PDA

View Full Version : Mono Sapphire Flight

ChazSpaz88
10-06-2013, 07:12 AM
Hey guys here's a mono sapphire deck that I threw together. The problem I had with deckbuilding when I played Magic was I often had too many ideas and the goal of the deck got lost. Let me know what you think!

Champion
Feather Drifting Downriver

Troops (Cost)
4 Ancestors' Chosen (1)
4 Thunderbird (2)
4 Buccaneer (3)
2 Cerulean Mirror Knight (3)
3 Void Leech Phantasm (4)
3 Wizard of the Silver Talon (4)
2 Menacing Gralk (5)

Other (Cost)
3 Air Superiority (2)
3 Oracle Song (3)
4 Countermagic (3)
2 Sapphire Aura (3)
3 Time Ripple (3)
23 Sapphire Shard

Explaination:
Ancestors' Chosen is an amazing 1 drop who has the potential to create tons of card advantage with 1 cost 3/3 flight troops when Air Superiority out.
Thunderbird is just plain good.
Buccaneer may be my favorite troop. Bounce and troop in 1, I will take it.
Cerulean Mirror Knight I think creates a lot of advantage with a deck full of evasion troops, almost all of which can get inspired by him. He is not the main focus of the deck which is why there are only 2, but I think if he results with at least 1 drawn card he's paid for himself.
Void Leech Phantasm is a constant threat to interrupt in addition to being a well costed 3/4 flight troop.
Wizard of the Silver Talon is my favorite card in the deck. He comes with a flight troop automatically who buffs him. I sign up for any card that is really 2 cards.
Menacing Gralk isn't as strong as similar 5 cost troops but his additional exhausting ability is legit. Again, another card that acts like 2 cards in 1.

The Air Superiority is obvious to have. All other spells were chosen to really make this flight deck very tempo-oriented. I decided to keep a couple of Sapphire Auras to use either to help race an agro deck by adding some evasion, or making a +2/+2 combat trick with an Air Superiority out.

This is the first Hex deck I've made but don't go easy on me. Let me know what you think!

vulture27
10-06-2013, 09:41 AM
I really don't like sapphire aura, but otherwise it looks good. I've seen several people post similar lists so far. My only concern would be can the deck keep up with the ruby aggro deck that tons of people will be running at release. My gut says no.

Simo46
10-06-2013, 06:12 PM
No Flock of Seagulls? Sure they might get burned into oblivion but if they don't I think they might be your help against aggro. Put me down as another Sapphire Aura hater, your champion can bestow the evasion and then it just becomes a 1/1 for 3 cost.

bangari
10-09-2013, 07:55 AM
Ancestors' Chosen is an amazing 1 drop who has the potential to create tons of card advantage with 1 cost 3/3 flight troops when Air Superiority out.

People are way overestimating this card.

Its a 1/1 ground troop for 1, which is unplayable. Sure, it adds 2 free 2/2, but you could very well never see them. even if you do, it would only matter if the board state is such that an extra 2/2 flying would even matter. If they have air blockers, your 2/2 isn't going to break through. If they don't, your already winning. The chance that this sort of board state existing plummets with time. All in all, the average board impact of that card is just too small to matter. A standard 2 cost 2/2 is only good because you expect to cast it on turn 2 and make use of it to deal damage (if you are aggro) and block damage (if vs aggro). I would pretty much take any decent early drop over this card. A decent 2 drop would do much more for you.

Also, I'm not seeing anything in your deck that would allow you to race against aggro or protect against control. Aggro will just outrace you straight up or burn your tiny creatures, then outrace you. Flying only works if you can clog up the ground. If both of you can hit each other, your smaller flying creatures will just lose you the race.

Daer
10-09-2013, 08:03 AM
Ancestor's Chosen adds two 1 cost 2/2 flyers that draw a card when played, to your deck per turn. Not just 2 overall.