PDA

View Full Version : ALPHA Metagame Decklists

Eierdotter
10-18-2013, 03:39 AM
i think it would be cool to have a place where the current metadecklists are listed, for the several patches.
Interresting how some decks are very strong without other cards revealed. (Decks that abuse gamebreaking bugs, like turn 2 sliver of the immortal spear win, are not viable for this list)

ALPHA Timeline

Week 41-43, Wave1
(additional information...no gems, some cards crash game,...)
Available Cards (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=2847)
Decklists:
-Ruby/Wild-Aggro (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3341)
-Blood/Diamond-Demented Escalation (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3342)
-Wild-RampFist (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3343)
-Ruby-Aggro (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3344)
-Sapphire/Blood-Control (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3345)
-Sapphire/Wild-Aggro (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3346)
-Diamond/Ruby-Escalation (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3347)

Week 43-45, Wave2
(Gems added, Champion power only once per game)
Available Cards (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3436)
Decklists:
- Blood/Diamond-Control

Week 45-47, Wave3
(Champs working, Crash of Beasts working, Bottled Vitae cost buff, scout in, stack nerf/change)
Available Cards (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3665)
Decklists:
- Blood/Wild-Aggro
- Wild-Aggro
- Blood/Diamond-Control
-Ruby/Wild-Aggro (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3341)
-Blood/Diamond-Demented Escalation (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3342)
-Wild-RampFist (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3343)
-Ruby-Aggro (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3344)
-Sapphire/Blood-Control (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3345)
-Sapphire/Wild-Aggro (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3346)
-Diamond/Ruby-Escalation (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3347)

-----------------------------------

Week 47-X, Wave4
(All In, 815b)
Available Cards
Decklists:
-
-
-
Week X-Y, BETA (???)
Available Cards
Decklists:

escapeRoute
10-18-2013, 05:26 AM
guys, i dont know why u use these short codes like w for wild and r for ruby... cant u simply call them Green Red White Black (or Purle) and Blue?

its so damn annoying and confusing right now... its like in magic a white red aggro deck would be called a P/M Aggro (plains mountains)...

cmon...

also, some of my friends have the same confusion prolbems.. everytime i see a R for ruby and i see a B i think of blue... for sure not blood XD

darkwonders
10-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Except in MTG B is black and U is blue, so you're still wrong :p

escapeRoute
10-18-2013, 06:55 AM
cause they both start with b but here we have purple and blue so i guess we will be fine :P

HyenaNipples
10-18-2013, 08:56 AM
Five letters is not a taxation of the memory. Now is the time to get used to a new system, anyway.

darkwonders
10-18-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm always going to call it blood so I can keep my deck name Blood Burn :)

Juve
10-18-2013, 10:36 AM
i dont know much about MTG lore, but i think that "magic" in mtg is name after colors so black magic, blue magic (not island, or mountian magic) right? correct me if im wrong.

and in hex we have wild magic,blood magic and so on

The_Wine_Gnat
10-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Five letters is not a taxation of the memory. Now is the time to get used to a new system, anyway.

So happy someone pointed this out. +1

Eierdotter
10-18-2013, 12:03 PM
at first i wrote R/G aggro, etc. then i remembered we are in hex and changed the colours to the shardnames

btw in MTG a plain gives you a white mana, the colours have the name of the colours and not the names of their respective basic land

these terms are only confusing if you mix them, if we all stick to HEX terms we are fine.

Edit: someone got constructive replys?

vulture27
10-18-2013, 12:17 PM
The five decks you mentioned seem like a good start. I haven't seen any others performing particularly well in the alpha.

Edit: On second thought, maybe B/R Orcs as a 6th? The inspire deck seems weak and easily disrupted. I haven't seen anyone try sapphire aggro/tempo but I dont think it can keep up with the others mentioned.

Eierdotter
10-18-2013, 12:34 PM
inspire will be viable as soon as blessing the fallen is working

Juve
10-18-2013, 12:34 PM
I haven't seen anyone try sapphire aggro/tempo but I dont think it can keep up with the others mentioned.

coz all the good cards for that deck arent in alpha yet, or dont work.

inkubator
10-19-2013, 06:53 AM
I think sapphire/wild is a solid deck as well. Spirit Dance is very good with Stargazer. It's really underestimated right now.

nekoangel
10-19-2013, 12:06 PM
guys, i dont know why u use these short codes like w for wild and r for ruby... cant u simply call them Green Red White Black (or Purle) and Blue?

