PDA

View Full Version : Deck Tech: Mono Wild "stompy" (Alpha gameplay)

Derium
10-12-2013, 11:21 PM
I'd first like to say sorry... I'm so use to playing MTG that I trip up with the term switches heh. Let me know your thoughts on this deck, and what you think can improve it. I'm uploading a PvP video of this as well right now. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkzE-MKWG9o&list=PLTz6hjkDqHATwMkkdejPmiELHDPt5gqtL&index=4

Decklist:
4x Howling Brave
4x Chlorophyllia
4x Fist of Briggodon
4x Crazed Squirrel Titan
4x Gigantify
4x Honeycap
4x Spirit Dance
4x Verdant Wyldeboar
3x Uzume, Grand Concubunny
25x Wild resources

EmraldArcher
10-13-2013, 03:34 AM
25 resources seems a bit high, most two color decks I have seen run less, especially with both the Brave and Chlorophyllia.

This deck seems vulnerable to weenie rush, maybe add in some Field of Poppies?

Wild Aura and Wild Growth both seem like they should have a place in the deck too. Especially Aura since it gives Crush and your goal is to beat their face in with giant monsters.

vulture27
10-13-2013, 06:05 AM
Some version of this deck will definitely be viable; if for no other reason then turn 3 Fist of Briggadon is game over.

- I would trade the Squirrel Titans for Battle Beetles with the green gem (I know gems aren't working in alpha yet, but it is a better choice when they are)
- Uzume is crap. Jadiim got buffed in the card file, play her.
- Drop Verdant Wyldeboar. There is no reliable card draw in wild, so you are just hoping RNG gives you a cheap stompy for the cost of two cards (which will almost never happen). Crash of Beasts is a better card. It is significantly better on the first cast, if you cast it twice you get a combines 9/9 worth of creatures vs a 6/6, and if you draw a third that could be GG.
- Gigantify is a really bad card for its cost. I think you are better off with another cheap creature in this spot in case you don't draw ramp. Moon'ariu Sensei, Glimmerglen Witch, Wild Root Dancer, Genesis Hydra, and Feral Ogre are all possibilities worth testing (and which is best could be highly dependent on your opponent's deck).

- Dont use Field of Poppies. It has a similar result to Fog from M:tG if you are trying to use it to survive. Which is to say, it wastes a card, does nothing to improve your board, and your opponent just crushes your face the next turn instead.
- I'm not sure if Spirit Dance is good enough or not. A 5 cost card that does nothing to impact the board is usually bad, but it could randomly win you the game. Could use more testing.

Edit: The thing this deck really wants the most is another 1-2 cost ramp spell. We'll have to hope set 2 or 3 gives us one.

EmraldArcher
10-13-2013, 06:11 AM
Spirit Dance is pretty awful all around.

Field of Poppies could turn out to be really good if the meta is heavy with token/weenie decks. Wild doesn't really have a way to deal with a swarm of X/1 creatures permanently. At least this gives you a turn or two to swing in without getting chump blocked.

darkwonders
10-13-2013, 09:36 AM
What's wrong with Spirit dance? Lowering the cost and adding 2 to toughness and power to every creature in the deck is pretty damn good.

HyenaNipples
10-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Field of Poppies is a very poor investment. I agree with Vulture 27.

So far, I don't see weenie decks as much of an issue. All you have to do is eliminate the problem card before it grows. Survival of the Fittest can keep down Ancester's Chosens and Pack Raptors, and Wild has access to Nature Reigns to deal with the command towers shin'hare decks really need to actually be dangerous.

Or you can just sprint for Wrathwood Colossus. That's probably the easiest option.

Spirit Dance might be effective when combined with Eye of Creation- but it still has no immediate effect on the table. That -usually- makes a card pretty undesirable right there. I'm eager to see how it plays out.

