PDA

View Full Version : New Card Revealed by Cory

Icepick
10-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Cory tweeted a picture of a new card a little while ago - crazy stuff!
https://twitter.com/coryhudsonjones/status/387271500211830784/photo/1

Kami
10-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Wow... so basically a Serra Angel on steroids. o.o

Gridian
10-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Impressive!

The downside is this: Now I can even less wait for tomorrow :(

Daer
10-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Hehe was just about to post it.

http://i.imgur.com/8oRE7q1.jpg

hitchslap88
10-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Captain of the Dragon Guard, among others, just got a little better.

Facilier
10-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Are they forgetting to apply the PvE mark to the templatwa again? Seems a bit silly as a PvP one, for a chance that somebody might juat drop a 4/4 withe evasion on Turn 1

Icepick
10-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Are they forgetting to apply the PvE mark to the templatwa again? Seems a bit silly as a PvP one, for a chance that somebody might juat drop a 4/4 withe evasion on Turn 1

It wouldn't work on turn 1, since you need a Diamond threshold for the power to be active. On the first turn at least, you aren't going to have any threshold at all so the power won't trigger.

ryuukan
10-07-2013, 10:59 AM

You wouldn't have a white resource on turn 1 before you draw so at least turn 2 :D

houjix
10-07-2013, 10:59 AM

You already have to have a threshold, so at the earliest it's a turn 2 but still.

MoikPEI
10-07-2013, 11:01 AM
*Second turn.
You need a Diamond Threshhold first.

Chiany
Cory, you saved the best for yourself ;)

love, love, love this card and the artwork.

Icepick
This card is actually interesting from a lore perspective too. For starters, it's another Primal, but it also might answer the question of how Angels fit into the lore as well, which is something we've not seen explained so far. If Angels are the "children" of the Avatar of Hope, it all makes a bit more sense, instead of just "HEY LOOK ANGELS."

kormai
Hmm intresting, isnt there a card to place one of your hand cards back on the draw pile?

ossuary
10-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Works well with Captain of the Dragon Guard, Peek, and blind luck. :)

jtatta
10-07-2013, 11:10 AM
This is a card that I think will be pretty vital to a Diamond/X control deck. It's fine to just cast it as a five resource 4/4 but absolutely insane as a free 4/4 when you happen to draw it. Pretty excited to play with this card.

In Magic, I was very much against the "miracle" mechanic. Cards like Bonfire of the Damned, Entreat the Angels, and Terminus were all extremely unfair and created negative play experiences. I think this card as "just a Serra Angel" is fair enough to not create similar situations. I guess we'll see.

nicosharp
10-07-2013, 11:11 AM
bonkers.

Tinuvas
10-07-2013, 11:11 AM
This card is actually interesting from a lore perspective too. For starters, it's another Primal, but it also might answer the question of how Angels fit into the lore as well, which is something we've not seen explained so far. If Angels are the "children" of the Avatar of Hope, it all makes a bit more sense, instead of just "HEY LOOK ANGELS."

Not quite another primal. This card looks to be the avatars of the primal. The rest of your reasoning I agree with though.

HyenaNipples
10-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Major chase card. Almost every deck with diamond will want to have multiple copies of this card.

Sergan
10-07-2013, 11:13 AM
angels!!
my first collection to complete in hex.

Barkam
10-07-2013, 11:15 AM
That card is just insane.

Vengus
10-07-2013, 11:16 AM
This makes me want to play mono diamond, or go back to the Diamond/X ideas I had.

MoikPEI
10-07-2013, 11:20 AM
You only need one Diamond.
This could fit in a three-colour deck.

ossuary
10-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Not quite another primal. This card looks to be the avatars of the primal. The rest of your reasoning I agree with though.

The flavor text discusses the primal.

EmraldArcher
10-07-2013, 11:35 AM
A turn 2 4/4 with flight for free is bordering on over powered.

jtatta
10-07-2013, 11:38 AM
A turn 2 4/4 with flight for free is bordering on over powered.

Sure, but that is extremely lucky and won't often happen. That said, there are still ways to deal with such a play so it isn't like it's just game over.

Thrawn
10-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Really hoping this was supposed to be marked PvE only and someone forgot.

I don't want to waste time watching or playing in a tournament where the winner ends up being decided by someone getting a bunch of lucky "miracle" draws.

Xenavire
10-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Really hoping this was supposed to be marked PvE only and someone forgot.

I don't want to waste time watching or playing in a tournament where the winner ends up being decided by someone getting a bunch of lucky "miracle" draws.

On turn 2 it can already be hit with inner conflict, turn 3 is murder and buccaneers... There is plenty of cheap removal, and with persecute you can wipe out ever copy in one go.

It is a great card, but a single miracle draw will not be an auto-win.

Juve
10-07-2013, 12:27 PM
one card isnt enough im still wating for full spoiler :)

Vengus
10-07-2013, 12:33 PM
one card isnt enough im still wating for full spoiler :)
I want Cory to reveal the worst card, the absolute biggest junk, the shittiest filler card of the set. :p

knightofeffect
10-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Hmmm, I find myself strangely disappointed by this card.

It just seems like lazy design, slightly better copy of Serra Angel (1 less threshold) or a silly overpowered version of it.

Not having to lose any card advantage (using acceleration) for a turn 1 (with a draw) or turn 2 4/4 flyer with no drawbacks is just unnecessary. It's like someone wanted a Serra Angel, but they wanted it to have a twist too so they just came up with a fun, random-broken-factor ability.

I mean, it's certainly not a bad thing, and will lead to some silly games, just feels... unnecessary.

