PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Reversed Pass priority

wutae
10-11-2013, 05:38 AM
It came to me today, why you use a pass priority system, and not a reversed one?

What i mean by that.

E.G at the bottom of your screen you can have lined up some buttons, each button has a seperate name e.g:

Phase1
Phase2
Phase3
Phase4
Phase5
Phase6
Phase7
Phase8

etc, as many phases as this game has. and each button will have the appropriate phase name.

Above each button will be a timer presented through a moving bar, let's say 3 seconds by default. as soon as u do nothing. the timer passes and moves to the next button, and obviously you move to next phase, but if you play a card, or press "spacebar" the time freezes, and you can use all the time u want.

Furthermore, you can click on each button seperately and arrange the timers of each phase, 0 secs - 30 seconds.
Now 30 seconds will not be the maximum of each phase as you can actually freeze the time as well. And use more time.

Feel free to add more to my idea, and judge if you like it or not, this will reduce by a lot the pass priority and next buttons by alot. Obviously pass priority will still appear whenever your opponent or yourself plays a card.

SomeoneRandom
10-11-2013, 05:48 AM
I think this might just be too long to setup and worry about in matches. When you are actually playing in a best of 3 and both players are running slow decks there is a good chance someone will time out. That 0-3 seconds you have your phase set to could cost you a game waiting for priority to tick over and if you were to edit it manually to 0 seconds during a match that would cost you some time too.

I think this is sort of addressed with the current timers, but I am not actually sure how you stop the timer if you want time to think.

wutae
10-11-2013, 06:26 AM
I think this might just be too long to setup and worry about in matches. When you are actually playing in a best of 3 and both players are running slow decks there is a good chance someone will time out. That 0-3 seconds you have your phase set to could cost you a game waiting for priority to tick over and if you were to edit it manually to 0 seconds during a match that would cost you some time too.

I think this is sort of addressed with the current timers, but I am not actually sure how you stop the timer if you want time to think.

you can always press "spacebar" take your time to fix the timers, and then continue

SomeoneRandom
10-11-2013, 07:17 AM
you can always press "spacebar" take your time to fix the timers, and then continue

Yes, but they would have to continue ticking down your clock during that configuration time which was what I meant about the cost associated with reconfiguring them. You are reconfiguring them because you are short on time, but it makes you shorter on time due to having to reconfigure them :P

EmraldArcher
10-11-2013, 07:29 AM
I feel like this is an overly complicated solution to a problem that will be largely resolved once they add a yield priority for turn button.

Assuming people make smart use of stops of course.

HyenaNipples
10-11-2013, 07:33 AM
This is how Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014 operates. It works rather well.

I'd be worried if latency might cause priorities to be missed, though.

Jugan
10-11-2013, 07:41 AM
No competitive player would ever handicap themselves in a tournament by limiting the time they have to pass priority. Hitting a button to cancel the limiting feature is a nuisance and would just rather disable the feature altogether.