PDA

View Full Version : P2p launcher

kofin
09-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Hello I have question about launcher will it download game via p2p?

mudkip
09-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Probably! It's a good way to save bandwidth.

There's no official information on the launcher to know.

Truhls
09-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Honestly it will probably be Direct for alpha, but i hope it's going to be both and you can select which one to use.

Kami
09-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Probably! It's a good way to save bandwidth.

Wouldn't you use more bandwidth with P2P file transfer than HTTP/FTP? Since with P2P, you're also uploading to people simultaneously.

Truhls
09-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Wouldn't you use more bandwidth with P2P file transfer than HTTP/FTP? Since with P2P, you're also uploading to people simultaneously.

Actually if they made their client fully P2P enabled they would only need 1 minimal server to seed, then you use anyone who downloads the game as seeds as you usually cant uninstall a game launcher. Basically you get more overall bandwidth for far less money by stealing peoples connections. Or maybe i didnt understand your question? A single user would use more bandwidth yes, but the company could save quite a bit of money on bandwidth themselves.

kofin
09-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Ok thank you :-)

I hope too that there will be some kind of option to choose which one you want to use. Because I live at dorms and p2p is banned :(

Kami
09-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Actually if they made their client fully P2P enabled they would only need 1 minimal server to seed, then you use anyone who downloads the game as seeds as you usually cant uninstall a game launcher. Basically you get more overall bandwidth for far less money by stealing peoples connections.

Oh! We're thinking about different things. :p

I had meant for the users-- that they would be the ones who would use more bandwidth if it was P2P.

Truhls
09-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Oh! We're thinking about different things. :p

I had meant for the users-- that they would be the ones who would use more bandwidth if it was P2P.

Yeah i updated my post with that lol. But yes they would indeed use more bandwidth but it's usually so minimal and in the background to the point almost no one would notice. The only people it would really matter for is the people in say Australia who usually have capped connections. But who cares about them :P

jetah
09-28-2013, 04:30 PM
I read it as pay 2 play -.-

I'm fine for p2p launcher so long as I can throttle speeds or can disable it. I would be ok with a p2p client so long as I could turn the p2p part off.

Xintia
09-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Some form of peer-to-peer launcher is almost standard practice for free-to-play MMO's, especially those developed outside the US. Not sure what that means for HEX, but it would certainly be a possibility.

Showsni
09-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Yeah, it's a good way for the company to save bandwidth. Reminds me of the Penny Arcade comic about it...

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215547235_riwrp-L-2.jpg

Ju66ernaut
09-28-2013, 04:51 PM
P2P would be fine with me; it may put an ease on the download servers. But if the screen capture from the last update is similar to what we will be downloading, I wouldn't be to worried. The client appears to be less than 300mb. Even with a limited connection speed of 10kb/s, the whole thing would be downloaded in less than an hour.

Idus
09-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Yeah i updated my post with that lol. But yes they would indeed use more bandwidth but it's usually so minimal and in the background to the point almost no one would notice. The only people it would really matter for is the people in say Australia who usually have capped connections. But who cares about them :P

I already have to tell my kids to get off Youtube or we'll hit our cap every month. P2P would be terrible if mandatory, especially if like Guildwars, you keep getting updates every couple of days.

Regarding client size, I thought one of the devs said in an interview that the client with all art work was about 3Gb. This was when talking about tablets, and saying that had work to do to shrink all the art assets for tablets.

Truhls
09-28-2013, 05:09 PM
I already have to tell my kids to get off Youtube or we'll hit our cap every month. P2P would be terrible if mandatory, especially if like Guildwars, you keep getting updates every couple of days.

Regarding client size, I thought one of the devs said in an interview that the client with all art work was about 3Gb. This was when talking about tablets, and saying that had work to do to shrink all the art assets for tablets.

This is why you guys should revolt lol. Come out of the dark ages and into the internet light of unlimited download.

mudkip
09-28-2013, 05:18 PM

I meant it's good for the host (CZE) :)

Shadowelf
09-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Yeah, it's a good way for the company to save bandwidth. Reminds me of the Penny Arcade comic about it...

What Cory has said is that the game is pretty slick when it comes to bandwith, and not staggering like a traditional mmo

(http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow/b/430004874 check 1:07:00)

I think that 3GB will be the size of the client that includes pve..since pve isn't included in Alpha i expect the client to be way smaller

Here is the link where they talk about it http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/08/31/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pvp-design-panel/ check 0:59:00

Also if you check the picture that they have posted that shows the downloading screen, the 264mb downloaded is 1/5 of the downloading bar, aka 1.2-1.3 GB total http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Loader.png

(update #48 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts)

Banquetto
09-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Hello I have question about launcher will it download game via p2p?

I hope so. In my experience, it's much faster and more reliable than publishers trying to handle distribution themselves.

Idus
09-28-2013, 07:43 PM
This is why you guys should revolt lol. Come out of the dark ages and into the internet light of unlimited download.

I dream of the day. Unfortunately, we seem to be going backwards. Every year when they revise their plans, we seem to be paying more for the same cap. Only place you can unlimited, you have to supply your own 2400 baud modem......

keldrin
09-29-2013, 12:56 AM
I dream of the day. Unfortunately, we seem to be going backwards. Every year when they revise their plans, we seem to be paying more for the same cap. Only place you can unlimited, you have to supply your own 2400 baud modem......

I have 3 external 14kbs modems kicking around somewhere.....

Hemotherapy
09-30-2013, 07:53 AM
p2p is perfectly fine by me as long as the upload limit isn't set to 0/infinity/has no cap.

Hemotherapy
09-30-2013, 07:56 AM

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215547235_riwrp-L-2.jpg

That's so funny. So funny because it's so true.