PDA

View Full Version : File hosting will need to be beefed up eventually.

Connected
10-09-2013, 02:42 PM
We're downloading somewhere around 5KB/s due to the fact that the launcher does not require authentication before you can start downloading files so everyone and their mother is downloading.

Are there any plans in work to require authentication previous to file download?

elsimer
10-09-2013, 03:13 PM
I, for one, can guarantee not everyone is downloading. I'm not. :(
Of course, I guarantee if I got the link I'd be using it.

Veratu
10-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Gameforge... no good. I hope the game servers themselves aren't hosted there, especially considering their origin servers are in Germany.

Hieronymous
10-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I don't understand why people who don't have game access are downloading the client anyway.

Truhls
10-09-2013, 03:34 PM
to have it ready. I am really surprised they did not see this coming and either attach the download to your email or make it so you have to login first.

Myst
10-09-2013, 03:35 PM
This is kind of ridiculous that no one at Cryptic thought about this. Why aren't we authenticating before downloading? I have been downloading for 2 hours and I am not even at 50% done.

Connected
10-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Guys, keep in mind I'm asking a legitimate question. I don't want this to just turn into a complaint thread - I want it productive or to get a response.

Selix
10-09-2013, 03:38 PM
They just need to use a torrent like system. Problem solved.

Veratu
10-09-2013, 03:40 PM
The immediate issue will subside in a day, so it's a short term problem. The real issue is if they maintain this for launch (which I imagine they will not and they have some free/low cost arrangement with Gameforge during alpha/beta to host it).

Baron
10-09-2013, 03:40 PM
They could always switch to a P2P method for downloading the game client and then move to a direct download one down the road.

Bleeding_Edge
10-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Yeah I'm hung on "Starting Up". It attempts to grab HexPatch.txt.new, then resets. Anyone else having similar results?

Hexgo
10-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Would be nice if they would use some torrent like piratebay, isohunt or what ever. I'd help to seed if it's an official source.

silverlocke
10-09-2013, 03:54 PM
I am on file 96/3367 after 15 minutes. Not especially fast, and a good point to bring up.

zifster
10-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Yeah I'm hung on "Starting Up". It attempts to grab HexPatch.txt.new, then resets. Anyone else having similar results?

This was happening for me as well until I moved the install filed from my H:\ drive to H:\HEX

escapeRoute
10-09-2013, 04:22 PM
dudes, its an alpha.... its supposed to be a test for all the possible mistakes in order to avoid them during the official launch... that is the wrong part in letting people buy alpha codes... they expect everything to be smooth and they want to play.. when alpha is actually a way to test and find bugs, not to have fun...

i am not in and im not downloading, i dont actually get all the people who are downloading it, but i dont also get those who are complaining with cripto did a mistake... its an alpha.. its supposed to be filled with mistakes, if u dont like em then u shouldnt participate in it

dwebber88
10-09-2013, 04:36 PM
dudes, its an alpha.... its supposed to be a test for all the possible mistakes in order to avoid them during the official launch... that is the wrong part in letting people buy alpha codes... they expect everything to be smooth and they want to play.. when alpha is actually a way to test and find bugs, not to have fun...

i am not in and im not downloading, i dont actually get all the people who are downloading it, but i dont also get those who are complaining with cripto did a mistake... its an alpha.. its supposed to be filled with mistakes, if u dont like em then u shouldnt participate in it

While i agree with you that we have to be forgiving of mistakes, since it is an alpha, i also think this could have been easily prevented by thinking about the right things. Tunnelvision into the release while no p2p or auth access was even considered. I know that is a big assumption but making it p2p or with an auth access really isn't more than 15 minutes extra work.

Also i think that you can't blame people for dowloading a public installer. And i feel for the ones that are invited already but have to wait for the remainder of the download.

escapeRoute
10-09-2013, 04:41 PM
While i agree with you that we have to be forgiving of mistakes, since it is an alpha, i also think this could have been easily prevented by thinking about the right things. Tunnelvision into the release while no p2p or auth access was even considered. I know that is a big assumption but making it p2p or with an auth access really isn't more than 15 minutes extra work.

