PDA

View Full Version : [FunktionFails] "Live" Deck Building

funktion
10-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Day 2 in my quest, still got a ways to go though! Today I did a real quick live deck building session. Wanted to do this as a follow up to my article from last week.

This time around I take a stab at building a mono-blood beatdown deck, which also just so happens to feature another one of the recently spoiled cards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLkHWwDMTc4
FunktionFails: "Live" Deck Building (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLkHWwDMTc4)

Working hard to help us all pass the time a little faster, wish me luck!

Side note: I think I might have figured out where that weird warbling sound was coming from.

Icepick
10-02-2013, 04:44 AM
Interesting deck, though to be honest I don't think I would have picked either of those 4 drops. The Vampire King and Xarlox don't really seem to fit the deck, and there are a bunch of other 3 drops that would work much better.
Personally, I'd probably drop those and include some Shamed Gladiator with the +2/+0 can't block gem, the Warlock Inquisitor with either of the blood major gems and/or the Cruel Webcrawler.

That said, I strongly suspect we're missing a few of the blood 4 drops, so assuming some more appropriate ones materialise, I'd probably include those and then push through to a 5 drop for Endbringer, just to make sure the job gets done.

funktion
10-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Xarlox is pretty much an auto-include in a beatdown deck. He helps ensure that your early drops can keep connecting, and provides another source of sustained damage. One of the nice things this deck has going for it is that most of it's threats are somewhat hard to answer. Out of the three drops the only one you mentioned that I'd consider is Warlock Inquisitor and he'd probably replace vampire king.

Actually bringing in warlock instead of vamp makes pretty good sense. It's going to hit for the same amount of damage a turn sooner even if you wait to play it on turn 4. He fits the hard to deal with theme. The other two guys though don't really do anything at all for me though.

The three drop slot is definitely where a lot of the action is for set 1. As for endbringer, it's a cool card don't get me wrong, if I was going to include endbringer in the deck I'd make sure that I had 4 siphon life first. Siphon seems like a much more consistent win condition. Endbringer could definitely still be in the deck, I think that will rely on the speed of the format for me at least.

jtatta
10-02-2013, 12:54 PM
The three drop slot being so good in set one for the majority of the colors is another reason mono ruby aggro is going to be so annoying to deal with. I do like Xarlox a lot but Vampire King seemingly only fits into mid range two color decks with a lot of targeted removal. In a beatdown deck, I guess I'd overload the two and three cost slots and see what happens and make adjustments. I really don't even know if you want Xarlox in the deck as he's pretty poor if you don't have any targets for him (basically, he's very poor against control decks and most midrange decks).

funktion
10-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Agreed pretty much on all fronts. If xarlox doesn't have anything to target though, you're probably either horribly losing, or already winning. He's definitely weak though like you're saying if the opposing deck just doesn't have many troops below 4 cost, but that's what sideboards are for I spose : P

jtatta
10-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Well I mean that's not entirely true with Xarlox. If you don't have any targets it just means that you're opponent is probably playing one of the mentioned decks. Even if your opponent Murders your first three drop it doesn't really mean that you're horribly losing nor are you winning. Anyway, that's just nit picking a little bit trying to make a small point. That's certainly what sideboards are for.

funktion
10-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Yeah, and using xarlox to kill your super sweet gearsmith (http://hextcgpro.com/?p=1246)after he grabs something that's awesome isn't exactly the most exciting play for the blood player.

Icepick
10-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Yeah I dunno, Xarlox never really grabbed me for some reason. I guess he's pretty decent, I'd just rather have something that pumped out more damage. I liked the Cruel Webcrawler because he only needs to connect to create a 2/2, you don't need to kill a troop as you do with the Vampire King, and they can work well in multiples. Obviously the Vampire King is generally a lot better, but I think the Webcrawler has speed on its side.
As for the Savage Gladiator, I think a 3/2 with Rage (so 4 attack on his first swing) for 3 is a pretty decent card but you could probably go either way on that one.