PDA

View Full Version : What would you first pick?

Aradon
10-17-2013, 02:49 PM
This was a pretty popular exercise on the MtGSalvation forums, thought I'd give it a try here. If the following pack is your first pack in a draft, what card would you pick? This is barring 'high value' cards, so assume you are in the draft to win. The pack was generated with just a random number generator, so I haven't take print runs into account at this time.

Show Pack (http://www.elftown.com/stuff/Draft%20pack%201.gif)
Cards:

Storm Colossus
Field of Poppies
Polymorph: Dingler
Necessary Sacrifice
Crimson Clarity
Misfortune
Wrathseeker
Bravery
Mortar Strike
Ruby Pyromancer
Effigy of Nulzann
Ruby Lance
Noble Citizenry
Blood Cauldron Ritualist
Moon'ariu Sensei

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to attach polls? Let me know if you guys like this exercise, and I could create some more 'packs' to discuss.

nicosharp
10-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Toss up between Misfortune and Polymorph: Dingler.
Probably Misfortune for late game tempo gain.

Avaian
10-17-2013, 03:17 PM
I would probably pick up 'Polymorph: Dingler' first.

Noble Citizenry is also high on my list at this time.

HyenaNipples
10-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Storm Colossus, hands down.

A massive evasion troop that has spell shield? Yes, please.

The_Wine_Gnat
10-17-2013, 03:34 PM

^

edit: Might I suggest that you list a couple of decks (say 1-5) that people can then first choose for all of them? Would be nice to see various draws.

Vengus
10-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Storm Colossus most likely.

To clarify:
First of all Colossus is a rare, while a card like Polymorph is an uncommon, which means there's a somewhat reasonable chance you might pull that one from a different booster. If you don't, there are always cards like Murder you can pick since those are only common. Colossus on the other hand is a rare you might only see once in the draft, and its pretty darn strong because of his spellshield, which brings me to the second point. Spellshield only protects against targeted effects like Murder, but not against cards like Extinction. What makes spellshield so nice in a draft is that cards like Extinction and Yesterday are rare, therefore reducing the amount of those cards you will see in a draft.

LargoLaGrande
10-17-2013, 04:09 PM

It's pretty easily Storm Colossus. 7 isn't prohibitively high, and I'm of the opinion that Saphhire is the deepest shard. In the absence of the Colossus I think you could argue Ruby Pyromancer, Noble Citizenry or Polymorph: Dingler depending on your preferences, although I would probably take the Pyromancer.

The_Wine_Gnat
10-17-2013, 06:33 PM
How does spellshield not work vs extinction, which is a spell?

IndigoShade
10-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Spellshield only prevents them from being targeted by spells, Extinction isn't selective in who it kills and doesn't actually target anything.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's kind of hard to argue with Storm Colossus. Citizenry and actually even Blood Cauldron Ritualist seem like good picks too though.

WhiteBubbles7
10-18-2013, 04:14 AM
Storm Colossus easy choice. Pyromancer after that

Wodahs
10-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Colossus for sure. I'd go effigy before ruby pyro for 2nd pick.

Avaian
10-19-2013, 08:49 AM
I am bored and enjoyed this thread and wished more people participated in it. So after seeing the majority of people choosing Storm Colossus as a first pick, I decided to put forth an argument of why my first pick may be better, just to get people to think outside of the box.

This is by no means a definite reason not to pick Storm Colossus, and after thinking about it I may choose it over my first choice but that is still iffy for me.

By picking up 'Polymorph: Dingler', a sapphire card, you pass Storm Colossus, also sapphire, to the next player.

That player then will most likely pick up the Storm Colossus, I can't really think of why they wouldn't unless they had an excellent first pick from their pack.

This situation then gives you slight control over that player. You will then be able to grab the good sapphire cards from the packs for the first and third rounds before they are able to, effectively weakening a deck that uses Storm Colossus.

