PDA

View Full Version : Cory's Note Speculation

knightofeffect
10-18-2013, 04:51 PM
From Kickstarter Update #52:
"Hi Everyone! So I wanted to jump in and let you know that we have some exciting news coming next week, and before the inevitable “what it all means” questions come up, let me say: Is important for Cryptozoic to “know what you don’t know.”

I have seen to many projects fail because the group in charge thought they knew it all. Well, we don’t know it all, and if we are going to set ourselves up for success we need to make sure we have every possible issue thought through with a solution in place. So stay tuned, and expect me to give you all the details after the announcement.

Love,

Cory"

Well this certainly seems interesting and... well, cryptic. I thought I'd take a jab at trying to figure some of it out:

"what it all means" - I think this implies that it will be something fundamental to the game or development process, something that will have far reaching ramifications to the process by which the game is made or enjoyed.

"important for Cryptozoic to know what you don't know" - This could be literally relevant in the cryptic nature of this very note, or be hinting that the reveal will have something to do with expanding Cryptozoic's knowledge in some capacity. Furthermore this would be expanding the knowledge in some way that is not immediately or evidently known by the playerbase of the game(s). This could really be any number of things, but most of which immediately come to mind are particularly technical in nature and I wouldn't classify as "exciting news"

EDIT:

Is important for Cryptozoic to “know what you don’t know.” who is the You in this sentence.

When I first glanced at this update I assumed that "You" in the quotation was referencing the community/user base of HEX (since the update is written and targeted to that group). However, the more I think about this quote it would make sense if the "You" was referring to Cryptozoic.
/EDIT

Now for the meat...
"I have seen to many projects fail because the group in charge thought they knew it all." - The group in charge of this project admits that they don't know it all and are aware enough to avoid the pitfalls of assuming they do.

"if we are going to set ourselves up for success we need to make sure we have every possible issue thought through with a solution in place." - While the group in charge doesn't know it all, they are prepared to take the appropriate steps to ensure they have every base covered as best they can. This suggests some change to the project leadership structure, project workforce expansion, fundamental project organizational change, or some mixture of all of the above. I feel this is the most important line, as it could suggest something pretty dramatic; a big change that will have the effect of better positioning this project for success than it had been. Typically in major projects, this reflects looking for better experience, focus, and vision to ensure that the direction of the project won't be overwhelmed by it's complexity.

Honestly, my take away from all of the above points in one direction. Something within Cryptozoic is changing significantly at a high level. Possibly Hex will be spun off of Cryptozoic into its own company (possibly still a subsidiary of Cypto still like the Hasbro-WotC relationship), possibly Crypto will merge with or be bought out by another company, possibly a combination of both.

EDIT:
Hammer's post makes me really want to lean towards the announcement being about bringing on a surprise industry hire, collaborating with another development group, or a new job series of job postings.

While your interpretation isn't mutually exclusive with my original leaning towards a large organizational change in Crypto, combined with some other's thoughts, it now sounds more like a bringing in of talent or a combining/cooperation of efforts.
/EDIT

Of course there are less dramatic possibilities, such as a large expanse of the work force, contracting away some of the development (becoming all the rave: see Star Citizen), and/or exciting hire/hiring opportunity. Maybe it is talking about engaging the player base in a unique way to test the product. Coincidentally, Cory tweeted about a week and a half ago about a new position besides the community manager coming up in the next update; however, either I missed it or it wasn't in last week's nor this weeks. Could be related to any of the possibilities.

Hopefully I didn't hit the nail on the head if I wasn't supposed to =P. Regardless, you have my attention Cory =).

EDIT: The Elf has spoken

What Hyena and Oss said ;

Could be the new forums/web content they were talking about 2 months ago;

We had some great discussion with the web development folks about features, functionality, usability, and general content that fans will want via web, including the next version of HEXTCG.com. That's all still brewing and a ways out, but once we've dotted our I's and crossed our T's, we'll make that huge announcement.

update #43 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/578359#comments
/EDIT

EDIT: Hex_Colin is a
beautiful bastard, you're such a tease. :)

I'm pretty sure what the announcement is... Bottom line - you should take Cory at his word. It's great news for the game, but it doesn't materially change anything about what we signed up for. Patience :)
/EDIT

MoikPEI
10-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Maybe a new legal position for investigating RMAH?

knightofeffect
10-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Maybe a new legal position for investigating RMAH?

Oooooo, now that is an interesting possibility for a hiring position. With DIII's house closing March 14, 2014, the RMAH waters will become even more rare than they already are.

Atomzed
10-18-2013, 05:25 PM
My suspicion is that they want to talk about the Lord/ Lady Keep naming convention.

While they pushed through with it in the alpha, sufficient people has expressed support and opposition to force them to rethink their basic strategy.

knightofeffect
10-18-2013, 05:55 PM
My suspicion is that they want to talk about the Lord/ Lady Keep naming convention.

While they pushed through with it in the alpha, sufficient people has expressed support and opposition to force them to rethink their basic strategy.

While this is possible, I'm not sure at this point in alpha that would be a major concern for them; although, if creating the alpha account really does lock in the keep name for all time, perhaps time is running out if they are going to make a serious change (For the record, I'm completely fine with how it is).

The tone of Cory's note seems more overarching to me, however. =)

MoikPEI
10-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Could also be a posting for a database security expert.

funktion
10-18-2013, 06:22 PM
It could really be just about anything and is definitely pretty cryptic. Some of my speculation includes:
-Data Collection to see what players want most out of the game
-A fundamental change to some core aspect of the game
-A fundamental change to some core aspect of the company

Really though all that was summed up pretty well by the OP (and then some).

However, I am constantly reminded of Blizzard during the early stages of WoW (up to the first year or so). Blizzard said upon multiple occasions that the game became way more of a phenomenon than they ever expected. That there were some pretty big things they had never considered which either caught them off guard or made it necessary to go back to the drawing board.

Psypher
10-18-2013, 06:35 PM
-A fundamental change to some core aspect of the company

I suspect this. Maybe entering into a new partnership with another company and/or merging assets with another company?

Shrennan
10-18-2013, 06:35 PM
If any change to Crypto itself occurs, then I think the more likely scenario would be spinning Hex off as its own subsidiary within Crypto. It would also be interesting if Crypto hired someone like Richard Garfield moving forward - someone that's a rock star within the TCG development realm to help with the subsidiary.

However, I think the more likely scenario is a new way to determine what players want in terms of the client and account system - which, as was already mentioned, would mostly focus on the naming system at the moment.

What I would personally love is the announcement of the RMAH in development with a legal team in charge of fixing the legal issues involved with it.

