PDA

View Full Version : A suggestion for attack/defend phase priority

havocattack
10-17-2013, 01:29 PM
At the moment, you can either click the button on screen or press space bar to pass priority. Lots of people use space bar and thus it makes it very easy to accidentally skip attack/defend phases which can end up costing a match.

A simple solution to alleviate this would be to make it so space bar doesn't work during attack/defend phases, or make it so you have to hit space bar twice to skip during those phases.

That is all :)

Dakin
10-17-2013, 01:51 PM
I learned my lesson after I did that a couple times, you'll eventually get used to it I imagine and it'll become a non-issue.

abc123
10-17-2013, 01:54 PM
uhhh... I think an even simpler solution is if you don't want to pass priority don't push the space bar?

HyenaNipples
10-17-2013, 01:58 PM
It wouldn't hurt to have the button turn a different color/shape when transferring between phases. Or perhaps move it to a different location when that happens. Any sort of differentiation would be a solid addition.

The above suggestions of "Learn to deal with it" doesn't seem like the best philosophy when making an intuitive UI..... but whatever the solution, color-blindness should be considered from the get-go.

abc123
10-17-2013, 02:04 PM
I read the post more as him having trouble controlling his muscles rather than being faced with a cumbersome interface.

HyenaNipples
10-17-2013, 03:16 PM
I read the post more as him having trouble controlling his muscles rather than being faced with a cumbersome interface.

It's an issue that has plagued many players, from what I hear.

Interesting. Your forum account was created today, it shows no creativity in terms of name, and all of your posts thus far have been snide, pointless, and trollish. You wouldn't happen to be someone who was just banned from the forums, would you?

abc123
10-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Sorry, didn't know spacebar compulsion was a real epidemic.

Lawlschool
10-17-2013, 03:59 PM
I second having some differentiation in the bar between phases. I'm sure learning the phases themselves will be tricky enough for new players, having some sort of color-coded differentiation (either in the bar or with the symbols) would help immensely. Causing the bar not to trigger on space, or something similar, could be equally problematic if people just think it's not reacting and start hammering space. Color coding would be awesome and much better.

abc123
10-17-2013, 04:10 PM
could be equally problematic if people just think it's not reacting and start hammering space. Color coding would be awesome and much better.

Hammering space.... well that right there is your problem if that is what you think you should be doing when the game lags... Not sure how rainbow colors are going to help people refrain from pushing spacebar when their Sbar Compulsion kicks in.

mudkip
10-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Maybe just add a 2-3 second delay where the spacebar stops working on the attack/defend phase?

the_artic_one
10-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Really, pass priority and end phase should probably be on different keys/buttons, I'd bet that UI is going to change a lot over the course of alpha/beta.

danagar
10-17-2013, 05:50 PM
I had trouble with this as well. I think something in options where you can have it pop up a confirmation box, "are you sure you want to skip combat phase?" Or even "are you sure you want to skip your main phase?".

I've skipped combat and even skipped my main phase because I had some constants that go off at the beginning of each turn and you have to "space" through the stack and I managed to space right through my main phase. Missed land drop, missed chance to cast anything, and just plain felt stupid. This would never happen in a paper TCG, but this is a digital TCG and considerations like these need to be made.

Heck when tablet support comes out this would become even more important because people could miss tap/lag/etc and throw a close game because of user error. Not because of screw/flood/deck design/strategy. Losing because you f'd up stings more than getting screwed. Can't argue with screw, it's just probability. Even if you had 53 lands in your deck, still chance to draw a no land opening hand :)

Being in the options, people can choose whether they want this useful or annoying feature (depends on your perspective) enabled. Pretty much leaves everyone happy. Even going back to early versions of windows, "are you sure to want to delete xxx?" Sometimes people just get on autopilot and are not thoroughly considering each click/tap/space.

lamaros
10-17-2013, 06:30 PM
They just need some stronger clues for the phases. At the moment most of them look the same and just change the text slightly at the top.

With some icons and colours and sounds it will be just fine.

ShadowTycho
10-18-2013, 06:47 AM
maybe you could have the pass turn button change the symbols that it has on either side of it to correspond to the phase that its passing.

There are already those wonderful turn phase symbols and it would make you be able to see what the phase you were passing was better at a glance.
Also helpful would be maybe a 1 second delay added between thing hitting and leaving the stack and such. When i have had this problem it has generally been when some game element took an unusually long amount of time to load and I hit the space bar a few times to make sure that it wasn't sitting there invisible(which has also happened) and it queued up all my priority passing and phase passing needs until my opponent had to provide some input.
If it made it so you could only put one "pass button hit" in the command queue(or however it works) and also gave a second to respond to stuff actually executing this would probably go away.

I also like letting pass priority and end phase being different keys.

UDareUTake
10-18-2013, 08:36 AM
I would agree that some changes would be better as I have made lots of mistakes accidentally skipping pass crucial attack/defend phases and its all caught on my stream countless times :(

When you get too used to spacebar to skip pass the priority, Its muscle memory that takes over and press it, so some form of confirmation or differentiation would definitely help in avoiding unwanted mistakes and further improve the UI experience

Raith
10-18-2013, 09:44 AM
It's definitely pretty easy to skip important phases. I primarily use the mouse and I still skip important phases sometimes. However, the more you play the less it happens, especially if you aren't trying to hammer through like a madman (like I tend to do). It will also be helpful when we can use the timers to just let the game skip the priority after a few seconds by itself.