PDA

View Full Version : Boosters in alpha

Kitt_
09-29-2013, 06:49 AM
Is there an easier way to obtain them during alpha since they obviously won't be going through to release? Primarily so people can test out a decent amount of cards for balance and potential bugs. I follow twitter a little and try to read though posts already made but haven't came across any information on this. If anyone has something, please share!

Shadowelf
09-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Is there an easier way to obtain them during alpha since they obviously won't be going through to release? Primarily so people can test out a decent amount of cards for balance and potential bugs. I follow twitter a little and try to read though posts already made but haven't came across any information on this. If anyone has something, please share!

Not really sure what you are asking but we won't be opening boosters during early Alpha (till drafts are rolled out later on)

Features in the Alpha
- Make an account
- Full play set (4) of PVP cards
- Full deck building interface
- Make and Save decks
- Play single matches with other Alpha gamers
- Chat!
- First look at the Entrath interactive globe
- Enjoy the (still in progress but greatly improved) interface elements!

(update #47 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts)

MoonSohn
09-29-2013, 07:42 AM
I agree that boosters should be tested before we get our grubby mits on the real deal. Surely boosters could only benefit from being tested. What better time to do this than when everyone already has all the cards they need?

Showsni
09-29-2013, 08:43 AM
I agree that testing the booster opening mechanics makes sense. Since the cards are gettting wiped anyway, I don't see a problem with getting more through boosters; the only potential problem is the treasure chest system, which might not be up and running when Alpha is released. Testing boosters out is pretty important, too - in the Pokémon TCG Online, a bug in the release of one new set caused the boosters to have messed up distribution; instead of opening a rare (which might also be an EX/Ace Spec level rare, a holo rare, a Full Art, or a secret rare) and a reverse-holo card as you were supposed to, the reverse holos were replaced in each booster by a card at the same rarity level as the one in the rare slot. So no one got any reverse holos, and lots of people opened up boosters with two full art EXs, two secret rares, etc. And since people had already paid money for these boosters they couldn't (or weren't able) to do a rollback. I still have hardly any reverse holos from that set, and loads of Ace Specs!

Shadowelf
09-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Guys, Gwaer confirmed some time ago, that he was told by Cory that drafts will be a thing during alpha, as one of the features they intend to slowly rolling out.

Aradon
09-29-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm not sure they need us to test boosters, anyways. I don't think most of the players here could identify a distribution that is not correct if we saw it, while they are capable of generating however many boosters they need to confirm that the boosters are behaving correctly.

MoonSohn
09-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Yes, but there could be a problem with their system after a few thousand people start buying boosters at the same time.

Gwaer
09-29-2013, 10:23 AM
In later phases of alpha they have discussed giving everyone unlimited platinum and opening sections of the store to test buying things. During that time it's likely boosters will be available for purchase and opening.

hex_colin
09-29-2013, 12:30 PM
In later phases of alpha they have discussed giving everyone unlimited platinum and opening sections of the store to test buying things. During that time it's likely boosters will be available for purchase and opening.

Apparently the booster opening animation/process is going to be Epic - like much of the game, I'm sure we'll see it when Cory and the team think they've perfected it.

Gwaer is correct though - later in Alpha for boosters/drafts has been confirmed more times than I can count. ;)

The_Wine_Gnat
09-29-2013, 12:39 PM
later in Alpha for boosters/drafts has been confirmed more times than I can count. ;)

If by later you mean October 10th.... then :D :D :D

Gwaer
09-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Last I heard they were talking about trying to implement one feature every week or so. In the end I think it will be when they're close enough to finished to be tested, so it might vary from a few days to a few weeks from one feature to the next.

Shadowelf
09-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Last I heard they were talking about trying to implement one feature every week or so. In the end I think it will be when they're close enough to finished to be tested, so it might vary from a few days to a few weeks from one feature to the next.

That's correct; they said that slowly week after week they will continue to roll new features out all they way till Beta

http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/08/31/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pvp-design-panel/ check 0:36:05

Aradon
09-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Alpha with frequent updates should be pretty exciting :D

zadies
09-29-2013, 04:21 PM
Really I hope they do not let us test mass opening boosters only real reason for anyone to want to test the feature is an attempt to determine card distribution at no cost if is not something that really should need mass testing,

Xenavire
09-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Really I hope they do not let us test mass opening boosters only real reason for anyone to want to test the feature is an attempt to determine card distribution at no cost if is not something that really should need mass testing,

Well, maybe not mass testing, but it does need testing. So maybe just present everyone with 5 boosters to open each, to check the overall distribution (checking that you dont get 5 legends in a pack, that the treasure chests dont crash the servers, that the animations play correctly, that the cards get correctly added to your collection, etc.)

Some things don't break during private testing, and only on live servers, through a minor overlooked peice of code. Every feature should be tested at some point, just to safeguard against a strange situation where you would have to roll back everything and upset a lot of people.

Carbon12
10-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Look at it this way, what would they lose by letting us try and opening a few packs. It IS alpha afterall, what other purpose is there besides testing all these systems. It's not like it'll mess up the economy on live anyway, and it will check to make sure that there is a proper distribution of cards that they can fix without everyone getting upset that the legendary card they just pulled will get erased in a rollback.

jetah
10-02-2013, 07:06 PM
i'd have to guess that beta will give us the ability to open packs.

mudkip
10-02-2013, 08:39 PM
i'd have to guess that beta will give us the ability to open packs.

You'll likely be paying for that privilege, though.

ossuary
10-02-2013, 08:58 PM
During the unlimited money testing phase, I want to see what the screen does if you tell it to open 10,000 boosters all at once. :)

Skirovik
10-02-2013, 09:03 PM
During the unlimited money testing phase, I want to see what the screen does if you tell it to open 10,000 boosters all at once. :)

I swear, if you crash the servers while I'm playing...! :p