PDA

View Full Version : How I Successfully Downloaded the Alpha Files

Gremio
10-09-2013, 11:36 PM
So after many failed attempts at downloading the large asset files through the client I decided to pull up WireShark to see exactly what was going on.

I found that the files are just being pulled over HTTP from gameforge.com (which I think other people may have pointed out).

Trying to download the sharedassets1.assets file (the one I was still stuck on at this point) was still failing or crashing midway similarly to the hex file downloader. So I found a download manager and it was able to grab the files. Logged in with great success, everything is working :D.

I used the portable version of "wxDownload Fast" found here (download at your own risk, but the software appeared to be fine to me):
http://dfast.sourceforge.net/download.html

The link to the asset file I needed was here:
http://origin.dl.hex.gameforge.com/Hex_Data/sharedassets1.assets

You can find the other files at similarly constructed links. Just add those to wxDownload.

Good luck all!

Genocidal
10-09-2013, 11:47 PM
The good intentions are appreciated, but publicly posting info so everyone can hammer the already strained servers is exactly what isn't needed right now (11 hours and counting...).

Gremio
10-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Actually, I honestly think it's more of a code/software issue on gameforge.com than a bandwidth issue. I downloaded it just fine, but who knows.

Edit: Also, a gigantic portion of the load hitting the servers is re-download attempts. I know I downloaded *way* more than the total size of the client just trying to get the large asset files through the HexPatch.exe. So, get more people downloading the files successfully, get more load off the servers.

okcthunder2010
02-22-2014, 07:59 PM
could you give more detailed instruction on how to do this? im stuck at 0% sharedassets1.assets
I downloaded the file from the link you posted but what do i do with it now?

Nevermind...just had to have a little patience!

Kami
02-22-2014, 10:10 PM
could you give more detailed instruction on how to do this? im stuck at 0% sharedassets1.assets
I downloaded the file from the link you posted but what do i do with it now?

Nevermind...just had to have a little patience!

Please don't necro very old threads.