PDA

View Full Version : Flying troops: uncounterable with a normal deck?

MoonSohn
10-09-2013, 03:58 PM
I looked at the spoiler card list, and I noticed there there is 0 reach, or some mechanism similar to that. Cards like Storm Colossus versus a deck that has little to no flying troops in the deck have absolutely no response to this threat.

Turtlewing
10-09-2013, 04:01 PM
I looked at the spoiler card list, and I noticed there there is 0 reach, or some mechanism similar to that. Cards like Storm Colossus versus a deck that has little to no flying troops in the deck have absolutely no response to this threat.

In what way is a deck with no flyers meaningfully different from a deck with no flyers and no reach?

blackroseyagami
10-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Take note, not all cards have been spoiled/released yet more can be coming.

Also, well, its a balance thing, just add removal to your deck and might cover all your bases.

MoikPEI
10-09-2013, 04:20 PM
What's wrong with using flying troops to counter flying troops?

Zomnivore
10-09-2013, 04:25 PM
There are not flyer troops with removal if that makes you feel better.

Aradon
10-09-2013, 04:52 PM
There is removal, and anything with a major socket can neutralize a flyer by using the major blue gem to give it less attack. You can outrace fliers, too. Even green gets some anti-flying with it's Shredding Winds action.

HyenaNipples
10-09-2013, 05:34 PM
I think the common wisdom would be that if your deck can't deal with flying troops, it's not a normal deck- it's a pretty bad deck.

malloc31
10-09-2013, 08:21 PM
also magic has reach, but almost no cards with reach are used by good decks in magic ever.

Oni_Reaper
10-09-2013, 11:52 PM
thats true the only card with reach that is even worth a cinsideration is he recluse and thats only cause hes a cheap deathtouch makes for a great early game chump blockerand the whole point to flying is that its difficult to defend aginst ive seen alot of people draft just flyers nd finish top three. if u wanna talk about borken strategies things like nine tail monkey, elixer of youth, immortality, and escaltion these concepts prove that this game is going to based arround obsurdly op cards. flyinbus the least of my worries for sure

Oni_Reaper
10-09-2013, 11:53 PM
sry about typos this with my phone so editing is tedious and well who cares

Glognar
10-09-2013, 11:57 PM
people who are reading it care, I got to the second line and gave up reading your post.

Aradon
10-10-2013, 03:37 AM
I don't think escalation or immortality are going to break any format, limited or constructed. There's still plenty of time to balance the set anyways, if it isn't already.

Oddly, Monkey of Nine Tails seemed like one of the least broken cards in the set. 5 mana for a unique and useful effect, but not particularly abusable. Good tech against Inner Conflict, though.

Showsni
10-10-2013, 05:57 AM
thats true the only card with reach that is even worth a cinsideration is he recluse and thats only cause hes a cheap deathtouch makes for a great early game chump blockerand the whole point to flying is that its difficult to defend aginst ive seen alot of people draft just flyers nd finish top three. if u wanna talk about borken strategies things like nine tail monkey, elixer of youth, immortality, and escaltion these concepts prove that this game is going to based arround obsurdly op cards. flyinbus the least of my worries for sure

Actually a lot of Reach cards are very solid picks in Magic limited - Giant Spider, Sentinel Spider, Penumbra Spider, Thornweald Archer, the aforementioned Deadly Recluse...

Zomnivore
10-10-2013, 06:02 AM
A lot of fliers have 1 health. So, its not like red doesn't have an answer.

Blood has a lot of removal.
White has a lot of fliers
Blue has a lot of fliers and bounce
Red's got all sorts of burn.

If fliers/evasion get you, I think your deck wasn't solid enough in the first place.

ossuary
10-10-2013, 06:08 AM
Also try to keep in mind that this is only set 1. While they have put as many cards in as they possibly can, they are trying to limit the number of keywords in the first set. I'm sure there will be more answers to flyers in future sets.

bangari
10-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Reach is only a mechanism to make up for the deficiencies of certain archtypes, if they didn't add it into hex, that just means those archtypes have other mechanism in place/methods of dealing with flyers.

Not to mention reach is not a common ability. Most of the time you just get 2 spiders from green with it, maybe one more elsewhere in white or red.