PDA

View Full Version : Good Blood 2drop?

Pipsqueakedy
10-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Im trying to find a good blood 2drop creature, but there doesnt seem to be one so far in Set 1.

I like the idea behind Incubation Slave, but in a color Dominated by Demented Demolisher right now, you want to design a deck around the idea of topdecking with 5 resources, which makes the 6 mana cost seem detrimental to an agressive style blood deck. The overall fragileness of this card, especially in later turns when your opponent has access to more removal/board wipe also makes it hard to include in a 60 card deck.

Blood Savant is another possible candidate for a core blood 2drop, but the 3 blood threshold for the ability really castrates the card in a dual color deck. The 2 mana for +1/+1 also isnt overwhelming, its definitely a contender, but since it doesnt support playing a second color very well, i doubt it will see much competitive play.

Then there are the two blood shinhare drops. Shinhare Eulogist has a nice synergy in straight shinhare decks, but doesnt really do anything in any other type of deck.

Shinhare High Born has the nice ability of giving a double chump blocker for 2 cost and 1 threshold. not a terrible way to spend turn 2 resources, especially because it can survive one board wipe or removal. The downside of this card is that every type of removal spell or damage ability in the game will kill both of the blockers.

Determined Zombie is a 2/1 for 2 at one threshold. No other abilities? I have to pass on this one. It seems that Hex is shooting for a lower power curve than 1/1 per turn, but i still see no reason to play a card with no ability in a color characterized by strong abilities/interactions.

Edit: I forgot Midnight Shepherd. What is this card? I mean. Where does it fit in for constructed decks? every threshold + self exhaust to revive any troop from any graveyard? sounds like a PvE card to me.

Maybe somebody can convince me that one of these cards is worth rethinking, but currently none of them seem worthy of being a staple blood 2drop.

Juve
10-17-2013, 11:13 AM
fix

Im trying to find a good blood 2drop creature, but there doesnt seem to be one so far in alpha.

u also have him Malfunctioning War Bot (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/medium/MalfunctioningWarBot.jpg)

Aradon
10-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Blood Harbinger, but it probably isn't in the Alpha yet. Depending on the deck, it could be worth running 1-drops or 3-drops in place of the 2-drops.

For current Alpha use, if you absolutely need a 2-drop, you're forced to play a sub-optimal 2/1 for 2. It fills out the curve, can attack people well enough, trades with X/2s. Not a great role player, but it's a card. Depends on how badly you need something in that slot. Typically it's Aggro decks that have the strictest curves, and a 2/1 for 2 is sufficient, if not appealing, in many cases. If you're playing a control deck, I'd search around for other solutions outside of a Blood 2-drop creature.

vulture27
10-17-2013, 11:17 AM
It is a weak spot in the officially spoiled cards. Check out the unofficial spoiler in this thread and there are better options coming.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=28483

On a related note;
1st RULE: You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB.
2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about FIGHT CLUB.

Pipsqueakedy
10-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Thats pretty much what ive been thinking Aradon. I guess i was more looking for an aggro 2drop, or a quick threat that demands removal for control/midrange decks. Its a type of card that blood feels like it should have, but doesnt so far.

Luckily, as Juve pointed out, it is only alpha. There are yet more cards to be revealed, and hopefully some missing spots in the colors lineups will be filled out.

Ive been thinking about exactly what i wanted in a blood 2drop. I feel like an early lifedrain troop is missing, but the idea of a 1/1 with lifedrain for 2 doesnt really seem ideal. Ive been thinking of a 1 or 2 blood threshold lifedrain + rage 1 0/1 would fit in quite nicely. At 2 threshold i think its definitely a balanced card, at 1 threshold it might be overpowered, but i still think it fits into the overall set, as well as the blood theme quite well.

nicosharp
10-17-2013, 01:48 PM
If you really want a decent 2/2 - You could just play a Malfunctioning War-bot. It's a little Risque, but far more reliable than the turn 1 2/2.

The_Wine_Gnat
10-17-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm siding with Blood Harbinger. Didn't realize it's not in Alpha.

ossuary
10-20-2013, 06:26 AM
Shamed Gladiator could also be good, though I think it is also not in the alpha right now. It's 2/2 for 2, 1 threshold, socketable minor, deals 2 damage to you when it enters play.

Darkspire Priestess is definitely not in yet (it technically hasn't even been spoiled yet), but that should be a good one once it's put into the game as well. 2/1 for 2, 1 threshold, and when it dies, your opponent has to either lose 3 life, or let you search your library for another troop with darkspire in its name and put it in your hand.

Juve
10-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Shamed Gladiator could also be good, though I think it is also not in the alpha right now. It's 2/2 for 2, 1 threshold, socketable minor, deals 2 damage to you when it enters play.

Darkspire Priestess is definitely not in yet (it technically hasn't even been spoiled yet), but that should be a good one once it's put into the game as well. 2/1 for 2, 1 threshold, and when it dies, your opponent has to either lose 3 life, or let you search your library for another troop with darkspire in its name and put it in your hand.

actually she was spoiled, she is new tuned down harbinger

Pipsqueakedy
10-22-2013, 10:47 AM

I was also very enthusiastic about shamed gladiator as you described it. Sadly, it seems that the design team had other ideas, because on hextcgbrowser Shamed gladiator is a 1/2 rage 1 for 3, 1 threshold with a minor socket. Definitely an awesome card, but doesnt fit into the 2slot.

As for Darkspire Priestess, if it makes into the game as described, it will probably fit into most decks as a very nice 2drop

Leingod
10-22-2013, 11:18 AM
The tcgbrowser version is the currently known older version. If the google docs spoilers are true the 2/2 version that pings you for 2 when it comes into play is the new version. So you could have a nice 4/2 that can't block for 2. Otherwise I think malfunctioning war bot or the new blood harbinger are your best choices, though only war bot is in alpha currently.