Juve
10-13-2013, 09:58 AM
http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/medium/DandelionSprite.jpg she should be quite good in monowild a specially if u use spirit dance or some +x/+x spells

but the majors cons of moonwild are:
-lack of card draw
-after game reset top decking +x/x spells, spirit dances, chronophilias could be frustrating
-lack of boardclear effects (which is perfectly fine, not every color should have spells like that)

HyenaNipples
10-13-2013, 10:24 AM
Card draw is probably the biggest issue, I agree.

Secret Laboratories might be a good idea.

EmraldArcher
10-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Field of Poppies isn't a defensive card, it;s a card to let you swing in for the win when they're clogging the ground with chump blockers.

vulture27
10-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Field of Poppies isn't a defensive card, it;s a card to let you swing in for the win when they're clogging the ground with chump blockers.

All of the good stompy creatures have some form of evasion, so it is still a bad card.

HyenaNipples
10-13-2013, 12:45 PM

This is the ideal situation for Field of Poppies. That isn't the proper way to gauge a card's overall strength. One must consider how likely that situation is- and it really isn't very likely. First you need to be going against a swarm deck, second, you need to be capable of winning the turn you use it. Otherwise the game isn't over, you get in some damage, sure. But you're a card down and nothing regarding board state has changed.

Derium
10-13-2013, 06:39 PM
25 resources seems a bit high, most two color decks I have seen run less, especially with both the Brave and Chlorophyllia.

This deck seems vulnerable to weenie rush, maybe add in some Field of Poppies?

Wild Aura and Wild Growth both seem like they should have a place in the deck too. Especially Aura since it gives Crush and your goal is to beat their face in with giant monsters.

I run 25 because if I have too many resources I'm still casting some things, but when you get stuck on 5 with this deck, you fall way too far behind imho

EmraldArcher
10-14-2013, 04:41 AM
This is the ideal situation for Field of Poppies. That isn't the proper way to gauge a card's overall strength. One must consider how likely that situation is- and it really isn't very likely. First you need to be going against a swarm deck, second, you need to be capable of winning the turn you use it. Otherwise the game isn't over, you get in some damage, sure. But you're a card down and nothing regarding board state has changed.

It isn't likely to have 15+ damage on the board when you're playing multiple creatures with 7 power and cards that give your creatures +7/+7?

Field of Poppies is an automatic sideboard card against Shin'Hare in this deck. If you don't think so I hope I see you playing it in a tournament.

vulture27
10-14-2013, 06:09 AM
It isn't likely to have 15+ damage on the board when you're playing multiple creatures with 7 power and cards that give your creatures +7/+7?

Field of Poppies is an automatic sideboard card against Shin'Hare in this deck. If you don't think so I hope I see you playing it in a tournament.

You are assuming Shin'hare is a tournament quality deck. I would disagree.

I also fail to see how a 7/7 crush, invincible or a 6/4 flight cares at all about a bunch of 0/1s flooding the board.

darkwonders
10-14-2013, 06:12 AM
One onslaught is all it takes for a board of 0/1s to win the game.

HyenaNipples
10-14-2013, 12:29 PM

I'm not sure at what point we started talking about sideboard cards. But yes I would agree, because the side-board is where you put weaker, situational cards.

bangari
10-14-2013, 02:36 PM

Early game, its a fog. Ergo, its worthless. Defence against early weeny has never been to cast fog.

Late game, there is no guarantee that 3 or less cost creatures matter. If you want do "swing in for the win", get overrun. this deck should have no problem casting it when its needed.

---

Gigantify is horrible. Most of the time another big creature will end the game just as fast, and you will incur far less risk of getting 2 for 1-ed. Beetle or tyrannosauruses both works.

I know you're trying to ramp up and get the big guns out, but you still need some early defense. You need to change wildboar with something else. You need the early game stabilization more than the game ending creatures. wildboar doesn't provide the former. Get more 2-4 drops.

I'm not sure what role concubunny is supposed to play. Shin hare don't do well without synergy. Having an expensive bunny that gives you random value that you might not be able to make use of is hardly worthwhile.