PDA

View Full Version : For those having issues: Actual Advice (also, some bonus advice for Crypto, etc.)

schild
10-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Guys, calm down. Everything will be fine. Lots of errors going around. Here's the deal, since they decided to stream every single file instead of blobbing it, a lot of folks are getting corruption issues. It happens.

To force an actual repair of all those files - since sometimes it will think everything is fine and dandy, go in and delete mono.dll from Hex\Hex_Data\Mono (bonus, this will also sort out your Error 193 issues)

Relaunch the app. Don't restart your computer. Don't tinker with your antivirus software. Just delete the file and relaunch Hex. EVENTUALLY, through all the connection resets (since every single backer seems to be downloading this right now), you will likely get a clean Play button - don't press it - press Repair Install. You KNOW a file is missing. Eventually it will repair all of those corrupt files - which is happening to tons, and tons of files (291 in my download to be precise).

Stok3d, I know you mean well and you're angling for a community manager position, but just stop giving support. You're being awful and useless to a bunch of people who paid a lot of money to be playing today.

Crypto - next time you build the patcher, put a login screen BEFORE the patch process begins so people who shouldn't be patching aren't slamming the server. Also, blob the initial install. Oh, and when a repair is happening, if the initial load says "OK GO" The play now button is still active even if its repairing a bunch of issues. If there's a failure to launch, on the next load the launcher should scan every file to avoid this, otherwise it thinks it's Go Time when it clearly isn't.

Stok3d
10-09-2013, 06:43 PM
I'm not angling for anything. I'm trying to help.
I have an A+, Net+, Server+, and a few MCPs. I do have some sort of a computer background...

Regardless... please keep your advice on topic and I as well as the community gladly welcomes sound advice. I don't have the game yet and do notice some ppl getting in while others aren't. We're battling through this together. I was throwing out ideas which was better than noone assisting at all. In time, we'll have a better idea on what are solutions.

Truhls
10-09-2013, 06:58 PM
This is great advice, i went from mono error to repairing 270ish files, to black and purple screen, to repairing 65ish files, to black screen, to repairing 25 files.

schild
10-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Stok3d, my advice is on topic. You're not a paid employee, but you're behaving as if you represent the company.

Full stop to that behavior.

With all that experience, you should know that your "ideas" were useless, crappy, and didn't actually solve anything.

Thrawn
10-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Great advice, repairing 275 files. Better than staring at a black screen at least.

Brofellos
10-09-2013, 07:49 PM
This schild guy is pretty dang helpful...maybe a future Community Manager??!! :confused:

Ginaz
10-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Stok3d, my advice is on topic. You're not a paid employee, but you're behaving as if you represent the company.

Full stop to that behavior.

With all that experience, you should know that your "ideas" were useless, crappy, and didn't actually solve anything.

"He's being Stok3d. Giving the sort of support you give to your grandma to get her off the phone for five minutes.":cool:

I should steal this quote of yours, too.

hamm101
10-09-2013, 07:51 PM
For those people bashing Stok3d and his advice right now: Turning things off and on again, reinstalling, etc. is basically the first step to figuring out and fixing problems. Yes, this is an alpha build, and things are going wrong with it, but it is still a computer program regardless.

Source: Finishing my IT Security degree this year, as well as multiple years of Helpdesk experience.

Truhls
10-09-2013, 07:56 PM
For those people bashing Stok3d and his advice right now: Turning things off and on again, reinstalling, etc. is basically the first step to figuring out and fixing problems. Yes, this is an alpha build, and things are going wrong with it, but it is still a computer program regardless.

Source: Finishing my IT Security degree this year, as well as multiple years of Helpdesk experience.

wow you had to go to school to learn that? I learned those steps just getting on the phone twice with comcast *laugh*

schild
10-09-2013, 07:58 PM

Those steps are basically crap and don't assist in FIGURING out the root of a problem and have about a chance of actually fixing things as two planes have a chance of colliding in mid-air.

Source: yer butt

Brofellos
10-09-2013, 08:01 PM
I for one am having a really great time looking at this slightly pixelated dragon on the download screen, so maybe just relax while the clever folks over at HQ sort things out? Not much of a computer 'whiz' like you all though........

Kami
10-09-2013, 08:02 PM
If your goal is to help, please don't use that as an excuse to bash people who are volunteering for better or for worse.

If you have an issue, you are fully capable of stating it in a civil manner. Consider this issue closed. You've made your point.