PDA

View Full Version : Bug reporting

Bossett
10-08-2013, 01:06 AM
I'm assuming CZE has some specific stuff they want to use, but to keep things nice and orderly, can I suggest the following steps for good bug reporting?

Treat bugs, feature requests and design choices the same - some things aren't intentional, some features simply don't work, some design choices introduce use-case issues. Don't go crazy, but it's probably appropriate to report everything.
Check your client - ensure that you are using the latest version of the client before doing anything else. If not; update and try to reproduce the issue.
Isolate the bug - try to reproduce the bug from a 'clean' launch, enabling the smallest number of features required to cause the bug.
Reproduce the bug - make sure that the issue happens more than once.
Check your logs - check your event log, the client logs, etc. to try find something common each time you reproduce.
Check your other applications - make sure it's the game client causing the issue and not something else. Some discretion applies here, but don't report that the client doesn't work if you are blocking it with your firewall.
Make sure you are supported - this is last because sometimes moving to a supported system is a huge pain, and it's sometimes worth reporting a bug without an expectation it'll be fixed (your issue may not be specific to non-supported environments either). But don't expect a fix if you don't meet the minimum system requirements.

When actually reporting bugs:

Check your bug hasn't been reported - search this forum for your issue or error code. Try different wording, etc.
File each bug separately - one post per bug. This makes it easy to search for, and keeps replies on a single topic.
Reply to existing bugs - if you found a bug that had already been posted, post a reply with all the detail as if it were a new issue.
Title it properly - use your title to explain your bug, 'Crash when clicking on blah' is much better than 'Crash'. 'Crash when clicking on blah under Windows XP after 9pm' is better still (assuming that you isolated the issue to XP after 9).
Describe the severity - does this stop you playing? Does it just annoy you? Is it just a strange colour choice?
Describe what you did - be specific about what you are doing when the issue occurs.
Describe Expected and Actual behaviour - describe what you expected to happen, and then what actually happened.
Be as detailed about yourself as you can - include your operating system, video card, etc., include a dxdiag log.
Be as detailed about the client as you can - include the client version (not just 'latest'), client settings (such as resolution, full screen, etc.) including the defaults that it chose, things you changed (including things you changed back).
Be as detailed about the issue as you can - include screenshots, video, etc., whatever you need to to demonstrate that your bug exists and show the developers and everyone else how to reproduce it. This helps with searching, troubleshooting, etc. etc.

Once you have decided to post, after titling your bug, the following template may be helpful:

Severity:
<Describe the impact of the bug, from 'the green is too blue-ish' to 'set fire to my computer each time I reproduced'>

Steps to Reproduce:
<Describe the action or series of actions you took to expose the issue>

Expected Behaviour:
<Describe what you expected to happen when performing the above steps. 'Not Crash' is probably fine, assuming enough detail in the steps above.>

Actual Behaviour:
<Describe what actually happened, and how it differed from expectation. 'Crash' is probably fine, if you have enough detail above. Include attachments! Images! Video! Anything!>

My System:
<Describe your environment, include attachments if you have them, dxdiag logs, driver versions, recent changes, etc.>

Client Details:
<Describe the client, how it was installed, was it upgraded, what version is it, etc. Describe your in-game settings, including defaults it used. Describe previous settings, and things you changed.>

Kroan
10-08-2013, 02:41 AM
I'm not sure, but I think I read in one of the latest update that there will be a bug-reporting tool. This means that some of the things you mention are not necessary.

Also I can advice people who are streaming to note the stream url and the time point in the bug report.

Soldack
10-08-2013, 05:24 AM
I need to report a bug. It's Oct. 8th and I don't have my alpha invite.

;);)

Kami
10-08-2013, 05:26 AM
Moving this thread to discussions as it's ideal to keep the HEX Alpha Bug Report forum limited to actual bug reports.

ramseytheory
10-08-2013, 07:13 AM
This is an excellent guide and should be stickied. (I was thinking of writing something along the same lines myself...)

Kami
10-08-2013, 07:40 AM
This is an excellent guide and should be stickied. (I was thinking of writing something along the same lines myself...)

I'm waiting to see if CZE has a set of guidelines of their own first. :)

johnnysmith
10-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Was playing the game and notice that a few cards might have text error. Do i report it here?

Bossett
10-09-2013, 12:13 AM
Probably not in this thread; http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=27995 has Official Guidelines.