PDA

View Full Version : [HexTCGPro] Exclusive Preview card 2 of 2: Eye of Oblivion

jtatta
10-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Here's the Wednesday article on HexTCGPro by Dusty Hostutler which just happens to be another preview card! I hope you're as excited as we are to play with these awesome new cards!

http://hextcgpro.com/?p=1257

Icepick
10-02-2013, 04:13 AM
This feels like the missing piece in the mill deck I've been planning. Awesome.

Vengus
10-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Nasty card, I was considering a diamond/sapphire deck but seeing cards like these just make me want to go all out mono sapphire flight to see how nasty they can become.

Edit, of course there's also the possibility of making a sapphire/blood deck with cards like High Tomb Lord. So many choices. xD

hex_colin
10-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Great card. Susceptible to ALL of the removal though - probably very few competitive situations where this would last a turn.

Icepick
10-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Great card. Susceptible to ALL of the removal though - probably very few competitive situations where this would last a turn.

That's true of almost any card though. If you're going to look at all troops through that lens you might as well not use anything :p

hex_colin
10-02-2013, 08:24 AM
That's true of almost any card though. If you're going to look at all troops through that lens you might as well not use anything :p

Not really - I'm happy to take damage from lots of early curve creatures and keep my removal for bigger creatures and/or those that have mechanics that will cause me bigger problems. Eye of Oblivion will get Burned/Murdered/etc. almost immediately in most situations.

Icepick
10-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Not really - I'm happy to take damage from lots of early curve creatures and keep my removal for bigger creatures and/or those that have mechanics that will cause me bigger problems. Eye of Oblivion will get Burned/Murdered/etc. almost immediately in most situations.

Well sure, obviously, but if your entire metric for whether or not a card is worth using is that it will or won't be a target for Murder, you might as well just fill your deck with Battle Hoppers or something. I'd say that if it's definitely going to become a target for that kind of removal, there's probably something there that's worth using.

hex_colin
10-02-2013, 08:32 AM
Well sure, obviously, but if your entire metric for whether or not a card is worth using is that it will or won't be a target for Murder, you might as well just fill your deck with Battle Hoppers or something. I'd say that if it's definitely going to become a target for that kind of removal, there's probably something there that's worth using.

I didn't make any value judgement on whether or not I'd use the card - I'll likely play it pretty early on to get a sense of how effective it is in real gameplay. Just pointed out that it'd be a target.

dhostutl
10-02-2013, 08:44 AM
The fact that you are talking about burning or murdering Eye should tell you how good it might be.

hex_colin
10-02-2013, 08:49 AM
The fact that you are talking about burning or murdering Eye should tell you how good it might be.

Agreed. I did say "Great card." :)

houjix
10-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Yep, absolutely a card that people will be hoping they have spot removal for or at least fliers of their own. Useful later game too. 5/5 fliers for 2 sure sound nice.

LargoLaGrande
10-02-2013, 09:01 AM
This card is pretty bad. Mangled Zombie kills your opponent just as fast, and that's being generous and assuming that the Eye only needs to hit 3 times before it becomes big (also that you only need to mill 40 cards over the course of the game). It interacts great with Chronic Madness and other mill cards, but those cards are also worse than the ones that speed up Mangled Zombie's clock, namely every other creature and many spells.

jtatta
10-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Can Mangled Zombie block as a 5/5 flier and attack with Evasion? Yeah, didn't think so.

Rycajo
10-02-2013, 09:35 AM
The biggest problem I see with the Eye is the lack of choice. If the attacking player could choose to have him deal regular damage, he would be so much better. Because, as Largo points out, a player has many more cards in a deck compared to starting life total, so milling just isn't as fast. Thus, Eye of Oblivion does not belong in any kind of rush deck.

A mid game, 2 cost, 5/5 flying blocker though, that is something.

LargoLaGrande
10-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Can Mangled Zombie block as a 5/5 flier and attack with Evasion? Yeah, didn't think so.

Sure it does. Just cast Wild Aura and use Feather Drifting's ability on it. Granted, it's only a 5/4 and the colors are a bit worse but my point is that the amount of work used to turn the Zombie into a flying fatty is the same as what it takes to turn the Eye into one at a speed that will affect the game (1 Chronic Madness, 2 activations of Nin). There's also the bonus that the Zombie now kills you in 5 turns as opposed to 7.

dhostutl
10-02-2013, 09:50 AM
That comparison is no where near to accurate or fair. Saying you need two cards to equal the ability of one card is just foolish. In limited Eye is WAYYYYYYYYYY better than Mangled Zombie. While we haven't seen the whole set, I'd be willing to be that Eye also will see way more play in constructed and PVE. Saying you need to mill 40 cards in limited is just not correct. You opponent will shrink his deck by 12-15 cards just from drawing an opening hand and a card a turn.

jtatta
10-02-2013, 09:55 AM
On one of our HexTCGPro casts, I specifically talked about mill decks and why they are typically not viable and one of the main reasons was that your opponent essentially started at 60 life instead of 20 which makes you work three times as hard to kill them. You really need cards that "deal damage" in large chunks and what I mean by that is you have to be able to mill them several cards at a time. You also have the added "benefit" of your opponent taking a "point" of damage a turn as they have to draw a card each turn.

That said, the Eye fits into this shell as he deals five point chunks at a time. Regardless, you still need to mill them with other means for it to be worth it. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for there to be a control deck that is either Sapphire/Ruby or Sapphire/Blood that wins off of milling with cards such as Chronic Madness and the Eye among other cards. The pieces are there it's just a matter of figuring out how consistent it is. Sabotage would be a nice alternate win condition as it's very likely to get milled rather quickly for 5 point chunks at a time.

Honestly, Sapphire/Blood sounds like the best because you also get access to Omen of Oblivion, Relentless Corruption, and Extinction. I'll build the deck and play it on stream for one of our shows if viewers want to see it but I really don't think that laying blanket statements like "this card is bad" is fair when you clearly haven't thought it through.

jtatta
10-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Sure it does. Just cast Wild Aura and use Feather Drifting's ability on it. Granted, it's only a 5/4 and the colors are a bit worse but my point is that the amount of work used to turn the Zombie into a flying fatty is the same as what it takes to turn the Eye into one at a speed that will affect the game (1 Chronic Madness, 2 activations of Nin). There's also the bonus that the Zombie now kills you in 5 turns as opposed to 7.

LOLWUT. Or you can cast Wild Aura on Eye of Oblivion and play a champion that actually does something and kill them just as fast. I don't understand your argument and I'm starting to think that you don't either.

Corpselocker
10-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Even when we ran Hex emulation software, I am continually amazed by the pace of all of the cards. For those who thought drafts would be 45-60 minute round slogs waiting for those who dropped... the Eye is another example of how fast this format is.

Vengus
10-03-2013, 02:11 AM
Eye will be ridiculous in draft, with the smaller decks.