (they were each individual stretch goals from the KS campaign).

BongoBong
10-02-2013, 09:07 PM
The Kindle Fire runs Android (it's customized, but what version of Android isn't at this point?). He was asking about the hardware, not the OS.

They've specifically stated that Android and iOS will both be supported (they were each individual stretch goals from the KS campaign).

I don't believe the Kindle Fire has access to the google play store though, so I don't think it is a foregone conclusion it will be available on it, even if the hardware is capable.

ossuary
10-02-2013, 09:20 PM
If you're even remotely tech-knowledgeable, you can install the Play Store on any device running Android 2.2 or higher, by downloading the .apk and installing it from an SD card or internal memory. There are dozens and dozens of Android-centric forums with links to the installer and instructions. There's no reason for any Android device to be denied the Play Store anymore, even if the manufacturer wants to try to lock you down or force you to use their third-party store.

Corpselocker
10-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Holy cats, Ossuary. I felt forced into an IPad for content and have been trying to jam Flash down it's through via Photon. You, sir, have guided my buying choices from here on out!

ossuary
10-03-2013, 04:29 AM
iPads are perfectly fine if you only want to do specific things with them; for the average internet using consumer, they do everything they need. But they're very poor choices if you want a lot of customization or control options. If you want even a modicum of control over your tablet and what you're capable of doing with it, Android is the way to go (the Surface can also be a good choice if you want a more Windows-y environment, but they're way too expensive for what you get, IMO).

The fact that you can (with careful research and a little knowledge) root any Android device to have basically complete access to the system is a nice bonus, for the slightly more tech savvy.

Gwaer
10-03-2013, 06:01 AM
I'm a huge fan of iPhones and iPads but that is entirely contingent on a jailbreak. I can't stand unjailbroken apple devices.

Skirovik
10-03-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm a huge fan of iPhones and iPads but that is entirely contingent on a jailbreak. I can't stand unjailbroken apple devices.

Isn't a jailbroken idevice essentially just an android? :p

ossuary
10-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Isn't a jailbroken idevice essentially just an android? :p

No, because the OS and architecture it's built on are still lower quality. :)

Skirovik
10-03-2013, 07:59 PM
No, because the OS and architecture it's built on are still lower quality. :)

Zing!

I am really interested in this thread though. If the Surface RT2 or w/e was cheaper, I would buy it right now. I would love to be able to play Hex on a tablet during Alpha/Beta. As it stands, I am still undecided on whether to get the Google Nexus 10 or Sony Xperia Z. Really thinking about what else I will be using this tablet for. I really do prefer the micro-SD card option with the Sony. That's mostly what's convincing me at the moment.

ossuary
10-03-2013, 08:20 PM
I find Sony's estimation of their value grossly overinflated, much like the Samsung and in particular the Acer tablets. I'm a big fan of Asus, personally (my Transformer Prime is still a beast and a workhorse, even after more than 2 years of heavy use). Though their latest offerings aren't really keeping up with the hardware specs, aside from the badass quad core processors, of course.

Archos continues to make the most beautiful frickin' tablets I've ever seen. It's a real shame the hardware doesn't have a good shelf life... and their service and support is total shit.

Urimagination
10-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Im interested in getting the new Microsoft Surface Pro 2 as well,

Just not sure how tiny the cards will look on it.

Corpselocker
10-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Zing!

I am really interested in this thread though. If the Surface RT2 or w/e was cheaper, I would buy it right now. I would love to be able to play Hex on a tablet during Alpha/Beta. As it stands, I am still undecided on whether to get the Google Nexus 10 or Sony Xperia Z. Really thinking about what else I will be using this tablet for. I really do prefer the micro-SD card option with the Sony. That's mostly what's convincing me at the moment.

That is exactly what I am thinking. My wife has some peculiar Dell sort of tablet / sort of desktop thing and I was thinking I could get in some much more game time with such a device. I'll wait in the wings to figure out the Hex community figures out is the best solution.

Urimagination
10-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Also Corpselcoker. I am loving my Sony Xperia Z phone so i can imagine the tablet being just as good :)

Kami
10-04-2013, 07:20 AM
I wouldn't recommend the Surface series of 'tablets' if you actually want tablet features.

What I mean is that there are certain applications that are developed specifically for Android and iOS to supplement PC/MAC software. (For example, maybe a control interface for your desktop game.)

With the Surface series, you're basically running desktop software on a tablet. You'll miss out in several cases.