Also i think that you can't blame people for dowloading a public installer. And i feel for the ones that are invited already but have to wait for the remainder of the download.

well, i for one have the a slacker backer pledge but im not downloading the client in advance so, yes, i blame them... i mean... no point in downloading something if u cant play it and if u shouldnt be allowed to donwload it in the first place... its called manners... i learned them when i was a child... they also are selfish.... they could wait for tonight to start the download or maybe tomorrow...

what are they thinking? if the gk cant enter the server (and test its stability) cripto will probably not send the other invites...

ps: also, yes, its true, i know they had many ways to solve this problem with little to no effort, but, hey... no reasons to argue now.. what has been done has been done :/ we can just hope they learned theyr lesson

Grimthorn
10-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Conspiracy: They are intentionally down throttling the download so that they can go get some much needed rest before people can actually get into the game and pepper then with bugs, server issues, and whiny forum posts.

:)

silverlocke
10-09-2013, 04:53 PM

The point of alpha and beta in games is to provide feedback directly to developers. You can't just sit there and say "its alpha". You need to provide information on what is happening, what you like, what you don't like, how you'd fix it. This improves the game for everyone.

The pure fact that you're not even trying to test makes your comments unnecessary and unwarranted.

mudkip
10-09-2013, 05:40 PM
They just need to use a torrent like system. Problem solved.

It's so freaking obvious! At the least, they could share the big stuff (art assets) on a public torrent and then leave the last 5% to be downloaded from the servers.

We also should have been given these files a few days ago. Again, stuff like art assets won't change and they make up most of the size - why couldn't we get these earlier?

Kietay
10-09-2013, 05:41 PM
This is kind of ridiculous that no one at Cryptic thought about this. Why aren't we authenticating before downloading? I have been downloading for 2 hours and I am not even at 50% done.

Why would you think they would have thought of this? This is the company that thought they could release beta in september. If they can underestimate the last 10% of development time by months, they can certainly make any other of the plethora of mistakes they have made so far.

knightofeffect
10-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Downloading for almost 4.5 hours and I'm 44% done; my internet speed is 35mbps, downloading around 5kbps.

dwebber88
10-09-2013, 06:13 PM
It's so freaking obvious! At the least, they could share the big stuff (art assets) on a public torrent and then leave the last 5% to be downloaded from the servers.

We also should have been given these files a few days ago. Again, stuff like art assets won't change and they make up most of the size - why couldn't we get these earlier?

Right about the torrent part, but they clearly said they were still working on the launcher so that should answer your question.

The_Shatner
10-09-2013, 06:16 PM
On top of the slow speeds, I'm also seeing the downloader demand a pretty absurd amount of CPU

Genocidal
10-09-2013, 06:19 PM
On top of the slow speeds, I'm also seeing the downloader demand a pretty absurd amount of CPU

Same, I hadn't thought to check until you mentioned it but the patcher is using a full core and 600MB of RAM.

dwebber88
10-09-2013, 06:23 PM

about 9% on my Intel i7

Drake6k
10-09-2013, 06:40 PM
I've been downloading since the first 5 minutes of getting my alpha email. I had to restart 3 times now and each time it starts over. The best I've done is 70% and now I'm back to 1.1% and it looks like it will take all night :( No HEX again, ugh!! A torrent could solve all of this.

johnnysmith
10-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Yes!!! Too slow. I have been installing for like the past 3hr and all my 3 computer are still like 20-30% done. I really can't wait for my invite. Any idea when slacker will receive it?

Draxy
10-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Slackers shouldnt be downloading it at the moment. Wait for your actual turn, you are just crippling the rest of us.

Also, you push back when you guys will get your invites. You are doing yourselves no favors.

johnnysmith
10-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Why can't slacker download at this moment? All my guild mate are downloading it already and almost all have not receive the invite yet. Don't see the reason why we can't download.

Razzlefraz
10-09-2013, 06:49 PM
my patcher starts to download then at about file 17 it says "update failed" is that normal and just something to wait out or is there something else i can try. I understand it's going slow i just want to get it started my GK invite doesn't really do me much good if it won't download at all.

ramseytheory
10-09-2013, 06:52 PM
You shouldn't be downloading right now because when you do, it gives you literally no benefit over waiting a few days while hurting other people by blocking them from playing the game. This is Human Empathy 101 here.

e: Think of it as like DDOSing other people's fun.

Badger
10-09-2013, 06:54 PM
If you have not received an invite email then do not download. How can people be so oblivious and selfish?

beepharoni
10-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Why can't slacker download at this moment? All my guild mate are downloading it already and almost all have not receive the invite yet. Don't see the reason why we can't download.

