PDA

View Full Version : [Hex Vault] Threshold & Resources in HexTCG Exclusive Card Spoiler!

hex_colin
10-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Exciting news! The HexTCG folks have given me a couple of cards to spoil exclusively on Hex Vault! Ill spoil the first card today, and follow up with another article tomorrow with the second card...

First up, more resource fixing!!! http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/10/01/threshold-resources-in-hextcg-exclusive-card-spoiler/

Enjoy!

Colin

Xenavire
10-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Oh wow. I like it, just a little bit of a Dark ritual feeling, yet with the red mana classic ramping (like good old seething song).

But adding the permanent threshold is rather nifty, and could lead to some interesting decks - it colour fixes a little for Ruby heavy decks, but it could also be splashed for a little mana ramp with things like chlorophyllia...

Man, I have the deck building itch so bad now.

Shadowelf
10-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Good job on the preview Colin; love your analysis :)

A card with potential in constructed pvp and a red dark ritual in pve; nice :)

Now give me some cards with Storm ;)

Xenavire
10-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Good job on the preview Colin; love your analysis :)

A card with potential in constructed pvp and a red dark ritual in pve; nice :)

Now give me some cards with Storm ;)

With equipment, its better than Dark ritual and almost better than Black lotus in mono ramping decks. Without equipment its still very nice.

And I suddenly have a reason to play Ruby for PvE. I thought I would end up neglecting it as much as I did red in MTG.

Falaris
10-01-2013, 03:03 PM
This isn't 'fixing' as much as 'acceleration', but it's a decent card with equipment. The net gain 1 of resource for a turn probably isn't enough to justify a card for pvp. However, being a true 'ritual' in PvE with equipment does seem good

Erebus
10-01-2013, 03:28 PM
It's 100% fixing.

Its equivalent to a card(from MTG) that say Pay 1 colorless, add one red mana to your manapool. The very definition of fixing.

Rycajo
10-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Erebus, you must have missed the Ruby threshold requirement on the card. It does in fact require the player to already have a Red threshold before giving the player a Red threshold.

LargoLaGrande
10-01-2013, 03:54 PM
It's 100% fixing.

Its equivalent to a card(from MTG) that say Pay 1 colorless, add one red mana to your manapool. The very definition of fixing.

It is, in fact, Pyretic Ritual (http://magiccards.info/m11/en/153.html). It's only fixing if you're stuck on 1 less Ruby threshold than you need to cast something, and that something requires more than 1 Ruby threshold in the first place.

Armies
10-01-2013, 04:56 PM
I see it having a use for playing rampaging tarrasque on turn 4 instead of 5 that is about it for pvp

funktion
10-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Seems like it could work really well if you pair it with dream dance or wrenlocke. Cards like this usually don't seem to see a ton of play outside of "suicide" decks or combo decks.

Erebus
10-01-2013, 06:44 PM
I didn't miss it. It replaces 1 Ruby Threshold with 2 Ruby Threshold. It's not a perfect fixer, but it's still fixing.

Aradon
10-01-2013, 06:52 PM
"Its equivalent to a card(from MTG) that say Pay 1 colorless, add one red mana to your manapool. The very definition of fixing."]

Well, this certainly isn't true. Going from 1 ruby threshold to 2 ruby threshold is far different from going from 0 to 1. The fact that you need red mana to get more red mana isn't nearly as valuable as needing whatever you happen to have at the time to get red mana.

It's equivalent, as others have said, to Pyretic Ritual from MtG, and nobody calls that mana fixing. This lets you spend the new mana more flexibly, which is definitely great, but it doesn't give you access to colors you need that you don't have, just further into one you do have.

Erebus
10-01-2013, 08:00 PM
It's true if I added the thought that was going in my head that the card cost 1R to put into play.

Going from 0 to 1 is better then going from 1 to 2. However, it depends on the deck too. If I'm running a three or four shard deck that needs to have both acceleration and consistently hit 2 red, I probably wouldn't play this card, but still, it'd do just that.

I never claimed it was perfect, but it's still Fixing in the base sense of the word. After this spell is done, your Threshold base has increased and the number of spells you could cast at the same resource level increased.

funktion
10-01-2013, 08:45 PM
One way to look at a card like this is that you don't really remember the game because of a card like this... you remember the game for the card played RIGHT after it.

Falaris
10-01-2013, 11:08 PM
Yeah, sorry to split hairs but this is not fixing at all. You can call it ramp, since it increases your threshold of a shard you already have, or you can call it acceleration since its a ritual variant, but it is not 'fixing'. In CCGs fixing denotes adding a color that you do not currently have.

A parallel for this card could be Wood Elves from magic. They find a forest for you, but only forests (ignore the minor equivocation about dual lands). You have to currently have access to the color to get more of it. Same goes with this card. Needing red to get red makes it not a fixer.

houjix
10-02-2013, 08:25 AM
This card is ok, more for the temp resource boost than the threshold add. If you are running Ruby as your primary, you probably don't need this card for the threshold. If Ruby is your secondary, you mostly likely aren't running a lot of 2+ Ruby threshold cards in the first place.

I do like that they made it a Quick Action and the card will be nuts in PVE with the associated equipment, but in PVP its main use will be shooting out a fattie a turn early.

hex_colin
10-02-2013, 08:39 AM
This card is ok, more for the temp resource boost than the threshold add. If you are running Ruby as your primary, you probably don't need this card for the threshold. If Ruby is your secondary, you mostly likely aren't running a lot of 2+ Ruby threshold cards in the first place.

I do like that they made it a Quick Action and the card will be nuts in PVE with the associated equipment, but in PVP its main use will be shooting out a fattie a turn early.

I think I was able to get these points across in the article.

It's insane in PVE with equipment. It's growing on me for PVP. It's a free resource! Like most cards, it'll be worth playtesting to see if you can find a niche for it.

houjix
10-02-2013, 08:50 AM
I think I was able to get these points across in the article.

There was an article? J/K

I usually give off the cuffs evaluations without reading the articles. After reading it, I'm glad to see that we agree.

jtatta
10-02-2013, 09:20 AM
It's not exactly a free resource since it doesn't give you a permanent [1/1] like a resource card would but it is definitely a free threshold. I know that's a technicality but it's worth mentioning and I'm sure that's what you meant. All that said, this card is very mediocre. It's a Pyretic Ritual with an upside and the only decks that played cards like that in MTG were the combo decks.

If there's a combo deck then maybe this card can shine but I can't think of a situation in PvP where I really want an extra red threshold and to ramp 1 temp resource (Three generated minus two for the cost). It takes up spots in the deck that could be other cards that are useful.

In PvE though, it's a Dark Ritual with an upside with the right equipment and that might be worth playing (but I doubt it). All the people calling this card fixing are really just splitting hairs at this point because this card is certainly not resource fixing.

ramseytheory
10-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Could you not try and replace one or two lands with Crimson Clarities in a mono ruby aggro deck to try and bump the speed up a little?

jtatta
10-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Could you not try and replace one or two lands with Crimson Clarities in a mono ruby aggro deck to try and bump the speed up a little?

I mean, you could try that but I don't see the upside to that. In a risk vs reward scenario the risk of getting resource screwed doesn't outweigh the reward of playing your three drop on turn two and so on up the curve.

Aradon
10-02-2013, 12:56 PM
So, opening hand of 4 Spectral Lotuses, play them, crack them for 12 mana, draw 4 Clarities off the lotuses, play those for another 8 mana (12 generated minus 4 for casting, with equipment), and BURN TO THE GROUND.

Then play your first resource card.

Livin' the dream :D