PDA

View Full Version : Buying boosters with in game gold?

wigglez721
10-01-2013, 02:32 PM
I was having this discussion with a friend of mine last night about possibly being able to use in game gold to buy boosters from other players. I can't remember exactly, but I thought I remember Cory saying that there will be like an auction house or a market place in game where players can put cards (or even boosters?) up for sale and you can then use the in game currency to purchase these cards/boosters from other players? I'm just wondering if anyone can confirm this. If this is the case, you could theoretically play this game entirely for free and even experience the pvp aspect of the game? That is... minus the drafting part of the game unless you're willing to fork up $1 per draft.

Shadowelf
10-01-2013, 02:36 PM
That is correct;

A: There is Gold (in-game currency) and Platinum (premium currency).

B: You won't be able to purchase boosters with Gold through the store. Gold will be able to be spent in the Auction House to purchase cards you need from people that list items for Gold. Additionally, you'll be able to grow your collection with PvE card and gear drops in dungeons and raids.

C: Gold can be used for vendors, auction house, trades, Keep defense, and a variety of other things we're working on. The in-game store requires Platinum.

jaxsonbatemanhex
10-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Very theoretically. Another person has to put the product (in this case, a booster) up for gold in order for you to be able to buy it for gold. If they put it up for platinum then you're not going to be able to buy it with gold.

How likely are they to put it up?

Well, I'd imagine for the most part players who dabble in both PvP and PvE will probably be willing to put commons and uncommons up for gold, given how commonplace they'll be (and thus worth pittances when it comes to platinum). The junkiest rares may also go for gold, though for a higher price than commons and uncommons.

Half-decent rares, strong rares, and boosters - I'd imagine these will sell for plat only, unless there's a player who wants a *lot* of gold, so is willing to sell one of these for a very high gold amount. Basically, PvP is where the real money is, so I can't imagine too many players trading product worth a relatively high amount of real money for fake money.

However, I could also see the very best rare PvE equipment and cards potentially selling for some plat. It all depends on the rarity (not just card rarity, but how easy it is to obtain - drop rate, source and things like that), but people may pay real money to play with the best stuff.

Edit: when I say rare, I mean rare or legendary. I tend to just say rare as when it comes to booster packs they occupy the same slot.

wigglez721
10-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Yeah I was just trying to figure out if it was theoretically possible at all and it turns out it will be! I think the only problem with platinum is as I understand, 1 plat = $1? Which means you will have to deal with whole dollar amounts rather than cents when it comes to trading rares worth at least a platinum. I think there will also be a fair amount of people that will want to convert platinum into gold for PvE purposes. I'm sure PvP cards will hold higher value than PvE cards, since the only way to get them is to spend real money or if you were fortunately like myself to get a pro player tier in the Kickstarter to get a free draft every week. It's just good to know that my buddy who pledged the warrior tier will still have a chance to be able to purchase PvP cards without having to spend any real money if he did not want to.

Shadowelf
10-01-2013, 03:52 PM
How the free to play model is going to work in theory and the pvp/pve relation

1)they said that that there won't be paywalls and that pve will scale with starters
http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:59:15

2)You will be able to sell your pve drops at the AH for platinum to fund your pvp needs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VUn3gOclMc check 0:33:15

3)pve equipment drops will be the chasiest things in the game
http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:21:50

4)There will be gold sinks that will help gold retain its value therefore making it more desirable in the market
http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/08/21/gencon-2013-interview-with-a-princess-transcript/

5)you can play pve in hard mode to unlock items with potentially greater value and cosmetics (cooler looking drops)
http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/b/412300360 check 0:08:58

6)they are planning fun daily quests like phantom version of cards; you will be able to get phantom versions of cards via crafting or as a rare drop in pve, socket them to a wheel, and you get a spin of that wheel each time you login with a chance to win one of the cards that were socketed there; and those cards will be absolutely tradeable
http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:39:15

7)value of packs in the game is higher that any other card game. This gives more value to vip program. Why ? well they are cheaper, give you the chance of a primal pack full of rares and legendaries, plus each pack contains a chest with chance for higher rewards like more packs, items, gold, sleeves and mercs

more on vip update #7 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts?page=8
more on primal packs update #5 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts?page=9
more on treasure chests http://hextcg.com/exclusives-treasure-and-mercenaries/

