PDA

View Full Version : going first or second

ShadowTycho
10-16-2013, 06:42 AM
this should be a choice based on whom wins the coin flip. just having the winner go first is sub optimal.

Erep
10-16-2013, 06:54 AM
I'm not sure that it is "sub optimal". It takes away advantage from nonstandard decks, who will get an advantage because their oppoenent gives them turn order they want without realizing the deck they are playing against.

It also returns the advantage to the nonstandard deck player, because the opponent doesnt question why they chose that turn order. It is just different. Not better or worse.

(Personally I like it, because it forces the non standard player to play both first and second, instead of always getting what they want in a best of 1 situation where their opponent would help them with turn order.)

SomeoneRandom
10-16-2013, 06:59 AM
I hope we have a choice before limited comes out, but until then I don't really see why you would go 2nd in the current state of the game. Aggro is too fast to delay your removal/board wipes.

Paradigm
10-16-2013, 04:11 PM
I came in thinking you should be able to choose, but Erep's wonderfully written reply completely made me change my tune. I realize that ultimately, in every card game I've ever played I got to choose who went first on a winning coin flip. I think this may just be a case of resisting change.

gg's Erep. :)

ShadowTycho
10-16-2013, 08:40 PM
after reading erep's post i think i agree.

no reason hex has to be like other games, and it is a interesting difference that makes for more room for skilled play.
Please keep the turn order thing as is.

SomeoneRandom
10-17-2013, 11:13 AM
The only problem I see for keeping it as is is that the "non-standard" decks that want to go 2nd in limited really need that extra card. And it might make you less likely to go with decks like that which will cut down on creativity a bit. Not something to really fight over, but I would still prefer it be a choice. Also, what would be the process then for game 2 and 3? Would suck to go 2nd all 3 games in an aggro vs aggro matchup.

Miwa
10-17-2013, 12:49 PM
I'd vote you don't get to choose, as that would provide an extra advantage to winning the flip for decks that might be able to use 1st or 2nd more optimally. What you really want from the coinflip is as little advantage as possible instead...

SomeoneRandom
10-17-2013, 08:02 PM
I'd vote you don't get to choose, as that would provide an extra advantage to winning the flip for decks that might be able to use 1st or 2nd more optimally. What you really want from the coinflip is as little advantage as possible instead...

It is the same amount of advantage either way... Either you choose your preferred method on average 50% of the time, or its chosen for you at random 50% of the time. The only difference is screwing over decks that are built to draw first which is a deck-building decision that should be preserved IMO.