Hemotherapy
10-04-2013, 10:01 AM
Im interested in getting the new Microsoft Surface Pro 2 as well,

Just not sure how tiny the cards will look on it.

Just got done pre-ordering mine. Should look good, it's a 10" 1080p panel, the cards won't be that tiny really.

I wouldn't recommend the Surface series of 'tablets' if you actually want tablet features.

What I mean is that there are certain applications that are developed specifically for Android and iOS to supplement PC/MAC software. (For example, maybe a control interface for your desktop game.)

With the Surface series, you're basically running desktop software on a tablet. You'll miss out in several cases.

You still have access to the app store to download the tablet stuff, so you can still get the "tablet" versions of apps. I've downloaded them on my laptop before when I had windows 8. Downloaded a mobile starfighter game, was clunky to use on a desktop but I could do it :)

It's the best of both worlds, there's no downside to it in that department other than that the Windows store is no where near as good as the anroid/iTunes store :(

shivore
10-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Windows App Store though, not iOS or Android. Not nearly as much on the windows App Store, in part I suspect because desktop software works so why bother with apps? Not worth the investment for most developers, especially considering surface tablets aren't the most popular type of tablet.

Kami
10-04-2013, 10:24 AM
You still have access to the app store to download the tablet stuff, so you can still get the "tablet" versions of apps. I've downloaded them on my laptop before when I had windows 8. Downloaded a mobile starfighter game, was clunky to use on a desktop but I could do it :)

It's the best of both worlds, there's no downside to it in that department other than that the Windows store is no where near as good as the anroid/iTunes store :(

You misunderstood me. I didn't mean only tablet versions of apps; I had meant tablet supplements. You're basically buying a portable tablop. The Surface Pros are meant primarily to run desktop apps.

Take the game "The Division" for example (not yet released), it will have a component that specifically only mobile devices like tablets can use to interact with other players in the main game.

Or hypothetically, in the case of Hex, you can run the Windows version of Hex on your Surface Pro 2 but you may miss out on the ability to do "Bump" trading for Android/iOS via NFC because the Windows version does not support NFC (since PCs and laptops do not typically come with that hardware).

Hemotherapy
10-04-2013, 11:07 AM
You misunderstood me. I didn't mean only tablet versions of apps; I had meant tablet supplements. You're basically buying a portable tablop. The Surface Pros are meant primarily to run desktop apps.

Take the game "The Division" for example (not yet released), it will have a component that specifically only mobile devices like tablets can use to interact with other players in the main game.

Or hypothetically, in the case of Hex, you can run the Windows version of Hex on your Surface Pro 2 but you may miss out on the ability to do "Bump" trading for Android/iOS via NFC because the Windows version does not support NFC (since PCs and laptops do not typically come with that hardware).

Ahhhh okay. Did CZE say they would do bump trading? That's pretty cool.

Kami
10-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Ahhhh okay. Did CZE say they would do bump trading? That's pretty cool.

Not that I'm aware of. I was just giving a hypothetical example. :)

Hemotherapy
10-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Well, sorry to res this thread after it was dead for so long, but I got my Surface Pro 2 yesterday.

Obviously I'm not in Alpha yet so I can't try out Hex on it, BUT I have Hearthstone!

I must say it looks GREAT. Screen size is not an issue at alll. I can read everything just fine. The gameplay is smooth as well.

I'll have a link up later tonight, but I even loaded up my OBS, and streamed a game while using the front facing webcam so I could use the webcam too!

Definitely what I've been looking for in a tablet. Tablet size without the drawbacks of it actually being a tablet. Probably not for everyone but it's definitely for me!

beepharoni
10-23-2013, 12:07 PM
I tried installing hex on my surface last night. Did not work :( instant crashing on launch.

Hemotherapy
10-23-2013, 12:10 PM
I tried installing hex on my surface last night. Did not work :( instant crashing on launch.

Make sure you have DivX installed, I had to do that to get my OBS to work, so that may be why Hex wouldn't work?

mydragoon
02-13-2014, 01:43 AM
ok, i'll try to install this on the Asus T100 running windows 8.1... let's see how it goes. update u guys in a week or two -- download takes too bl00dy long. :D

Kami
02-13-2014, 07:04 AM
ok, i'll try to install this on the Asus T100 running windows 8.1... let's see how it goes. update u guys in a week or two -- download takes too bl00dy long. :D

Please don't necro very old threads.