PDA

View Full Version : Spirit dance, OP?

Purpherb
10-09-2013, 12:38 AM
Looking through the cards, one really stood out to me. I am not very knowledgable in tcgs so I cpuld be completly wrong.

Amyway, spirit sance is a 5 cost, two green threshold card tree hat makes all crearures in your deck have permanent +2/+2 and cost -2. Antine else think this is pretty ridiculous, especially for green.

Kingrags
10-09-2013, 12:40 AM
I have no idea how good that is... is still stuck in mtg mindset... I mean... it does absoulutly nothing untill you draw a new creature... but then again... the effect is very powerfull

Shadowelf
10-09-2013, 12:51 AM
It definately is a powerful effect, especially if you could ramp your way to it, then start unloading some of those awesome wild faties like Jadiim and battle beetle. As for being ridiculous i won't know till i try it :)

Showsni
10-09-2013, 12:52 AM
It's certainly a card I want to try out when alpha hits! So much better than the version we had floating around on the database websites before. I think it's too early to cry "broken!" on anything yet, especially as they've clearly been balancing cards up to now (see how many cards in the spoiler have changed from the first versions we saw).

Badger
10-09-2013, 02:24 AM
Will need to fill the deck with every 2 cost ally that draws a card.. just not many of those out yet. I think it'll be a card that gets more and more bonkers as more sets come out.

keldrin
10-09-2013, 02:55 AM
Will need to fill the deck with every 2 cost ally that draws a card.. just not many of those out yet. I think it'll be a card that gets more and more bonkers as more sets come out.
I agree with that. It could definitely get crazy, with the right cards available.

murmeli
10-09-2013, 03:04 AM
Tricky card to cast i would say.

If you cast it right when you have 5 resources if gives your opponent advance. You pay 5 resource and you need to draw the cards to get effect. Opponent can cast 2 small creatures with that same resource.

And you need also card draw to get the spirit dance to work well.

Against fast red hard to play, but against slow decks it would be good.

Icepick
10-09-2013, 03:14 AM
Oh wow. Spirit Dance (according to an old reveal) used to give all troops +2/-2, not +2/+2. No idea if that was a typo or just a graphical glitch caused by the relatively low resolution of the image, but it's definitely a lot better now!

vickrpg
10-09-2013, 03:49 AM
entirely possible to drop it turn 3.
Turn 1: Resource, Howling brave
Turn 2: Resource, Clorophilia
Turn 3: Spirit dance.
Profit.

dogmod
10-09-2013, 03:50 AM
Some of the key points would seem to be "in your deck"... the fact that you are getting the cost reduction only after you have reached 5 resources which means that it would only be enabling a few more cards beyond the 5 resources. It seems interesting but without card draw (and in a troop heavy deck to really take advantage of the effect you likely wouldn't have a great deal of card draw) and at that point in the match I don't think it would be OP. It is one of the cards they have created that while it doesn't have RNG inside of its mechanic it is HIGHLY reliant on RNG. If you cast this card then drew 4 senseis of the milky (or whatever its called now) and then drew a Fist of Briggadon it would be ridicuolously OP... on the other hand if alll you drew after casting the card was resources and more spirit dances you are going to be SOL. I would line this card up with replicator's gambit along the lines of cards that are only OP if the RNG god is on your side.

bangari
10-09-2013, 05:40 AM
Looking through the cards, one really stood out to me. I am not very knowledgable in tcgs so I cpuld be completly wrong.

Amyway, spirit sance is a 5 cost, two green threshold card tree hat makes all crearures in your deck have permanent +2/+2 and cost -2. Antine else think this is pretty ridiculous, especially for green.

It has potential, but its not really as op as you seem to think.

In essence, you're giving up on a turn + 5 mana worth of resources. For that mana, you could have a pretty powerful creature down affecting the board state immediately. How many turns will it take for spirit dance to create equivalent value?

The value is only created IF you draw a creature card and IF that creature is relevant/good enough. Just on top of my head i would assume it would take, on average, at least 2 draws. By then, it could very well be too late.

Obviously you could tailor your deck to make the card more effective, but my point still remains. Its a mana intensive card that does absolutely nothing for you when you first cast it. Thats a giant warning sign in other TCGs. I'm sure there could be midrange decks that would make it work, but its not going to be too different in terms of power from other midrange deck finishers.

Also, it depends on how fast a format Hex's set 1 is. In general, MTG ends at around turn 6-7, so if hex is anything similar you're not going to have a lot of time left after casting this for it to give you value.

Also, i'm assuming the +2/+2 is not a typo. The old +2/-2 effect is horrible. Its only useful if you're doing aggro, and aggro wont ever play a turn 5 card with no immediate impact.

EmraldArcher
10-09-2013, 05:52 AM
It needs a draw engine to complement it.

If you suddenly start dropping creatures for 1 or 2 mana that can trade or eat your opponents creatures that cost 4 or 5 mana because of the +2/+2 you're in business.

Otherwise it's kind of a win more card.

Aradon
10-09-2013, 05:59 AM
Here's the problem with Spirit Dance: It's a card that you can only put 4 of in your deck. You can't build around this effect, because you won't always draw it. Ideally, you'd put it in a deck with a bunch of 3-mana 3/3s that become 1-mana 5/5s (maximizing the effect), but you'll end up playing a creature-heavy deck that builds board presence to stay in the game until you cast Spirit Dance. After you cast Spirit Dance, you need to benefit from playing new creatures in a manner that will give you an advantage over your opponent. The thing is, in a creature-heavy deck, you'll likely have a reasonable board presence when you cast Spirit Dance, meaning you'd probably just play an overrun card instead, winning you the game on the spot.

Spirit Dance was more interesting to me when it gave all your creatures +2/-2, because then there was the tantalizing possibility of them dying from your library (given more recent information about Mortar Strike, and creatures in libraries with damage marked on them, this isn't likely any more), letting you dump a lot of inspire creatures into your graveyard. As it is, I don't think I'd be playing Spirit Dance in many decks.

felmare
10-09-2013, 08:25 AM
i know cory said that card will never be reduced to 0 cost but... spirit dance basically does that. could you imagine ancestors chosen with ramp and spirit dance? oh 0 cost 4/4 flyer and i draw a card.. oh i got another 4/4 flyer for 0 and i get another card? ok your turn you die unless you play extinction. gg? combo?

Maphalux
10-09-2013, 08:32 AM
They didn't say never. They said they would avoid it where it would lead to degenerate combos. Spirit Dance does not lead to a degenerate combo and the scenario you describe is "best case." Most of the time it is not going to work like that. Giving up your turn 5 play on a spell that doesn't even impact the board is a huge risk and will often lead to a match loss.

caffn8d
10-09-2013, 08:51 AM
You almost need a way to play it and immediately capitalize with card draw. Not impossible, but tricky. Definitely a fun card though since it encapsulates a lot of what I love about the HEX design space.

felmare
10-09-2013, 08:51 AM
still free 4/4 flying cantrips on turn 6 and if you draw into more turn 7 they are dead on the board.
the problem with playing it in conjunction with ancestors chosen is that the ones that go in the deck after the spirit dance dont get buffed.

Aradon
10-09-2013, 08:53 AM
With an ideal setup, you can do the same with lots of other cards too. Don't forget, though, that it'll only reduce the cost of the spirits that are in your deck on turn 5. Any that are created after that are going to be regular 2/2s.

caffn8d
10-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Also remember if you have a lot of card draw and a secure enough board position to blow 5 mana on the *possibility* of a payoff, you're probably on your way to winning already. Like I said though, fun card. :)