It's fun to speculate though! =P

It could really be just about anything and is definitely pretty cryptic.

Oh you

knightofeffect
10-18-2013, 06:45 PM
I suspect this. Maybe entering into a new partnership with another company and/or merging assets with another company?

Yep, my exact gut reaction the first time I read it... then I spent way too much effort spelling it out.

Could just as well be some system to gauge player input and interaction as others have said though too =).

JakeFreedom
10-18-2013, 06:46 PM
We could also speculate that Blizzard purchased the rights to HEX because they see it maybe be a far better game than HearthStone and will delay the project indefinitely? Of course this would be absurd, LOL!

Grumph
10-18-2013, 07:00 PM
I feel like whatever the announcement is, they are expecting it to initially be an unpopular decision. I get this from the statement that it is "Important for Crypto to know what you don't know", which also implies that they have a very good reason for making this decision and that reason will not be disclosed at the time of the announcement.

jetah
10-18-2013, 07:02 PM
They could be deciding between Pizza or Subs for this Wednesday's game night.

The_Wine_Gnat
10-18-2013, 07:17 PM
I feel like whatever the announcement is, they are expecting it to initially be an unpopular decision. I get this from the statement that it is "Important for Crypto to know what you don't know", which also implies that they have a very good reason for making this decision and that reason will not be disclosed at the time of the announcement.

See I interpret that to mean they need more data to make informed decisions. I think they'll be hiring / annoucing either a new data position or letting us know how they are improving the game in a much better way. Could be a new website finally too.

DanTheMeek
10-18-2013, 07:22 PM
They have been sued by and are currently negotiating a settlement with Wizards of the Coast for their game being MtGO with a fresh coat of paint. This is, as Corey put it, exciting news, however, as if their settlement is accepted the result of this is that the game will be renamed MtGO2 and it will merge the two brands into one, with the plethora of hex cards that do the exact same thing as a card already existing in MtG being renamed to their MtG equivalent and Cryptozoic gaining access to other MtG cards for future sets should they wish to add them to MtGO2.

I hope that's not it to be honest but thought I'd thrown in a crazy theory.

DanTheMeek
10-18-2013, 07:27 PM
Ooh how about this for another theory? They've got another resource system, or way of handling the resource system, that they have been tinkering with and are now strongly considering testing out in alpha in place of what they have now, but they don't want to announce any details too soon because if they ultimately decide they don't like it or change their minds it will just cause further discontentment among the many players who've already expressed dissatisfaction with the current system and are only just now coming to grips with the fact that its not going to change.

Then problem with that theory though is that his message implied that one way or another the news is coming next week, but I admit, speculating is kind of fun.

Stok3d
10-18-2013, 07:28 PM
My guess is an updated website and fingers crossed for them being tied to your accounts and new forums. Yeah, I was really excited about the possibilities presented with a prior update mentioning an updated website. Surprised this wasn't one of the first guesses--but it is something I'm excited about!

funktion
10-18-2013, 07:31 PM
My guess is an updated website and fingers crossed for them being tied to your accounts and new forums. Yeah, I was really excited about the possibilities presented with a prior update mentioning an updated website. Surprised this wasn't one of the first guesses--but it is something I'm excited about!

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty anxious to see what's in store as far as the new website goes.

jetah
10-18-2013, 07:31 PM

Well considering how many other MMO's can do it, not sure why CZE couldnt.

Maphalux
10-18-2013, 07:39 PM
Whatever it is, I'm sure when Cory says exciting news that he means just that. It will probably be something that we will be excited to hear. I have to say though, it is diabolical to say "I have some great news but I can't tell you for another week" and then walk away. :P

Xtopher
10-18-2013, 07:39 PM
If it's a merger, please, don't let it be Hasbro.

I don't think it's a merger, though. That sounds the opposite of exciting. I think RMAH is a good bet or on the wild end of the spectrum plans to begin development on a Hex MMORGP.

funktion
10-18-2013, 07:45 PM
If it's a merger, please, don't let it be Hasbro.

I don't think it's a merger, though. That sounds the opposite of exciting. I think RMAH is a good bet or on the wild end of the spectrum plans to begin development on a Hex MMORGP.

WORSE!!! It's going to be a trifecta merger CZE + Zynga + EA

Maphalux
10-18-2013, 07:46 PM
WORSE!!! It's going to be a trifecta merger CZE + Zynga + EA

I hear that's a sign of the end times.

mudkip
10-18-2013, 08:16 PM
They've hired some big name in the industry.

ossuary
10-18-2013, 08:18 PM
They need our help choosing the 4th pizza topping.

Commoble
10-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Valve bought out Hex, I'm calling it now

keldrin
10-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Well, what ever it is, the exciting news that they need to know about, and we don't may mean, feasibility is still being explored. But the fact that they are semi announcing it now, means, that so far whatever it is sounds doable.
So, until the decision is definite, they are holding their hand. But don't want to spring something huge on us, totally unexpected.

So, yeah, it's the 4th pizza topping. I'm suggesting fresh roasted Shin'Hare.

Maphalux
10-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Cerulean Pineapple and Wyldeboar Ham

Xtopher
10-18-2013, 09:40 PM
So, yeah, it's the 4th pizza topping. I'm suggesting fresh roasted Shin'Hare.
Heresy!

Ghii_Zhar
10-18-2013, 09:52 PM
"I know that you believe you understand what you think Cory said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what Cory meant." - R. McCloskey ;)

hammer
10-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Is important for Cryptozoic to “know what you don’t know.” who is the You in this sentence.

When I first glanced at this update I assumed that "You" in the quotation was referencing the community/user base of HEX (since the update is written and targeted to that group). However, the more I think about this quote it would make sense if the "You" was referring to Cryptozoic.

I think this means they are bringing in an individual or a new relationship with a different perspective / skills set to help with a task and make sure that Cryptozoic does something correctly and are shown what they need to know. The fact that Cory refers to this as exciting made me think of HEXCON.

HEXCON is pencilled for 2014 and should really be in the organising stage by now. They probably have a rough idea of what it takes to host such an event but they are not event organisers so there might be pitfalls that they need to know before organising the event. Time spent planning HEXCON is time not spent developing HEX. I am sure Cory mentioned in one of the recent interviews (Shadowelf support ticket 001) that some of the stretch goals created an issue or something of that ilk. HexCon was thrown in at the end of the kickstarter and the magnitude of organising probably not fully realised at the time.

keldrin
10-18-2013, 11:00 PM
It being related to HexCon is a reasonable possibility.
And exciting, may be because they have gotten someone with a lot of experienced in organizing major cons.
Maybe they've got the time slot and location determined.
I'm hoping that CZE will showcase some of their other games at HexCon.

