PDA

View Full Version : Separation from MtG

Sidewinder
10-10-2013, 03:37 PM
I love the fact that Hex is so similar to Magic. It makes it easy to get into, yet Cryptozoic can tweak how the game plays as they see fit. One of the things I hope they change is how each of the shards so closely follows a color in magic.
-Diamond has lifegain, prevention, pacify effects, weenie troops
-Sapphire has flyers, counters, likes artifacts, bounce
-Blood drains life, sacrifices its stuff for value, efficiently kills troops
-Ruby has fast troops, burn, swiftstrike
-Wild has acceleration, pump, big troops

Now, I don't necessarily mind these similarities. In fact, often I like them! But I think Cryptozoic is missing an opportunity if they don't mix and match some of the abilities around the "color pie." Shard cake? Why not give Ruby some prevention effects? Wild some life drain. Anything else that might fit the flavor. I mean, I'm going to play this game even if it's just MtG with a new skin, but it'd be great if they broke from that mold some.

Ju66ernaut
10-10-2013, 03:43 PM
I like your perspective Sidewinder, but I'm afraid that redistributing characteristics they may spoil the game play. World of Warcraft did it when they started giving classes abilities that mimicked other classes. That was the beginning of the end of my WoW days.

Mr.Funsocks
10-10-2013, 04:47 PM
With two sets fully designed, I think it's a little late for changing what the core effects of each shard are. And just throwing in duplicates is bad for balance.

That said... what else would you do? In every fantasy universe, from WoW to MtG, where there's a division of colored magic, white is healing, black is death/necromancy, red is fire/explosions, green is nature/beasts, and blue is trickery. It's not copying MtG, it's just... that's what the colors mean to use in fantasy worlds.

Xtopher
10-10-2013, 05:07 PM
It's not like Magic is a slave to the color pie. They've got cards that allow you to draw, fly, do direct damage, destroy, in every color. I can't think of any ability offhand that is always restricted to only one or two colors. There have even been mono red cards with life gain (only a couple I can think of, though -- a few others that require an additional color of mana).

Madican
10-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Eh, that's not a very good argument Funsocks, because just off the top of my head

Red can be blood
Blue can be water, healing, energy, ice
Green tends to be nature so that's one "rule" that fits
Black can be shadow or darkness which falls into the "illusion" category
White is healing, light, or buffs. Occasionally also void or holy.

Masquerade
10-10-2013, 07:24 PM
They are divided into colors for a reason. >_<

If every color had the same effects, there'd be no reason to have colors. I understand resource complaints, but there's really no need for this. Wait until we get multicolored cards...

Sidewinder
10-10-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm not saying every shard should have every ability. What I'm saying is they shouldn't be slaves to the Magic color pie. Shards don't have to have a specific ability just because the analogous Magic color does.

Madican
10-10-2013, 07:32 PM
There can be hybrid colors, and honestly I'd love to see some in Hex soon, especially if it involved "fusing" two shards together.

Xtopher
10-10-2013, 07:33 PM
Give it time, Sidewinder. This is just set 1. A lot will change over the evolution of the game and the story behind it. Who knows? Maybe the Shin'har will steal secrets from the Humans at some point and temporarily have access to more diamond effects. Anything can happen.

Sidewinder
10-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Oh, I am. I'm happy with the game. Well, what little I've seen so far. I just mean that I think it would be beneficial to keep this idea in mind going forward. Aping MtG is great up to a point. But there's so much more you can do. Cryptozoic spent time and effort on Hex's lore. Use it!

Deathfog
10-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Best thing they can do to go in a different direction is to implement Yellow, or I guess Topaz in Hex terms, as WotC originally intended for Arabian Night way back before MtG hit it big.

Xtopher
10-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Kinda off topic, but I had this idea for Magic about a decade ago that it would be cool if there was some sort of schism within blue and it split up into two camps, air and water, with the mages staying neutral, thereby temporarily adding a 6th color for one set. The other colors would back up either the air faction or the water faction (green would stay neutral, since it needs both air and water).

Trebbinz
10-10-2013, 08:41 PM
at least we get to have Evil Bunnies

Berkhtar
10-11-2013, 02:04 AM
Most people interested in HEX know MTG quite well. I do not think that we want something different, we want a better MTGO and not a redesigned one :)

Only think bothering me is the quality of the card-images. They look much worse than the Magic ones. Hope they will get some better artists in the future. Looks to me like MTG in the 1st to 3rd edition^^

Xenavire
10-11-2013, 03:58 AM
Most people interested in HEX know MTG quite well. I do not think that we want something different, we want a better MTGO and not a redesigned one :)

Only think bothering me is the quality of the card-images. They look much worse than the Magic ones. Hope they will get some better artists in the future. Looks to me like MTG in the 1st to 3rd edition^^

In comparison to modern Magic cards, yes some hex cards look a little dated. But I know the early mtg editions had a lot of junk art. Hex is much higher quality overall.

That said, I am interested in how the art develops over time.

keroko
10-11-2013, 04:18 AM
The spells of entrath have only just started being recorded.

Set one keeps it mono colored, but you can already see out of typical scope cards (like the blood 3/1 flyer that seems crap until you consider it's a blood card, not a diamond / sapphire / reddish)

Maybe the Shin'har will steal secrets from the Humans at some point and temporarily have access to more diamond effects.

This is happening, don't like coyotes, except as handbags.

HyenaNipples
10-11-2013, 04:48 AM
Blood has Vampire King, Uruunaz, and Malice Demon. That gives the color some serious threat in the air.

Also Giant Corpse Fly, but that's more a threat to your hand.