PDA

View Full Version : Raptor Deck Ideas

Kingmax
10-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Hi guys, while I wait for my alpha invite I started building some Decks. My first idea were some funny Raptor Decks. It would be great if you guys check them out, tell me what you think about them and maybe how to improve.

If you are already in the alpha feel free to build and test them :)

Deck 1: (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=2634)

First one up is a Wild/Sapphire deck that wants to put as many Raptors and The Ancestor's Chosen into play and then just uses Onslaught to smash the dmg in.

I am not sure about the amount of resources and the "Stargazer", I feel like putting in some "Wild Auras" to get an earlier Crush troop out and "Mesmerize" to stop some enemy troops.

Deck 2: (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=2637)

The second one plays Wild/Diamond. And essencially wants to win with the Totem or Raptors. I dont like this as much as the first one because I think it is missing some cards to draw more Raptors and I guess too many 1 drop troops.
I don't know if the "Radiant Armor" and "Chimera Guard Outrider" Combo is as good as I think.

Deck 3: (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=2523)

The third and last one is yet again Wild/Sapphire. But this time I got the mill going for me and the enemy.

Not sure if I need the "The Ancestor's Chosen" in this one and if I could replace the "Stargazers" with one more "Turbine" and "Laboratory" to either use the "Turbine" on the "Fate Rack" or "Laboratory".

Arkaal
10-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Deck 1:

This is the form I expect most raptor decks to take. I wouldn't push the Wild Aura. By the time your raptors are big enough to really use Crush, they'll be fine without it.

Mesmerize is decent control, which might help give you the time you need to get going. As for Stargazer vs Lab - the Stargazer is better earlier (because it can be activated slightly earlier), but the lab is a little better later (because it can be played and activated on the same turn).

Really, I'm not sure the WRD is really a good choice, though. At 4 resources, you'd rather be discarding resources (to lab/stargazer) to get more raptors.

Deck 2:

Totem and raptors are fairly at odds in their playstyle. To make totem strong, you want lots of resources. That also works well with Outrider/Armor. But with raptors, all you want are more raptors. If you keep resources to pump your totem, you won't be able to dig for more raptors.

It might work well, by being flexible (discard raptors to get resources if you need a big stompy or discard resources to get raptors if need a horde)? It seems like it would be a lot weaker than Deck 1, though.

Deck 3:
Mill/Raptors is... very odd. Since you're not running Booby trap, your mill are cards are all worthless unless you actually manage to deck them. But I doubt you'll deck anyone when you're filling your deck with raptors, so I suspect that you'll find your Madness and Fate Rack to be dead draws in basically every game.

HyenaNipples
10-17-2013, 10:59 AM
One thing to consider is a secondary win condition in these decks. Sooner or later, everyone currently in the Alpha is going to get wise to these types of decks which rely heavily on X/2 creatures. It might be worth preemptively creating a second dynamic to your deck, before everyone starts rolling heavy in their color's removal + sapper's charges. Once those decks appear, you might not be able to depend on your enemy allowing your raptors and Chosens to survive long enough for them to grow into a legitimate threat.

Kingmax
10-17-2013, 11:28 AM
First of all thx for the input.

@Arkaal:
In the first deck I will consider Mesmerize instead of Wild Root Dancer. And I will keep the Stargazers and the Labs as they were.

I know that deck two is not as strong as deck one but I got two options to win and I just want to see how it plays out. I either get the Raptor or the Totem. That will depend on what the enemy is doing and how many Raptors I got.

Raptor Milling is odd, I know but yet again two strong options to win the game. And i could just switch "The Ancestor's Chosen" with "Sabotage" to get that second option to play out better.

@HyenaNipples:
Thats what we need to find out by playing those decks. I want to see how other players react with their decks but like I said deck two and three are not as strong as deck one but they got two ways to win.
I guess dying Raptors would be bad but not horrible cause we already got four new ones in the deck.
The Chosens will die like flies but sure some of my minions need to die for me to win the battle :p

Any Ruby burn decks will kill my first deck for sure especially with Heat Wave even blood decks with Extinction will give the deck a hard time.

So you got any suggestions on how to avoid that right now? The only thing I can think about would be Yesterday, Countermagic or Spirit Dance but spirit dance could be too late.

HyenaNipples
10-17-2013, 12:12 PM
The lack of certain functioning cards is the main problem, I think. For any deck utilizing wild, you have Crash of Beasts and Eye of Creation- both of which do not currently function in the Alpha. They will be useful counters to the mass removal if you simply squirrel one of them in your hand and wait for the spell to hit. Surprise! Tons of troops!

My main point was simply more along the lines that people will begin to realize they need decks which eliminate key, early game cards. Drawing more raptors isn't particularly useful if all the other ones are already dead because then you need to utilize other sources of boost to make them even remotely dangerous. While your enemy is progressing into his mid game, you're back at square one, trying to turn 1/1s into major threats.

I would imagine it would be nice to have something like a few Gigantasaurs ready to take over if pack is dissolved before it can form.

GatticusFinch
10-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Not in the alpha yet, but is Succulent Roostasaur in yet? I think that card could negate some of the dead raptor draws and help you get damage through / effective blocking while you work on drawing your raptors.

arastor
10-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Not in the alpha yet, but is Succulent Roostasaur in yet? I think that card could negate some of the dead raptor draws and help you get damage through / effective blocking while you work on drawing your raptors.

Yes it is, and it is tasty.

FlyingMeatchip
10-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Blood Raptor
Uses the pain creatures with an early punch - claw, fang of the mountain god
Life siphons murder
Raptors for a late game with demented demolisher to get extra resources out of deck.
Side board the pacts of pain and life to trade out demolisher for extra card draw
Any card that enhances drawing a card is a benefit.