8)Crafting; The Void Society has come to Entrath to gather raw materials for their war effort back home. They take cards and gear you don’t need and, in return, give you items that can combine into new and unique PvE cards and gear. Players can gain access to these crafting cards and gear by turning the cards and gear they don’t need into component parts, then assemble the crafting components into items. Unlock more powerful items and crafting recipes as you level your crafting skill.

update #5 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts?page=9

jaxsonbatemanhex
10-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Yeah I was just trying to figure out if it was theoretically possible at all and it turns out it will be! I think the only problem with platinum is as I understand, 1 plat = $1? Which means you will have to deal with whole dollar amounts rather than cents when it comes to trading rares worth at least a platinum.
It's unsubstantiated at this point but they'll almost certainly be working with cents. So in all likelihood, we'll either have decimals when it comes to plat (ie. I can sell rare card x for 1.24 plat, which would be worth $1.24 USD), or 100 plat will equal $1, meaning 1 plat will equal 1 cent.

Mr.Funsocks
10-01-2013, 07:02 PM
I don't think they've announced the USD->Plat conversion, or hinted at it. Usually, games don't relate it to one world currency, as currencies change value frequently, and it would get chaotic.

What the plat->gold conversion rate is among players is going to end up depending entirely on how precious gold is, and how well the gold economy is sinked.

Aradon
10-01-2013, 07:57 PM
I don't have a whole lot to add to what's been said, but I can also say that, since it's very likely there will be a gold > platinum conversion, it's theoretically going to be possible to purchase platinum with gold, at which point you can purchase boosters and also enter drafts for just gold.

As others have said, though, the exchange is not going to be very favorable, and you're looking at a *lot* of play time in PvE to grind out enough value to do even a single draft. Unless, of course, PvE raid/dungeon loot ends up being mildly valuable, in which case you might be able to sell the best loot somewhat lucratively.

mudkip
10-01-2013, 08:13 PM
How the free to play model is going to work in theory and the pvp/pve relation

Shadowelf, can you explain two things for me to do with PVE:

1) How is PVE going to be monetized? By that I mean, if CZE don't make money from it, why are they going to support it? Surely the fat cow of the PVP is where the money will be because of people buying decks or paying for Drafts.
2) How is the "progression" of PvE handled? It there going to be a feeling of progress with PvE? My current impression is that players will be "stronger" by simply having smarter and more specialized decks. I mean it looks like there's no obvious upgrades - e.g. unlike WoW where a level 60 sword has better stats than a level 10 sword.

Gwaer
10-01-2013, 08:26 PM
The idea so far has been to not monetize pve at all, save people buying starter decks and packs to get a leg up. The plan is to capture a percentage of PVE players and turn them into PVP players to drive the game. The key being getting as many PVE players as possible.

The upgrades are the champion skill trees... They're flipping amazing from what I've seen. That and unlocking dungeons/raids as you go through the content, but you're right it'll mostly be more tuned decks and more off the wall equipment from a personal power standpoint. There's not really level gated content, once you've completed everything once the only incentive is to go to the dungeons that drop the cards and equipment you most want.

Commoble
10-01-2013, 08:28 PM
1) How is PVE going to be monetized? By that I mean, if CZE don't make money from it, why are they going to support it? Surely the fat cow of the PVP is where the money will be because of people buying decks or paying for Drafts.

Any card can be used in PVE, including the cards from PVP booster packs. So people will be able to buy boosters to use in PVE.

jaxsonbatemanhex
10-01-2013, 08:32 PM
I don't have a whole lot to add to what's been said, but I can also say that, since it's very likely there will be a gold > platinum conversion, it's theoretically going to be possible to purchase platinum with gold, at which point you can purchase boosters and also enter drafts for just gold.
I've never seen any sort of mention of this, and it doesn't seem like the kind of thing they want to implement.

Gwaer
10-01-2013, 08:37 PM
There will be some sort of gold to platinum conversion, it may not be CZE sanctioned at all, but people will want to buy gold, all it takes is put a pack up for a bunch of gold and you have now converted 2 plat to a bunch of gold, and someone else has converted a bunch of gold to market price of booster plat.

mudkip
10-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Any card can be used in PVE, including the cards from PVP booster packs. So people will be able to buy boosters to use in PVE.