I hope this gets people to think more about what they pick, however this situation isn't ideal for everyone.

Vengus
10-19-2013, 10:32 AM
I am bored and enjoyed this thread and wished more people participated in it. So after seeing the majority of people choosing Storm Colossus as a first pick, I decided to put forth an argument of why my first pick may be better, just to get people to think outside of the box.

This is by no means a definite reason not to pick Storm Colossus, and after thinking about it I may choose it over my first choice but that is still iffy for me.

By picking up 'Polymorph: Dingler', a sapphire card, you pass Storm Colossus, also sapphire, to the next player.

That player then will most likely pick up the Storm Colossus, I can't really think of why they wouldn't unless they had an excellent first pick from their pack.

This situation then gives you slight control over that player. You will then be able to grab the good sapphire cards from the packs for the first and third rounds before they are able to, effectively weakening a deck that uses Storm Colossus.

I hope this gets people to think more about what they pick, however this situation isn't ideal for everyone.
It should be possible to play Colossus in a dual shard deck, 3 tres isn't that hard to have by the time you got 7 resources on the field. Also he should still be able to get a reasonable amount of sapphire cards for the sapphire side of his deck since every booster has more than 1 sapphire card in it. In the end you're crippling yourself to put the person next to you at a minor disadvantage.

Aradon
10-19-2013, 01:09 PM
I'll mock up another pack sometime soon, and post a new thread. I'll try and get one that isn't dominated by a solid rare, so there's some more thought to the discussion.

As for putting players to your left into a color, with the intention of then cutting them off of that color, it's a very mixed strategy that I personally don't find very effective. On the one hand, you pick a suboptimal card and pass the stronger card. If you remain in blue, you'll be better off with the Colossus (though Polymorph's pretty sweet), but you're trading that to gain the knowledge that the player to your left will be in blue. Next, you plan to pick all the blue cards, which means that player is going to not receive any more blue. Instead, they'll probably just move out of blue, meaning they'll spend a high pick on a bomb rare that they might not include. If this happens, you'd have been better off just picking the card you preferred, since you end up not influencing the player down the line.

On the other hand, if that player does try to play blue and receives sub-optimal cards all pack one, but they stay in blue, they are passing to you all of pack 2, meaning you'll be receiving suboptimal cards for that pack. It cuts both ways. The thing is, you'll be playing your deck every game, and you'll play against their deck only a few games, if any. Hurting their deck is a much lower priority than making a strong deck. Ideally, you want to be out of the colors to your left and right, so an ideal draft pod would have colors spread pretty evenly and spaced apart. This way, everyone gets a pretty strong deck. The way signalling works is that early on, you try and make it apparent to people to your left that you are in X color, so they get out of that color. This pays off in pack 2, giving you quite a few more good cards, while few players will actually go out of their way to hate out specific cards in your color rather than picking a strong card for themselves.

HyenaNipples
10-19-2013, 05:48 PM
I have no competitive history behind my opinions. I'm essentially a scholar- a person who claims only booksmarts, not streetsmarts. However, I do not believe any of the "advanced tactics" of influencing other members of the draft have any tangible merit. Why? Because they are all entirely dependent on the actions of other human beings. This is forever a realm of fantastic variables. This is a realm that cannot be mapped.

Storm Colussus is a bomb. An evasion troop. And a strong one. Plus- IT IS IMMUNE TO NEARLY ALL REMOVAL.

I don't feel there is any valid debate here, save debate created simply for the sake of debate.

Sachan
10-24-2013, 07:31 AM
I agree that Storm Colussus is a GREAT troop but in a draft situation aren't you committing to a single colour really quickly if you pick it?

Aradon
10-24-2013, 10:54 AM
I agree that Storm Colussus is a GREAT troop but in a draft situation aren't you committing to a single colour really quickly if you pick it?