Will getting "Angel Screwed" become a thing now? :P

EDIT: Original wording came off way more inflammatory than I meant to. I have immense respect for the designers of Hex, there is an incredible amount of depth in the game; it hard to believe there is only around 300 cards currently in the alpha. The fun-factor to balance ratio is really good as well, and I could not be more excited to see what they come up with. I simply meant to convey that the free-to-play ability sounded like something I would have thought was crazy cool on a card when I first started playing =).

Daer
10-07-2013, 01:01 PM
for a turn 1 (on the draw)

You need a diamond threshold for the free cast to work.

Norious
10-07-2013, 01:01 PM
http://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/p480x480/1377332_10202069916369652_651713240_n.jpg

Thanks Cory!

Daer
10-07-2013, 01:02 PM
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=27927

Cazychel
10-07-2013, 01:06 PM
This can be really, really nuts if this would be playable on your opponents turn, as well. (It may very well not work, because HEX wouldn't allow playing it at an otherwise illigal time, but the wording of the card actually can be interpreted that way.)

One turn 2 Angel will really piss some people off and sometimes will simply seal the deal all by itsself, but I hope that will not be the case too often. What certainly will happen are those 0.01% of times where one player draws two or three of these in a row.

For control decks, this might be their Baneslayer Angel for a while - the flying beatstick surrounded by an impenetrable wall of removal and disruption. True though, it's perhaps not the best balanced card.

Also, this seems insane for Inspire decks: Technically the cost are not reduced as such, thus inspire will always trigger for a cost of 5! Well, we'll see how this actually fares in constructed decks.

Hemotherapy
10-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Thanks for posting it Daer, some of us are tweetards and don't twitter accounts and for some ungodly reason it wanted me to sign up to be able to view it!

Glognar
10-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Disagree with those calling it overpowered, its a very lucky person who draws it on turn 2 and it can still be countered.

Still a very good card

Gulbech
10-07-2013, 01:33 PM
really dont like this card, even the chance is X/52, so around 7.5% with 4 left in deck turn 2. It will still makeing it very difficult, just based on a pure luck draw. If you needed 3 Diamond tresshold for this to work, then fine. You could get it turn 4 and forward for free is you played heavy diamond.
But right now, just broken and not fun.

Hemotherapy
10-07-2013, 01:37 PM
bonkers.

Yeah, totally nuts.

(Couldn't resist)

Hemotherapy
10-07-2013, 01:41 PM
really dont like this card, even the chance is X/52, so around 7.5% with 4 left in deck turn 2. It will still makeing it very difficult, just based on a pure luck draw. If you needed 3 Diamond tresshold for this to work, then fine. You could get it turn 4 and forward for free is you played heavy diamond.
But right now, just broken and not fun.

That's if it's a 4 of, which it might not be in most decks.

Also, the set could be balanced around such a bonkers card...we all need to collectively stop thinking how broken the card would be in an MTG format and think hey this is hex, they've balanced the set around this kind of stuff, it shouldn't be broken.

If it were, they failed at doign their jobs.

Zomnivore
10-07-2013, 01:50 PM
If tomorrow is the new dawn I'm going to time wizard you guys into true suffering!

Groundhog-daying you into eternal pre-launch torment!

Eierdotter
10-07-2013, 02:03 PM
first card that makes me want to think about building a diamond deck...

Vengus
10-07-2013, 02:10 PM
What people need to understand is that just because you draw this card on turn 10 doesn't mean it is really much worse than turn 2. It is still a free card meaning you can use those resources for something else that turn. I wouldn't mind getting a free 4/4 flight, steadfast on any turn. :p

IndigoShade
10-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Uh, if that card goes live in that state I think I just found a new top candidate for what I hope one of the collector's tier alt art cards is. Both because I don't really like that art and because that card is ridiculous.

Xenavire
10-07-2013, 04:58 PM
This is fairly good, but you gotta remember that getting several in your starting hand makes them less attractive. Seriously, 3 of these means a forced mulligan almost every time. And even one of these might be enough to encourage a mulligan - going down a card just to get a free cast if you draw it...

And a 4/4 for free late in the game only makes a diference if you are resource screwed, or have kept a ton of bombs in your hand.

It's definitely good, no doubt there, but not as overpowered as people think. I would consider maindecking a few, depending on what other options are available. Would be a hell of a draft pick though - barely any of the legendary PvP cards look like bad picks though, so it should be pretty epic pulling one.

jaxsonbatemanhex
10-07-2013, 05:37 PM
It's pretty good, but I think I'd actually prefer Droo's in a diamond deck in many cases. Effectively, as a 5 drop, Droo's is much better, especially if you're running one of the champs that 'enables' it.

So in order to bridge that gap between this and Droo's, we look at the free play. Effectively, it only *really* shines if you draw it on turn 2, 3 or 4. Sure, you can get it on turn 5, but you would've likely been playing a 5 drop anyway.

Beyond that, it only really shines if it enables you to play at least one more good card on that turn. For example, getting 2 of these out on turn 5 is a good play that makes a good case for it. Getting one of these for free on turn 7, when you have nothing else to spend your mana on? Not really a strong point.

Ultimately, it's pretty good, and will likely see play. But it doesn't look broken, and certainly won't be an auto-include in decks.

AphoticRegret
10-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Serra Angel with 1 diamond threshold and Miracle for free??? yes please!

EmraldArcher
10-08-2013, 06:28 AM
Having thought about it some more there is no way this card makes it to release without being changed somehow.

Even if there is only a 7.69% chance of top decking this on turn 2 (if you went second) that's still high enough to happen fairly frequently.

I think a simple change that would tone it down enough would be to change the ability to require 2 diamond threshold (thus not letting you play this and Aerial Superiority on the same turn) or change the ability to reduce the cost by 3 or 4 instead of making it free so that you don't still have all your mana for that turn.