Man does not game on digital card games alone. Man needs board games Like the Walking Dead board game, and Enders Game Battle School

knightofeffect
10-18-2013, 11:05 PM

I think this means they are bringing in an individual or a new relationship with a different perspective / skills set to help with a task and make sure that Cryptozoic does something correctly and are shown what they need to know. The fact that Cory refers to this as exciting made me think of HEXCON.

HEXCON is pencilled for 2014 and should really be in the organising stage by now. They probably have a rough idea of what it takes to host such an event but they are not event organisers so there might be pitfalls that they need to know before organising the event. Time spent planning HEXCON is time not spent developing HEX. I am sure Cory mentioned in one of the recent interviews (Shadowelf support ticket 001) that some of the stretch goals created an issue or something of that ilk. HexCon was thrown in at the end of the kickstarter and the magnitude of organising probably not fully realised at the time.

I think you nailed a major point here. Well done!

This makes me really want to lean towards the announcement being about bringing on a surprise industry hire, collaborating with another development group, or a new job series of job postings.

While your interpretation isn't mutually exclusive with my original leaning towards a large organizational change in Crypto, combined with some other's thoughts, it now sounds more like a bringing in of talent or a combining/cooperation of efforts.

You'd think that Shadowelf would be able to index all previous Cory communications simultaneously in his mind and definitively know what the announcement holds... I expect an incoming post with 20 sound and video clip links providing a flawless forensic analysis of what his post means. (Shadowelf support ticket 002)

Ain't speculation grand? =)

knightofeffect
10-18-2013, 11:09 PM
It being related to HexCon is a reasonable possibility.
And exciting, may be because they have gotten someone with a lot of experienced in organizing major cons.
Maybe they've got the time slot and location determined.
I'm hoping that CZE will showcase some of their other games at HexCon.

Man does not game on digital card games alone. Man needs board games Like the Walking Dead board game, and Enders Game Battle School

Holy sh--... Thanks for pointing me to the fact that Crypto is making a game about battle school. I have recently gotten into board games in a big way (thanks kickstarter) and the Ender series is one of my favorite of all time (don't have high hopes for the movie tho =/). I will definitely be picking up that game.

Tinuvas
10-18-2013, 11:54 PM
Could be something about the novel...I think you might have to shoehorn the logic of it all into place, but it's a possibility.

My money's on the new website idea though.

Ravallian
10-19-2013, 01:10 AM
As long as CZE/Cory remain "in control" of Hex I'm happy.

GhundiPI
10-19-2013, 01:13 AM
Well, I guess it boils down to what makes Cory exited these days (and if we really want to know that...). But one part of the cryptic message that did stuck with me is the "set ourselves up for success" one. So my guess is for a pro-tour announcement, or something like a deal with MLG, with all the coverage that comes with it.

Vengus
10-19-2013, 01:48 AM
Sounds to me like they got bought by a different company or got themselves a publisher.

Gorgol
10-19-2013, 02:39 AM
Sounds to me like they got bought by a different company or got themselves a publisher.
seems likely based on his wording

Ravallian
10-19-2013, 02:52 AM
The "vibe" I got is that CZE got in bed with another company, a co-op and/or partnership type deal., but a full takeover/purchase would really surprise me....in fact anything that will end up with CZE handing over the control of HEX would REALLY surprise me.

Idus
10-19-2013, 03:20 AM
Honestly, this could be anything. But since we're guessing, I wondered if they were going to establish a player reference group.

Vengus
10-19-2013, 03:29 AM
The "vibe" I got is that CZE got in bed with another company, a co-op and/or partnership type deal., but a full takeover/purchase would really surprise me....in fact anything that will end up with CZE handing over the control of HEX would REALLY surprise me.
depends. Often when a company gets bought the CEO stays in charge of his/her company as the lead, but below the boss of the parent company. If they did get bought I hope they didn't make a deal with EA, HEX would be pretty much dead then.

ossuary
10-19-2013, 03:39 AM
It's not a tumor! Or a merger.

keldrin
10-19-2013, 03:41 AM
I seriously doubt it's a merger or take over.

Aradon
10-19-2013, 03:47 AM
Considering how passionate Cory is about his baby, I couldn't see him selling it without having both major concerns about his own ability to manage the game and all its functions as well as obtaining exclusive design rights over controversial areas of business, such as the monetization method and card balance. In other words, he wouldn't risk letting others ruin it. However, that doesn't in my mind rule out the possibility of merging and/or acquisition. The wording definitely seems to suggest that they've found an area of the game business that they're not quite comfortable dealing with, and are considering ways to augment their expertise. Hammer's suggestion about Hexcon seems like a pretty good area that they may not be ready to deal with, and considering they'll be working full steam on the game well into 2014, they don't have much time to throw together a convention.

My hope is that they're working with Penny Arcade to set up a convention. They seem to know a bit about running PAXes :P

wutae
10-19-2013, 05:04 AM
On the other hand, being bought would be pretty strange, because he is supposed to have all the funds he wants through kickstarter, moreover that is the purpose of kickstarter, a game to be funded so it will not need any extra money from another company or from a publisher.

So most likely a merger/buyout is out of question.

wutae
10-19-2013, 05:05 AM
Although having the greenlight from steam is another thing. Steam is taking big bucks and most companies try to avoid it. But it's a huge advertisement and noone can deny that.

Mahes
10-19-2013, 06:19 AM
I think I have it.

Cory just saved 15% by switching to Geiko.

tehhuntre
10-19-2013, 06:23 AM
The fact that Cory knows there are going to be "what it all means" questions is very bothersome. I've followed the development of many MMOs and any time there have been "what it all means" threads it has not been good. I expect merger and based on the rest of the update it should be with a company that is familiar with MMOs or at least online gaming.

For God's Sake, STAY AWAY FROM SOE!

Vengus
10-19-2013, 06:34 AM
And EA, please stay away from EA.

Kami
10-19-2013, 06:43 AM
I really doubt it's a merger. That is not what I constitute as 'exciting news'. If anything, that would worry me.

Let's just assume for now that whatever it is is a good thing. :)

ossuary
10-19-2013, 06:51 AM
I think I have it.

Cory just saved 15% by switching to Geiko.

No, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

HyenaNipples
10-19-2013, 06:52 AM
If it's not a new website/forums, the only other thing I can think of is that the next wave of Alpha invites might be bigger than previously announced?

That or some sort of lore-related release.

GhundiPI
10-19-2013, 07:42 AM
I really doubt it's a merger. That is not what I constitute as 'exciting news'. If anything, that would worry me.

