PDA

View Full Version : Who is moderating this forum?

Draegan
10-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Who is moderating this forum? I keep seeing threads get locked and deleted. Do you guys have any experi nice with forums or with the public?

What's with crypto getting the random Internet people moderating an alpha forum? Seriously this is an alpha test forum and people with ransom night classes and no direct contact with the devs are giving out tech support? What the hell did I kick start?

schild
10-09-2013, 09:17 PM
dat typo :high_five:

Kitsune
10-09-2013, 09:22 PM
You kickstarted a game from a company that has yet to see the wisdom of hiring a professional community relations team, short answer. Hopefully they'll be correcting that mistake sooner rather than later.

Kalius
10-09-2013, 09:31 PM
The thing I wonder is why some threads are getting locked, and yet others that need to be locked, are not.

Kitsune
10-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Because there are no professional moderators to be following a consistent set of rules. They grabbed a random pile of Hex nerds and gave them mod powers on the forum, no big shock that the result is a disorganized mess.

Rendakor
10-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Lots of threads are being deleted almost instantly too. Seems a bit over-aggressive, particularly for volunteer/fan mods and not actual employees.

ostrakon
10-09-2013, 10:19 PM
I've had a thread closed and my post reassigned to a relevant thread that already existed.

I think they're doing a pretty good job for amateurs, and the forum is probably the least important thing they need to worry about at the moment. Most official game forums are filled to the brim with entitled whiners with nothing better to do (like OP) and on the other end of the spectrum people who needlessly defend the devs.

The most constructive thing to do is just file bug reports at this point. It's an alpha, everything is going to suck.

Kalius
10-09-2013, 10:22 PM
The most constructive thing to do is just file bug reports at this point. It's an alpha, everything is going to suck.

Shoot, they need to quote this and stick it where everyone can see it.

Ingmar
10-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Community moderation is fine for stuff like server forums, RP forums, and that sort of thing. It's not going to be acceptable for any kind of serious feedback/testing situation like this alpha. Not a knock on the volunteers, but this is a lesson that we shouldn't have to learn all over again every time a new game comes out - it was obvious 12 years ago when Mark Jacobs decided to use VN Boards for his official DAOC forums and it is obvious now.

EmraldArcher
10-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Considering there isn't even a "report post" button I wouldn't be expecting too much in the way of moderation around here.

Jugan
10-09-2013, 11:59 PM
You kickstarted a game from a company that has yet to see the wisdom of hiring a professional community relations team, short answer. Hopefully they'll be correcting that mistake sooner rather than later.

or a logistics manager.

Mathaw
10-10-2013, 02:28 AM
Lots of threads are being deleted almost instantly too. Seems a bit over-aggressive, particularly for volunteer/fan mods and not actual employees.

Power complex. It's evident throughout the forums that there's a vocal minority that consider themselves guardians of the Hex - they also jump to Crypto's defence irrelevant of the gripe. If there's an actual customer/player forum anywhere, unofficial I'd like to know about it - somewhere we can grumble about the problems without being told to be grateful for any morsel. Weirdest game forum I've ever been involved with - feel more like I'm crashing on a family dinner.

Handsofevil
10-10-2013, 02:33 AM
I might be one of those "Guardians of the Hex" simply because this is Alpha of a company that has never produced a major (or any if I'm correct) video game before. The biggest thing they stressed is that there will be issues, and bitching and moaning (like a LOT of people are doing) isn't a good way to deal with the bugs they run into. So gripe all you want, but please don't have unreasonable expectations. If there were this many issues at full launch of a game from a seasoned company than by all means! Every complaint so far would be incredibly valid. But what we have is amazing considering where it's coming from.

Kalius
10-10-2013, 02:35 AM
Power complex. It's evident throughout the forums that there's a vocal minority that consider themselves guardians of the Hex - they also jump to Crypto's defence irrelevant of the gripe. If there's an actual customer/player forum anywhere, unofficial I'd like to know about it - somewhere we can grumble about the problems without being told to be grateful for any morsel. Weirdest game forum I've ever been involved with - feel more like I'm crashing on a family dinner.

Then you obviously haven't seen the FFXIV forums, where any legitimate complaint is met with either A: Fans calling you an idiot, B: SE blaming you/your computer/your bank, or C: You getting permabanned from the forums.

ChristianLove
10-10-2013, 02:49 AM
I might be one of those "Guardians of the Hex" simply because this is Alpha of a company that has never produced a major (or any if I'm correct) video game before. The biggest thing they stressed is that there will be issues, and bitching and moaning (like a LOT of people are doing) isn't a good way to deal with the bugs they run into. So gripe all you want, but please don't have unreasonable expectations. If there were this many issues at full launch of a game from a seasoned company than by all means! Every complaint so far would be incredibly valid. But what we have is amazing considering where it's coming from.

