PDA

View Full Version : Hex team leagues and Alpha 1v1 release tournament

Nlarge
10-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Hello fellow hex enthusiasts! I hope you're as excited for Hex's alpha as we are, and in honor of this grand occasion we would like to go ahead and announce our first tournament and invite you come participate or check out the fun!

All the information, signups, dates, etc. can be found at Hexteamleague.com (http://hexteamleague.com/index.html) but I'm going to lay out some information here.

The alpha release tournament will be in a 1v1 single elimination fashion, it will take place the weekend following following the second wave of invites to allow for more players to get into alpha and get set up. Also, the weekend is usually easier for most people. edit: There will be prizes!! Some participants plan on streaming their matches so we will keep track of that and let people know when and where to check it out.

The seasonal play, is a team (format 3 man and 5 man) constructed semi Swiss style long term play which lasts roughly 4 months and results in a championship with prizes going to the top 3-4 teams (Depending on the size of the event). 1st and 2nd place teams of each season are then invited to play in the annual championship in order to compete for an even large prize pool and bragging rights :) Seasonal play will probably start when there are enough teams and we are a tad bit closer to being in beta.

Let me know what you guys think, any feedback is welcome. If you're interested in participating there are links on the website to sign up for either competition. Also, if you're interested in helping out please don't hesitate to speak up; we can always use a helping hand!

More details are on the website, but feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Keep in mind this is brand new and will evolve as Hex develops and moves through alpha, beta, and through release.

also, the website is pretty rough around the edges (I'm pretty new to web development) and we are working on getting a better one up with more functionality and tools so don't let that deter you from participating.

[B]edit: The tournament has been delayed until the weekend following the second wave of invites (we will update this post as more information is available) We hate that we had to do this but we feel that it is important to not force something through that we (and the community) are unsure of. So some more time and consideration on certain details will help and this allows for a great deal more people to sign up. Again, (in my eyes) this is unforgivable but it seems to the team and myself that this is the best way to approach this situation. We hope that this doesn't ruin public opinion of us and hope that those signed-up still want to participate when the tournament does fire off. We hope that everyone understands!

jtatta
10-04-2013, 12:28 PM
HexTCGPro is always in for team competitions. Will check out the website. Sounds fun!

funktion
10-04-2013, 01:32 PM
I would love to join in; however, might be working lots of overtime that weekend. Hopefully I can make it though.

Kroan
10-04-2013, 02:16 PM
So you can only join as a team? If so; why?

Edit. Nvm, apparently there are two different things announced here

Nlarge
10-04-2013, 02:25 PM
So you can only join as a team? If so; why?

Edit. Nvm, apparently there are two different things announced here

Yeah sorry if I didn't make that clear

Simo46
10-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Sure, I'd be keen to give the 1v1 a crack if the time suits

Erebus
10-04-2013, 06:59 PM
I notice your Alpha Tournament rules says nothing about sideboards specifically? Is this because we don't know if Alpha will support sideboarding?

Purpherb
10-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Will join 1v1 if I have off the right days

Chiany
10-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Sounds interesting, will check out the site.

Nlarge
10-04-2013, 09:30 PM
I notice your Alpha Tournament rules says nothing about sideboards specifically? Is this because we don't know if Alpha will support sideboarding?

Oh, Actually no I meant to add that (I guess I added it to the seasonal play rules and forgot to do it for the alpha tournament). Changing that right now. As far as the side boards go I would just assume 15 card sideboard, presuming the alpha/beta allow for that functionality.

Norious
10-05-2013, 05:40 PM
I will sign up like a homeless beggar: Will get beat up for boosters! :)

funktion
10-05-2013, 05:51 PM
@Nlarge:
I'm interested to know if you've worked out many of the details as far as timing goes. Doing it single elimination rather than swiss does cut out some of the work on your end in that regards.

Logistically this sounds a bit rough though. Seems like you're going to need to set more concrete start times (rather than just a general day of the week). Otherwise what happens round one when Team A plays in the PM and Team B is only active in the morning.

If you had an interface on the site that had tournaments listed throughout the week and then teams could pick which tournaments were viable for them to participate in.

Likewise; because of strange timing and scheduling issues like this; especially for team events rather than individual, I think it might be best to have the team size be double whatever the entry size is. If you're entering 3v3, then having a 6 man team allows pretty strong flexibility for the team.