But the PvE cards are so much better, so you would replace them after a short time or not even make use of any cards you buy.

jaxsonbatemanhex
10-01-2013, 08:41 PM
There will be some sort of gold to platinum conversion, it may not be CZE sanctioned at all, but people will want to buy gold, all it takes is put a pack up for a bunch of gold and you have now converted 2 plat to a bunch of gold, and someone else has converted a bunch of gold to market price of booster plat.
Oh yeah, well that's perfectly logical and reasonable - just sounded like Aradon was implying an official, CZE implemented conversion method like an NPC or option in the marketplace.

Mr.Funsocks
10-01-2013, 08:46 PM
Oh yeah, well that's perfectly logical and reasonable - just sounded like Aradon was implying an official, CZE implemented conversion method like an NPC or option in the marketplace.

Oh, it'll probably be an option in the marketplace. It just will be player-to-player, not buying plat from CZE for gold.

jaxsonbatemanhex
10-01-2013, 09:11 PM
That seems fine too, as it requires a player wanting gold ('virtual money') in exchange for their plat ('real money').

Deciphered
10-02-2013, 02:45 AM
But the PvE cards are so much better, so you would replace them after a short time or not even make use of any cards you buy.

I've seen pretty comparable power levels on PvE cards and PvP cards. But even if PvE did have an edge, there will still be PvP cards that might help your particular deck run better. You can't just toss the best X cards in the game into a deck and hope to win! ;)

No, I think what will make the power levels in PvE go crazy won't be that the PvE cards are better, it will be that you can use equipment, and PvP cards will have equipment as well (you just won't be able to use it while playing PvP).

Zomnivore
10-02-2013, 03:01 AM
Remember diablo 3 and real money? Its sort of going to be like that I assume...

Gold is going to inflate to a certain extent, and then when there's enough people in, who had a shot at getting time infested gold is going to lose value FAST and then it will bubble burst maybe as pve content goes or where there's a pve lull.

As a general vibe though, gold is most valuable in a game market just as the game launches and then as more and more people get into it, and can hack away at it, people can tease the value out of gold and deflate it.

You're always going to have the people who trade $ for gold or vise versa or the equivalent in 2ndary or even 3rd party markets.

The crazy fun thing is just at the start of game where loot (the non basic resource) is hyper inflated. No one knows the value so you can get big break out wins.

Gwaer
10-02-2013, 03:05 AM
Diablo 3's gold didn't deflate just because. There was duping, and blizzard didn't reach fast or decisive enough.

Xenavire
10-02-2013, 03:07 AM
That seems fine too, as it requires a player wanting gold ('virtual money') in exchange for their plat ('real money').

Look at the blizzard pet, guardian cub. Exactly the same situation (money for gold.) I still see then for sale, over a year later, on PvP servers.

Zomnivore
10-02-2013, 03:38 AM
Diablo 3's gold didn't deflate just because. There was duping, and blizzard didn't reach fast or decisive enough.

I've been in other game econs where the same general trend is that gold is most valuable at launch. Just the biggest sort of example of that recently for ppl was d3. The dupers weren't the only thing causing the trend there, but they did speed it up.

This is coming from numerous recent(n' not so recent) failed mmo markets launching I've looked at.

Aradon
10-02-2013, 03:42 AM
The gold > platinum exchange I mentioned was meant as a player-driven system, rather than NPCs offering a fixed price. I hope/expect that CZE will sanction it with an official converter, much like D3 or GW2's system, but even if they don't, players will do it anyways.

Banquetto
10-02-2013, 04:58 AM
I hope/expect that CZE will sanction it with an official converter, much like D3 or GW2's system, but even if they don't, players will do it anyways.

Yeah, if people can perform a gold/plat exchange by buying cards with one currency and selling them for the other, then it would be crazy not to just simplify things and let people directly exchange gold & plat with other players. Let the market set the price - and via a real market mechanism like D3, not a fake one like GW2 (where ArenaNet set the price and you're not actually trading with other players).

Shadowelf
10-02-2013, 05:26 AM
Shadowelf, can you explain two things for me to do with PVE:

I assure you that they will be making money out of it;

1)mmo part of the game will lure lots of fans of the genre to play the game. Free to play aspect of it will help a lot towards that purpose. But i don't expect that everybody will have the patience or the time to follow the slow f2p route. Most people will eventually dip their hand in their pocket and buy some boosters in order to progress faster

2)i bet that a sizeable amount of those people will also try pvp; and a part of them may decide that it is to their liking and stick with it

2) How is the "progression" of PvE handled? It there going to be a feeling of progress with PvE? My current impression is that players will be "stronger" by simply having smarter and more specialized decks. I mean it looks like there's no obvious upgrades - e.g. unlike WoW where a level 60 sword has better stats than a level 10 sword.

