PDA

View Full Version : [Hex Vault] OMG They Nerfed It!?! - Win Flights to/from HexCon!

hex_colin
10-05-2013, 09:55 PM
The "Countdown to Alpha" thread on the General HexTCG.com forum got me thinking...

I have first hand knowledge of one of the 3 cost cards having been significantly redesigned since it was spoiled. I figured I'd run a quick competition to give away roundtrip flights to/from HexCon! All you have to do is make a guess at:

Which card has been changed?
What is it's new cost?
How has the effect text been changed (it's broadly similar to the original but there is a key change)?

The person who, in my opinion, gets closest to the new version of the card wins. Better be quick - you only have 2.5 days before Alpha (hopefully). And... it could be sooner if the card gets spoiled before that!

The only way to enter is to leave your guess as a reply to the blog entry on the Hex Vault website! Have fun!!!

http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/10/05/omg-they-nerfed-it/

EDIT: Because it's a FAQ... There may be more that one card that has been changed. I have a specific card in mind. So, it doesn't matter if you're completely right about the card you chose, you need to have guessed the card I've chosen!

Maphalux
10-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Ok, I'm gonna jump in and guess here.

My guess is Wild Root Dancer has been changed. It now costs 4 and its ability has been changed to be only be +1/+1.

Dralon
10-05-2013, 10:24 PM
I generally suck at card design, but will go with Oracle Song being changed to a 2 cost, with clarification of text saying troop cost is reduced by 1 this turn to a minimum of 1, and loss of the card draw effect.

Chiany
10-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Love these kind of guessing games, so left my answer on your site.

hex_colin
10-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Love these kind of guessing games, so left my answer on your site.

Yeah, it appeals to my sense of mischief. :) Almost as good as being able to spoil it too. ;) With the added benefit of someone winning an awesome prize against relatively light competition probably (given the time constraints...)...

mudkip
10-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Reggie . Cost reduced, effect changed to a low value (5ish) instead of the vague "destroyed"

HyenaNipples
10-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Cool contest idea!

Though I just realized it's called "They Nerfed It" and I made my guess for a significantly improved card >.< Whoops

hex_colin
10-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Cool contest idea!

Though I just realized it's called "They Nerfed It" and I made my guess for a significantly improved card >.< Whoops

The question you have to ask yourself is - does the "?!?" in the title have any significance? ;) Maybe, maybe not...

Purpherb
10-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Eye of creation
now costs 2
lets you draw X amount of cards where X is the extra amount spent when you play the card

OutlandishMatt
10-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Guys, give up now. I've already submitted the winning idea. Just quit entering now. :-P

HyenaNipples
10-06-2013, 08:07 AM
The question you have to ask yourself is - does the "?!?" in the title have any significance? ;) Maybe, maybe not...

Oh good! Now I feel like I still have a shot!

Gwaer
10-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Ok, I'm gonna jump in and guess here.

My guess is Wild Root Dancer has been changed. It now costs 4 and its ability has been changed to be only be +1/+1.

This is very plausible. Since I don't want to take his entry exactly I guess wild root is now 4 cost and adds +2/0

Maphalux
10-06-2013, 09:23 AM
I'm starting to think the correct answer might be Master Beast Rider. Cost 5. No longer has a socket and, upon entering play, gives a target troop a permanent +2/+2. (which could even be itself).

I've already put in a guess so if someone wants to take this one and post it at Hexvault, be my guest. :)

HyenaNipples
10-06-2013, 09:40 AM
We've already seen the Master Beast Rider remake.

Maphalux
10-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Are you talking about Nelebrin Scout?

HyenaNipples
10-06-2013, 09:55 AM
That would be the one.

Maphalux
10-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Ah, but Nelebrin Scout is not Master Beast Rider. Just like Throat Cutter was not Claw of the Mountain God. The new cards simply took on the role of the older cards. So as we saw that CotMG became something else entirely, we can probably expect the same of MBR.

HyenaNipples
10-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Huh, I didn't think of it that way. Based on effect text, I always considered Throatcutter to be a remade Claw of the Mountain God, and CotMG as an entirely new card.

I felt Nelebrin Scout was the remade Beast Rider, since it's abilities were basically the same- and Master Beast Rider would simply be a name for an entirely different card.

I guess I identify cards by their effect, not by their names. Perhaps that is an error, as we all know Master Beast Rider is for sure going to be different than what it was.

Vengus
10-06-2013, 10:03 AM
It's probably Warlock Inquisitor. The "new" Master Beast Rider card had its socket changed from major to minor, Warlock being a 3-drop aswell it wouldn't surprise me if that card got the same treatment.

Xenavire
10-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Going to go ahead and say Wretched brood. I think it will either become a higher cost (4) or use up 2 life per battle hopper (and perhaps becoming 2 cost.)

HyenaNipples
10-06-2013, 10:43 AM
I didn't think the Inquisitor was that bad- It gets more expensive quite quickly, and as a 3/1, is very fragile.

I tend to think it's Eye of Creation, but lots of people are already guessing that one. My guess was Wretched Brood getting a buff though, as it's current form is pretty weak for a Rare.