Same here. I invested in Cryptozoic to create Hex, mainly because I believe that they are able to pull it off, but also because Cryptozoic is not one of the major companies like an EA, SOE or Hasbro. So though this may sound a bit harsh, any merger or similar kind of deal would make me seriously reconsider that investment.

Though personally I still doubt that it has anything to do with mergers, I can not imagine that such would be 'exciting news' to Cory.

Vorpal
10-19-2013, 07:45 AM
I'm not sure what would count as exciting news for me, unless it's a whole new gameplay element or a roadmap of alpha/beta indicating that at least at the moment it's well ahead of schedule.

Soldack
10-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Troubling to me is the comment by Cryptozoic in the comments to Cory's update:

"Cryptozoic has a good history of saving troubled Kickstartered products =)"

Vomitlord
10-19-2013, 08:25 AM
I'm sure they will not be selling this game but I have a feeling that there will be a teaming up with an established video games company.

They clearly know card games, so it's easy to imagine what they don't know is the technical side of video games.
Even in the kickstarter he said that they clearly were not a video games company.

I don't think it would be such a bad thing as long as it was not certain companies(most of which were already mentioned)

I'd have expected a post from cory by now dismissing it completely if it was not on the cards.

Then again I could be talking bollocks

Either way I still have total faith in this game and cze.

Niedar
10-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Troubling to me is the comment by Cryptozoic in the comments to Cory's update:

"Cryptozoic has a good history of saving troubled Kickstartered products =)"

It was in response to someone else who brought up who will save troubled kickstarter products now. CZE saved another boardgame kickstarter project a couple months ago and was a reference to that.

ossuary
10-19-2013, 08:35 AM
It's the weekend. They're probably at home, taking a break. You can't read anything from a lack of response.

I could potentially see them teaming up with an established game design company, but I doubt it would even be that, since they already have engineers (and have recently hired more of them, as Cory or Shaq stated on the alpha forums that a Dragon Lord backer recently joined the staff)... and I can tell you from experience that you can't just hand an existing project over to another company and have them take off at full speed. It would take so long to get a whole new team up to speed on designing the game, it would actually cost them MORE money than to just continue on with their existing team. Those new people are already in the process of getting up to speed, so you'll see increased quality / speed of output from the design team over the next 3-9 months.

It's definitely not a merger or acquisition. It COULD be a team-up, but like I said, I highly doubt it. More likely the announcement has something to do with HEXCON, signing a deal for the real money tournaments (hence, the legitimacy of the game), the legal details of a real money auction house and/or currency exchange system, or something along those lines.

Or, as I suggested previously, pizza toppings. :)

Shadowelf
10-19-2013, 09:05 AM
What Hyena and Oss said ;

Could be the new forums/web content they were talking about 2 months ago;

We had some great discussion with the web development folks about features, functionality, usability, and general content that fans will want via web, including the next version of HEXTCG.com. That's all still brewing and a ways out, but once we've dotted our I's and crossed our T's, we'll make that huge announcement.

update #43 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/578359#comments

elsimer
10-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Could be an announcement that Hex is coming to one of (or both) the next gen consoles. There are a LOT of indie games that are part of the PS4 launch, and MS has been trying recently to woo a few of the indie studios into the XBone family by removing the publisher requirement and hinting that there's no reason the PC and XBone can't play nice together. That kind of announcement would definitely upset some people (increasing the timetable for development, worry about resource allocation, people who were going to buy the other console, etc) and next-gen consoles are especially buried in NDAs (know what you don't know). Come to think of it, if they announced that they were going to be a launch title (as alpha or beta) that would (I think) meet all the points in the post and then some.

Or this could be CZE's way of just ferreting out internal leaks of information.

BossHoss
10-19-2013, 09:19 AM
No, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Unfortunately he clearly stated they don't know everything though... ;p

hex_colin
10-19-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm pretty sure what the announcement is... Bottom line - you should take Cory at his word. It's great news for the game, but it doesn't materially change anything about what we signed up for. Patience :)

ossuary
10-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Oh Colin, you beautiful bastard, you're such a tease. :)

Vengus
10-19-2013, 09:42 AM
I think one thing people need to realise is that teaming up with a different company or getting a publisher doesn't necessarily mean the game gets handed to someone else or worse. There are publishers out there who could do great stuff for HEX. Publishers with the money to put HEX on the shelves of various stores around the world, who can create tons of payment options beyond creditcards and Paypal, who have tons of translaters to release this game in many countries. Such a partnership could be a great boon to the game. Of course, this all speculation right now, we won't know what it will be until next week.

Nicalapegus
10-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Hoping it's something about Hex Con. Would serve for instant gratification for those outside of Alpha, keep us excited for the game. Makes sense in my mind.

Shadowspawn
10-19-2013, 10:07 AM
Honestly, I think his message was close to trolling. After weeks of a semi-upset player base (not me, mind you... I am commenting on the general state of the forums), the update said little more than "tee-hee I have a secret". An update saying "we have been working our balls off and don't have much significant to say this week" would have been better - even if they are planning on some big survey/feedback mechanism (my guess) or "reveal" next week.

edit: after reading Colin's post I am seeing more of a partnership/merger than a survey feedback mechanism.

Aethernaut
10-19-2013, 10:12 AM
The fact that Cory knows there are going to be "what it all means" questions is very bothersome. I've followed the development of many MMOs and any time there have been "what it all means" threads it has not been good. I expect merger and based on the rest of the update it should be with a company that is familiar with MMOs or at least online gaming.

I agree with the post above. Cory's not does not sound like a teaser for a new website for me- just because of the "what does it all mean" and "give you all the details after the announcement" bits. My guess is they are getting help with development and/or management of the game from some outside entity.

MoikPEI
10-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Maybe they're partnering for iOS/Droid? Putting the game out via Mobage?

Shadowspawn
10-19-2013, 10:26 AM
SOE can't manage spilling soup on a crowded bus. Better not be the announcement.

ossuary
10-19-2013, 10:27 AM
A partnership that was purely an exchange between the two companies (money for a service), like them paying someone to translate the game or provide alternate payment services such as gift cards, would be fine. Any other kind of partnership, especially one that involved giving up even a tiny iota of their creative control or management of their own timelines, would be extremely detrimental to the game. This is exactly why Kickstarter exists, and why companies fight so hard to be independant: being beholden, even a little bit, to "the money guys" is the number one killer of game quality, because those kinds of people only care about the bottom line, and things like content or quality will inevitably end up getting pushed out for the sake of meeting a deadline and going to market.

