PDA

View Full Version : Escalation- the anti decking mechanic

TheRhys
10-08-2013, 12:57 AM
Hmmm I was just thinking, If you put an escalation card or 2 in your deck, this is pretty good insurance against getting decked. Since as they resolve they always go back into your deck, you could essentially get down to 1 card, and draw it over and over and over. Now this is likely not going to be a problem for pure Mill decks ie take the top X cards from the deck and discard them however it may be a counter for decks which just suck a lot of cards out a few times. Either way, once you start getting milled down (assuming your escalation cards don't get milled) they're going to very rapidly get VERY powerful.

jaxsonbatemanhex
10-08-2013, 01:18 AM
It doesn't do enough to be a very effective anti-mill tech. I mean, at this point Ragefire is the only one that could feasibly ramp up enough to kill the opponent without a lot of support (Chronic Flooding and Relentless Corruption need more mill help; Eternal Youth doesn't help win at all). You'd firstly need to have 4 copies in order to hit it four times (the amount of times you'd need to cast it in order to do 20 damage with them), and in order to have a fair chance of having copies survive each turn of milling. And heck, say you get down to your last 3 cards in library, and one of them is a Ragefire - odds still are that you won't draw it.

At this point, the best anti-mill technique is to win before they mill you out.

Estar1
10-08-2013, 05:58 AM
Theres likley to be a wild one that probably would give +x+x that escalates (seeems weird that all the other colors would get an escalation spell at rare and not wild. +x/ +x makes the most sense as for its effect.

bwarner
10-08-2013, 06:42 AM
A milling deck is presumably making you discard cards from your deck (only discarding from hand is not an effective way to mill). So why do you think that if you have been milled down to less than 5 cards, your opponent is suddenly going to become unable to make you lose those last 5 cards from your deck, regardless of whether you are adding a card back each turn?

Icepick
10-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Personally for the Wild escalation card I'm hoping for something similar to Runts of the Litter.
2 Battle Hoppers for the first cast, 4 for the second etc. Maybe unlikely, but I think it would be cool!

Zomnivore
10-08-2013, 07:09 AM
I loved that, its an anti-mill mechanic and its something that you can work into a deck if you want.

I love that there's some solid counter-play to that, and it also has some drawbacks.

Its freaking cool design.

LargoLaGrande
10-08-2013, 10:35 AM
It doesn't do enough to be a very effective anti-mill tech. I mean, at this point Ragefire is the only one that could feasibly ramp up enough to kill the opponent without a lot of support (Chronic Flooding and Relentless Corruption need more mill help; Eternal Youth doesn't help win at all). You'd firstly need to have 4 copies in order to hit it four times (the amount of times you'd need to cast it in order to do 20 damage with them), and in order to have a fair chance of having copies survive each turn of milling. And heck, say you get down to your last 3 cards in library, and one of them is a Ragefire - odds still are that you won't draw it.

At this point, the best anti-mill technique is to win before they mill you out.

I assume you mean Chronic Madness (otherwise, yea Chronic Flooding requires a LOT of help to deck someone). Chronic Madness actually kills in 4 casts as well, milling 45 cards total. It requires it to be after turn 8, unlike Ragefire, but I'll be pretty impressed if you manage to cast #4 by then anyway.

jaxsonbatemanhex
10-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Haha, Chronic Flooding is the Magic mill card, my bad. :-P

That's true, but yeah, both are unlikely. The most likely decks to get so many escalation cards (without being decks with something like Ascetic Aspirant) are hard control decks that draw some cards and survive many turns, meaning they have much higher chances of eventually drawing 4 of the escalation cards.

EmraldArcher
10-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Anyone else think that escalation life gain might actually be a thing? 75 cumulative health the 4th time you use it.