its so damn annoying and confusing right now... its like in magic a white red aggro deck would be called a P/M Aggro (plains mountains)...

cmon...

also, some of my friends have the same confusion prolbems.. everytime i see a R for ruby and i see a B i think of blue... for sure not blood XD

well considering that R,W,B,U,G are the first letter of each colours name ( blue is the exception) and W,B,D,R,S are the hex equivalent it seems correct.

colours are a fundamental part of magics system for protections etc so referring to them as acurately as possible helps and this will be the same for hex ( gas troll refers to ruby cards not red cards).

try playing solforge where there are only 4 factions......

ive watched a few games now and im impressed with spirit dance after a chlorophyll and backed with ancestors chosen.

nothing seems run away atm but i havent seen escalation in action.

Verdant
10-21-2013, 01:58 AM
S/R mill-burn escalation deck seems like a lot of fun to play with. Don't know about viability though.

Eierdotter
10-21-2013, 02:59 AM
i think it is really funny how D (Diamond) is not a viable colour,
due to lifedrain not working and Soul Marble not in the cardpool^^

malloc31
10-21-2013, 11:55 AM
well considering that R,W,B,U,G are the first letter of each colours name ( blue is the exception) and W,B,D,R,S are the hex equivalent it seems correct.

colours are a fundamental part of magics system for protections etc so referring to them as acurately as possible helps and this will be the same for hex ( gas troll refers to ruby cards not red cards).

try playing solforge where there are only 4 factions......

ive watched a few games now and im impressed with spirit dance after a chlorophyll and backed with ancestors chosen.

nothing seems run away atm but i haven't seen escalation in action.

This is not really true. This is more like calling the magic colors F (forest), P (plains), S (swamp), I (island), and M (mountain), because when I look at a green card that you need to use a wild resource to play it still looks like a green card to me.

DeusPhasmatis
10-21-2013, 01:57 PM
This is not really true. This is more like calling the magic colors F (forest), P (plains), S (swamp), I (island), and M (mountain), because when I look at a green card that you need to use a wild resource to play it still looks like a green card to me.

It really isn't. In MtG, the colors are keywords. The "red" cards are actually of keyword type Red, and this will interact with effects that check for Red cards (like "Protection from Red"). In Hex, Ruby is both a keyword for card type (i.e. Savage Raider is literally of keyword type Ruby), but also the name of the basic resource that produces a Ruby threshold/shard.

It's more like naming the basic lands in MtG the color mana they produce (i.e. Red instead of Mountain, White instead of Plains, etc...).

darkwonders
10-21-2013, 02:09 PM
i think it is really funny how D (Diamond) is not a viable colour,
due to lifedrain not working and Soul Marble not in the cardpool^^

Diamond is a great defending deck. That single resource card that adds 8/8 to a defending creature is great for destroying pretty much any huge monster thrown at you. Plus it has a 1/1 1 resource flying, and a 1/1 troop that you can tap to add 1/1 to any creature for the turn.

that essentially gives you a 2/2 creature w/ flying for only 2 resources! Then you got the pacifist card that prevent a creature from attacking/blocking and the invincible 0/1 creature that can be buffed with plenty of inspirations as she's a cost 3, you can make quite the viable diamond deck.

It's actually quite surprising there aren't more diamond decks as they combo nicely with every other shard. (inspiration from ruby and sapphire. Flying boost with sapphire. Creature destruction with ruby. Creature boosting with wild. And card destruction to pave the way with blood)

Typhon
10-21-2013, 08:20 PM
inspire will be viable as soon as blessing the fallen is working

Inspire is still viable even with Blessing and the Legionnaire bug.

Dropbear
10-22-2013, 02:49 AM
I recommend saying "Ruby Wild Aggro" "Blood Diamond Demented Escalation" etc due to the fact people don't have RSDWB stuck in their mind yet.

Sapphire Ruby Burn Mill seems to be played around with.

Eierdotter
10-28-2013, 08:07 AM
update to wave2

wave1 got lists for played cards in each decktype

Zarien
10-29-2013, 01:51 AM
I haven't seen mentioned the good decks in here. I don't know if its because we're holding our favorites close to our heart. Or if just apathy. Tempted to bring to light one of mine.

Eierdotter
10-29-2013, 02:01 AM
feel free to post these "good" decks, that i have not heard of/seen ever.

Vengus
10-31-2013, 05:43 AM
Blood/X control decks are currently on top. Most people seem to run it right now.

Damascus
11-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Blood/X control decks are currently on top. Most people seem to run it right now.