I have to agree with this.

This is their first run at making a video game. They are without a doubt going to make mistakes. I kickstarted this game because I liked the concept and I wanted to see it become a reality. I knew that the company had experience in TCGs but not video games. But I have faith in the fact that they want to put the effort in, and it's been proven they do. I have Never seen a company put out an alpha at this stage of development this fast. It's a truly amazing feat, especially considering they have no video game experience.

Just remember that we kickstarted this because we want to see this game made

Handsofevil
10-10-2013, 02:56 AM
^^ You do your name justice, thank you

ExInferis
10-10-2013, 03:05 AM
^^ You don't, thank you

Kathy
10-10-2013, 03:23 AM
This is their first run at making a video game. They are without a doubt going to make mistakes.

Then this would be their chance to learn that they need a professional staff to deal with customer relations, not appointing volunteers who may fit more into the "fanboy" category.

ChristianLove
10-10-2013, 03:33 AM
A professional forum staff would be nice. But as a matter of personal opinion, I would rather see that money spent on developing the game first. The "fanboys" as you call them are doing ok. They are not perfect, but this isn't nearly as bad as some I have seen.

Morgaln
10-10-2013, 04:17 AM
I have to agree with this.

This is their first run at making a video game. They are without a doubt going to make mistakes. I kickstarted this game because I liked the concept and I wanted to see it become a reality. I knew that the company had experience in TCGs but not video games. But I have faith in the fact that they want to put the effort in, and it's been proven they do. I have Never seen a company put out an alpha at this stage of development this fast. It's a truly amazing feat, especially considering they have no video game experience.

Just remember that we kickstarted this because we want to see this game made

There is a point where ''this is Alpha'' stops being an excuse. I would be the first to say Alpha will be full of in-game bugs and server issues, but there are a couple of very serious things I don't think can be so easily forgiven:

a) They're using Gameforge servers (check your C:\Program Files (x86)\Hex\config file). Outsourcing your servers is usually asking for trouble; everyone can see the issues this creates when people need 10 hours to download a 1.31GB game.

b) They did not bundle up the data, downloading files one by one is a breeding ground for corrupted files. This is why people require multiple repairs to get the game working.

I'm pretty sure they anticipated these issues to an extent, since they put a big ''Repair Install'' button in the patcher and you need a link from the email to download the game. This is not an excuse either though, it's just bad handling of the situation. I sincerely hope they realize their mistakes. I do agree worrying about forum moderation isn't a top priority right now.

Truhls
10-10-2013, 04:23 AM
Hmmmm magically reappeared....

Nytefury
10-10-2013, 04:42 AM
There is a point where ''this is Alpha'' stops being an excuse. I would be the first to say Alpha will be full of in-game bugs and server issues, but there are a couple of very serious things I don't think can be so easily forgiven:

a) They're using Gameforge servers (check your C:\Program Files (x86)\Hex\config file). Outsourcing your servers is usually asking for trouble; everyone can see the issues this creates when people need 10 hours to download a 1.31GB game.

b) They did not bundle up the data, downloading files one by one is a breeding ground for corrupted files. This is why people require multiple repairs to get the game working.

I'm pretty sure they anticipated these issues to an extent, since they put a big ''Repair Install'' button in the patcher and you need a link from the email to download the game. This is not an excuse either though, it's just bad handling of the situation. I sincerely hope they realize their mistakes. I do agree worrying about forum moderation isn't a top priority right now.

So the question is, would you rather wait another month for those things to have been put in place, or being able to play now and having to put up with some inconvenience. Either get in earlier and play something in early alpha, or wait for a more complete alpha, its not rocket science. I am also sorry but "it's alpha" is an excuse, it's somewhat sad to hear people say that about beta, but now we are saying being in alpha is no excuse? Everything has been stitched together ad hoc from the file download to the log off screen, its alpha and a great deal is going to change in how things are implemented, it's clear they tried to rush this out to try and please their fans (even though not all are grateful for it).

Niedar
10-10-2013, 04:47 AM
If I had the files I could have the situation solved in a matter of one hour by packaging up the entire client and throwing it on a CDN. But yeah I mean that is such a hard thing to do. The point is their patcher sucks right now so why are they still trying to use it?

Nytefury
10-10-2013, 04:58 AM
If I had the files I could have the situation solved in a matter of one hour by packaging up the entire client and throwing it on a CDN. But yeah I mean that is such a hard thing to do. The point is their patcher sucks right now so why are they still trying to use it?

