PDA

View Full Version : Gas Troll is as good if not better than Tarmogoyf Discuss!

Errantsquire
10-17-2013, 07:04 PM
As per the title.

MastrFett
10-17-2013, 07:04 PM
/agree

vulture27
10-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Well,

It is clearly bugged right now and wont work that way come release.....

It only works in a specific two shard deck....

I'm going with no. But obviously it is extremely overpowered in the alpha.

Aradon
10-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I disagree. Only works in a 2-color deck. You can put Goyf in any deck with green in it, as long as the card pool is deep enough to contain good instants, sorceries, and fetchlands, etc. Discussing Goyf's power level is hard, because he wouldn't be as amazing in Hex's current environment, or in MtG's standard right now. Basically, though, Gas Troll is a niche card for a specific deck, while Goyf, like Dark Confidant, is playable in many, many decks. Not having actually played with either of the cards, though, it's hard for me to say for certain.

Troll shouldn't trigger off ruby sources, though, in my opinion. It's kind of funny, since I asked about the coloration of sources in a Questions thread just prior to the alpha, and people dismissed it. Turns out it was actually important.

LargoLaGrande
10-17-2013, 08:11 PM
Gas troll can be more explosive, but that's about it. Goyf is far more versatile; it's actually a mono-color creature, can be played in control and midrange decks and is actually good after turn 4

Errantsquire
10-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Gas troll can be more explosive, but that's about it. Goyf is far more versatile; it's actually a mono-color creature, can be played in control and midrange decks and is actually good after turn 4

All good points. That was the point I made tonight on the HexTCGPro cast. Goyf is good all game whereas troll is great at the beginning of the game. But they both have combat tricks for sure, and they're both a really cheap big bodies.

Nlarge
10-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Well,

It is clearly bugged right now and wont work that way come release.....

I don't think that it is bugged, I believe that it says when you play a red card (not specifically a red spell), so doesn't that mean it works like the staffs in mtg which trigger off of lands, Right?

LargoLaGrande
10-17-2013, 09:38 PM
It depends on if CZE intend the resources to have a color or not. Mountains in MTG aren't red, and Gas Troll seems like it would be beyond stupid if you could trigger off of Ruby shards which is why most people (including me) think it's bugged.

Nlarge
10-17-2013, 09:46 PM
I get what you're saying, but IIRC in the Duels of the planeswalkers if you use a staff you gain health when you play the resource and it says when you play a red card (so regardless of if the mountain is red or not it triggers because its a red card?). Idk, you're right depends on CZE. Still not that OP imo.

LargoLaGrande
10-17-2013, 10:35 PM
I get what you're saying, but IIRC in the Duels of the planeswalkers if you use a staff you gain health when you play the resource and it says when you play a red card (so regardless of if the mountain is red or not it triggers because its a red card?). Idk, you're right depends on CZE. Still not that OP imo.

The Staves of the Magus (http://magiccards.info/query?q=staff+of+the+magus) all trigger specifically on X colored spell or land type associated with that spell.

WWKnight
10-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Gas troll can be more explosive

Winning comment right there.

Eierdotter
10-18-2013, 03:26 AM
thats a weird question...
Gas Troll is op in early game (growing nearly every turn after played...)
Tarmogoyf is strong in mid-late game (capped at 8/9 for 2)

i vote for Gas Troll