I think this has a TON of potential. Having a season consist of multiple different formats would really showcase a teams skill. Some more suggestions on how to make it more interesting to follow on a fan level:
-Have a calendar of events, where teams can sign up ahead of time.
-Every two weeks or so there would be a mystery event which people can sign up for as usual but the format isn't announced until 1-2 days prior so that it makes teams take it from a slightly different angle.
-I really like the idea for an event where you have a team of 3 or 5 but the team collectively cannot use more than 4-8 copies of the same card.
-Be able to easily track the stats of a given team / division throughout the season

With all that said though, the things I'm suggesting sound more like client-side things. If CZE were to make a really robust system it would be pretty amazing. There's a few games that are doing this recently, Path of Exile is the main one which comes to mind and I think that the races they have are one of the larger factors in why the game is so popular. I don't really have much of a chance of ever placing in the top 10 in any of the races but I still have an absolute blast playing them even if I am only able to reach 500.

Edit: oh you should put a link to your site in your sig, I know at least one person who would click on it from time to time

Nlarge
10-05-2013, 08:18 PM
@Nlarge:
I'm interested to know if you've worked out many of the details as far as timing goes. Doing it single elimination rather than swiss does cut out some of the work on your end in that regards.

Logistically this sounds a bit rough though. Seems like you're going to need to set more concrete start times (rather than just a general day of the week). Otherwise what happens round one when Team A plays in the PM and Team B is only active in the morning.

If you had an interface on the site that had tournaments listed throughout the week and then teams could pick which tournaments were viable for them to participate in.

Likewise; because of strange timing and scheduling issues like this; especially for team events rather than individual, I think it might be best to have the team size be double whatever the entry size is. If you're entering 3v3, then having a 6 man team allows pretty strong flexibility for the team.

I think this has a TON of potential. Having a season consist of multiple different formats would really showcase a teams skill. Some more suggestions on how to make it more interesting to follow on a fan level:
-Have a calendar of events, where teams can sign up ahead of time.
-Every two weeks or so there would be a mystery event which people can sign up for as usual but the format isn't announced until 1-2 days prior so that it makes teams take it from a slightly different angle.
-I really like the idea for an event where you have a team of 3 or 5 but the team collectively cannot use more than 4-8 copies of the same card.
-Be able to easily track the stats of a given team / division throughout the season

With all that said though, the things I'm suggesting sound more like client-side things. If CZE were to make a really robust system it would be pretty amazing. There's a few games that are doing this recently, Path of Exile is the main one which comes to mind and I think that the races they have are one of the larger factors in why the game is so popular. I don't really have much of a chance of ever placing in the top 10 in any of the races but I still have an absolute blast playing them even if I am only able to reach 500.

Edit: oh you should put a link to your site in your sig, I know at least one person who would click on it from time to time

Thanks a lot for the feedback Funktion! I really think that this has a ton of potential too and like I said I'm always looking for ways to improve it. As far as the scheduling question goes, It's currently a work in progress. I'm working with my team to try and figure out the best way to handle it. For tournament events it will definitely be a set time of the day that the tournament would start. The seasonal play is a bit trickier as you highlighted and we are still working on it (one of the main reasons we haven't set a date for the seasonal play to start). I really love all your suggestions about the functionality on the website, some of the stuff you mentioned is on our to-do list already (Specifically the calendar and event sign-ups) and getting that up and running is just a matter of figuring out which plug-ins, etc. will bring us,and the players, the most value. The team size thing is also something we aren't totally set on at this point, your suggestion about the size is actually a very solid one and will probably be implemented. Also, the suggestions about the "wild card" events and limited team play (limited number of card copies) are great, I'm going to bring them up and see if we can fit something like that in; we are always looking for more fun events/formats to host so you've gotten me pretty excited with these suggestions. I'm currently building a system that will make keeping track of the teams/players scores etc easy and will (ideally) match the players/teams as accurate as possible, and will constantly update pages on the website for each league or event.

again, I can't stress how helpful and inspiring your ideas have been, Thanks A lot!

funktion
10-05-2013, 11:08 PM
I'm really glad that the feedback helped. Really, you just started the wheels turning in my head with one of your earlier posts and got me thinking on some pretty cool stuff. Moreso than anything else I'm really excited for the potential of what you and your team might have in store for us.

Cheers!

DisOrd3r
10-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Seems fun ^^ Never played an TCG Before but will go with the 1vs1 :D

Kardh
10-07-2013, 02:17 AM
This sounds great!