It's not that you can't. It's that you shouldn't.

johnnysmith
10-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Whatever man!!! I don't see why I should stop downloading. You are the one that is selfish and elitist I must say. We Slacker pay with hard earn US$$$ too.

Genocidal
10-09-2013, 07:07 PM
If you download now, you delay the first wave from getting in and being able to stress the servers. The longer it takes things to be stable with the first wave, the longer it takes everyone else (including you) to get in and start testing. Make sense?

panicking
10-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Looks like johnnysmith is responsibly d'loading from that special mirror (http://trololololololololololo.com/) :P

sukebe
10-09-2013, 07:09 PM
we aren't saying don't download it at all Johnny, we are saying wait a day or 2. there are many reasons for this but I will skip the moral and opinion based ones and give you some simple facts:

1: You and others who are not yet invited into the alpha are drastically slowing the download speed for those 1k or so who have been invited. If you could somehow play I would understand but you cannot play yet so you are causing problems for others for no gain to yourself.

2: You are slowing down the testing of the play servers drastically. This means that you are screwing yourself and everyone else who has not yet received an invite to the alpha. No new invites will go out until they are comfortable with how the servers are doing with the current players. they cannot test this until the players can get into the game.

This situation isnt ENTIRELY the fault of those downloading early, as CZE should have put the download behind an authenticator. However, you and people like you will share a great deal of the blame for slowing down the entire alpha invite progression simply because you feel entitled to an early download of a file that will do you no good in the near future and could be obtained at a later date (more quickly even) and still help you the same amount as getting it now will do.

ramseytheory
10-09-2013, 07:14 PM
I was going to engage with you, then I looked at your post history. We have:

- Three posts bragging about clogging up the download for everyone else.
- One post falsely claiming to already have the game installed.
- Four posts demanding massive upgrades to Slacker Backer.
- Aaand that's it.

On reflection, let's not feed the obvious troll.

Shadowelf
10-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Whatever man!!! I don't see why I should stop downloading. You are the one that is selfish and elitist I must say. We Slacker pay with hard earn US$$$ too.

What you fail to understand is , that the sooner the GKs and up are in. the better for the other tiers will be. Cze need to test server load , fix some issues with the client and gather feedback before they invite the next wave. So you aren't only delaying those people, you are delaying yourself and all the others. Not to mention the fact that there is a good chance that you won't be saving yourself any time by downloading now, since there will probably be a dozen patches before the next waves..

Kalius
10-09-2013, 07:26 PM
In all honesty, people should stop throwing a tantrum over whether someone is downloading now and slowing the download, or downloading in the next wave, which will probably be even bigger, and slowing it then.

Really, complaining about people downloading now won't solve the problem. The real solution is for an improvement to where the file is hosted so people can download it without being throttled.

Lochar
10-09-2013, 07:30 PM
*shrug*

I'm expecting the game server to melt eventually, since we're pointing to a VM on Gameforge's network.

Kalius
10-09-2013, 07:33 PM
It wouldn't surprise me, but this is the entire point of alpha/beta. Finding/breaking stuff that needs to be dealt with/fixed. The throttled speeds are a problem, especially if they aren't fixed before even higher numbers try to download/update.

sukebe
10-09-2013, 07:35 PM
In all honesty, people should stop throwing a tantrum over whether someone is downloading now and slowing the download, or downloading in the next wave, which will probably be even bigger, and slowing it then.

Really, complaining about people downloading now won't solve the problem. The real solution is for an improvement to where the file is hosted so people can download it without being throttled.

I don't mind the downloading so much as I am offended by the attitude. It is human nature to care about yourself more than others so I never expect more. I simply think people need to be honest with themselves and others when it comes to their reasons. I just wanted to point out to the poster that he was not only being a drain on the first wave, but also slowing other waves down. All this is moot though as it has been pointed out that the poster I was responding to is likely just someone who likes to stir up trouble.

Kalius
10-09-2013, 07:38 PM
I don't mind the downloading so much as I am offended by the attitude. It is human nature to care about yourself more than others so I never expect more. I just wanted to point out to the poster that he was not only being a drain on the first wave, but also slowing other waves down. All this is moot though as it has been pointed out that the poster I was responding to is likely just someone who likes to stir up trouble.

