PDA

View Full Version : Determining who goes first...

funktion
10-11-2013, 01:41 AM
Is it just me or is there a correlation between who goes first tied to who's been logged in the longest?

This isn't really a bug, more so an observation. Last night I went last the first 10-12 or so games I played and then I started going first for the rest of the games later that night.

Bad sample size? Sheer coincidence? Or have you guys also been seeing something unusual here?

Kardh
10-11-2013, 03:47 AM
I haven't really been thinking of it that way, but it at least fits better than that it would be decided by the coin toss.

I doubt it matters much for solving the issue, but interesting idea anyway :)

duffath
10-11-2013, 04:15 AM
I haven't really been thinking of it that way, but it at least fits better than that it would be decided by the coin toss.

I doubt it matters much for solving the issue, but interesting idea anyway :)

Me and a friend played a few "games" (they all mostly crashed) but it didn't seem like a 50/50

SomeoneRandom
10-11-2013, 05:44 AM
I still have yet to go first, I have played over 30 games now. I am guessing they are using some weird mechanic to decide who wins. Or perhaps I am missing a file that gives me the winning animation which makes it always lose? No clue, I reported it as a bug at this point though since the likelihood it is just a random streak is super low at this point.

Phisbut
10-11-2013, 08:42 AM
When I play against the AI, it seems the AI always goes first. Doesn't really matter yet since the AI is pretty bad and I only use it to test my draws, but it's still an issue that will need to be worked on.

houjix
10-11-2013, 08:49 AM
I think I have actually gone first against the AI. One game I know I ended up passing through my 1st turn as I usually just jam the space bar to get through the AI's first turn and noticed at the End phase it had been my turn.

JakeFreedom
10-11-2013, 09:23 AM
There is a bug report by Colin, that reported the AI will always go first no matter what.
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=28068

Veetor
10-11-2013, 10:47 AM
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/random

You'd want it to eventually tend towards 50/50, but there's nothing saying you can't go first 150k times in a row.

SomeoneRandom
10-11-2013, 12:15 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_razor

Sure it is possible that I have actually lost 30+ coin flips in a row, but the most obvious solution is usually the right one. Most likely it is a bug. However, I am still watching and checking every time on the off chance that I am just sure unlucky.

houjix
10-11-2013, 02:54 PM
I just started up a game against the AI and can confirm that I won the toss and got to play first.

Milamber
10-12-2013, 04:01 AM
20 + games only gone first twice

Syeblaze
10-12-2013, 10:38 AM
All these poor chances of coin flips makes me wonder who is running around winning 90 percent of their coin flips...

Just to be clear, ai coin flips are definitely bugged. I'm on phone, or I'd link the report.

SomeoneRandom
10-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Well I kept count and it took 38 games before I won the first coin flip and went first. It is possible it was just a big streak of lost flips, but I am guessing something got fixed on their end. =]

blakegrandon
10-13-2013, 08:38 AM
I have only gotten to go first like twice out of 40+ games lol.

That said I'm disappointed by the lack of realism in this game, the coin has yet to roll off the table or land on it's edge, at which point the players should argue whether to reflip or have the option of clicking a button to try to "blow" the coin in a direction of their choice.

Get your act together Cryptozoic! :-p

Showsni
10-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Frankly, I've still got no idea what the correlation is between winning the flip and going first. I don't even know which side up I want it to land when it flips for me to go first or second! And then a lot of the time it comes up "Monika'shin" (say I'm using my wild deck) and then the opponent goes first anyway. And sometimes I'm using the same champion as the opponent, and it still just says "Monika'shin." Well, which one? It's very unclear how the coin flip affects everything, so I've basically been ignoring it. It's not as if whoever wins the flip gets the choice to play or not anyway.

SomeoneRandom
10-13-2013, 02:39 PM
It currently looks like during coin flip that your opponent's keep name isn't showing. So at least the times I won it said "_____ of SomeoneRandom" and if they win it just displays their champ name. So that would be one way to know currently =] Should be cleared up eventually though.

Avignon
10-13-2013, 02:40 PM
I watched John Tatta's stream for a few hours yesterday. After 4 hours I still don't think he had gone first...

The coding or RNG certainly needs to be checked out.

jtatta
10-13-2013, 05:34 PM
I've streamed well over 50 games now over the weekend and I can count the number of times that I went first on one hand. It's 100% not random but I'm not sure what the problem is.

Kradish
10-13-2013, 05:39 PM
It's slightly strange because I end up going first all the time when playing vs my brother and more than 60% against AI

SomeoneRandom
10-13-2013, 08:19 PM
jhatta, is that your username in game? I had a theory that I was going first only against people with bigger usernames than mine. Which, because mine is SomeoneRandom, is quite rare. =]

It is possible too that they are determining it based on like timestamp of account creation or something, but I feel like there has to be some sort of deterministic way they are figuring this out on a person to person basis because I have yet to go first against 2 of my friends I have been playtesting with.

Skirovik
10-13-2013, 10:40 PM
I have gone first once (and accidentally blitzed through it) in over 25 games. Might it have something to do with whoever does the challenging?

Pretty sure I've only accepted one challenge as I'm always quite quick to send them out.

SomeoneRandom
10-14-2013, 05:10 AM
I don't think it has to do with who is challenging, me and my playtest partners swap up who challenges and as I said I have never gone first against either of them.

Showsni
10-14-2013, 05:21 PM
Maybe it's alphabetical? I guess we should all start keeping track of when we go first/second and who we're playing.

Vibraxus
10-14-2013, 07:37 PM
I have yet to go first out of about 20-30 games.