I'd say the chance of them announcing that they've been bought, that they're merging, or that they're partnering with another company to make Hex, is virtually zero. CZE was founded to avoid that exact scenario.

Xtopher
10-19-2013, 11:27 AM
I appreciate any info Cory can give, but I'd say given the atmosphere here on the boards, cryptic hints that are open to interpretation are probably not a good idea.

majin
10-19-2013, 11:35 AM
my wife and i backed this project because we believe in cory's vision and cze too. so anything that excites him about their "baby" (hex) is something that i feel won't make me feel bad once the actual announcement have been made

we trusted them on the ks, we are trusting them now to get us all on alpha, we should trust them that this news will be exciting for all of us too

oh, i predict that they found some pizza underneath some rubbish on the office (don't know how long it was there), tasted it and it still tasted great. now they are partnering with that pizza joint ^____^

funktion
10-19-2013, 11:52 AM
They've discovered that there actually is a Hex comet and that it's headed straight for Earth.

Shadowelf
10-19-2013, 11:58 AM
They've discovered that there actually is a Hex comet and that it's headed straight for Earth.

so they are abandoning the project because they don't want to be accused of purposely bringing the comet to raise sales ?

Makes sense :p :)

funktion
10-19-2013, 12:04 PM
so they are abandoning the project because they don't want to be accused of purposely bringing the comet to raise sales ?

Makes sense :p :)

Nope, they're going to redouble their efforts so that we are all that much more prepared...

They are also hiring Bruce Willis just in case.

Shadowelf
10-19-2013, 12:10 PM

They are also hiring Bruce Willis just in case.

Yup and Stallone, Statham et crew,...and while they are at it, they might as well be filming the Hexpendables; maybe this is Cory's exciting announcement; hex made it to Hollywood ;)

dredcrow
10-19-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm thinking Steam integration.

ossuary
10-19-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm thinking Steam integration.

That wouldn't really be worthy of an announcement. Pretty much any company with an existing game can integrate with Steam, there's an API to manage it and everything.

Also, that wouldn't actually be a selling point in this case, because they'd just be giving Valve money for no reason - the players already need to connect through CZE's servers regardless, so they wouldn't be using Valve's infrastructure or anything.

knightofeffect
10-19-2013, 01:32 PM
I appreciate any info Cory can give, but I'd say given the atmosphere here on the boards, cryptic hints that are open to interpretation are probably not a good idea.

The only reason that I can think that he did it is so we won't be blindsided by a potentially huge announcement, I'm sure he fully expected speculation or even wanted it. I actually created this topic to get out the jitters of rampant speculation and provide an outlet for fun speculation (Forget the Shin'hare toppings, I'd love some Shroomkin on my pizza!)

He could also have been just building us up for an awesome announcement that will blow us away! =D

Banquetto
10-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Can't see how it be something like "Steam integration!" or "eSports tournament partnership!" or "Hexcon details!".

The tone of the sentence definitely made it seem like it was some news which he expected an initial reaction of people running around squawking like chickens with their heads cut off, requiring a soothing "this is what this is going to mean for Hex" update.

All of the above ideas, I'm sure that some people on the forums would tell us they were horrible ideas and bad for the game, but come on, they're not the sort of things that would cause widespread panic and need soothing.

MoikPEI
10-19-2013, 01:50 PM
To be fair, they could announce some pretty innocuous stuff and the forums would explode into widespread panic.

Imagine if they said they were changing Blood to red borders, and switching Ruby to Topaz with yellow borders.

Niedar
10-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Would be the biggest explosion these forums have seen tbh.

Shadowelf
10-19-2013, 03:32 PM
It's definately not steam since we already know they will be supporting the Steam API

Hextcg: we will support Steam API

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=27988&highlight=stream+notes

Kroan
10-19-2013, 04:09 PM
They're dropping the resource system just to let the whole forum explode for giggles.

Gorgol
10-19-2013, 04:22 PM
bolded for emphasis

Time to speculate on this now D: so the game will be the game but its something managerial/restructuring then. This means a partnership is still on the table.

jetah
10-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Maybe Cory decided to do printed cards instead of digital.. maybe the programming was harder than he expected.

I have to say it would be pretty epic to have "my" card printed for a reward of some type.

Xtopher
10-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Maybe we'll be able to order pizza for delivery from within the game!!!11!!!11!!!!!

Stok3d
10-19-2013, 05:28 PM
I have to say it would be pretty epic to have "my" card printed for a reward of some type.

I'm not going to lie, if I had a physical print, it would get framed and put on my wall. Yeah, I'd probably sign it and put 1/1 too :)

CoS
10-19-2013, 05:49 PM
" It would also be interesting if Crypto hired someone like Richard Garfield moving forward - someone that's a rock star within the TCG development realm to help with the subsidiary."

^^- doubtful that Garfield would be joining Hex as developer as he is working with the StoneBlade competition in the Digital CCG market ala SolForge.

However, I would love to hear of similar big name association with Hex.

keroko
10-19-2013, 05:50 PM
lots of secret hopes, a partnership with these the most audacious:

http://youtu.be/LaxqNMjVyVE

(no basis in fact whatsoever, mindless wishful thinking)

HyenaNipples
10-19-2013, 06:12 PM
I don't think the SMITE crew is the best place to seek creative excitement.

Their creative process is as follows:

1) Take an already established game genre.
2) Loosely reference mythological figures.
3) Apply genre tropes to Step 2.
4) Game!

That's how you make a game. Not a phenomenon.

Quasari
10-19-2013, 06:20 PM
I don't think the SMITE crew is the best place to seek creative excitement.

Their creative process is as follows:

1) Take an already established game genre.
2) Loosely reference mythological figures.
3) Apply genre tropes to Step 2.
4) Game!

That's how you make a game. Not a phenomenon.

You forgot
5) Notice another genre is doing good
6) Drop game and work on one in another genre.

keroko
10-19-2013, 06:33 PM
oh poo at that ^ - but I can see how one might form such an opinion.

community mgmt - excellent
wedging into moba market - undeniably successful
global expansion strategies - exciting potential
livestreaming - not seen better, or more consistent
dev team output - @65 - exceptional

plus it makes a hell of a change from warcraft 3 engine isometry. and you can jump now.

plus the lore.... its china friendly art (a big deal), and draws on the mythologies of several pantheons while wisely avoiding the inevitable quagmires of the abrahamic line.

funktion
10-19-2013, 06:34 PM
" It would also be interesting if Crypto hired someone like Richard Garfield moving forward - someone that's a rock star within the TCG development realm to help with the subsidiary."

^^- doubtful that Garfield would be joining Hex as developer as he is working with the StoneBlade competition in the Digital CCG market ala SolForge.