And I love that you show some consideration for the European time zones also :)

Kroan
10-10-2013, 04:58 AM
So is this still planned for next saturday?

Nlarge
10-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Yes it is still planned, Sorry that the website has not changed (working on it right now) had a busy last few days. Everything is still on and the prize pool has been increased to (somewhat) make up for the date change.

funktion
10-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Sideboards aren't in the game yet, seems kinda loose to have a constructed tournament where they aren't around. Any plans in regards to this?

ShaggySan
10-15-2013, 02:34 AM
Sideboards aren't in the game yet, seems kinda loose to have a constructed tournament where they aren't around. Any plans in regards to this?

One idea might be to just have players submit their sideboards and allow deck construction to be made between matches with those cards. Its a little shaky but an idea until the sideboard feature is implemented.

Kroan
10-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Even though I applaud the idea of doing these kind of tournaments, next Saturday still seems a bit early seeing as 90% of the backers don't have access yet. Might wanna push the tournament to the end of this month or something.

Nlarge
10-17-2013, 12:29 PM
We are still trying to figure out the best way to handle the sideboards and participants will recieve an email the night before containing details on how we choose to handle it. And as for this being too early we are planning on having another tournament once more waves are released we really want this one to go through first so that we can test our processes and bring those who do have access something to do :). Also, if you're currently signed up and don't have access still please let us know before Saturday so we can make adjustments.

Kroan
10-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Allright, well I signed up for it :) Hopefully we get some good competition going

The_Wine_Gnat
10-17-2013, 03:39 PM
While I'm not in Alpha (Slacker Backer), I agree that you should pilot this sooner than later. A shake down per say to make future ones run smoother.

Nlarge
10-17-2013, 07:36 PM
While I'm not in Alpha (Slacker Backer), I agree that you should pilot this sooner than later. A shake down per say to make future ones run smoother.
Exactly, having this one will make future ones run smoother (Ideally) and will also help us in deciding what key features we want to include in the new site that we are working on. Plus I personally would feel terrible for rescheduling it twice.

The_Wine_Gnat
10-17-2013, 09:51 PM
How are you running it? Round Robin, Double Elim, Single Elim, or what?

Nlarge
10-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Single elimination, the website has all the information about the format, etc. and participants will be given more detailed instructions and schedule after the sign-ups are finished tomorrow and the brackets are constructed.

havocattack
10-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Signed up for the 1v1 :) should be fun

Chiany
10-17-2013, 11:56 PM
Well, my Alpha collection is missing some cards, so untill that is fixed, I won't enter.

Kroan
10-18-2013, 12:44 AM
Will there cards be banned from the tournament? The chest of something something can do 5k damage turn one for example and the card that allows you to draw 2 cards a turn can still freeze the game that is in progress as another example.

funktion
10-18-2013, 02:03 AM
Will there cards be banned from the tournament? The chest of something something can do 5k damage turn one for example and the card that allows you to draw 2 cards a turn can still freeze the game that is in progress as another example.

I think it would be fair enough to just have a disclaimer in regards to Sliver of the Immortal Spear which says something like, "If you are playing sliver you are clearly expected to have 5 of them out before activating it. If you activate it at any point which does not meet the requirements of the card you lose the game." The card is definitely playable still without banning it.

Cerebral Fulmination on the other hand might be a good one to exclude, as you mentioned, considering it crashes the game so frequently.

UDareUTake
10-18-2013, 03:31 AM
I think it would be fair enough to just have a disclaimer in regards to Sliver of the Immortal Spear which says something like, "If you are playing sliver you are clearly expected to have 5 of them out before activating it. If you activate it at any point which does not meet the requirements of the card you lose the game." The card is definitely playable still without banning it.

Cerebral Fulmination on the other hand might be a good one to exclude, as you mentioned, considering it crashes the game so frequently.

I personally run Cerebral Fulmination in my decks and as long as you do not press the priority button too quickly, the stack will resolve properly. Nearly everytime I skipped the priority button too quickly will result in a stucked game

Kroan
10-18-2013, 03:34 AM
I personally run Cerebral Fulmination in my decks and as long as you do not press the priority button too quickly, the stack will resolve properly. Nearly everytime I skipped the priority button too quickly will result in a stucked game
That might be very well true, but you certainly don't want this kind of freezes happen during a tournament, even if it's by accident.

