PDA

View Full Version : Question: Blessing the Fallen

wutae
10-18-2013, 11:36 AM
As per title a question about the "Blessing the Fallen",

The card text says: Troops you control are inspired by troops with Inspire in your graveyard as though they were in play.

I pressume that whenever i cast a creature spell, it is inspired not only by creatures in game, but by games in graveyard as well.

But if you take the text literally i understand, that it affects creatures that are already in game before the card was casted.

Can someone please clarify this?

Thanks in advance.

Shadowelf
10-18-2013, 11:48 AM
What the card does, the way it is worded, is allowing inspire triggers between both the eligible troops you cast and those eligible troops already on the battlefield.

wutae
10-18-2013, 11:56 AM
maybe you mean in graveyard? er you dont make sense as your current sentence is

HyenaNipples
10-18-2013, 11:58 AM
What the card does, the way it is worded, is allowing inspire triggers between both the eligible troops you cast and those eligible troops already on the battlefield.

My interpretation is a bit different: since "As a troop of equal cost to or greater than this troop's cost comes into play" is an integral phrase to the action of "being inspired," Blessing of the Fallen would NOT positively benefit troops which are already in play.

BossHoss
10-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Blessing of the Fallen keeps the Inspire trigger in play from all cards in the graveyard.

Ex.
Kraken Guard Mariner, Protectorate Clergyman, and Ruby Pyromancer are all in your graveyard
Your battlefield contains Lord Alexander
You cast Blessing of the Fallen: Lord Alexander is not buffed by this effect.
Your battlefield now contains Lord Alexander (Unbuffed) and "invisible non existent ghosts" of Inspire triggers from your graveyard
You cast Ruby pyromancer: It gains +1/+0 from the Pyromancer Inspire effect in the Graveyard and +0/+1 from the Kraken Guard Inspire effect in the graveyard. It does not gain from Lord Alexander or the Protectorate Clergyman

If you were to cast a "3 drop" next it would be Inspired by all of the above

Shadowelf
10-18-2013, 12:47 PM
I interpreted the card in mtg rules/terms where 'creatures you control' usually refers to creatures you have at your side of the battlefield. For example if you have Lord Alexander (http://www.hex-datamine.com/cards/Lord-Alexander,-the-Courageous/img/dl_cards/LordAlexander.jpg) in the graveyard, and you have Phoenix Guard trainer (http://www.hex-datamine.com/cards/Phoenix-Guard-Trainer/img/dl_cards/PhoenixGuardTrainer.jpg) (eligiblle for trigger since it has a cost of 5) on the battlefield, then upon casting Blessing of the Fallen (http://www.hex-datamine.com/cards/Blessing-the-Fallen/img/dl_cards/a7yX0MB.jpg), Phoenix Guard will benefit from Lord Alexander's inspire effect. Similarly troops you cast (with cost 3 or higher) will also benefit from the Blessing when entering the battlefield.

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 08:28 PM
But the kicker is the "As though they were in play" and the inspire would only trigger upon entering the battlefield if they were in play.

Eierdotter
10-25-2013, 01:33 AM
wording is a bit confusing here indeed.
original card text:
"Troops you control are Inspired by troops with Inspire in your graveyard as though they where in play."

this indicates, that after casting Blessing the Fallen, all your troops grow bigger as tehy instantly get inspired by troops in your graveyard. this contradicts with the wording from Inspire, that says "when a troop enters play".

better wording IMO:
"When troops enter play under your control, they are Inspired by troops with Inspire in your graveyard as though they where in play."
This wording includes Mimic, Charge Power, creating. and excludes troops already in play.

Paradigm
10-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Phoenix Guard will benefit from Lord Alexander's inspire effect. Similarly troops you cast (with cost 3 or higher) will also benefit from the Blessing when entering the battlefield.

Inspire effects only ever apply when a specific event occurs. That event is clearly stated.

"As a troop with cost equal to or greater than this troop's cost enters play under your control, it gains permanent X"

There is nothing on "Blessings of the fallen" to imply that it changes how the inspire ability works, only that it allows troops in the graveyard to inspire as if they were in play.

wording is a bit confusing here indeed.

It seems fine to me. Again, the INSPIRE ability only applies when creatures are coming into play. If a creature is not coming into play, it is not being inspired.

No matter what anyone argues the way inspire works doesn't change.

HyenaNipples
10-29-2013, 08:41 PM
I think we can all agree that there is some ambiguity here that needs to be addressed.

Paradigm
10-30-2013, 01:14 PM
I think we can all agree that there is some ambiguity here that needs to be addressed.

True. Wording that took interpretation out of the question would be nice.