In all fairness, the people that already have an invite aren't acting much better, behaving like spoiled children that they can't have their way.

tonyseah
10-09-2013, 07:52 PM
So after reading through all the post, the main point to take away from this thread would be:

Cryptozoic should consider using alternative hosting service;
Cryptozoic should consider including authentication before downloading;
Cryptozoic should consider switching to torrent-like downloading.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is Alpha. we are here to improve the game that we believed in. Let's make the feedback objective and helpful.

dwebber88
10-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Yes!!! Too slow. I have been installing for like the past 3hr and all my 3 computer are still like 20-30% done. I really can't wait for my invite. Any idea when slacker will receive it?

50 guilds, guild has 20 people, average 2 pc's, 2000 unnecessary downloads. thats kinda already twice the amount of the approximate 1000 invites that have gone out.

knightofeffect
10-09-2013, 08:30 PM
In all fairness, the people that already have an invite aren't acting much better, behaving like spoiled children that they can't have their way.

See, this is an interesting point of view.

If you are in a line for a rollercoaster and the rollercoaster has a "You must be 5' to ride this ride" sign, but a a thousands 4'10" people decide they'll go ahead and cut in line anyway even though they know they'll be turned away. When the people that are in line to actually ride the ride say that it's silly for all these people to be in here clogging up the line, they turn around and say "Screw you you selfish assholes".

sukebe
10-09-2013, 08:33 PM

I simply cannot understand this point of view. If it is spoiled to expect people to have some level of empathy, intelligence, and decency the I suppose I am a bit spoiled in that case.:rolleyes:

Edit: In addition Kalius, we are not "throwing a tantrum". I and others have pointed out good reasons that what they are doing is a bad thing to do. I didnt even get into the moral reasons for not disadvantaging others for no reason. If you have logical points that counteract the points I made I am all ears (or eyes in this case).

Kalius
10-09-2013, 08:45 PM
I simply cannot understand this point of view. If it is spoiled to expect people to have some level of empathy, intelligence, and decency the I suppose I am a bit spoiled in that case.:rolleyes:

no, it's spoiled to think that since you have an invite -now- that you are entitled to be the only ones downloading, and that everyone else should wait until they get their invites, which will be in a larger wave and have throttled speeds anyways, on top of everyone having to update at the same time when the game gets patched, which will again throttle speeds.

All the people think is "I have invite, I want to play now! fuck you all!" instead of "oh hey, these download speeds need to be fixed"

Handsofevil
10-09-2013, 08:49 PM
since you have an invite -now-... and that everyone else should wait until they get their invites

You disproved your own point right there. GK+ HAVE their invite. Everyone else doesn't. They are intentionally slowing down speeds for something they cannot use.

SomeoneRandom
10-09-2013, 08:49 PM
I think we all agree the download speeds need to be fixed, but the point still remains that they had a specific amount of people they were sending invites to (1,090 I believe). Using this assumption they thought their current solution was workable assuming a certain percentage of people downloading, and some people using multiple computers etc. Multiplying this number by 5-10 jumps their expectations and throttles the servers. Who knows... their solution may have been fine for 1,090 people at once, but at 2,180 you get 5kb/s.

Software is all about managing expectations, they don't want to stand up more servers than they need to, for later waves they would be assuming everyone is updating AND there are new people so they would have the capacity already in their minds.

The_Shatner
10-09-2013, 08:51 PM
ITT: Ad Hominem attacks

Kalius
10-09-2013, 08:52 PM
You disproved your own point right there. GK+ HAVE their invite. Everyone else doesn't. They are intentionally slowing down speeds for something they cannot use.

have you bothered to read any of my posts in their entirety? I'm not saying people should/should not download or anything. I'm saying people should stop fighting over it and request that the speeds be fixed. also it's cute how you edit the quote to make your argument look better by cutting out what's between those two parts.

Handsofevil
10-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Yes, we should expect a company to fix something that shouldn't be a problem.

sukebe
10-09-2013, 08:55 PM
no, it's spoiled to think that since you have an invite -now- that you are entitled to be the only ones downloading, and that everyone else should wait until they get their invites, which will be in a larger wave and have throttled speeds anyways, on top of everyone having to update at the same time when the game gets patched, which will again throttle speeds.