And once that is solved it would be another issue that "it's alpha" isn't an excuse. The real issue is attitudes and expectations, not problem A or problem B. For me I will let the guys at Crypto sort it out in their time, I am in no dire rush because I have other things in life to occupy me. I am thankful there is something up at all.

Thrawn
10-10-2013, 05:44 AM
Who is moderating this forum? I keep seeing threads get locked and deleted. Do you guys have any experi nice with forums or with the public?

What's with crypto getting the random Internet people moderating an alpha forum? Seriously this is an alpha test forum and people with ransom night classes and no direct contact with the devs are giving out tech support? What the hell did I kick start?

Sorry, full forum moderation isn't ready yet. This is an Alpha after all. Don't have such unrealistic expectations. Have you tried turning it off an on again?

Kietay
10-10-2013, 05:47 AM

It has become obvious they likely have never known exactly what they were doing in regards to anything they have ever done.

mudkip
10-10-2013, 05:57 AM
So the question is, would you rather wait another month for those things to have been put in place, or being able to play now and having to put up with some inconvenience.

I would rather have waited. Game bugs I expect, these obvious logistical errors are not acceptable.

Malakili
10-10-2013, 06:07 AM
Seriously this is an alpha test forum and people with ransom night classes and no direct contact with the devs are giving out tech support?

This is really the issue at hand. I understand the mods we have are trying their best, but they simply aren't trained or equipped to deal with something like this.

Nytefury
10-10-2013, 06:12 AM
I would rather have waited. Game bugs I expect, these obvious logistical errors are not acceptable.

I appreciate your honesty. Sadly I am sure the majority would not agree with you, and would also be the first to complain if they had to wait.

The good news is if you do feel that waiting is preferable, you can take a voluntary break from the game for a month until things are in better shape. No one is forcing you to play now.

phyzycs
10-10-2013, 06:28 AM
If you create threads like this, they will be deleted - plain and simple. The alpha forum is intended for users to create constructive feedback based on bugs and issues they're experiencing with the client. This isn't abnormal.

So before they delete this one, make a note of that.

Mathaw
10-10-2013, 06:48 AM

It's an alpha - I don't care about bugs - they're par of the course. I care about the flawed invite strategy, lack of platform support and lack of comms from Crypto. Not all easily solvable, but all could have been avoided with proper communication. Let's not get confused about what's being griped about :)

A professional forum staff would be nice. But as a matter of personal opinion, I would rather see that money spent on developing the game first. The "fanboys" as you call them are doing ok. They are not perfect, but this isn't nearly as bad as some I have seen.

Well they have 700% of their goal (plus SB's), so I'm sure they can afford both :)

I have to say I think the perspective of 'this is their first try, it;s only an alpha, they've never made a game before" etc. is a little naive - at least I hope so. If they didn't higher consultants or experts to aid in the process then it just means they're to blame for a different reason :p We're not talking about a room of basement coders having a bash at making a game here…

Anyways, the game itself is looking awesome, I'm not worried there - it's the project and community management that's the issue so far.

Thrawn
10-10-2013, 07:30 AM
...it's the project and community management that's the issue so far.

Which is what the original post is about and the discussion started as. Most of the people white knighting the alpha seem to be missing that point.

Velorath
10-10-2013, 09:00 AM

Towards the end of the Kickstarter they got to the point where they couldn't even throw more money at the game and started putting up stuff like a Hex novel, Codex Cryptozoia, and HexCon as stretch goals. I realize that "hire people to manage the forums so we don't need to pick people at random from the community to do it for us" isn't as tantalizing a stretch goal as some weekly lore, a book that many of us aren't going to buy, or a Con a sizable portion of us won't be able to attend, but in retrospect it would have been appreciated.

And once that is solved it would be another issue that "it's alpha" isn't an excuse. The real issue is attitudes and expectations, not problem A or problem B. For me I will let the guys at Crypto sort it out in their time, I am in no dire rush because I have other things in life to occupy me. I am thankful there is something up at all.

"It's alpha" is an excuse for why the game will likely crash a lot and why there's a ton of stuff not implemented, and I'm sure you'll hear relatively few complaints about any of that stuff. It's not really an excuse for being unable to distribute 1GB of files to 1000 (or even 20,000) people in an age where we can download entire seasons of TV shows in HD in a shorter amount of time than it took most of us to download (and re-download) this game.

keroko
10-10-2013, 09:06 PM
It's typical to come to a new place and savage the residents. Though also typically unfortunate.
Get it out of your systems, our mods have seen it all before.

Our moderators put up with a lot, and are on these boards constantly working for free to give you, the gamer, a place to be, Bitch, moan and have fun.

... And if you wanna see a white Knight fight, come at me brothers!