PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Over = card magnification

Lordy
10-15-2013, 03:09 PM
After few days playing, my first advice is to eliminate the right click to zoom in a card, and just magnify the card as the mouse pointer is moved on it. This would help alot. In my opinion, despite Hex it's a wonderful game im having issues visualizing cards...

I don't know if anything has been proposed about this already...in which case please disregard this thread.

XagoTrunk
10-15-2013, 03:11 PM
That would get annoying fast

Lordy
10-15-2013, 03:14 PM
well something needs to change...imo cards are too small and of difficult reading the way they are now.

Mushroom_C1oud
10-15-2013, 03:36 PM
I have to agree that the cards are difficult to read and the right clicking doesn't always work, either the card pops up and back too quickly or sometimes it pops up but you can't actually see the card, both of which are bugs.

Marsden
10-15-2013, 03:43 PM
I use the mouse wheel to zoom the cards in and out, much better than the right click.

SP33
10-15-2013, 03:45 PM
I can see this being a setting in the future but not defaulted. I assume the longer you play the game the less you will need to zoom in to the cards to see what they do.

Lordy
10-15-2013, 04:05 PM
SP33, well if you consider exapnsions are going to be released every 4 months or so...im sure you won't know each and every card, not Always at least...and not imediately :)

lamaros
10-15-2013, 04:52 PM
God. No.

TheRhys
10-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Yeah, this would be pretty good. Let it be a setting people can click on for people who hate progress. Btw, we're just talking about making the card like 50% bigger, not popping it up like it does now, cuz that would be terribad.

DarkSeverance
10-15-2013, 05:28 PM
right click to zoom in a card, and just magnify the card as the mouse pointer is moved on it.Why right click when you can just use the 'mouse wheel' to zoom in and out? ^_^

Mr.Funsocks
10-15-2013, 05:31 PM
SP33, well if you consider exapnsions are going to be released every 4 months or so...im sure you won't know each and every card, not Always at least...and not imediately :)

You gotta know (based on your sig at least) that anyone who plays a TCG more than twice starts to memorize cards. It happens pretty darn quickly. I already know 1/2 or more of set 1 and I haven't even played the game yet, just watched a few streams and talked about the game in IRC. For most everyone, the mouseover-zoom would quickly become superfluous and irritating.

dodecapod
10-15-2013, 05:58 PM
how bout a key-binding on for magnification on mouse location? Press and hold to magnify.

Lordy
10-15-2013, 11:18 PM
magnification to mea means a 50% increase of card size not a half screen popup ^_^

Lordy
10-15-2013, 11:20 PM
you perfectly know that this TCG in particular it's a bit different: evolving cards, particular aura's and effect etc. It's not that bad to have a 50% magnification on each card once you move your mouse pointer on it...without having to use a wheel or a button....

Mr.Funsocks
10-15-2013, 11:53 PM
you perfectly know that this TCG in particular it's a bit different: evolving cards, particular aura's and effect etc. It's not that bad to have a 50% magnification on each card once you move your mouse pointer on it...without having to use a wheel or a button....

I fail to see how that's different than enchantments in MtG... The effects of changing cards have notations visible without zooming in for the most part.

And yeah, I would say it's that bad to have that as a default. It would get annoying. Having another zoom setting, for, say, sticky hovering (keeping your cursor over a card for 1 second) maybe, but really... I'd rather a click.

Eierdotter
10-16-2013, 12:11 AM
This mouseover would be very handy for new players.
But only if you could turn it off in the options.

After playing a week or so it will get super annoying,
being not able to target a specific card on a crowded board (hint: artifacts; shin'hare),
because every other card you hit blocks your view...

My only experience with this mouseover zoom is in Hearthstone, i got very confused at the beginning,
took a bit of practice to play cards from the hand...managed it and got bored of the game.

Khazrakh
10-16-2013, 12:47 AM
I fail to see how that's different than enchantments in MtG... The effects of changing cards have notations visible without zooming in for the most part.

And yeah, I would say it's that bad to have that as a default. It would get annoying. Having another zoom setting, for, say, sticky hovering (keeping your cursor over a card for 1 second) maybe, but really... I'd rather a click.

I couldn't agree more. I haven't even played the game yet but just from watching streams I already know every card that sees some play and I really don't want every other card to pop up just because I went over it with my mouse.

I can see this beeing usefull to new players and/or players who have problems to memorize cards so I agree it would be a good thing to have it as an option but it should in no way be always active.

Shustro
10-16-2013, 01:11 AM
use mouse wheel man.

"Mouse Over = card magnification" is bad idea. or at least it must be switched preference in Options

JakeFreedom
10-16-2013, 08:57 AM
A hot key that is pressed and held while the mouse hover event is active would work perfectly. Make this a bind-able key. That way a player could un-bind the key and not have the option at all. Just as dodecapod had mentioned. You could ever go as far as having a setting to set how much you want to scale the cards. A slider or something of that nature from 10% to 100%.

Captain_Obvious
10-16-2013, 09:39 AM
~Are you really too lazy to click a button?~

Drake6k
10-16-2013, 10:31 AM
You gotta know (based on your sig at least) that anyone who plays a TCG more than twice starts to memorize cards. It happens pretty darn quickly.
You're right. I already know just about every card from the art alone.

I want to throw it out there that I actually like the right-click zoom method and that having the zoom happen automatically is not a good idea.

Bekkir
10-16-2013, 06:56 PM
I could see an optional toggle for a 25-50% magnification on mouse over, just enough to make the numbers and keywords readable without it covering half the board.

That said, my preferred method is how I have it set in MTGO. I keep a "Card" window up and in the corner of the screen so it doesnt cover anything, and whatever card I hover over shows up there magnified for easy reading. Obviously an extra window probably isnt the best answer, but perhaps a designated space on the right of the screen might be worth considering. (With the option to toggle it off, of course)

Niedar
10-17-2013, 02:25 PM
It should be pointed out that right now the way they are handling text with small cards is not optimal and that it is possible to have clear and crisp text without any zoom for cards in your hand. I certainly don't think that an option should not be given, but given the current size it is not optimal.

Lawlschool
10-17-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm picturing something like what the Mac has at the bottom of the screen, where the card gets slightly bigger as you mouse over, and "pushes" the other cards out of the way to prevent one card from overlapping another. I'd like that, definitely as an option. Actually clicking a card can be more distracting, as it completely covers the board. That's good if you want to study a new card you haven't seen before, but having a mouseover size increase would be nice for a quick refresher of what a card does / what is affecting the card.