PDA

View Full Version : That moment you realise...

Draxy
10-09-2013, 02:54 PM
That you should have placed authentication before the download in the installer...

MMO_Unforgiven
10-09-2013, 03:06 PM
....I don't get it, but then again I am a computer dummy lol

SomeoneRandom
10-09-2013, 03:06 PM
=[

Miwa
10-09-2013, 03:10 PM
The link became public, and now thousands of idiots that can't use the alpha are downloading it, so the patcher is really, really, really slow. Probably will take like 10hrs at the current rate.

Facilier

The download link for the game client may or may not have gotten released outside of today's target audience, possibly resulting in slower downloads, as a large number of people who cannot use the client are also downloading it.

MMO_Unforgiven
ahh lol thanks for educating the Jarhead

wildcard
10-09-2013, 03:13 PM
He's saying that with the download link sent via e-mail, anyone on the Internet can download the game client. But it's under 10MB, and will require your account to be active on the servers before you can log in an do anything. It will also probably be patched so many times between new users that having it in advance of your account being active won't benefit you much.

Edit: better answers above. Apparently there are a lot of people downloading it anyway.

danagar
10-09-2013, 03:16 PM
GK Backer here.

I started downloading about 8 mins before the kickstarter update went live, and I'm still downloading ;(

I wouldn't say I have a slow connection either. Can peak at 2.2 MB/s on the torrent client, but not FiOS fast.

Not complaining, just throwing my experience into the hat. If I don't get in till tomorrow, it'll all be good. From here on out it should only get better and better ;D

TechnoBlaze
10-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Solution? log all the IP address that accessed the download, then block access to those IP addresses until release. :D

Kami
10-09-2013, 03:19 PM
All they have to do is change the file that's being linked to one that requires authentication. Then all they need to do is force the server to reject all clients which don't have X version of Patcher.

Or even simpler, password lock the download link to require authentication to at least stem the flow.

Jugan
10-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Pretty much anyone who didn't actually receive an invite and is DLing it is hurting themselves and the game. By delaying the people that can actually play from playing, CZE can't see the people with invites in action, and thus have to wait until all the GK+ finally finish DLing. But at that point, because it's taking so long, it might be diluted which will hurt people more on the lower tiers in the long run.

Daer
10-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Congrats people who are downloading the alpha but can't log in. All you have accomplished is delaying the time you get invited to the alpha.

Veratu
10-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Pretty much anyone who didn't actually receive an invite and is DLing it is hurting themselves and the game. By delaying the people that can actually play from playing, CZE can't see the people with invites in action, and thus have to wait until all the GK+ finally finish DLing. But at that point, because it's taking so long, it might be diluted which will hurt people more on the lower tiers in the long run.
You do realize this is a one day problem, and the Alpha is going to last a long time, as is the Beta... Crypto is going to see plenty of action, just not as much in the first 10 hours or so during the initial rush of downloads.

houjix
10-09-2013, 03:49 PM
About 1 1/2 hours in and just over 77%. Thanks guys.

Rycajo
10-09-2013, 03:51 PM

This. I am not able to start DLing yet myself, but I agree with your logic.

butttoots
10-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Haha so many butthurt people here.

beepharoni
10-09-2013, 03:58 PM
I've been downloading it for over an hour now, and just hit the 25% mark... Slowly but surely getting there.

If I'm lucky I might get to play a game that will crash halfway through before I have to call it a night.

trapline
10-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but would making a peer to peer client download make this an advantage instead of a hindrance?

Grimthorn
10-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but would making a peer to peer client download make this an advantage instead of a hindrance?

Probably, but I doubt this is a peer to peer client. Hopefully they implement that at some time. I too wish that I could just get a zip of the files.

I seem to be getting 2k/minute.

TheChristmasHam
10-09-2013, 04:15 PM
I started the download to preload for my invite, thinking the client was too small to get bogged down in DL, then stopped it as I can't get in yet and it seems to be causing nightmare problems all over with speeds. I hit 90% in like 5 minutes then stopped cold there, but then again I have ultra speed internets. Hopefully more people stop trying to DL for a bit and let the peeps with invites actually get theirs done

Jugan
10-09-2013, 04:17 PM
You do realize this is a one day problem, and the Alpha is going to last a long time, as is the Beta... Crypto is going to see plenty of action, just not as much in the first 10 hours or so during the initial rush of downloads.

You do realize that your reply covers nothing to what I said, right?