I'm having really great luck so far with blood/ruby control

Werlix
11-05-2013, 08:38 PM

Yeah, seems like Extinction & Murder are just too efficient in the format...

kormai
11-06-2013, 03:44 AM
Been seeing alot of other decks nowadays also. Blood/x doesnt always come out top. They are quite powerfull though.

Zarien
11-07-2013, 01:33 PM
feel free to post these "good" decks, that i have not heard of/seen ever.

The list is missing plenty of decks, or it has a more cluttered version, for example the current blood/sapphire control deck on the list with sabotage (not saying it's bad, just cluttered, for example "terrible transfer"). Or the lack of ruby/blood control on the list.

I was remarking on the fact that there are a sleuth of other decks i've seen/faced that i'm surprised noones included on the list. I'm personally one of the selfish ones holding his decks close to the chest, I was just surprised others that aren't as selfish as I hadn't chimed in yet. Especially with the newer waves.

Xallista
11-09-2013, 11:32 AM
The list is missing plenty of decks, or it has a more cluttered version, for example the current blood/sapphire control deck on the list with sabotage (not saying it's bad, just cluttered, for example "terrible transfer"). Or the lack of ruby/blood control on the list.

I was remarking on the fact that there are a sleuth of other decks i've seen/faced that i'm surprised noones included on the list. I'm personally one of the selfish ones holding his decks close to the chest, I was just surprised others that aren't as selfish as I hadn't chimed in yet. Especially with the newer waves.
While not entirely relevant to the question you were answering, you've further proved the point that made above that most decks that do well consistently (as of the current card selections) are of Blood/x variety due to the massive removals.

The other contender for a shard type with good/decent removals is Ruby, since burn is a cheap 1 cost/2 damage quick spell that kills of a lot of things in this format, and heatwave being a mini extinction against low health troops as well. There's also Ragefire, one of the top escalation spell in hex currently (the other being crash of beasts IMO).

And then you combine Blood+Ruby...

We should see more variety in "top decks" once the removals of the other non-blood cards increase/improve. Till then, Blood is the dominating shard to use.

Zarien
11-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I would agree, Blood/anything is pretty strong currently if made right. Thats why I was surprised to not see a deck like Ruby/Blood control on here, or any form of ruby/blood. I think other control decks are going to shine more, because of stuff like counter-magic, and because of more answers to cards like fists, but ruby/blood is definitely the best answer so far to any kind of rush deck and a lot of other types. Should be interesting to see what the meta transforms into once we get all of the cards and what people are playing in the long run.

I personally already have mine picked out, unless there are major card changes before then that effects it. But it should still be interesting to see how cards like vampire/counter/and some of the other bigger guys change the field.

Eierdotter
11-09-2013, 01:24 PM
blood/ruby control has... no answer to a fist

of course B/R is strong against aggro, funny, that B/R is a strong aggro shard too.

i am not including every deck type on thsi list, only the ones i think are very strong.
also i do not write full 60 card decklists, rather i show the used cards. some are 4ofs some are 1ofs, some people might not include 1 of them. but the cards that have a reson to be in the deck are listed (for example in wild, someone prefers honeycap someone else teh hydra or teh squirrel titan)

Zarien
11-09-2013, 01:38 PM
I had already mentioned it had no answer to fists, but neither do half the decks, and if fists isn't part of the meta competitively, that won't really matter then. It's still more viable than some of the decks that have been listed. Which is why I was surprised it wasn't up there.

Xallista
11-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Only cards I can think of at the moment that can counter Fist would be Inner Fire (Diamond), the bounce cards (Buccaneer and Time Ripple from Sapphire), and void cards (mainly Chaos Key). Buccaneers and Ripple aren't that reliable IMO, considering how decks that run Fist (and can get them out in a reliable fashion) usually are pure or Wild/Splash X (heavy wild).

Pure wild decks have 0 reliable removal cards, and splashing Murder is just not going to cut it. A 50Wild/50Blood just can't really get Fist out consistently.

And you forget, Blood has Life Siphon and Ruby has Ragefire/Burn to the Ground for direct burn. Instead of getting rid of it, you just burn the champion down. No denying that Fist is one of the toughest cards to deal with.

