PDA

View Full Version : Ok, here is my opinion after a few games

Yamusha
10-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Hi all,

I apologise in advance for my English.

Sorry I could not post before, but I didnt have time until now.

I decided to write this post for all the people who still has no invite and has not yet been able to try the game.

This is only my opinion about MY EXPERIENCE with the game these last days. So other people may have other computer configurations and internet speeds, an so on... and this could be different in their cases.

Ok, I can say that the first day was a nightmare to download the game. It took almost the whole day and I could not play until Thursday night.

Finally I was able to begin my first game but I could not finish it. Neither the following 5 o 6 games. The game crashed almost all the time and there were a lot of mistakes with some of the cards. However, I have experienced a big change during this weekend, and I now can finish almost 70% of the games without crashings.

Anyway, this is the alpha, and everybody can understand that there are a lot of bugs to fix. I DO NOT COMPLAIN about that :D

Ok, now speaking about the game.

THE GAME IS AWESOME!! And this is only a taste of what we will be able to see. What can I say?

* The graphics are nice and the cards look awesome. I like the effects and the music (which is epic) and I assume they will add more effects and other music in the future.
* I played Magic some years ago and the game is very easy if you know some about TCGs. It took me only few minutes to understand the mechanics.
* The User Interface is very clear and intuitive. It's not difficult to learn how to play. I like the way they have used to manage the different powers of the cards (like exhaust cards, put counters on the cards, give powers to the troops, etc)
* The game has something special that makes you finish one game and hit the continue button to play another game.
* I only have played with the pre-generated decks. I didnt have time to build my own deck and the deck builder seems to be still very buggy (at least it crashed everytime I tried to use it). Still the pre-generated decks are enough to give you a taste of the game and are fun enough to try some of the different and infinite combos available.
* The charge powers of the champions dont work. But today I could use one of them one time (maybe they are begining to fix it).
* I only played against the IA. I did not play with other players as everytime I tried I was not able to find anybody to play. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or the system has bugs (and I have few little time to play so I go for the fast option and play with the AI).

So, in conclusion. What I can say about the few things I've seen is that the game is... FUN!!! and I liked it. I only could try some of the pre-generated decks but I cant wait to play with other cards and try other combinations, and also play against other players and PvE mode... and of course access to my KS rewards!! :D

From here I'd like to congratulate Crypto for the good work and the consideration with the fans and thak them for giving us the possibility to try the game in alpha. I hope they can finish soon and make this a great game.

Those of you who still have not been able to play, please be patient. I can assure you that Crypto is working hard and they are improving the game step by step. I noted it during these days, and I'm sure during the next few days the game will improve even more. But this is a slow and hard work. So please, dont be dissapointed and keep your faith ;)

Regards to all.

Vorpal
10-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the report! It will be fun to watch the game inch closer to release :)

Facilier
10-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Thanks for sharing the news from the front. Great way to feed people's curiosity. Maybe more of the insiders will jump in with their experiences.

Selali
10-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Its posts like this that are both informative and constructive without also being overly negative. I have seen posts about all the bad things that are going wrong and while this had a little, its also giving praise where its due. We need more posts like this from people who have had time to get into the game and really play it. Thanks for you awesome feedback!

Thaumasios
10-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Oh thank you man!I really appreciated your report!!!;)

Ennarian
10-12-2013, 05:39 PM
These are the kinds of threads we should see during testing. Thanks for your views on it. It's a good thing you're one of the first to get in rather than some of the people who still don't realize that it's alpha.

havocattack
10-12-2013, 07:24 PM
For an Alpha, the game is absolutely amazing :D
When they get a handle on the bugs that are causing the games to freeze up, it is going to be sooo good (I can deal with cards not working as intended and stuff)

:)

Ghii_Zhar
10-12-2013, 08:06 PM
@Yamusha: no need to apologize for your English, it's as good as most native speakers in many of the forums I frequent.

I fully agree with your statement that this game is AWESOME.

I was almost completely ignorant of the game mechanics when I played the first few games, but the game was so intuitive that I was comfortable with the basics after a handful of games (and one post in the Newbie forum asking about "Sacrifice a Troop").

For me, the servers seemed to work quite well last night (Thu), but I only played AI opponents. None of my games crashed, but one did have a problem with the priority button disappearing.

Gremio
10-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Wait wait wait. This is what we need during testing? People kissing Cryptozoic's posterior? I could go on forever bashing the game and it's development into the ground. While they have gotten a few conceptual things right, they're coding department needs some serious work--and let's face it, that's kind of important. I mean, if you can't see all the things wrong with this OP, there's no point in me shredding it; as you'll just come back with happy princesses and unicorns charging at his defense (with no good reason).

I still have high hopes for this game, but it's going to take some serious work and rework (which is the worst). I haven't bothered dwelling on the negative and just attacking Cryptozoic at every corner--what good would that accomplish? They have enough on their plate without addressing the core design choices with the UI. I just hope it's modular enough for them to address without causing too much extra work in the future.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see the point of praising things that aren't worth praising. That to me, is the real beating of the dead horse--trying to force a sick pony to pull a wagon, instead of replacing it with a new stallion. For those that don't get the metaphor, it's like us praising all the good things Cryptozoic did (with the coding even) to make them fill good about themselves and keep pushing forward with the same core issues holding them back. But anyway, like I said they have plenty to work on fixing; and with it in players hands already, they're not going to want to address those issues (if they ever do) before they fix the game breaking bugs. That's what I think will happen anyway.

nicosharp
10-13-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm sorry, but I just don't see the point of praising things that aren't worth praising. That to me, is the real beating of the dead horse--trying to force a sick pony to pull a wagon, instead of replacing it with a new stallion. For those that don't get the metaphor, it's like us praising all the good things Cryptozoic did (with the coding even) to make them fill good about themselves and keep pushing forward with the same core issues holding them back. But anyway, like I said they have plenty to work on fixing; and with it in players hands already, they're not going to want to address those issues (if they ever do) before they fix the game breaking bugs. That's what I think will happen anyway.

