PDA

View Full Version : Proposal: card view on deck building

wutae
10-10-2013, 08:23 AM
After the initial Streams on twitch popped up, i noticed something on deck building interface,

It's not easy for the user/player to read the character text in the thumbnail "view" and most of the players either:

1. Switch to catalogue style
2. Zoom in on every card individually to check the card itself,

So i thought that i should suggest to cryptozoic having a 3rd option, which will have a bigger version of the cards, alike to the pdf format.

I would suggest to add an option to hold "ctrl" and mouse wheel up and down like on any Microsoft program and having cards dynamically adjust themselves, but because this feature will be impossible to do on a tablet, i suppose a different solution must be made.

As well as the space available for the cards picked, which is equal to the cards available is too big, you can reduce the table size of the cards picked to increase the table size of the card pool.

I will shamelessly admit that the deck building in magic 2014 right now is a lot better. Although the filter tool in hex is awesome

Personally when i get my alpha access will use the pdf spoiler cryptozoic published, to pick my deck, and then go inside the game and search for each card i want to add to my deck.

wutae
10-10-2013, 09:11 AM
As well as a proposal on the global chat window to get some IRC features, like to be able to toggle people in channel/timestamps, and to be able to send private messages to them, the use of "tabs" on chat window would be awesome.

Right now it's a chaotic to find lost messages, but i suppose that chat is a WIP. I will still post this though, as you never know, sometimes you check all the minor details, but you lose the big picture in front of you.

maniza
10-10-2013, 09:11 AM
after a few days you no longer need to read the text in cards anyway

wutae
10-10-2013, 09:13 AM
after a few days you no longer need to read the text in cards anyway

Maybe you yes,i will for sure, but then this game wont be newb friendly, dont forget that now you have only 1st set, easy to learn all cards, but what about the player that will start playing after 6 months? what about the frustation of the player who is new to this game, doesnt even know how to play the game?

Dont forget why blizzard is the gold duck, all her games are extremely casual and newb friendly.

Cornholio666
10-10-2013, 10:37 AM
I agree I was going to suggest something as well. You should be able to set zoom in the deck builder to view say a single row of cards at once, that should yield about the right zoom, about 2 inches high, the size of the quick reply box here in the forums. (the whole area of the quick reply box, not just the writing area)

SomeoneRandom
10-10-2013, 10:38 AM
This won't be too bad for new players because theoretically you won't have a big collection to start with. You will start with 60 or so cards, and slowly add new ones that you learn along the way. I think they could do another view or allow zooming, but I don't think its that big of a problem currently

wutae
10-10-2013, 01:02 PM
We are talking about deck building, you cant do deck building with 60 cards, most propably even a newbie, will need to purchase multiple boosters to have some basis for deck building. And because even as a bad player you would like to have multiple instances of the same card, that means a lot of boosters.

None of the arguments above gives a reason to not improve the deck building feature of the game.

Deciphered
10-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Man, I hate it when someone makes a good suggestion, and then someone else comes in to explain why that suggestion won't help them, personally, so therefore it is not a good suggestion.

Not everyone is going to play this game so much that they will memorize every card in the game. A better deck building UI won't hurt you, hardcore guys.

wutae
10-10-2013, 01:56 PM
ty Deciphered, and i wanted to add, that there is no reason to have the hardcore hex fans to jump in and defend, as i am a hardcore hex fan myself.

I just want the game to be improved, and suggestions upon my suggestion for the improvement of the current GUI would be perfect.

ramseytheory
10-10-2013, 03:05 PM
This would be a very good idea. Ideally you'd replace the list/picture view switch with a discrete zoom slider like the one found at the top right of this site (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards).

wutae
10-10-2013, 03:16 PM
very good example ramseytheory of what i am talking, although the more i think about it, the more i like the magic 2014 way. But nevertheless your example is what i was initially talking about.

wutae
10-11-2013, 05:45 AM
It would be highly appreciated if more people give their opinion on this matter. and if you like/dislike my idea.

SomeoneRandom
10-11-2013, 05:54 AM
We are talking about deck building, you cant do deck building with 60 cards, most propably even a newbie, will need to purchase multiple boosters to have some basis for deck building. And because even as a bad player you would like to have multiple instances of the same card, that means a lot of boosters.

None of the arguments above gives a reason to not improve the deck building feature of the game.

Coming from playing other digital TCGs where you start with a starter and then play against computers or people to earn cards (like PvE). Every time you get something new you tend to look at how it might affect your decks, hence why I was saying that people would learn cards over time. Obviously if someone logs into the game and buys 100 boosters and shreds them without playing at all they will have cards they don't know, but isn't that what catalog mode is for?

It would be highly appreciated if more people give their opinion on this matter. and if you like/dislike my idea.

But when they give their opinion they get yelled at =[

I see no issue with the zoom and am all for adding more features, but I also think once the filtering and scrolling is more responsive scrolling through the catalog won't be as important or required. Currently I can scroll through an entire shard before I setup my filters to look at U/R/Colorless non-creatures.

wutae
10-11-2013, 06:31 AM
It's not about getting yelled, and obviously that wasnt my intention, i dont have the right to yell over other people.

Having said that, if you say sthing just to say sthing, that is almost never appreciated, if you give a reasoning that helps people understand why you are saying sthing, then you may actually get a conversation.

Right now the game seems to lack polish and some , ( trying to find the correct word ) Appeal ? I mean let's compare,

Magic 2014, hearthstone, Hex, and how the cards you hold in your hand appear, obviously the most convenient is hex one, but the one with the most appeal most propably is hearthstone.

Or about deck building. Check Hearthstone-magic2014 and hex again. right now Hex seems to be the worst.

What i am trying to say is, that sometimes game developers, must step back check what their competition has done. and try to steal and improvise their ideas.

That's how WoW became the golden child after all.

I am not saying that Hex, system doesnt work. But let's admit it.

Same thing occured to magic online. They dont improve their systems at all, and now even if the game is solid, the appeal level is below 0