PDA

View Full Version : Rule Question: Exhausting Troops after they are declared attackers

nicosharp
10-11-2013, 10:33 AM
I played a game earlier where I tried to exhaust a troop after it had been declared an attacker.

I thought this would negate the attack phase for the troop.

Is the intention to make the opponent choose pre-combat who they want to exhaust?

I can't remember if it was WOW TCG, or MTG that allowed you to exhaust after the attackers were identified to negate the attack (think it was WOW TCG, which may explain why this mechanic does not work in Hex)

(Also, could we get a rules questions sub-forum? Although I know there is no rules book or judges yet for the game, would be nice to hash-out and track this stuff in one place)

EmraldArcher
10-11-2013, 10:35 AM
In Magic there is no opportunity to tap potential attackers once you have entered the declare attackers step.

It has to be done prior, usually in the pre-combat step.

nicosharp
10-11-2013, 10:39 AM
In Magic there is no opportunity to tap potential attackers once you have entered the declare attackers step.

It has to be done prior, usually in the pre-combat step.
That makes sense - I think this was an early mechanic in WOWTCG that they may have changed later in the game through rules updates. Just wanted to be sure.

clorox
10-11-2013, 10:50 AM
I was also able to tap a declared blocker before it blocked to power up Constuction Plans: War Hulk and the blocker was still valid, even though tapped. Is that right, or maybe needs its own thread...

EmraldArcher
10-11-2013, 10:51 AM
I was also able to tap a declared blocker before it blocked to power up Constuction Plans: War Hulk and the blocker was still valid, even though tapped. Is that right, or maybe needs its own thread...

No that's working as intended.

houjix
10-11-2013, 11:05 AM
That makes sense - I think this was an early mechanic in WOWTCG that they may have changed later in the game through rules updates. Just wanted to be sure.

In WoW, since each combat is done separately, you have to propose who is attacking what. That proposal goes on the chain and can be responded to. If you can exhaust the proposed attacker prior to the proposal resolving, it would fail as the proposed attacker is no longer legal according to the rules.

Eierdotter
10-11-2013, 11:56 AM
I do not get the problem?

Do you ask if it is possible to declare a troop to attack, then in responce to the attack declaring you exhaust it for a ability? If so that does not work, the troops is not attacking and using a "exhaust" ability at the same time.
But
If your troop has steadfast, you dclare it as an attacker, then after declaring attackers and before the damage is dealt you have a priority window, where you could exhaust the troop to use a ability. (sort of the same goes for blocking)

1. Mainphase
-----
Priority Window
-----
Declare Attackers
-----
Declare Blockers
-----
Priority Window
-----
Damage Resolves
-----
Priority Window
-----
2. Mainphase

you can only use abilitys and quick actions in a priority window (but i am not shure if there is a priority window between declaring attackers and declaring blockers).

nicosharp
10-11-2013, 12:18 PM
you can only use abilitys and quick actions in a priority window (but i am not shure if there is a priority window between declaring attackers and declaring blockers).
There is, but using exhaust at this priority window point is useless because they are already exhausted. This priority window is good for things like Murder.

The second post answered my first post. And the post above yours verified my recollection of the WOW TCG attack phase differences.