Idus
10-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Well, given I'm in Australia, you really don't want me entering :)

So I'll guess here. Maybe they changed Glimmerglen Witch to 4 cost, and you only get the life when she dies? Maphalux may also be right with wild root dancer.

hex_colin
10-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Well, given I'm in Australia, you really don't want me entering :)

So I'll guess here. Maybe they changed Glimmerglen Witch to 4 cost, and you only get the life when she dies? Maphalux may also be right with wild root dancer.

I'm more than happy for you to enter. I intentionally didn't put any restrictions on where the winner lived.

hammer
10-06-2013, 03:28 PM
I think it's Wild Root Dancer it still costs three but requires double
Wild now and the pump isn't permenant anymore

The original was too strong and too splashable.

RoyHarper
10-06-2013, 05:03 PM
I'll guess Blood Cauldron Ritualist has been nerfed. It's effect has been reduced in strength to something similar to: "Sacrifice a troop: this troop gets +2 Attack/+2 Defense this turn." The card now costs 2 instead of 3.

Idus
10-07-2013, 12:44 AM
I'm more than happy for you to enter. I intentionally didn't put any restrictions on where the winner lived.

Wow, now I know why you're a producer. That's very generous. Added my guess, not that I expect to win, as I think other cards would be nerfed before Glimmerglen Witch.

Estar1
10-07-2013, 05:14 AM
My choice would be blessing of the fallen, it instead only allows one creature to use its insipre from the graveyard.

It could also possibly allow insipires for lower creatures instead.

EntropyBall
10-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Warlock Inquisitor, same cost, ability now adds 3 to the cost.

hex_colin
10-08-2013, 02:47 PM
So... the card I was thinking about isn't in the build yet. Hopefully it's in the spoiler though so that I can announce a winner... :)

Kroan
10-08-2013, 04:50 PM
With the unveiling of the spoilers, are you still letting people enter / change their entry? :)

Xenavire
10-08-2013, 05:30 PM
So... the card I was thinking about isn't in the build yet. Hopefully it's in the spoiler though so that I can announce a winner... :)

C'mon, don't tease us now. We have been spoiled, reveal your secrets oh all mighty Colin!

And tough luck against Cory, I really didn't know who to root for, but those draws... You might not have seen it, but Cory had near-god hands each time.

jaxsonbatemanhex
10-08-2013, 05:32 PM
I'm now terrified that it's Dream Dance. Which is disappointing if that's the case, as I was really looking forward to DD shenanigans in PvE. :-(

Icepick
10-08-2013, 05:38 PM
My guess would have been Eye of Creation, personally, now that we know it's not there.

jaxsonbatemanhex
10-08-2013, 05:45 PM
As much as my first PvP deck was going to be Eye (and I thought it'd do well), I certainly hope it takes the blow this time. I'm much more a PvE player at heart. :-P

Purpherb
10-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Oh shit did i win?!?!?!

Madican
10-08-2013, 06:05 PM
I think I found the card that was changed.

Glimmerglen Witch
2W (up from 1)
2/3 (down from 3/3
Same effect and cost

havocattack
10-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Burn to the ground was also changed, is now 1X instead of X

Armies
10-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Chlorophyllia was also nerfed by no longer giving charges but the cost is the same

hex_colin
10-08-2013, 08:37 PM
C'mon, don't tease us now. We have been spoiled, reveal your secrets oh all mighty Colin!

And tough luck against Cory, I really didn't know who to root for, but those draws... You might not have seen it, but Cory had near-god hands each time.

I could tell :) I did not have the same luck... ;) And... I confused the Swiftstrike icon for something else and made a bad play in the second match. Such is life... I'd been practicing with an awesome Shin'hare swarm deck with Onslaught as the finisher, but at least one of the cards needed a scripting change.

Eierdotter
10-09-2013, 12:25 AM
After checking the spoiler pdf, there are a ton of cards, that have changed, mostly nerfs, but some buffs too.
for example:
extinction resourcecost down to 4 (before 5)
Phönix guard aeronaut has no longer the "opponent chose play cards/attack" ability
Hydra thingy is a 4/4 (up from 2/2) and gets +1/+1 everytime it was dealt non fatal damage

and most cards with complicated abilities are not yet available to play (like, Urunaz, Eye of Creation, Zombie Plague, ...)

Aradon
10-09-2013, 04:39 AM
Given that Colin admitted it was a Wild card that got changed, and each 3-cost wild card seemed to still be the same in the spoiler (at the same cost, at least), I'm guessing it was Eye of Creation as well. I was partially right on my guess that Chlorophyllia doesn't give charges anymore, though :)

EntropyBall
10-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Chlorophyllia was also nerfed by no longer giving charges but the cost is the same

The other indirect nerf is that it doesn't trigger Wild Root Dancer anymore.

hex_colin
10-10-2013, 04:50 PM
I just posted the reveal and the winner!!!

http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/10/10/omg-they-nerfed-it-reveal-winner/

Mokog
10-10-2013, 06:26 PM
I just posted the reveal and the winner!!!

http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/10/10/omg-they-nerfed-it-reveal-winner/

This is how I feel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j54yGxuk0yo

Skirovik
10-10-2013, 06:48 PM
Congrats Mokog! :D

Quasari
10-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Grats mokog:)