PDA

View Full Version : Inspire rule clarification

Silentknyght
10-16-2013, 06:32 PM
How precisely does "Inspire" work? The language pertinent to my question is this:

"As another troop... enters play under your control, it gets permanent..." (emphasis added)

What is the order of operations for this... effect? Does a troop have this effect applied as it is cast, and so enters play with the bonuses in effect, or does the effect go on the stack after the troop is in play?

Perhaps it's semantics, but I'm getting tripped up on the word "As". Usually, the word I'd expect to see is "When," which suggests Ctz means something different using "As"...

Cheers.

Shirik
10-16-2013, 06:44 PM
If it follows anything like WoW TCG (which wouldn't surprise me), it means the following:

It occurs before any triggered powers trigger, and is not a triggered power itself (i.e., it happens immediately)
It occurs before the troop enters play (i.e., nothing in play is affecting it yet, or sees it in play)
All such modifiers happen simultaneously

I can't say for sure that this is how it works in Hex, because we don't have any kind of official rulebook, but it would make sense that it remains consistent, since the same people (more or less) are on the R&D team.

funktion
10-16-2013, 06:48 PM
Generally speaking (using the way it works in MTG at least), AS means that it doesn't use the chain / doesn't trigger. It just is.

A good example would be if there was a 0/0 troop that came into play with a protectorate clergyman (inspire: +1+1) already hanging out.
-If protectorate was "When..." the 0/0 would die before the trigger resolved
-Since the protectorate is "As..." the 0/0 comes into play as a 1/1

I could be a off here, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Aradon
10-16-2013, 06:49 PM
In MtG, 'when' indicates a triggered ability. If Inspire were to say, "When another troop enters play ..." then that troop would enter play as normal, a triggered ability would go onto the stack, and when that ability resolves, the troop would get the benefit. 'As,' on the other hand, indicates the change happening while the process happens, without giving players a chance to react. It modifies the event without creating a triggered ability. Since Inspire uses 'As,' the Inspire ability modifies how the troop enters play without using any triggered ability. The troop will automatically receive the bonus while entering play, and will never be in play without the bonus. For example, Kraken Mariner gives +0/+1 to other troops as they enter play. The troops will have the bonus at all times in play, and there is never a window where the troop is in play and players receive priority, but the troop does not have the increased defense.

So, order of operations:
1) Troop with inspire is in play.
2) Troop with greater cost is cast, and put on the stack. Troop is currently uninspired.
3) Troop resolves, enters play. Troop is immediately inspired. No priority window is given where it is uninspired.

There is no triggered ability to go on the stack. It enters play with the bonus in effect.

Triggered abilities always use 'when' or 'whenever,' and 'as' indicates a modification of an event and generally does not create a triggered ability.

Icepick
10-17-2013, 04:08 AM
funktion and Aradon have this pretty spot on - you can see it in an example of Inspire troops combined with the Sniper of Gawaine. Inspire troops say "As enters play" and the Sniper of Gawaine's (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards&cardid=108&search=gawaine) effect is a "When enters play." The Sniper will always receive the Inspiration buffs before he hits the table, and thus the damage his effect deals is always that post-inspire amount.