Praise for anything is pretty mainstream nowadays. The baby boomers may be the last generation that were really managed by pointing out their mistakes and reprimanding them for work poorly done. You may be surprised that the professional management belief nowadays is to reinforce the positives openly and carefully critique the negatives privately.

I agree that a fire needs to be lit, but I am also happy for what is available now. A ton of work needs to be done, and the deadlines previously provided are way off based on the current client. Only time will tell, but everyone is self-motivated differently. You don't know if positive or negative reinforcement are going to fuel them more one way or the other, but I am sure they know what people think based on the bugs thread.

nylian
10-13-2013, 10:44 AM
...[giant whine-fest]...

Oh you mean it feels like an alpha?

Do you have any idea of how bad World of Warcraft was in Alpha? Or even early beta? (I was in first round of closed beta, as invited by Gabe and Tycho from penny arcade).

The OP even mentions that conceptually it's great, it's fun (even for alpha), and it still needs some work.

Your rant comes off as extremely whiny and ignorant.

Krakanous
10-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Didn't even know you could play against the AI so that's good to know! Assumed it was just a PVP alpha, thanks for the review i like that it's sounding great!

Gremio
10-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Oh you mean it feels like an alpha?

Do you have any idea of how bad World of Warcraft was in Alpha? Or even early beta? (I was in first round of closed beta, as invited by Gabe and Tycho from penny arcade).

The OP even mentions that conceptually it's great, it's fun (even for alpha), and it still needs some work.

Your rant comes off as extremely whiny and ignorant.

And how exactly was that a rant? I didn't go into specifics or in great length at all.

Yes, I know the state WoW was in during "bea". "Alpha", no. And I doubt you do either. But they're also two completely different games. I assure you, it is much more difficult to make a fully 3D world you can interact with on the scale of WoW, than a digital card game--but that's beside the point really. I already said I wouldn't go into *why* the OP was unrealistic, and all you managed to do on that point, was prove my reason for not doing so. Ignorant?...please.

I love when people argue, "but *come on*, it's alpha!!" It makes me chuckle every time. Arguably you could define alpha at any point in the development cycle, so it's really asinine to go there anyway. As far as I know the game has been in development for over a year and in concept/discussed seriously for 2. From a programmer's PoV, there are things that should have never been, and that's all I'll say on that.

@nicosharp
I'm not sure where you get that information or how it applies here. I think you would agree that mistakes *do* need to be pointed out, if anyone is to correct them and do a better job. And I'm not just talking about bugs in the game. I never want to "reprimand" anyone. I'm of the mindset that when I find a problem, I'd rather fix it then dwell on placing blame. Unfortunately most people are drama queens. The issue here isn't praising things that are done well; it's praising those that aren't. And discussing the negative points of a project vs a human beings downfalls are two completely different things. One you do in private, the other you don't.

fido_one
10-13-2013, 01:42 PM
To get back on point, Yamusha - great insight. The main thing I disagree with is your 'lack of English' skills - very well written post.

Yamusha
10-13-2013, 01:48 PM
I see a lot of negativity here, my dear. Just relax and enjoy the alpha. Why can't you people stop complaining all the day?

If you dont like how things are being done you can always sell your pledge and quit the game. I'm sure there are a lot of people that would like to buy some KS pledges (I've seen a lot of post of people asking for that).

Another option, maybe you can send an apply for job to Cryto (I think they are going to hire soon) and illuminate them with your wisdom. You seem to be a progamming guru. Aren't you?

Ah... And I'm not kissing anybody's posterior. If the game would seem to me a shit, I'd also tell you. I'm just talking here about my perspective as a gamer, not as a programer.

Thanks Fido.

By the way if anybody has any question about the game nowadays I'll try to answer as best as I can.

Facilier
10-13-2013, 03:22 PM
@Gremio - if your experience in the Alpha is different, would be really interesting if you wrote that up, with specifics of what you feel is lacking, even for an Alpha. The majority of the backers have a long wait ahead of them, so it's interesting to read of people's experiences with the game as it is today, perhaps look at the continuity of what it has become by the time they get in.

In the mean time, the OP stated what his position was in terms of a card playing background, and how it felt from there, and with games how something feels is important.

@Yamusha - How are you finding the impact in the game? One area where I always felt Blizzard is exceptional is in making one "feel" the impact from the creatures' strikes, even in Hearthstone. How are you finding it in this game? Is there much music in the game at the moment? Something interesting to establish setting, or just a loop that we will all be muting after a while to replace with Sammie Davis Jr?

nylian
10-13-2013, 09:16 PM
Another option, maybe you can send an apply for job to Cryto (I think they are going to hire soon) and illuminate them with your wisdom. You seem to be a progamming guru. Aren't you?

Ah... And I'm not kissing anybody's posterior. If the game would seem to me a shit, I'd also tell you. I'm just talking here about my perspective as a gamer, not as a programer.

Thanks Fido.

This made my day 8)