All the people think is "I have invite, I want to play now! fuck you all!" instead of "oh hey, these download speeds need to be fixed"

I am copying this into another post so I will post it here again for you since you missed it the first time it seems:

we aren't saying don't download it at all Johnny, we are saying wait a day or 2. there are many reasons for this but I will skip the moral and opinion based ones and give you some simple facts:

1: You and others who are not yet invited into the alpha are drastically slowing the download speed for those 1k or so who have been invited. If you could somehow play I would understand but you cannot play yet so you are causing problems for others for no gain to yourself.

2: You are slowing down the testing of the play servers drastically. This means that you are screwing yourself and everyone else who has not yet received an invite to the alpha. No new invites will go out until they are comfortable with how the servers are doing with the current players. they cannot test this until the players can get into the game.

In other words, I am trying to get people to realize they are not "getting into the game faster" by downloading now. They are in fact, slowing down their own access.

Kalius
10-09-2013, 08:57 PM
I am copying this into another post so I will post it here again for you since you missed it the first time it seems:

In other words, I am trying to get people to realize they are not "getting into the game faster" by downloading now. They are in fact, slowing down their own access.

I refer you to my last post, which you also seem to have missed. I'm not arguing for or against people downloading. I'm saying stop fighting over it and instead request they improve download speeds.

Wolver_the_Zeta
10-09-2013, 09:00 PM
They only ordered enough sandwiches for the meeting, you aren't in the meeting, stop eating the sandwiches. Don't demand more.

Truhls
10-09-2013, 09:01 PM
i think its funny all the idiots who are downloading the game but cant get in are just making sure it takes a whole lot longer to get in. Instead of the 1-2 days for 250 tiers like they predicted people being impatient probably pushed it to a week+, Funny as hell, they just shot themselves in the foot :D

The_Shatner
10-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Kind of an interesting example of Tragedy of the Commons; where there is one group that is acting rationally and another that is irrational. I feel like there is probably a better name for this circumstance.

Kalius
10-09-2013, 09:12 PM
indeed, it seems the people who just want to see the problem fixed and are waiting mostly patiently are the people in the middle. A lot of the GK+ are upset at having problems getting into an alpha (shocking!!!), a lot of the slacker backers and 250 tiers(i assume) are downloading early, which has found a problem that needs dealt with, and the people in the middle are just wishing everyone would stop yelling at each other and posting thread after thread on the subject.

Truhls
10-09-2013, 09:15 PM
indeed, it seems the people who just want to see the problem fixed and are waiting mostly patiently are the people in the middle. A lot of the GK+ are upset at having problems getting into an alpha (shocking!!!), a lot of the slacker backers and 250 tiers(i assume) are downloading early, which has found a problem that needs dealt with, and the people in the middle are just wishing everyone would stop yelling at each other and posting thread after thread on the subject.

And here you are, trolling just like the rest of the GK+ but for no reason :)

sukebe
10-09-2013, 09:16 PM

It is not the problem that is angering for me (and likely others). I didnt expect logging in to work the first time. What angers me is that while this issue started with CZE making a mistake in the downloader (which has been stated many times, which is why I did not mention it again) it is being compounded exponentially by peoples poor logic and decision making skills. Problems with the files/game are one thing. Problems being caused by the stupid decisions of players is another.

knightofeffect
10-09-2013, 09:17 PM
I refer you to my last post, which you also seem to have missed. I'm not arguing for or against people downloading. I'm saying stop fighting over it and instead request they improve download speeds.

I'm not sure why your point ignores to obvious:

Crypto's intent was the ~1k people would be downloading the game today. They have also said that once they are satisfied with game stability, they would scale up the servers. However, thousands more are downloading the game than Crypto planned due to a lack of foresight by Crypto, this is greatly exceeding the planned bandwidth due to people subverting the invite process in order to download now.

It is obvious that the download bandwidth needs to be increased if everyone is downloading it at once, that is the whole point of a staged rollout. Unfortunately, the nature of humans is to take any opportunity available to them at the cost of the plan, hard work of others (Crypto's engineers staging the rollout), and general good has resulted in the current situation.

I guess that can be expected, but to say the people that were fortunate enough to be included in the first rollout and are aggravated at the needlessly overloaded nature of the servers are being selfish just seems completely absurd.