However, I would love to hear of similar big name association with Hex.

Not to mention that they are not new to this by any means, some aspects of hex may be new but not across the board. This isn't their first rodeo.

keroko
10-19-2013, 06:36 PM
its Cory Christmas next week; it'll be surprise to mostly all of us for sure. always up to tricks that one, and wily too.

mudkip
10-19-2013, 08:20 PM
I'm expecting to be underwhelmed.

ossuary
10-19-2013, 08:38 PM
I'm expecting to be underwhelmed.

That's the spirit. Never give up...

tautologico
10-19-2013, 09:37 PM
They have discovered that putting down HEX cards (like tarot) allows one to reliably predict the future (unlike tarot). This is the good news that everyone is going to be excited about. The bad news is that they have seen the future in the HEX cards and the world will end soon. But not before HEX itself is released, this is another good news that will get everyone excited.

ossuary
10-19-2013, 09:49 PM
The frogurt is also cursed. That's bad.

Dralon
10-19-2013, 10:26 PM
From the tea leaves I read from the notes, I will agree with many here that it is some kind of partnership, likely with a video game developer, to help them in the areas they"don't know". I know they have worked with playdek some on iOS translations (food fight), but I don't know the rest of the industry well enough to speculate further.

Either way, when the servers are back up I'll be back in testing.

Mejis
10-19-2013, 11:16 PM
From the tea leaves I read from the notes, I will agree with many here that it is some kind of partnership, likely with a video game developer, to help them in the areas they"don't know". I know they have worked with playdek some on iOS translations (food fight), but I don't know the rest of the industry well enough to speculate further.

Either way, when the servers are back up I'll be back in testing.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same think. Playdek was the first company to come to mind, especially where tablets are concerned, but I guess it could be several other companies. The people who do DotP for Wizards of the Coast actually do a pretty good job (Stainless Games?) so maybe it could be them?

funktion
10-19-2013, 11:22 PM
The surprise is that Cory wants you all to know that you have an uncle that you never knew about from Sierra Leone that just died and he left 10% of his wealth to you... there's just this one catch...

Xtopher
10-20-2013, 01:37 AM
The surprise is that Cory wants you all to know that you have an uncle that you never knew about from Sierra Leone that just died and he left 10% of his wealth to you... there's just this one catch...

That it turns out you are your own uncle??

Mahes
10-20-2013, 06:39 AM
Somebody call David Letterman and have him do a Top 10 based around what the announcement might be.

Soldack
10-20-2013, 11:34 AM
My guess is a new leader-type person coming in to take something off Corey's plate so he can focus on what he does best.

Ebynfel
10-20-2013, 12:32 PM
PS4 client

BossHoss
10-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Here is a long shot guess...

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/20/magic-the-gathering-tactics-to-be-shut-down-march-28/

Could this have any possible relationship?

Mahes
10-20-2013, 01:04 PM
The more I think about this, the more I am convinced that Cory cloned himself to better handle the immense amount of work they will need to deal with. The announcement will come from his clone.

keroko
10-20-2013, 01:09 PM
I like SOE. Seems popular to do the opposite but EQ2 was just great (still is) and I always used to argue that they should have 'won' against the other one going at the time. launch beyond buggy, griffons flying into the ground and then dropping you into a perma-fall. that kind of thing.

station cash and Vox for axing out the middleman in RMT was a bold and profitable step.

---

console clients will come in time (if CZE wants) if this thing's being built in Unity - the bugger can even do Wii U.

dredcrow
10-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Wait I think I've got it they're hiring John McAfee to run security!

Vengus
10-20-2013, 01:47 PM
Wait I think I've got it they're hiring John McAfee to run security!
The chances of getting hacked by mailing your login and password to a random goldselling website are smaller than having John McAfee in charge of security.

Quasari
10-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Here's my longshot guess.

They are partnering up with Blizzard. Activision Blizzard may be wanting to expand Battle.net to other products outside of Blizzards direct domain and due to their partnership with Crypto with the WoWTCG(even though it's being stopped) are willing to take them under their wing. Hex is not a direct competitor to Hearthstone, so I see no issue in this.

What Crypto would get out of this:
Quality hardware/help with their online components
Real ID(which helps with the naming problems people had, friends would have your Real ID)
Authenticator Support
Auction House Support(Bliz has a bunch of this through WoW and Diablo)
A robust way to accept payment
Esports help

What Bliz gets out of it:
They don't really have to fund it, Kickstarter has them there
Since theyd control the payment system, they'd get a % of every dollar spent on it.
Ads during esports casts should go to both crypto and them

Again, shot in the dark, but I figure that Blizzard would be actively looking to expand it's Battle.net catalog.

copulat0r
10-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Here's my longshot guess.

They are partnering up with Blizzard. Activision Blizzard may be wanting to expand Battle.net to other products outside of Blizzards direct domain and due to their partnership with Crypto with the WoWTCG(even though it's being stopped) are willing to take them under their wing. Hex is not a direct competitor to Hearthstone, so I see no issue in this.

What Crypto would get out of this:
Quality hardware/help with their online components
Real ID(which helps with the naming problems people had, friends would have your Real ID)
Authenticator Support
Auction House Support(Bliz has a bunch of this through WoW and Diablo)
A robust way to accept payment
Esports help

What Bliz gets out of it:
They don't really have to fund it, Kickstarter has them there
Since theyd control the payment system, they'd get a % of every dollar spent on it.
Ads during esports casts should go to both crypto and them

Again, shot in the dark, but I figure that Blizzard would be actively looking to expand it's Battle.net catalog.

interesting thought, but highly doubtful. crypto was started as a way to separate certain things from blizzard. and with the way the 2 parted ways with the WoW TCG, something tells me they aren't going to rush to partner up again so soon.

Shadowelf
10-20-2013, 03:20 PM
One thing is certain; Cory managed to have our speculation fluids running wild for the rest of the week. Now i can't wait till Friday to find out what he was talking about :/

ossuary
10-20-2013, 04:01 PM
There is zero chance of a Blizzard team-up. Blizzard is not, and is not trying to be, Valve / Steam. They're not in the business of bringing 3rd party games onto their network services; they only want to sell you their own, wholly owned, products.

It would be an even worse proposition from Cryptozoic's point of view. Activision is, if anything, even MORE money-grabbing and controlling than EA is. They're just not quite as good at it. :p This is the absolute last kind of thing that CZE would want to subject themselves to; it would completely subvert their vision and their ability to achieve it.

trapline
10-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Well the line stating that he's seen projects fail due to people thinking they know everything is important.
It is one reason why projects fail,both in choosing what to develop,and how to develop it.
I imagine that a better web interface and community roadmap/vote system close to what planet side 2 uses could be a possibility, either way the current web interface and forums are going to need to be replaced at some point to accommodate the game's demands.

