PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Road Map

NULL_VALUE
10-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Hello everybody,
at this state of the game and although I didn't even play it yet, I would like to suggest a roadmap. Since the community is quite involved in the development process, a periodically updated roadmap could pay off in the long term.
It would be require some work which then would slow down the development process, of course. But on the other hand it would provide a quick overview of reported bugs, the state of the game, the steps that will be taken in the next updates and so on. This might even enhance the development process in the long run when the testers get the needed information quicker and thus being able to skip bugs that are already reported more efficiently and a skilled web designer wouldn't take that long to establish something like that. Also those things always improve the communication between the developers and the community, which would benefit the whole HEX-project even after release.
As an example I might give you the following link to the Planetside 2 roadmap which also includes a rating system for the community that makes it easier for the developers to determine the opinion of the players.

http://www.planetside2.com/roadmap

PS: Please note that I am aware that this might even delay the next wave of invites, but since I am only a Slacker Backer I will definitely be affected by that, too.

Blowfeld
10-13-2013, 01:05 PM
I personally say "no" to a roadmap, at least to one with estimated dates.
If it is just a "we plan do this first and then maybe this and that after and see how it turns out before we add X" it's ok, but once a roadmap with estimated timestamps is out people will start feeling entitled that each and every date is met and that when feature X is implemented it has to work perfectly.

No matter how good a community is nowadays, they all turn bad once their expectations are not met the way they want to. Like the people ranting not to be in the alpha yet, as they cleeeearly payed for alpha access. Or the people that ranted that alpha/ beta would be later than estimated because the game received a much bigger budget than expected.

And that's only how it begins. I expect the community to become worse in alpha / beta, especially in open beta when a lot of new players enter and some entitled veterans start treating them like sh*t and some people not really fascinated by hex start trolling hard.

Hopefully this community will stand the test of time better than others, I am still quite positive.

So to return to the topic: roadmap ok, but please be as vague as possible to make people not take every plan as hard fact.

butttoots
10-13-2013, 03:52 PM
I personally say "no" to a roadmap, at least to one with estimated dates.
If it is just a "we plan do this first and then maybe this and that after and see how it turns out before we add X" it's ok, but once a roadmap with estimated timestamps is out people will start feeling entitled that each and every date is met and that when feature X is implemented it has to work perfectly.

No matter how good a community is nowadays, they all turn bad once their expectations are not met the way they want to. Like the people ranting not to be in the alpha yet, as they cleeeearly payed for alpha access. Or the people that ranted that alpha/ beta would be later than estimated because the game received a much bigger budget than expected.

And that's only how it begins. I expect the community to become worse in alpha / beta, especially in open beta when a lot of new players enter and some entitled veterans start treating them like sh*t and some people not really fascinated by hex start trolling hard.

Hopefully this community will stand the test of time better than others, I am still quite positive.

So to return to the topic: roadmap ok, but please be as vague as possible to make people not take every plan as hard fact.

I agree with you. Roadmaps are dope, spell out which features you're planning on implementing next, etc. but don't do dates or even "late 2013". People, myself very much included, will be annoyed when Crypto inevitably misses.

Mr.Funsocks
10-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Knowing the planned order of implementation would be nice. But yeah, no dates at this point. Further in development, dates might be feasible, but not now.

mudkip
10-13-2013, 05:21 PM
I would only want forecasts for content and features.

When the engine is pollished, it'd be nice to know one update ahead what future content to get excited about.

NULL_VALUE
10-13-2013, 05:43 PM
I... didn't say it should include dates, but I guess if CZE implements something like that then they should decide how specific they want to present their news. But my personal opinion onto that matter is that dates wouldn't be a good thing, especially in Alpha or Beta.

Berkhtar
10-14-2013, 04:26 AM
Basically a map would be cool. Schedule fore next week and each Friday update, we could see whether they have met their own expectations or not.

Camelot Unchained is doing it this way. People see that they are working and this is a good thing, they also do not complain is one goal is late.

At the moment frankly spoken: I have the feeling that nobody is working at CZE. I am sure that this is not right, but my gutfeeling is not very good at the moment. Not enough communication... even Twitter was dead during weekend (somebody has to work in the current situation... seems a bit like:Coach, your soccerteam lost 0:6 this Friday... Answer: Ah never mind, players get 2 days off and I visit my family...next week: Coach you lost 0:6 again...)

I do not have a problem with the delay, but I do have problem with not knowing why this happens... this is basically not how KS is supposed to work.

Crimvel
10-14-2013, 06:27 AM
+1 for Roadmaps. It is always interesting to see what is coming

mudkip
10-14-2013, 06:33 AM
I personally would love to hear about the timeboxes or the scrums (I'm not very good with Agile :))

Zophie
10-14-2013, 12:26 PM
I would also like some kind of roadmap showing general progress info on the various features and aspects of the game.

Keep in mind the roadmap doesn't necessarily have to be a point A to B line showing everything in order, it could instead just a page showing the various goals with progress bars and periodic updates on the state of those features. Here's an example of another game (Starbound) that has a nice roadmap set up showing their progress:

http://www.playstarbound.com/roadmap/

Granted, it goes without saying that we don't want time and resources taken away from the game itself in order to maintain such a roadmap, so it doesn't need to be very fancy. I'm sure we can all settle for the updates we're currently getting, and as major milestones are met I am guessing the amount of transparency into the development process will naturally increase from CZE.

SomeoneRandom
10-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Depending on what bug tracking software they are using, they could expose it to the public as a read-only perspective. I know a lot of open source or community code projects do this and it might be a nice way for us to see what they are working on, what has been fixed etc without them constantly updating us. For example it would be nice to know if a bug we reported got fixed so we could re-test it. Also this would make it easier to stop duplicate bugs because we could search for it first, the bug forum is miserable with 10 posts about the same super basic UI bug.

jetah
10-15-2013, 07:01 AM
But roadmaps are easy.

HEX Alpha -> ?? -> Release