Vibraxus
10-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Kalius, what problem did all of these people who have no need of the installer show? That the servers that were only designed to supply about 1100 people cant handle hundreds of thousands of people? Hmmm wow, shocker there. What else, hmmmm Oh yeah, servers that were designed to serve about 11oo people cant handle hundreds of thousands.

Tell me exactly what needs to be fixed? What CZE was expecting to serve? I can assure you they will be ready with servers to supply the numbers they expect based on CLOSED invites. Do you think a concert promoter needs to make hundreds of thousands of tickets made available to a show when the venue can only hold 1100 people? Do you think it is an issue that needs to be fixed? Had the promoter been set for a few hundred thousand people wouldnt they have sold a few hundred thousand tickets and setup in a place that would easily seat them? Really dude, explain what needs to be "fixed" based on what CSE invited and expected?

Badger
10-09-2013, 09:19 PM

You have been removed from my Christmas card list.

nearlysober
10-09-2013, 09:25 PM
3 hours... 25%

Maybe I'll get to create my account name before work tomorrow....

Kalius
10-09-2013, 09:28 PM
And here you are, trolling just like the rest of the GK+ but for no reason :)

so telling people to calm down is now trolling? learn something new every day.

Jugan
10-09-2013, 09:46 PM

You realize that your irrational selfishness and greed ends up costing yourself, because you will have to re-patch in the future anyway. By slowing down the process, it takes longer for CZE to see the results they're looking for and by extension causes you to be held out of the game longer.

You are literally the guy who is in the bakery shop waiting in the back of the line and destroys the dough just so the people in front have to wait longer. What you are doing literally accomplishes 0 benefits for you.

Callahan420
10-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Thinking that the download link would not be leaked/given out at some point is just plain stupidity.
Plenty of people seen this coming and begged for a pre-load. But nope and now here we are.
Everyone and their mom is now downloading the game.

I just want to know how many "invited" users gave the link to their friends/guilds? Talking about GK+ of course.
Guess I will be playing around Sunday now instead of tonight like it should have been.

Kalius
10-09-2013, 09:52 PM
Guess I will be playing around Sunday now instead of tonight like it should have been.

Lucky you. Sitting at king and doubt I'll see an invite before saturday, which I'll be playing pokemon then so probably won't notice my invite for a few days when king invites go out.

Handsofevil
10-09-2013, 09:55 PM
There can't be a preload. They were working on bugs last night to get the launcher ready. And I haven't shared with anyone.

Bloodiron
10-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Lucky you. Sitting at king and doubt I'll see an invite before saturday, which I'll be playing pokemon then so probably won't notice my invite for a few days when king invites go out.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this dilemma. From what I can tell though, I'll probably have time to beat the new Elite Four before getting into Alpha (backed at King level)

Vibraxus
10-09-2013, 09:59 PM

Annnnnd the truth is out. Just an angry kid. How many times have you downloaded the Hex client and restarted it?

Kalius
10-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Annnnnd the truth is out. Just an angry kid. How many times have you downloaded the Hex client and restarted it?

none? I don't even know where to get the client. and even if I did I intend to wait until I get my invite(and notice said invite) to download.

Vibraxus
10-09-2013, 10:01 PM
none? I don't even know where to get the client.

So you answer this post, but not the one I asked just a few posts above. Whatever, enjoy Pokemon. Catchem all!

Kalius
10-09-2013, 10:02 PM
So you answer this post, but not the one I asked just a few posts above. Whatever, enjoy Pokemon. Catchem all!

probably because I'm tired of the pointless argument that everyone seems insistent on starting.

Vibraxus
10-09-2013, 10:07 PM
probably because I'm tired of the pointless argument that everyone seems insistent on starting.

Cop out 1-0-1...but its all good. Kick some butt in Pokemon. Believe in the heart of the cards and you will draw that Blue Eyes right when you need it.

Kalius
10-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Cop out 1-0-1...but its all good. Kick some butt in Pokemon. Believe in the heart of the cards and you will draw that Blue Eyes right when you need it.

call it what you want, I never wanted to be in the argument in the first place. But at the end of the day, I'm not the one butthurt because someone refused to argue with me.

Vibraxus
10-09-2013, 10:16 PM
call it what you want, I never wanted to be in the argument in the first place. But at the end of the day, I'm not the one butthurt because someone refused to argue with me.

