PDA

View Full Version : Alpha on Mac questions

ArznikAaron
10-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Ok So I havent gotten Alpha invite yet but Im wanting to make sure Ill be able to run it when I get my invite in the next wave of invites.

Im on a 2011 Macbook pro, 2.2 GHz i7, 4GB ram, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB, latest OS X, what Im wondering is

A. Any chance that an Alpha Client will be made to work on mac anytime soon if not, will Beta be Mac friendly.

B. Is anyone running the current client on Parallels with Win8 on a Mac, If anyone has are, there any special workarounds needed or special circumstances to get it to work properly.

Thanks in advance for any Info/Advice.

I have a Win8 Laptop I could use but Id rather not have to haul around 2 laptops to work.... specially with the shady goomabs I work with.

Auriok
10-15-2013, 02:05 PM
i have iMac2009 late runes perfectly on wine.

Shadowelf
10-15-2013, 02:18 PM
A. Any chance that an Alpha Client will be made to work on mac anytime soon if not, will Beta be Mac friendly.

This is what we know so far;

Is OSX (Mac) still launching with PC and doing alpha/beta?

If we can find the engineering resources, we're going to do a Mac alpha client. Currently the client is for PC.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=27721

elstob
10-15-2013, 03:14 PM
I'm running it fine on a VMWare Fusion instance of Windows 7.

phereford
10-15-2013, 03:55 PM
I am running it on my MBP 2011 using Wine. I had tried various VMs of windows and failed.

Malakili
10-15-2013, 04:38 PM
I have Hex running on my OSX 10.8 running Crossover.

Shinsaku17
10-15-2013, 07:55 PM
I'm running it through Boot Camp on my 2013 Macbook Pro. I have Parallels on my iMac but haven't installed Hex on it to see if it's compatible.

Shaqattaq
10-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Crossposting from the General thread (and as someone who owns two MacBook Pros, iPhone, and iPad)

I just spoke to the person who speaks for that project. It's on the to-do list, but right now we're focused on getting the servers stable and the client going. He projected end-of-alpha or sometime during the beta. It's regrettable and I want to offer our apologies, but we have so many other issues that take priority over getting the Mac client going. We know we committed to making HEX run native on Mac products and we will make good on that commitment. I'll be posting this in the Friday update to let the collective community know.

Until we're able to deliver that, we recommend using Bootcamp or another solution in order to play the HEX alpha.

Redbeastmage
10-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Boot camp works, as does bootcamp with parallels (very cleanly I might add)

ovlovian
10-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Xpost
For those waiting for Alpha on Mac.
Now is the best time to buy one of the better programs to allow Windows programs
Parallels Desktop. $20 is cheap

It's usually $55-80

BaronLeone
10-16-2013, 05:42 AM
I have Hex running on my OSX 10.8 running Crossover.

How are you running this with Crossover? Doesn't Cryptozoic need to work with the Codeweavers to make it compatible with Crossover? I would find it hard to understand why they would do this with a product that is currently in Alpha.

Anyone having any success running with Parallels? Still waiting on my invite but I will be running it on Parallels until Mac native is available.

Malakili
10-16-2013, 07:38 AM
Crossover has options for installing unsupported software, with no guarantees of course. I tried it, it worked.

DeusPhasmatis
10-16-2013, 07:52 AM
I have Hex running in Wine. It's a little finicky (sometimes crashes on statup), but otherwise seems fine.

dredcrow
10-16-2013, 07:53 AM
How are you running this with Crossover? Doesn't Cryptozoic need to work with the Codeweavers to make it compatible with Crossover?

Crossover is just a modified version of the open-source Wine compatibility layer so it can pretty much run anything that Wine can in addition to programs that Codeweavers have added specific compatibility for. Unsupported programs may also benefit from the modifications made for supported programs.

ArznikAaron
10-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Just looked at crossovers website... interestingly I find it funny that they show some games that crossover runs and those games have Mac versions in the first place. notably Civ 5 and Diablo 3... just sayin lol

BaronLeone
10-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Crossover has options for installing unsupported software, with no guarantees of course. I tried it, it worked.

Thanks, I'll have to check it out when I get my invite. If I can use that over Parallels that would be fantastic.

ArznikAaron
10-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Once I looked up how to install unsupported programs with Crossover Hex has run almost perfectly. No crashes or freezes cause of Crossover, just locks up from time to time when I close Hex.

jetah
10-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Hey all. Gameforge has been kind enough to hire a lot of new staff specific to HEX, and as Cory outlines in his quote above, Cryptozoic is in control of all pricing for HEX. He's even stated in the Cryptozoic forums that our goal is to get pricing in the EU equal to US. So, you WILL NOT see $2 = 2€ as you do in many other games. We are committed to fair pricing. We are also committed to making sure HEX is not Pay-to-Win. Everyone buys the same booster packs from our store, and all booster packs have a chance to hold the same cards.

Kaemalux - I believe our Mac client had its first test game this weekend, but it's not quite ready for public consumption and our engineering resources are dedicated to getting as many players as possible into the alpha as soon as possible.

Hope this helps some!
CZE posted this in the KS comments of last weeks update.

ArznikAaron
10-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Thats good news.... Ill probably still run both windows and mac clients sense the mac client may have more/different bugs, that way I can play if one client is completely bugging out.

LiquidFlame
10-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Well I hope it supports 10.6.8, as that's the highest my laptop can go.

FoundInTheFlood
01-09-2014, 10:39 AM
I'm using Parallels 8 and after some time of playing I always get evil graphic errors, sometimes I don't even recognize the colour of cards in the card builder because there are pink and green artifacts everywhere :/

Kami
01-09-2014, 03:05 PM
For future reference, please don't necro very old threads. ^^;

Graf
01-09-2014, 11:00 PM
It's from a month and a half ago.... how is it "very old"?

It's valuable for people who may be thinking about using parallels to know that there is graphical corruption.