You don't have to commit to any color for quite a few picks. If you end up doing better in a non-blue color, you can abandon your first pick pretty readily. In general, it's more important to get into whatever color(s) are available than it is to stick to your first-pick bomb. And in a two-color deck, it shouldn't be hard to cast Storm Colossus. 3 out of 7 resources being blue is less than half, so it's pretty likely that by the time you reach your seventh resource, you'll have the thresholds you need. This becomes less likely if you splash a third color, but that's just something to keep in mind.

So no, I don't think Storm Colossus commits you to any one color any more than any other first-pick would.

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Also, having a slight pack control advantage over the next guy really sucks when your first pick can't remove the one you passed him.

Hollywood
10-25-2013, 10:41 AM
1. Colossus
2. Polymorph
3. Pyromancer

If you were sure to be the only Inspire drafter at the table then you could move Pyromancer up to 2 and maybe even 1. But given how strong a draft strategy Inspire is it isn't likely that you'll be the only Inspire drafter.

kodra
10-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Storm Colossus does seem like the clear choice, but depending on who you are drafting with you might want to send a clear tell to your adjacent partner, grabbing Ruby Pyromancer might not be bad. If you take colossus and pass a polymorph, they might grab that polymorph and get committed into blue which will be bad for them and for you (because they will cut from pack 2). Grabbing Ruby Pyromancer and passing Colossus / Polymorph sends a really strong "I'm not in blue" signal.

Since most tournaments mean your opponents on the left and right will only show up in the last rounds after you've secured packs, you should always try to get on board with them so you stop cutting each other.

Demondred
10-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Ruby Pyromancer.

Passing on the Polymorph because it's the first pick in a draft and selecting it is anticipation of DOOM showing up that can be handled by no other strategy. It's a single use get out of jail card that comes late as a counter to trumps, as opposed to simply picking up a trump yourself (the Colossus). However, I'm turning down the colossus as well because as this is the first pick, I have no idea if I can make it work yet. Some say 7 cost isn't high... in a draft style tournament where your defenses will be paltry at best, you can take an obscene amount of damage by the seventh resource. As this is an MTG-style game, draws are not entirely troop and action based to bolster your defenses, so resource cards will exist to slow down the momentum of any deck potentially leaving even weaker defenses in your field by the time the colossus is played. It makes for a great late game play, but by then you may already be hurting badly due to a poor early game, especially if Sapphire is your major gem pick. The enemy may have bombs of his own as well, which while unlikely to counter the flyer may be hazardous enough to put a muzzle on him and force defensive play due to health differences.

Instead, till I see a few packs and what strategies I can expect to be played, I'll focus on the more generic brand of early game ownership with a card that beefs up nearly every troop in the game, creates potential for strong rushes that come well before any Colossus sees play, and has an affordable cost that can be splashed with any deck idea that comes to fruition. Unlike MTG, the Hex monsters are also quite tame in power levels, so that one stat swing can make a large difference in turning cheap troops into efficient trades and maintaining board dominance as the enemy is whittled down by slightly more dangerous troops.

As pointed out, since it's draft we can expect a lot of commons and very few rares, so creature strength will be at an all time low. Just as an example, the pack itself that we're drafting from has only ONE creature above an attack strength of 2, and it's the 7-cost late bloomer. With such weak packs and creatures expected to come our way, adding +1 attack to nearly every troop I play is well worth the pick.

funktion
10-27-2013, 02:04 AM
Storm Colossus beats out the rest of the pack by quite a bit for me. Also, I think people are overrating polymorph, it's just too slow for me to want to grab it this early.

jgsugden
11-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Storm Colossus, Ruby Lance, Polymorph Diggler, Necessary Sacrifice, Ruby Pyromancer, Moon'aru Sensei, Noble Citizenry, Effigy of Nulzann, Blood Cauldron Ritualist, Wrathseeker, Bravery, Field of Poppies, Crimson Clarity, Misfortune, Mortar Strike