I think however it's more likely a pinch hitter hire, it would make sense to bring in a tested producer at this juncture experienced with getting a game off its feet and online for a large player base.

The possibility of hex joining or getting bought by a larger more developed studio could also be a possibility, as the kickstarter's success combined with a nice product ready for the next level is already done...sharks will be circling looking for a piece of the pie.

trapline
10-20-2013, 05:14 PM
It has to be a buyout, think about it a second. If it was a new website he'd just say that. The reason he's vague is the deal isn't past the lawyers yet.
The question is with who.

Riot games was recently data mined for some sort of tcg. They have the cash, the independent spirit and Cory talks up league all the time. I imagine they would be hands off and provide a good back end.

EA would be bad, but they are devious, they managed to get bioware and mythic before ruining them both, but I don't think Cory is that dumb.

Blizzard just regained its independence in a sense, Cory has experience with them, probably has contacts there all over, and since Titan is shelved and hearthstone is limited in scope, they are going to need some other product until Titan can come out.

Valve would be intriguing and amazing, Dota 2 is great, they have deep pockets and a respect for the creative process, steam and of course are going to need flagship titles to secure steam OS. Half life 3 will likely be one such title, but they will need something more tactical to bridge Dota 2, half life and since they don't have an mmo..well hex would fit right in. The stage that hex is at right now probably would match the initial release of steam OS as well, and you'd hear ZERO complaints if valve got involved due to the level of trust and confidence everyone has in them.

tautologico
10-20-2013, 06:20 PM
CZE is going to be bought by McDonalds and we'll have the option to get an alternate art card with evert Happy Meal.

keroko
10-20-2013, 06:50 PM
We're all gonna get so fat

dredcrow
10-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Ok so maybe I should have said Steam assimilation instead of Steam integration.

Mejis
10-20-2013, 07:43 PM
It has to be a buyout, think about it a second. If it was a new website he'd just say that. The reason he's vague is the deal isn't past the lawyers yet.
The question is with who.

Riot games was recently data mined for some sort of tcg. They have the cash, the independent spirit and Cory talks up league all the time. I imagine they would be hands off and provide a good back end.

EA would be bad, but they are devious, they managed to get bioware and mythic before ruining them both, but I don't think Cory is that dumb.

Blizzard just regained its independence in a sense, Cory has experience with them, probably has contacts there all over, and since Titan is shelved and hearthstone is limited in scope, they are going to need some other product until Titan can come out.

Valve would be intriguing and amazing, Dota 2 is great, they have deep pockets and a respect for the creative process, steam and of course are going to need flagship titles to secure steam OS. Half life 3 will likely be one such title, but they will need something more tactical to bridge Dota 2, half life and since they don't have an mmo..well hex would fit right in. The stage that hex is at right now probably would match the initial release of steam OS as well, and you'd hear ZERO complaints if valve got involved due to the level of trust and confidence everyone has in them.

I'm enjoying the serious discussion in this thread. You raise some interesting points.
Didn't someone just hack Riot's twitter account or something and reveal some placeholder image of a TCG splash screen? I could have that completely wrong. But anyway, if that were the case then it would rule them out as it was clearly their own game and not HEX.

knightofeffect
10-20-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm enjoying the serious discussion in this thread. You raise some interesting points.
Didn't someone just hack Riot's twitter account or something and reveal some placeholder image of a TCG splash screen? I could have that completely wrong. But anyway, if that were the case then it would rule them out as it was clearly their own game and not HEX.

Haha, honestly, my initial gut reaction was a partnership/buyout by Riot or Valve. Both of the companies are already in competition with Blizzard, and lets be honest, from the outside, Hex looks like an amazing new IP with unlimited potential if it is managed, supported, and promoted correctly.

Putting myself in Riot's or Valve's shoes, I would have done everything I could to get Cory on the phone and discuss ways in which we could work together in a mutually beneficial manner. Heck, obviously I believe in Hex in a big way, so if I was a major gaming corporation, I would view HEX as a perfect investment and along with the rest of Crypto's successful profile, I'd just go for the whole thing.

From Cory's perspective, its obvious what a big name and big promotion can do for a game's following, ala Hearthstone; and while they are not a "direct" competitor, it sure would be nice to start out with the same thunder. I don't want to speak for Cory's current feelings towards Blizzard, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if he took the opportunity to compete with them on more equal corporate footing... Let's just call it "setting ourselves up for success" =).

Bottom line, I've met Cory, I've met Ben, I've met Chris. I believe in them, believe in their ideas, and love their passion to make the very best game they can. Furthermore, I have been constantly impressed by their creative talent and design vision. Anyone that has played the alpha knows all about the awesomely fun potential this game has, but at the same time, has got an idea of how much work there is still left to go to get the features and functionality we need by launch.

I fully support and trust any decisions Cory has or will make in order to give this project he loves the greatest chance for success. Be it a slam-dunk hire, partnership or merger, as Hex_Colin said, "It's great for the game, and doesn't materially change what we signed up for". The more I think about it, the more I am excited for the announcement. I know Cory won't let Hex deviate from the vision we all signed up for, but I am hopeful this project we have come to love in our little niche here is about to get some extra guns behind it =).

Mejis
10-20-2013, 09:25 PM
@knightofeffect I agree. I'm fully behind what the CZE guys are doing and am excited to hear what Cory will tell us soon. I'd definitely be behind Valve or Riot getting on board, although I'd sway more towards Valve (for not reason other than personal preference).

butttoots
10-20-2013, 10:05 PM
can't believe CZE is getting bought by Riot thats crazy

dredcrow
10-20-2013, 10:08 PM
One plus about Riot would be that their office is in Santa Monica so it's fairly close to CZEs.

Still think it's John McAfee though.

Aruken
10-20-2013, 11:57 PM
edit:nvm

Soul-of-Void
10-21-2013, 02:16 AM
As long as they wont team-up with Blizzard im happy

RanaDunes
10-21-2013, 04:30 AM
*sigh*

If they're going to be bought by another company I'm going to be really disappointed. But if that's the case... I sure hope it won't be EA or SOE.

RanaDunes
10-21-2013, 04:47 AM
I like SOE. Seems popular to do the opposite but EQ2 was just great (still is) and I always used to argue that they should have 'won' against the other one going at the time. launch beyond buggy, griffons flying into the ground and then dropping you into a perma-fall. that kind of thing.

station cash and Vox for axing out the middleman in RMT was a bold and profitable step.

