PDA

View Full Version : Hey Hex! You need a keyword for double strike?

Norious
09-30-2013, 09:54 AM
I assume that Daring Swordsman card is doublestrike?

Make a community contest! Name a keyword!

Here is my ideas: Barrage, Pummel, Repeating Blow

Xenavire
09-30-2013, 09:55 AM
I assume that Daring Swordsman card is doublestrike?

Make a community contest! Name a keyword!

Here is my ideas: Barrage, Pummel, Repeating Blow

Double damage is not double strike.

Aradon
09-30-2013, 09:56 AM
It isn't doublestrike, though. He only hits once. The ability is the same as Teltaca's, double damage. Which changes the flavor of the ability to something more like a critical hit rather than a double hit.

hex_colin
09-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Double damage is not double strike.

This!

There's a lot of thought that goes into even deciding to have a new Keyword. It has to appear on a certain number of cards, stand good chance of being used in the future, not complicate the game unnecessarily for new players, etc.

Apparently many of the keywords have gone through naming iterations inside CZE before we ever saw them too. Crush was not always crush!

ossuary
09-30-2013, 10:06 AM
It used to be Smash, but Dr. Banner threatened to sue them, and they didn't want the headache.

Vorpal
09-30-2013, 10:10 AM
They should simply have a keyword for 'deals a multiple of base damage in a single hit'

Call it 'Critical Strike(2)' for ' hits once, dealing double damage' and 'Critical Strike(3)' for "hits once, dealing triple damage".

This will be fundamentally different from an ability that actually attacks twice, as the latter will generate different on-hit triggers.

MoikPEI
09-30-2013, 10:12 AM
I like the idea of "Stabby-Stabs (Yes)".

Xenavire
09-30-2013, 10:13 AM
They should simply have a keyword for 'deals a multiple of base damage in a single hit'

Call it 'Critical Strike(2)' for ' hits once, dealing double damage' and 'Critical Strike(3)' for "hits once, dealing triple damage".

This will be fundamentally different from an ability that actually attacks twice, as the latter will generate different on-hit triggers.

Flurry, multi strike, combo... Several simple options are out there. For the multiple strike version.

Overpower could be a substitute for critical too.

Vorpal
09-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I think flurry or multi-strike are great choices for cards that attack multiple times.

Umaro
09-30-2013, 10:20 AM

I second this nomination.

Zomnivore
09-30-2013, 10:30 AM
Here's a fun word to use that might be useful as a stand in.

Staccato

Icepick
09-30-2013, 10:43 AM

As hex_colin said, we'd need a lot more cards with this power before it even remotely becomes worth it - currently we only have 1, as Te'talca's ability, while similar, isn't the same as it effects all damage, include those by cards like Burn, not just damage dealt by troops. If it turns out that Set 2 (or even the rest of the cards in Set 1) have this effect popping up like 20 or 30 times then a keyword might be worth it, otherwise it's just easier to specifically say double damage than having people ask "What's critical strike?!"

As for Double Strike, I'm sure some analogue will appear at some point if it isn't already in Set 1. This is a case where even a few instances are probably worth having a keyword due to the complexity of explaining the rule on every card.

houjix
09-30-2013, 10:47 AM
It used to be Smash, but Dr. Banner threatened to sue them, and they didn't want the headache.

They called it Smash in the WoW TCG.

ossuary
09-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Great, another perfectly good joke ruined by facts. :)

houjix
09-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Great, another perfectly good joke ruined by facts. :)

Funny story: Those familiar with the Vs game remember the card Savage Beatdown which gave a big power boost and featured the Hulk for it's art. In the final set of WoW, they made a card called Savage Beatdown that gave a big power boost and Smash and IIRC some kind of Hulk-like flavor text. Pretty cool call back.

Dekester
09-30-2013, 02:38 PM
I think a guy that does double damage has "Umph".

ossuary
09-30-2013, 03:46 PM
I think a guy that does double damage has "Umph".

hahah, gets my vote.

EmraldArcher
09-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Is double strike trademarked like tap is?

houjix
09-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Probably not, but it would be best not to use the exact same term as Magic. That's why we have Flight instead of Flying, Speed instead of Haste, Crush instead of Trample, etc. So they might go with something like Twin Strike or Dual Strike to avoid any direct comparisons.

EmraldArcher
09-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Probably not, but it would be best not to use the exact same term as Magic. That's why we have Flight instead of Flying, Speed instead of Haste, Crush instead of Trample, etc. So they might go with something like Twin Strike or Dual Strike to avoid any direct comparisons.

It's not like anyone who is a regular Magic player isn't going to see through the thin veil Hex has used while directly copying 99.999999% of the mechanics (and probably the rules).

houjix
09-30-2013, 07:18 PM
It's not like anyone who is a regular Magic player isn't going to see through the thin veil Hex has used while directly copying 99.999999% of the mechanics (and probably the rules).

It isn't like Hex is the first to use similar mechanics but give them a different name. Sometimes though, the different name is all that matters.

Deciphered
09-30-2013, 07:22 PM
It's not a question of fooling people, it's a question of copyright law. You can make a 2-player fighting video game with a guy who shoots a fireball by going down, down+forward, forward, punch...but you can't call it Shoryuken.

ossuary
09-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Exactly.

And it's not as if the idea of a creature that flies is so original, nobody else could ever think of it (or ever use it again, once Wizards put it on paper the first time).

Xenavire
10-01-2013, 04:25 AM
It's not a question of fooling people, it's a question of copyright law. You can make a 2-player fighting video game with a guy who shoots a fireball by going down, down+forward, forward, punch...but you can't call it Shoryuken.

Isn't it Hadoken?

Mahes
10-01-2013, 06:04 AM

I like it. It defines the action perfectly, Also, if ever there comes a time when a card provides "Triple Strike", it can be called Stabby-stab-stabs.