LOL ok.

butttoots
10-09-2013, 10:19 PM

So your argument has boiled down to an ad hominem shitting on the dude because he likes Pokemon? And he is the kid in this?

Hachima
10-09-2013, 10:21 PM
I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I'm only getting partial image downloads for the pngs. Like the Data\Sets\Set001\Portraits folder.

Kalius
10-09-2013, 10:21 PM
So your argument has boiled down to an ad hominem shitting on the dude because he likes Pokemon? And he is the kid in this?

was that really necessary?

Ingmar
10-09-2013, 10:24 PM
CZE needs to get on the phone to Akamai or some other similar enterprise content delivery partner tomorrow. This has all the hallmarks of someone trying to host things from their own network or a 3rd rate hosting provider.

caffn8d
10-09-2013, 10:25 PM
I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I'm only getting partial image downloads for the pngs. Like the Data\Sets\Set001\Portraits folder.

Yes, I noticed the same thing. Looks like I'll be re-downloading about 90% of the card art during the repair/install process.

Callahan420
10-09-2013, 10:26 PM

I am a King as well and figured if everything went smoothly Kings would be in by Thursday. (I keep thinking it is Thursday for some odd reason.)
But now I think we will be lucky to get in by Sunday. Oh well I have other games I can play.

Soul-of-Void
10-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Everything would be fine if ppl that dont have GK+ would wait with download for 24-48 hours and let GK+ do it in peace. ( im not GK )

Wolver_the_Zeta
10-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Everything would be fine if ppl that dont have GK+ would wait with download for 24-48 hours and let GK+ do it in peace. ( im not GK )

Actually, probably if they just waited about an hour.

Connected
10-10-2013, 12:25 AM

Some will complain, I get that. I dont' want this to be a complaint thread.

I want it to be constructive.

It's going to be a serious issue if they continue to have hosting problems when this goes live. That speed simply cannot be maintained for any definite period of time.

You're right, this is alpha - we're bringing up *EVERYTHING* that is wrong (and right) to bring it to their attention so they can fix it.

Connected
10-10-2013, 12:38 AM
So after reading through all the post, the main point to take away from this thread would be:

Cryptozoic should consider using alternative hosting service;
Cryptozoic should consider including authentication before downloading;
Cryptozoic should consider switching to torrent-like downloading.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is Alpha. we are here to improve the game that we believed in. Let's make the feedback objective and helpful.

This is pretty much one of the only informative posts in this entire thread. I had higher hopes for the crowd but it quickly devolved into attacking one another on a personal basis instead of trying to formulate coherent and mature responses to a problem.

If you cannot get the game in a timely manner, you cannot play it.
If you cannot play it, you cannot test it in the way Crypto wants it to be played/tested.

We know that Battle.net's launcher users P2P along with direct HTTP for downloading. This does not appear to be the case here so it's something to consider.
We know that the forecasting for demand download didn't take into full consideration the effects of giving a public link out in an email. We know this because we are getting 56Kb modem download rates in an age where some people have 50 Mbit/s download capability. I would find it hard to believe any person @ Crypto stated they wanted the launcher to operate like early 1990s Internet so this needs to get fixed.

For everyone else - please stick to ideas in this thread. You are clogging up discussion by nitpicking each other about who should or shouldn't be downloading this game and that argument is better suited for general discussions or your own thread.

Thanks for being considerate moving forward and staying focused on the discussion at hand.

mydragoon
10-10-2013, 12:40 AM
i'm eagerly waiting for my turn. i know i'm towards the bottom of the list... *sigh* regret and wished i had pledged higher.

anyway, i guess its good too... coz hopefully when i get to sample alpha, it will feel more like beta (aka less bugs). :)

ya, this post serves no purpose other than to say that i'm patiently waiting. :)

Connected
10-10-2013, 12:41 AM
Servers are being brought down to tonight to address the download speeds. Maybe we can get some insight into what the problem was.

10/9 - 4:50 PM

Hey all. For those of you in the game, we hope you're enjoying your first experience with HEX with this alpha client.

The servers will be brought down at times this evening and overnight to resolve download speed issues for players installing the client. We are aware of the issue and taking steps to remedy it. Note that this is alpha, so our engineers will often bring down servers to do work throughout the entirety of the alpha period.

Keizo
10-10-2013, 12:55 AM

Your condescending attitude is outright disgusting, and I really don't see why.

