PDA

View Full Version : Optimal number of resources in a deck?

frozensinx
10-14-2013, 08:22 PM
I'm nit new to TCG's but ive never actually built my own deck before, i was wondering if there is actually a number of resources all decks should have such as a third of the deck should be resources, or does it depend on the deck? like decks that focus on low cost cards should have less resources in their deck

Aradon
10-14-2013, 08:28 PM
For a typical 60-card deck, I start with 24 resources. This will generally get you up to 5 mana on a decent game. If you're playing a lot of 5-7 mana spells, you'll probably want to add one to three more resources to help you fund all your spells. If you're playing a lot of cheaper spells, you can cut 24 down. For a very aggressive deck running almost entirely 1 and 2 mana spells, I'd run 21/22 resources. For an aggressive deck that has some 3 and 4 drops, I typically take 23 resources.

If you're building a draft deck that's only 40 cards, 17 is a good base number for resources. I rarely deviate from that amount, and never by more than one or two.

So yeah. My rule of thumb is start at 24 resources and adjust up or down, depending on what your deck looks like.

Gwaer
10-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Aragon hit the nail on the head there. I'd say that in a few extraordinary circumstances you might go less than 21 resources. If you were running a fast green deck that included chlorophyllia and howling braves for example. Basically if you're running a reliable resource ramp you have more room to play. 24 and 17 are always a good starting point for their respective formats though.

bangari
10-16-2013, 01:02 PM
It ranges from 21-25, depending on curve. If you curve out at 4 mana, with mostly 1-3 drops, 22 could suffice. even less if you know how to mulligen well.

I can't remember the probabilities on top of my head, but 24 allows you a good chance to curve up to 5 lands without a miss. Its the starting point for most people.

Shadowelf
10-16-2013, 05:16 PM
As far as general rules of thumb:

A "midrange" deck that relies on its three- and four- drops for heavy lifting should run about 24 lands (i.e. 40% lands). There are actually fairly few of these in 60-card Constructed. 16-17 lands is the equivalent in (40-card) Limited, and is very common. Most of the intro decks WotC prints come with 24 lands.

Low-curve aggressive decks can get away with 20-22 lands. Some can function well on as few as 16-20. The idea here is that, unlike the "typical" deck above, you're only trying to hit your two-drops reliably, and being "mana-flooded" will usually cause a game loss as your deck runs out of steam.

Ramp decks tend to be over 50% mana sources or land-fetching cards, but only 24-28 lands. You can usually cut a land for every two non-land mana sources like Birds of Paradise or Azorius Signet that you play. (Why every two? Because you still need some land to cast your non-land mana sources, and because non-land mana sources are actually pretty pointless unless you're also making your land drops. Also, mana dorks are fragile!) Make sure your accelerators are low enough on your curve that they actually accelerate you, also -- for example, Pristine Talisman can help set up Elesh Norn and Gideon Jura, but it's pointless to put one in a deck that's all about Hero of Bladehold or Runechanter's Pike.

Control decks generally run 24-28 lands, with card-draw and card-filtering to help them hit land drops. Low-cost card-draw or card-filtering cards, like Preordain, are kinda like mana dorks for land-count purposes -- you'll see more cards, so you can afford to put fewer lands in the deck.

In Limited, if you don't have enough playables, it's okay to just go heavy on basic lands -- at least you'll avoid mana screw. I usually end up playing 17-18 lands even in low-curve aggressive decks because I'll only have about 22-23 cards I'll actively want to run

http://boardgames.stackexchange.com/questions/7589/land-ratio-vs-mana-curve

mortikal
10-22-2013, 03:49 AM
There is also a factor in how much card draw and other cheap (non-resource) mana sources you have in the deck. right now there isn't much 1 or 2 mana draw spells but there are some. usually 4 of those can reduce resource count by 1.

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 08:23 PM
My Modern Weird Storm deck i nMTG currently runs a whopping 10 lands, standard for the deck. But those ten lands, and only 6 other cards, dont draw a card off of being cast. it's a weird deck.
*Note*
I do not suggest running fewer than 22 lands in most decks. That deck just makes it work due to it's specific combo being run off of a single land.

kodra
10-25-2013, 12:49 PM
If they don't drastically alter Demented Demolisher, how does that impact the number of lands you bring with him? I feel like he throws a curveball into this equation by removing the chance for late game floods

Ebynfel
10-25-2013, 10:28 PM
He does...in a very specific deck theme in which he is run with a huge number of resources. But this is for 2 reasons. First, it allows massive deck thinning when the resources are gone. And second, the escalation cards are better with the maximum number of them in the deck, and little else. This is just a deck theme, and likely wont be the powerhouse it appears to be now when the card pool is completely implemented.

In the end, Demolisher decks will run a ton of resources. Because they want those escalation cards to come up as easily as possible, or their extinctions. But they are kind of like my MTG modern weird storm deck that runs 10 lands. It's a specific case/theme that makes it possible to successfully do so. It's far outside the norm to run over half of your deck as resources, and shouldnt impact any of the non-demolisher decks' resource counts whatsoever. Just because he runs 33 lands, doesnt mean you need to. It would be detrimental to your deck if you did in most cases.

Jinxies
10-26-2013, 03:07 AM
A Demented demolisher deck could probably run 52 lands or more depending on number of demolishers. mulligan until you ser a demolisher and the turn 6 and forward you play nothing but ragefires xD

Errantsquire
10-26-2013, 09:56 AM
I'm nit new to TCG's but ive never actually built my own deck before, i was wondering if there is actually a number of resources all decks should have such as a third of the deck should be resources, or does it depend on the deck? like decks that focus on low cost cards should have less resources in their deck

I found this article to be helpful but it may be a bit much for someone that's new to TCGs.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/25708_Limiting-Chance--Mana-Curves.html