PDA

View Full Version : Purple post by Cory

Soldack
10-18-2013, 02:52 PM
In case you missed it buried deep in the Alpha Update thread...

"we are actively trying to fix the things we have found that create show stopping events, we are working hard on it and we are getting close, as soon as we have this figured out we will bring in more people, it should be soon"

SO good news!

Mahes
10-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Dear Cory,

As you know through having worked with them, "Soon" is a Trademark word owned by Blizzard. It is a word used to express hope only to be doomed by reality that it is never as quickly as people want it to be. Perhaps we should use words like " Quick or Rapid instead, so as to not have that good ole Blizzard feel of doom associated with it. I find words like presently or instantly indicate a time that implies more of a now state and thus should not be considered.

Thankyou,
A long time Blizzard game player

copulat0r
10-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Dear Cory,

As you know through having worked with them, "Soon" is a Trademark word owned by Blizzard. It is a word used to express hope only to be doomed by reality that it is never as quickly as people want it to be. Perhaps we should use words like " Quick or Rapid instead, so as to not have that good ole Blizzard feel of doom associated with it. I find words like presently or instantly indicate a time that implies more of a now state and thus should not be considered.

Thankyou,
A long time Blizzard game player
I second this statement. However, as a long time cze fan, I'm hoping for something differe

Deckofmanythings
10-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Blizz didn't have a monopoly on Soon(TM), we City of Heroes devs used it before they did :)

Massabik
10-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Verant and Sony have been using it for a long time with EQ also :p

ossuary
10-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Discworld MUD creators literally used the phrase "Soon(tm)" whenever anyone would ask when Feature X was going to be ready... that was 20 years ago. Sorry, Johnny-come-lately. :)

jetah
10-18-2013, 04:36 PM
according to the US trademark search "soon" isn't owned by anyone. but feel free to prove me differently.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4808%3Ao81adr.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=soon&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA2%24COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

MoikPEI
10-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Your search has expired. Either case, "Soon" is wordmarked by like ten different Korean companies, some of which are still active.

eSquared
10-18-2013, 04:56 PM
according to the US trademark search "soon" isn't owned by anyone. but feel free to prove me differently.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=toc&state=4808%3Ao81adr.1.1&p_search=searchss&p_L=50&BackReference=&p_plural=yes&p_s_PARA1=&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA1%24LD&expr=PARA1+AND+PARA2&p_s_PARA2=soon&p_tagrepl~%3A=PARA2%24COMB&p_op_ALL=AND&a_default=search&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

Wow. I bet you're a blast at office parties.

This post is trademarked, by the way.

JakeFreedom
10-18-2013, 04:58 PM
How deep could it possibly be buried if it is a new post? Or is this an old post?

Shadowelf
10-18-2013, 05:08 PM
How deep could it possibly be buried if it is a new post? Or is this an old post?

It's not an old post, but soon to be buried, as it was posted in the 8th page of a random thread ;)

no no no...
we are actively trying to fix the things we have found that create show stopping events, we are working hard on it and we are getting close, as soon as we have this figured out we will bring in more people, it should be soon

JakeFreedom
10-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Ahh gotcha, I try to keep updated on most things. But obviously missed this one. Certainly will have to add the "PURPLE POST" in my HEX update Saturday.

juggernaut
10-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Isn't "soon" when then will be now?

Soldack
10-18-2013, 06:19 PM
It's not an old post, but soon to be buried, as it was posted in the 8th page of a random thread ;)

That's why I felt it deserved its own thread....

Like Moses speaking from the mountain top....

JakeFreedom
10-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Isn't "soon" when then will be now?

Now will be soon. You are currently looking at now now!

jetah
10-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Wow. I bet you're a blast at office parties.

This post is trademarked, by the way.

what's an office?

--

upon looking at the complete list of trademarks, "soon" as a word isn't trademarked by anyone in the US.
http://tess2.uspto.gov/ImageAgent/ImageAgentProxy?getImage=74034172
is the only version of soon that I could find that hasn't been abandoned or canceled.

I only was curious if Blizzard actually had the trademark. I know Eve Online (CCP) was suppose to have it but it doesn't look like anyone has it in the US.

In terms of most interpretations it's: "sometime between now and the end of the world".

Commoble
10-18-2013, 08:53 PM
In terms of most interpretations it's: "sometime between now and the end of the world".

Valve has that one trademarked.