You strike me as one of those people who are DLing the client right now, as we speak, despite being a $20 pledger.

blackroseyagami
10-09-2013, 04:18 PM
If I recall correctly, It was mentioned that during the client isn't displaying proper download times so although It might say some percentage it might be another.

sayuu
10-09-2013, 04:20 PM
I started the download to preload for my invite. . .

. . . Hopefully more people stop trying to DL for a bit and let the peeps with invites actually get theirs done

Sigh. . . . .

nearlysober
10-09-2013, 04:32 PM
He did say he abandoned his download attempt when he realized that... but you cut that out.

Bastinazus
10-09-2013, 04:35 PM
The moment you realize that the selfishness is the main cancer of the humanity.

Bastinazus
10-09-2013, 04:38 PM
I started the download to preload for my invite, thinking the client was too small to get bogged down in DL, then stopped it as I can't get in yet and it seems to be causing nightmare problems all over with speeds. I hit 90% in like 5 minutes then stopped cold there, but then again I have ultra speed internets. Hopefully more people stop trying to DL for a bit and let the peeps with invites actually get theirs done

You, sir, are a big douchebag.

TheChristmasHam
10-09-2013, 04:44 PM
You, sir, are a big douchebag.

Because I stopped the download when I realized it was causing problems or because I admitted to making the mistake of thinking the download would be quick on the forums? So many reasons to choose from....

Kalius
10-09-2013, 04:50 PM
I'd say one thing half of the people here are forgetting is that this definitely throws up a red flag that they need to improve their client distribution. So yes, both people with and without an invite have currently found a problem, even if it is not with the game itself.

MoikPEI
10-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Throws up the opposite flag for me.
More people than expected jumped into the pre-loader and it didn't cut out completely?
That's a win in my books.

blackroseyagami
10-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Just a quick reminder for everyone...

This is an Alpha release, and by Alpha release it doesn't mean only the software, but its distribution methods also.

As MoikPEI mentioned, the fact that its holding to some extent seems like good news to me

trapline
10-09-2013, 04:55 PM
The moment you realize that the selfishness is the main cancer of the humanity.

Shucks, and all this time I thought it was Rosie O'Donnell

Kalius
10-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Throws up the opposite flag for me.
More people than expected jumped into the pre-loader and it didn't cut out completely?
That's a win in my books.

I can't think of very many times when file distribution will completely cut people out instead of throttling everyone. and with people getting a reported 5kb/s download speed, that's definitely throttled.

mudkip
10-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Poor TheChristmasHam. The internet likes to only read the first few words, then hit the HATE button.

MoikPEI
10-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Shaqattaq basically just implicitly revealed that Gameplay and CDN are the same server.
That it's been up this whole time really impresses me if that's the case. This was probably a key reason why they wanted to roll out in phases, since a failure of one causes a failure of the other. For the expected frequency and severity of problems, that's a lot of risk. I can understand the desire for mitigation in retrospect.

mudkip
10-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Shaqattaq basically just implicitly revealed that Gameplay and CDN are the same server.
That it's been up this whole time really impresses me if that's the case. This was probably a key reason why they wanted to roll out in phases, since a failure of one causes a failure of the other. For the expected frequency and severity of problems, that's a lot of risk. I can understand the desire for mitigation in retrospect.
Isn't there a saying about putting all your eggs in one basket?

MoikPEI
10-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Yee, and it seems that while the basket shook and shook, none of the eggs cracked. They just cook slow.

Veratu
10-09-2013, 05:28 PM
You do realize that your reply covers nothing to what I said, right?

You strike me as one of those people who are DLing the client right now, as we speak, despite being a $20 pledger.

Odd, because I'm pretty sure my response addressed your entire message below exactly. You are complaining that a 10-12 hour download problem is a detriment to the entire long run of the game, because those of us (me included, but thanks for assuming I'm a $20 pledger) can't get into the game right this second to give CZE what exactly? People playing their alpha for half a day longer? As if that 12 hours of early players is going to give them some defining insight into their own game that they wouldn't get tomorrow. If you think it's going to dilute the player base to a significant degree, you are mistaken.

Statistically speaking, at this stage of release it will be less than 1%. What you are neglecting to notice is that this situation is actually a benefit to CZE as they now have a sense of what a patching/hosting requirement might look like (hint: Not like this).

Having deployed several AAA titles myself and going through this exact scenario, I can tell you first hand that Gameforge didn't allocate the capacity for the demand, it's clearly not on a distributed CDN, and that this problem will subside most likely within 24 hours, especially considering how small the client is, and let's not forget the data set is heavily originating from Germany where data center capacity costs are significantly higher than the US market so I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Gameforge was throttling the patch flow since other servers in their infrastructure are responding quite smoothly. Even the largest of game clients, 10-15GB games trail off by nearly 70% by the 48th hour. So again, this is a short term problem and they have a few things to take away from it as any game company would.