Yeap definately;

1) You will start with an ingame tutorial and your starter (possibly playing a tutorial dungeon and a raid )
http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/03/dragoncon-2013-interview-with-chris-woods-magical-creature/ check 0:03:00

2)pve will scale with starters
http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:59:15

3)then there will a 8 dungeon ark telling a story for each faction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VUn3gOclMc check 0:15:25

4)there will also be stand alone dungeons
http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/03/dragoncon-2013-interview-with-chris-woods-magical-creature/ check 0:03:00

5)for every 5 dungeons they will be showing us there will be a raid (you won't necessarily have to complete all 5 to attempt the raid ) http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/03/dragoncon-2013-interview-with-chris-woods-magical-creature/ check 0:03:00

6)As for obvious upgrades, those will be your cards/equipment; eventually everything will come down to farming efficiency, so the most cards/equipment you have unlocked the faster your progress will be.

As I’ve mentioned, PvE is commonly designed with a puzzle-solving emphasis in mind, putting incredibly high concept ideas and innovations in place for a one-of-a-kind feel in many instances. Each dungeon and raid will have its own feel to it, and in a lot of situations you may find that a deck that trounces one raid falls flat on its face against another (http://hextcg.com/dragon-slaying/)

All of the play testing and meta-game predicting in the world will do you little good against high concept PvE dungeon design. Both Equipment drops and PvE-unique cards will inevitably be required in your brainstorming and deck concept scheming. In a similar manner to those players currently playing pre-existing MMORPG games, you can endlessly fine-tune your character’s weapons and armor in a never-ending pursuit of item-level perfection. It’s a long, gear-repair-filled road, but in time… you will find item set harmony.
(Until the next dungeons and sets are released, anyway…) (http://hextcg.com/dragon-slaying/)

The gold > platinum exchange I mentioned was meant as a player-driven system, rather than NPCs offering a fixed price. I hope/expect that CZE will sanction it with an official converter, much like D3 or GW2's system, but even if they don't, players will do it anyways.

That is correct; gold to platinum direct exchange will be player driven and most probably something for the secondary market; which they said that they will follow a hands off approach

http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:57:18

mudkip
10-02-2013, 06:50 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Sholynyk
10-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Here i was thinking that one of the bonus's to playing more pve was the ability to level up your character which would give you access to more charge abilities, which you would have to do for each of your mercs in addition to seeking the items which boost the cards that you have chosen for your deck making them even more bad ass. two identical decks can be vastly different based on the equipment the player is using.

Mr.Funsocks
10-02-2013, 07:57 AM
Here i was thinking that one of the bonus's to playing more pve was the ability to level up your character which would give you access to more charge abilities, which you would have to do for each of your mercs in addition to seeking the items which boost the cards that you have chosen for your deck making them even more bad ass. two identical decks can be vastly different based on the equipment the player is using.

Yes, but all those things only work in PvE... so if you never play PvE you wouldn't miss them.

The gold market is obviously going to tightly depend on how well they can control inflation. There'll be SOME devaluation, especially at launch, but they could conceivably have enough gold sinks (both optional and required) to keep it low/nonexistent. Never really seen a game do it though, sadly.

Yoss
10-02-2013, 10:48 AM
I was having this discussion with a friend of mine last night about possibly being able to use in game gold to buy boosters from other players. I can't remember exactly, but I thought I remember Cory saying that there will be like an auction house or a market place in game where players can put cards (or even boosters?) up for sale and you can then use the in game currency to purchase these cards/boosters from other players? I'm just wondering if anyone can confirm this. If this is the case, you could theoretically play this game entirely for free and even experience the pvp aspect of the game? That is... minus the drafting part of the game unless you're willing to fork up $1 per draft.
The AH link in my signature would probably interest you:
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=26789

In short, Gold and Plat will almost certainly be interactive in some way (sanctioned or not), so you could hypothetically grind PVE for Gold to eventually earn enough Plat to buy boosters. No one knows yet how much grinding it will take. (In other words, we don't know what the equivalent Plat/hour grind rate will be.)

jetah
10-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Unlimited tournament will allow pve + pvp cards, champs/merc, etc to be played.

so yes, you could play a leveled champ in this style tournament!