Kroan
10-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Sorry for the doublepost, but i'm about to decide which deck to play. I think there needs to be a verdict about whether Gas Troll is a go or no-go as well. It's a very strong card and I haven't had confirmation yet that he's actually bugged (triggering of ruby shards right now), but I played yesterday someone who said he talked to a CZE employee and he confirmed that he wasn't supposed to trigger of shards.

UDareUTake
10-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Yup, I agree we need to have a ban list so we can make adjustments to our decks

jtatta
10-18-2013, 09:53 AM
I just feel like that the tournament needs to be delayed again. I understand the gesture, and I'm very excited to play in the tournament, but we're still missing a TON of backers and many cards don't work. I'm certain people will understand and if not then they're just being unreasonable.

Nlarge
10-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Sorry about the delayed response, had a long night. We don't want to delay this tournament again because we don't know how long it will take for all the card bugs to get fixed thus will always (at least for now) be plagued with the question "should we delay it again because the bugs aren't fixed yet?". Most of the card bugs are playable right now so we are saying right now, for this tournament, that you can pay any card (No bans) HOWEVER as Funktion noted Improper use of Sliver of immortality will result in a loss for you. We are making it no bans for 2 reasons, some bugs can be played around if you know the "tricks", like taking time to pass on cerebral fulmination. The second reason is we are saying "play these bugged cards at your own risk", if your match is not finished in the allowed time due to bugged matches then its going to put you and your opponent in an awkward spot. If it does come down to this then both players are to contact me and we will decide on a victor. If it is clear that your bugged cards are the reason that the match couldn't finish then you're going to get the loss (More details on this -and other details as far as schedule and decks- will be released in the email around 5 est tonight when the sign-ups are closed). Please keep in mind that this is our first event and as has been stated will act as kind of a test run so that we can make future events (with more players, cards, and bugs) run smoothly. For this event we are kind of embracing the fact that this is alpha and thus we all must play with and around bugs.

On a side note (kinda) Most of us believe that gas troll should trigger off of resources so he stays for sure (think the staffs from mtg which trigger heals off lands) and he is stuck in a single 2 color combo anyway.

Ideally, for future events, we will have a ban list thrown up on the website in advance. However, this time we had planned on releasing the list once sign-ups were done in a couple hours (we thought this would give players enough time-- we were wrong to wait and so that will change).

We are asking that everyone please work with us -and each other- so that we can make this work despite some bugs. The next event won't happen until more people have alpha and by then (based on how this tournament goes) we will have more of the finer details hammered out involving bugs, schedule, etc. If something goes horribly wrong during this event (we don't see this happening) then we will fix that for the next event.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask, also if you PM me I will be able to get you a quicker response.

Cheers,

funktion
10-18-2013, 10:31 AM
On a side note (kinda) Most of us believe that gas troll should trigger off of resources so he stays for sure (think the staffs from mtg which trigger heals off lands) and he is stuck in a single 2 color combo anyway.

I just want to address this because I don't think it's a good example. The staff explicitly say "or a [insert land]" whereas Gas troll does not have that added on in his text. What you are actually saying is that you think resources count as colored cards rather than colorless ones.

In that regards I pose the question to you... The resource "Shards of Fate" does it count as being a 5 color card? I highly doubt it.

The better example in MTG would be if a card like Kraken's Eye triggered off of Islands... but it doesn't.

Nlarge
10-18-2013, 10:51 AM
I just want to address this because I don't think it's a good example. The staff explicitly say "or a " whereas Gas troll does not have that added on in his text. What you are actually saying is that you think resources count as colored cards rather than colorless ones.

In that regards I pose the question to you... The resource "Shards of Fate" does it count as being a 5 color card? I highly doubt it.

The better example in MTG would be if a card like Kraken's Eye triggered off of Islands... but it doesn't.

Okay, upon looking up the card I have decided that you are totally right (the mtg staffs say if a spell or mountain/plains/etc enters the battlefield.) So you are totally right about it my apologies. That being said, for this event, due to how volatile [I]Gas troll and Menacing Gralk can be these will be the ONLY banned card - simply because his bug is playable and gives large advantage (like sliver) but is unavoidable (unlike sliver).

edit: Outside of this, does anyone currently have any problem with anything that I have laid out in my last couple posts or the rules in general?

jtatta
10-18-2013, 10:56 AM
I could copy and paste your reasons for delaying the tournament the first time and reply that absolutely nothing has changed since then. The same number of people are in the game. Nobody else got invited. I mean, I'd love to play but I'm not going to battle people playing cards like Menacing Gralk (which clearly should be banned).