Eierdotter
11-09-2013, 04:51 PM
vs Fist

No shard: Void Key, Eternal Guardian
Wild: several ways to buff a troop +8/+8 to be a viable blocker (for example root dancer, or honeycap)
Ruby: lucky discard
Blood: lucky discard
Diamond: Inner Conflict, radiant armor, angelic ascension
Sapphire: Bouncing, exhausting, Mesmerize, dingler, mimic

Zarien
11-09-2013, 09:08 PM
vs Fist

No shard: Void Key, Eternal Guardian
Wild: several ways to buff a troop +8/+8 to be a viable blocker (for example root dancer, or honeycap)
Ruby: lucky discard
Blood: lucky discard
Diamond: Inner Conflict, radiant armor, angelic ascension
Sapphire: Bouncing, exhausting, Mesmerize, dingler, mimic

Kind of bending stuff to fit your argument unfairly there. If you're going to count a 2 card scenario like gigantify, you might as well count tomb lord as well. or malice demon, and you're ignoring omen of oblivion as well once it's in.

Mimic will work for one turn but then you guys are just trading blows. And the only real usable card out of diamond is inner conflict as a counter in a constructed deck (we would maybe see the others in limited of course).

If a ruby/blood control deck comes face to face against a fist, you're still pretty much in the same boat as most of the other decks, except at least you can still feed a lot of direct damage in return to your opponent. One deck type, based on 1 card, doesn't void the effectiveness of a deck like ruby/blood is what we were basically getting at.

Eierdotter
11-10-2013, 06:17 AM
well the reason Wild is able to put out a viable blocker for the Fist is, that wild has the ramp to do so.
for example a 8/8 honeycap is like twice as fast out in play then a tomblord in blood.

i ignored sort of all not yet in alpha cards^^

But as you say, Blood/Ruby Control is very strong against creature based decks.

Baldo
11-10-2013, 10:20 AM
My mono-sapphire aggro/tempo has been fairing pretty well, though air superiority hasn't worked 100% of the time. Weak to extinction certainly.

Eierdotter
11-20-2013, 02:42 AM
quick update to the timeline
excited about the announced 10 new cards!

Damascus
11-20-2013, 12:22 PM
How are mono-ruby and blood/diamond control not on this? Did OP watch the tourney of streamers?

Eierdotter
11-21-2013, 02:32 AM
mono Ruby = Ruby Aggro

added
Blood/Diamond-Control (Wave 2)
thanks for the remonder (i only glanced at the decklists and thought B/D demented was B/D Control, should probably have read the whole name^^, since these two decks have a significant difference.)

Vengus
11-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Expect some major metagame changes with the latest patch.

Eierdotter
11-21-2013, 05:37 PM
ohh yes, complete rework for each deck needed.

i deleted every deck i had to start from scratch^^

Juix
11-22-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm finding a mono-wild Fist deck to be uberpowered. Even against R/B I've been able to get out 2 or 3 fists, or just some beefy creatures. Having 8 or 9 resources by the 4th or 5th turn was a little absurd. Or a 8/8 on turn 3 (which I'll admit was super lucky).

escapeRoute
11-22-2013, 05:25 PM
the problem is the 2 shard card, chlorophille something ... even on magic... u cant have that for less than 5 mana..

there was the kodamas reach that gave u 2 mana.. but one was on the floor tapped and the other one was in ur hand... not both into play at the same time

they could try changing it so that it gives u 0/2 but not 2 threshold... and if that is not enough they should make it actually give ua 0/1 and a shard in ur hand

Leingod
11-22-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm more interested to see if it is strong because of the ramp or simply because of what you ramp into. Would it be as strong ramping into turn 3 jadiim or battle beetle since those will probably be the next most common big boys besides fist

Eierdotter
11-23-2013, 04:47 PM
the problem is the 2 shard card, chlorophille something ... even on magic... u cant have that for less than 5 mana..

there was the kodamas reach that gave u 2 mana.. but one was on the floor tapped and the other one was in ur hand... not both into play at the same time

they could try changing it so that it gives u 0/2 but not 2 threshold... and if that is not enough they should make it actually give ua 0/1 and a shard in ur hand

chlorophylia increases your resource by +0/+2 and your threshhold by (WW)
Kodamas Reach, thinns your deck by 2 Lands in addition to the +0/+1 and 1 Land in hand

so i think thats fine for the cost

escapeRoute
11-23-2013, 05:05 PM
chlorophylia increases your resource by +0/+2 and your threshhold by (WW)
Kodamas Reach, thinns your deck by 2 Lands in addition to the +0/+1 and 1 Land in hand

so i think thats fine for the cost

but the best u could play with kodama's reach, when it came out, was 5/3 with crush and spellshield... its a bit different in the meta, u must agree, and still it didnt give u the ability to rise ur mana by 3 from one turn to another, but just of 2