You can relax, the health of the game isn't going to change because competitive MTG players like yourself are delayed several hours to play.

Nlarge
10-09-2013, 05:46 PM
If I stop the download at 99.6% (its been there at least an hour I think) am I going to have to start all over?

ArtAttak
10-09-2013, 06:07 PM
If I stop the download at 99.6% (its been there at least an hour I think) am I going to have to start all over?
I am also very interested in this question.

Drake6k
10-09-2013, 06:51 PM
From my experience (3 restarts so far due to errors or the download stopping) yes, you will have to start over. :( I'm GK and was planning to put Youtube videos up for the community aaaannnnnddd all the idiots who can't even login yet are ruining the day for everyone.

abriggs345
10-09-2013, 06:51 PM

Shouldn't have to, all the files that have already downloaded are on your HDD/SSD. I was about 73% done. I closed the patcher and re launched hex. It started right where it left off. It also only shows the remaining files I need which is 901 instead of the 3k+total files there are. At least the bar will look like it's moving faster now. :rolleyes:

Daer
10-09-2013, 06:52 PM
I stopped and restarted my download fine.

Drake6k
10-09-2013, 06:56 PM
I stopped and restarted my download fine.

I'm super jelly. No idea what is wrong with mine :\

Maric
10-09-2013, 07:47 PM
I may die of old age prior to the client patching. Nice knowing you all. :p

revcr
10-09-2013, 07:52 PM
so wheres this DOWNLOAD link everyones blabbing about?

Vibraxus
10-09-2013, 08:14 PM
All they have to do is change the file that's being linked to one that requires authentication. Then all they need to do is force the server to reject all clients which don't have X version of Patcher.

Or even simpler, password lock the download link to require authentication to at least stem the flow.

This X eleventybillion.

MasterN64
10-09-2013, 08:49 PM
The problem with requiring authentication is its that much more of a headache to code into the patcher and as it is that is what has slowed down the alpha release as it is if i remember correctly. Leave it to download overnight and call it good that its come out and play it tomorrow.

Handsofevil
10-09-2013, 08:50 PM
You still need to authenticate at some point... I'm no codding expert but to me it would require the same amount of work to code it before or after.

sayuu
10-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Poor TheChristmasHam. The internet likes to only read the first few words, then hit the HATE button.

Sigh. . .

renword
10-09-2013, 09:39 PM
so wheres this DOWNLOAD link everyones blabbing about?

Surely in the email for your alpha invite, since you are GK+. ;)

Vibraxus
10-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Surely in the email for your alpha invite, since you are GK+. ;)

Not like it will do any good anyway....lol

Madican
10-09-2013, 09:45 PM
I swear Yahoo is trolling me. I see one new email pop up in my inbox and immediately check it out.

It's spam from Tumblr.

Five minutes later it happens again.

Goodreads this time.

An hour passes and I see the bright red 1 icon on my inbox.

Dammit Facebook!

benczi
10-10-2013, 04:08 AM
The link became public, and now thousands of idiots that can't use the alpha are downloading it, so the patcher is really, really, really slow. Probably will take like 10hrs at the current rate.

I call bulls**t. Why would anyone download the client if they would not be able to play the game? And how did you even get that "number": "thousands"?

taliesin
10-10-2013, 04:21 AM
I call bulls**t. Why would anyone download the client if they would not be able to play the game? And how did you even get that "number": "thousands"?

Because by now we all know how long it takes to get the game installed and we would like to be able to play when we get an invite, not a day later.

Myst
10-10-2013, 04:25 AM

Do you really think people would stop themselves from downloading because they can't login? They have nothing to lose by pre-downloading the game and making sure it is patched up/ready to go the minute they get an invite.

Atomzed
10-10-2013, 04:32 AM
I took 13 hours to download the whole thing. And even after patching, and clicking play now, I didn't even see any screen... :( anyone know what is wrong?

taliesin
10-10-2013, 04:36 AM
I took 13 hours to download the whole thing. And even after patching, and clicking play now, I didn't even see any screen... :( anyone know what is wrong?

Had the same, keep running repair over and over until it works :(

Kietay
10-10-2013, 05:55 AM

Im not sure they know how to do this at this point.

revcr
10-10-2013, 08:09 AM
Im a Knight, =b, im really hoping i get to play soon, cnat really go back to MTGO again =/, save me CZE