I like the idea of the event, and I do feel like that it can be very successful, I just don't think that the timing is good.

Regarding Gas Troll, I'm in the camp that feels like triggering off of lands is intended. The fact that there hasn't been a dev post about this in the bug forums is a bit boggling to me.

Regarding Menacing Gralk, the card is the best card in the game with the way that it's currently bugged. You perma lock your opponent from ever being able to attack with a creature again. That's really, really bad for the tournament. You can just gentlemens agreement on the Spear, which is fine, but what's stopping people from playing the Gralk?

I understand that "it's alpha" and there's going to be bugs, I'm fine with that. What I'm not okay with is people exploiting them. Just my two cents. Good luck with the tournament!

Nlarge
10-18-2013, 11:05 AM
I hate this with a passion, but due to the points that have been made we as a team have decided to suspend the tournament until the next wave of invites to smooth out some of these details. I feel like we have let down those involved and are deeply sorry. If you need to change your registration just send me an email at nlarge@hexteamleague.com and I will change it for you. We will be constantly updating people here and on our website as to when the tournament will take place but currently we are just too unsure (based on points made) that we will be able to bring the people what they really want and also this will allow for us to smooth out (finally) some of these details revolving around bans and sideboards etc.

Again, we are deeply sorry for this and hate that it has happened AGAIN but as a team we have decided that this is the best thing to do because there is too much uncertainty between us that we are going to be able to give the people the event that they want and deserve.

jtatta
10-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Well I'm glad that you're at least considering it. I think banning Gas Troll is a bit of a knee jerk reaction but that's fine.

Banning Gas Troll sets up blood/ruby or blood/diamond to be the best decks. Curious as to what others think.

Again, best of luck with the event! Love the concept.

Nlarge
10-18-2013, 11:25 AM
check the edit in my previous post, we're going to just delay the event until the second invite wave. The things that have been pointed out here today have helped us realize that we are trying to force something that does not need to be forced and that needs some more careful consideration and planning. (Bare with us we are new as a team and as event organizers) We hope that everyone understands!

jtatta
10-18-2013, 12:19 PM
I really don't think that anyone is really upset about this. If I was in your position, I would have done the same thing and feel like just about everyone else would as well.

I know that you have my continued support.

Nlarge
10-18-2013, 12:37 PM
I really don't think that anyone is really upset about this. If I was in your position, I would have done the same thing and feel like just about everyone else would as well.

I know that you have my continued support.

We really appreciate that, we would hate to anger the people who we aim to please :(

Kroan
10-18-2013, 01:54 PM
I think it's a good decision as well. Hopefully the next wave is sent out quickly and we also get the first batch of fixes in for cards.

On a side note; I do agree that if Gas Troll will be changed to trigger on spells only blood/sapphire control will most likely become stronger.

funktion
10-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Aye, you shouldn't sweat it one bit at all Nlarge. Everything is still in flux quite a bit and there's a lot of variables that could make things go wrong or take some unexpected turn.

I do think what you were saying about testing the waters before things become more serious is still true as well though. Being able to establish (and test) your logistics early on is always important.

Kroan
10-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Bumping this for great justice. Also a question, I think I read somewhere that this was single elimination. Surely you want to have a swiss tournament with a top 4 (or 8) cut rather than single elimination?

funktion
10-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Bumping this for great justice. Also a question, I think I read somewhere that this was single elimination. Surely you want to have a swiss tournament with a top 4 (or 8) cut rather than single elimination?

The idea is that they need to get a few trial runs under their belt that are fast and easy so that they can work out the kinks. Doing single means that there's less to do on that end, I'm sure once we get player hosted tournaments doing the calculations for swiss won't be necessary and we'll have a much deeper array of tournament options.

Kroan
10-27-2013, 12:46 PM
The idea is that they need to get a few trial runs under their belt that are fast and easy so that they can work out the kinks. Doing single means that there's less to do on that end, I'm sure once we get player hosted tournaments doing the calculations for swiss won't be necessary and we'll have a much deeper array of tournament options.

While I see your point, I think the time needed to actually run the tournament won't differ a lot between both choices. However, making it single elimination makes it feel bad to lose your first round because of a bad matchup or a bit of bad luck (not to mention that some people have to reserve the whole day to take part). Whereas a bid of organization problems or extra time needed because of running swiss instead of single elimination is understood by everyone.

Of course it's not my call. Organizing something like this is a huge undertaking. I just would find it a shame to have the first tournament leave a bad taste :)