PDA

View Full Version : [FunktionFails] Spoiler: Shrewd Manipulation

funktion
10-04-2013, 08:00 AM
While I usually aim to play whatever I feel like is strong, I've always been a combo player at heart. That's why I feel very privileged to be able to share Shrewd Manipulation with you all. As with many combo cards, there's more than meets the eye, let me know what you think:

http://youtu.be/hlHvYpHiAps
FunktionFails Exclusive Spoiler: Shrewd Manipulation (http://youtu.be/hlHvYpHiAps)

Vengus
10-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Hah I was starting to get afraid that CRZ had totally forgetten about you when they sent the spoilers out. :p

I don't really like the card, the cost is too high. There are cheaper alternatives out there.

Aradon
10-04-2013, 08:23 AM
That legendary equipment is pro, though. 2-mana Aetherize is no joke, even if it's obvious on-board.
But yeah, cost by itself is too high. I half expected one of the equipments to reduce the cost to just one card, but then we'd be sitting on a 2-mana Mind Over Matter, which... yeah. Well, almost. No untapping lands with it, so it's probably fine.

Icepick
10-04-2013, 09:04 AM
That's pretty interesting, I could definitely see there being some interesting combos with this, especially in PvE.
Would be cool if you could post the full card images up somewhere, mostly for the databasing sites!

jtatta
10-04-2013, 09:42 AM
The ability to untap Artifacts seems fine but if that's what you're using it for I think I'd rather use Dwarven Turbine. Untapping a Troop might also be useful if there's an incredible activated ability that you want to use multiple times in a turn. Those are the "fair" uses for the card.

The "unfair" uses of the care are still undiscovered but like you said in the video, it's a powerful combo card. If there ends up being a lot of cards that utilize the graveyard then this card will be pretty sweet. Currently, it's not very exciting. I guess time will tell.

funktion
10-04-2013, 10:24 AM
If you're using it for the exhaust / ready ability it would have to be something pretty degenerate, like you mention Dwarven Turbine is better in almost all cases. Sure Shrewd can hit troops too or exhaust things, but it can also get more than one activation in a turn, which is where I like the potential to draw your entire deck (honestly pretty realistic to see this happen at some point all we need is Exhaust:draw two cards).

Falaris
10-04-2013, 10:39 AM
I would've loved to see either a text article on the card, or at least just a picture of the card so we could just come to our own conclusions about it.

Vengus
10-04-2013, 10:42 AM
If you're using it for the exhaust / ready ability it would have to be something pretty degenerate, like you mention Dwarven Turbine is better in almost all cases. Sure Shrewd can hit troops too or exhaust things, but it can also get more than one activation in a turn, which is where I like the potential to draw your entire deck (honestly pretty realistic to see this happen at some point all we need is Exhaust:draw two cards).
I doubt we will ever see such card in this block for that reason. :p

hitchslap88
10-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Along with some others that come to mind, such as Argus and the Volcannon. How many games are going to come down to getting just one more shot on the Volcannon, or one more attack with Droo's?

Erebus
10-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Anyone else notice the constant is Ardent Faction?

Chiany
10-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Anyone else notice the constant is Ardent Faction?

So the dwarf in the picture is a traitor?

funktion
10-04-2013, 01:28 PM
I would've loved to see either a text article on the card, or at least just a picture of the card so we could just come to our own conclusions about it.

I am actually interested in your feedback here, whats stopping you from doing that with a video? Imo its actually easier to just hit the pause button if you are not interested in hearing what I have to say. With an article it might be more difficult to avoid seeing more than you wanted to.

Quasari
10-06-2013, 03:05 PM
The only big synergy I can see this set is Master Theorycrafter inspired with a mirror knight and 5 cards in hand to deal 21 damage. That's assuming you only have 1 artifact out. Since theorycrafter is a 7 cost And it requires inspiration from at least one mirror knight to be effective, I don't think its the best combo(the artifact part can come from Bertram). I'll be trying it out in Alpha since I want to build a blue red deck, but doubt it's feasibility.

Thankfully, though, if you do get all the pieces of the combo out when you summon the theory crafter you can kill on the opponents turn, specially in response to some answer being played. You can't do much if they have an instant answer your turn, but its game over theirs.

Edit: Also, theorycrafter+this would be psuedo infinite with two mirror knights.