OnT: Not sure if the problem lies with the hosting as much as the lack of authentication. Can't even begin to imagine how many people are trying to download the game right now.

draco
10-10-2013, 02:12 AM
The download speeds we are getting really suggest there is something more wrong than just the server bandwidth. Unless they are running the patcher server on on someone's PC in the office, there should be almost no way any decent file serving solution would transfer that slowly.

It's kind of frustrating staring at each individual 1k file getting downloaded at like 200 bytes per second while the patcher eats up 40% of my CPU.

Almost makes me want to drive down the road and knock on their office door so I can hand them a flash drive to put the install on :-/ (not that doing that would be weird or anything....)

Xenavire
10-10-2013, 02:18 AM
Everyone asking for pre-patch authentication: it shouldn't have been needed, but idiots spoil things for everyone.

Pre-patch authentication sucks, every game I have seen use it is a horrible mess. I prefer Blizzards method - pre-patching, streaming data, etc. I hope CZE uses similar methods down the line when everything is stable.

Handsofevil
10-10-2013, 02:21 AM
If they are using a 3rd party company to host the files (which I'm pretty sure they are, I just can't remember the name. Someone found which one it was and posted it). They go to that company and tell them what bandwidth they need, and the server size they will need, this is because Crypto isn't a large enough company to have their own servers. When they ask for (random number, I'm sure it's nothing close to accurate) 1TB/s download capabilities, and they end up needing 3TB/s because more people are downloading than expected, it's understandable to get the speeds we do. And if the patcher is eating up 40% of your CPU then something is wrong with your computer... I went from an average of 6% CPU to a constant 12%. Seems far to me. I see similar jumps when I'm patching any other major game.

ExInferis
10-10-2013, 02:55 AM
Do we have any official words on the actual issue or are people just guessing at random numbers how many users are downloading at the moment and automatically thinks that low speed equals ten thousands of unauthorized users? There are several other factors to consider than the number of users when we are talking about bandwidth/throttling issues but I'm sure CZE know the reasons and will fix them accordingly.

Used in as a complement p2p is a great tool to share some of the load during peak hours but there are other resources that can explain that better than me.

Still good manners to wait for your mail and ok from CZE before starting your download.

I'm a King and I see no advantage in downloading a client that probably will be patched several times before I receive my mail and I'm confident they have solved the speed issues until then.

Handsofevil
10-10-2013, 03:00 AM
We have no hard numbers as to how many people are downloading it. The hard number I do have is that in 2 hours, I got 50% done. My computer crashed and a few files got corrupted so I couldn't continue installing. I deleted everything and started over. It's now been 12 hours and I'm at 87%. Obviously a LOT more people are downloading. That's almost 4x slower.The only thing I can think of to cause this is an increase in the number of people trying to download it at once.

Kalius
10-10-2013, 03:07 AM
For those who still might not have seen it,

The servers will be brought down at times this evening and overnight to resolve download speed issues for players installing the client. We are aware of the issue and taking steps to remedy it. Note that this is alpha, so our engineers will often bring down servers to do work throughout the entirety of the alpha period.

benczi
10-10-2013, 04:12 AM
We're downloading somewhere around 5KB/s due to the fact that the launcher does not require authentication before you can start downloading files so everyone and their mother is downloading.

Are there any plans in work to require authentication previous to file download?

I call bullshit, and that only the players who have access are downloading. AND That actually makes it worse. Better torrent it guys.

Margeth
10-10-2013, 07:04 AM
Started the download a few minutes ago, at 37.9% so far.
Don't have any of the download problems described here, works like a charm for me.

Handsofevil
10-10-2013, 11:52 AM
I call bullshit, and that only the players who have access are downloading.

You can download without access. I agree pre-patch authentication wont be needed long term, but you can't deny that download speeds DROPPED after around 5-6 CST when the link was leaked and more and more people were finding it. I had done 50% in 2 hours until I had a computer issue and had to start over (my error) and it took from 6pm-7am to download the game. The only reasonable explanation is more people downloading over the same bandwidth.

Zaqnak
10-10-2013, 12:52 PM
they updated at 10:03 am saying ''The game creation servers are back up! Additionally, the CDN has been upgraded so players should be experiencing a much faster download time.'' so hopefully download problems for ppl are gone now :P