---

console clients will come in time (if CZE wants) if this thing's being built in Unity - the bugger can even do Wii U.

If SOE going to buy Hex I'm going to commit suicide...

They bought PoxNora and ruined it, put it in a vegetable state and let it die slowly.

Same goes to Vanguard (well, the game was awful, but SOE bought it to kill any possible competition) again put it in vegetable state and let it die slowly.

SOE is the LAST company I want to put a hand on Hex. This time it's going to personal. Every time I'm excited about a game, they buy it and ruin it for me. I think Smed is stalking me or something...

Kami
10-21-2013, 06:12 AM
Could we please stop with all the doomsaying and such? Until anything has been confirmed, rampant negative speculation is ridiculous.

On a side-note, suicide as a joke is not funny.

keroko
10-21-2013, 06:15 AM
No its not - I say this as a person who's father shot himself in the face with a shotgun when I was 13.

jetah
10-21-2013, 06:40 AM
I'd like to rule out any buy out because that was what KS was for. I'd like to rule out merger because of same thing. Usually mergers or buy outs are because of lack of funds. This wasn't the case for Blizzard and Activision.

I could see CZE "working with" a software company to get HEX up to where it needs to be (or it could be Mac Alpha Client which wasn't mentioned yet) in stage of the Alpha. This software co could be helping with the coding for the Tablets/mobile as well.

I'll put out a carrot for Mac Alpha Client details!

Shadowspawn
10-21-2013, 06:45 AM
I agree with SOE will be bad. Pox Nora was my favorite game until recently. It is combo TCG and tactical strategy game in a very complex way. I switched to Hex to GET AWAY from Pox Nora/SOE.

SOE has made an announcement they are focusing on EQ formats, and basically fired its Pox staff without announcing it to players. Additionally, it has been August since anyone has posted any kind of update for that game following said announcement. If you are going to drop a game, at least let players know.

ossuary
10-21-2013, 06:48 AM
I've said it many times already in the 2 or 3 threads about this... it's not a buyout, or a merger. It COULD be some kind of mutually beneficial partnership with zero impact on deliverables or accountability, but I doubt even that.

The mac client is an interesting idea, but I doubt that would be something that would excite everyone, just a handful of vocal people. Cory was talking about it like this was big news for everyone.

I'm telling you, it's got something to do with pizza. Maybe they're partnering with Papa John's so we can order delivery in-client. ;)

MoikPEI
10-21-2013, 06:52 AM
I haven't had Papa John's pizza before. I would be open to Boston Pizza in-game ordering though. Their fetaccinni* alfredo is epic. Also they overload the extras like packets of chili and parmesan.

* I probably went through ten different spellings before ending with that one. There's still a red line under it. I give up.

ossuary
10-21-2013, 06:58 AM
fettuccine

Mahes
10-21-2013, 07:01 AM
Don't eat Papa John's pizza..

GatticusFinch
10-21-2013, 07:26 AM
IMO, this goes one of three ways:

1. Some sort of partnership with another company who can better provide the hardware/server end of the game.
2. Some terrible news that people will rage about.
3. Some disappointing good news that people will rage about getting hyped up over.

Ju66ernaut
10-21-2013, 07:56 AM
I'll throw this out there. Maybe they are ranking priorities for a development roadmap.

MoikPEI
10-21-2013, 08:30 AM
:O
That would be awesome.

ossuary
10-21-2013, 09:05 AM
That's an interesting thought. That's actually plausible. Good thinking.

MMO_Unforgiven
10-21-2013, 09:44 AM
I don't think it's a teaser for the new website or anything small as keep names. I think this is something BIG at a company management level. When he says "what it all means" I take it as something huge that is going to fundamentally change the way we think about Hex. Hence the asking of what it all means for us. The second part of his teaser stating that he knows they don't know it all and he knows better than to think he does know it all also suggests and supports the theory that it is something bigger. I am finding myself agreeing with what many are saying that it is either a merger/acquisition or a delay because they are bringing in some industry champs.

They clearly know card games very well. They have also been very open to the fact that they aren't a video game company. So if they are going to solve the issue of not knowing the video game side of things they either need to find some help by hiring professionals who do know how to make a game, or they are being absorbed by a game company.

Many have also stated the companies they would hate to have Hex absorbed by like EA, SOE, Riot, etc. I can understand those thoughts for sure. How about who you WOULD like Hex to be absorbed by IF they had to? My vote would go to Trion. They clearly know how to make a very well polished game. Rift had to be one of the best MMO launches I have ever seen. Also their transition to F2P is one of the best I have ever seen as well. They recently had some big flops though with End of Nations and Defiance. They need a come back game. Could it be Hex?

No Matter what happens I have full confidence in Cory and I know he would never make any decision that wasn't in the best interest of Hex.

Soldack
10-21-2013, 09:58 AM
I don't think it's a teaser for the new website or anything small as keep names. I think this is something BIG at a company management level.

I'm expecting a new leadership person to help Cory. Like VP of Hex.... A new hire with experience in digital card game development.

Thrawn
10-21-2013, 11:48 AM
IMO, this goes one of three ways:

1. Some sort of partnership with another company who can better provide the hardware/server end of the game.
2. Some terrible news that people will rage about.
3. Some disappointing good news that people will rage about getting hyped up over.

All three at once seems likely. Everyone will have different opinions no matter how big or small the announcement is. Some people in the thread for example seem to think Riot would be a good company for Crypto to work with while personally that news would cause me to search for someone to buy my pledges from me the second I heard about it.

HyenaNipples
10-21-2013, 01:21 PM
This has perhaps been mentioned already:

But I think it might be a division of Cryptozoic into two separate entities. They are creating a new branch that is going to be pure Hex, while maintaining the traditional table-top division in it's pre-Hex form. One of the many interesting phrases in the letter is Cory mentions "doing what he does best," and I remember him saying in an interview that he views himself as an inventor. Since Hex is basically created already, there is little left for the inventor to do. He might be shifting his focus back to new products while handing over the main management of Hex TCG to another person- but still technically under the umbrella of Cryptozoic.

I can see a partnership with another company in regards to the game development, but I find it hard to imagine that anyone at Cryptozoic would be willing to give up significant ownership of Hex TCG to anyone when it stands poised to be a humongous moneymaker for years and years.

copulat0r
10-21-2013, 01:22 PM
there is little left for the inventor to do. He might be shifting his focus back to new products while handing over the main management of Hex TCG to another person- but still technically under the umbrella of Cryptozoic.

doubtful. in every interview about Hex, Cory calls it his baby. its been a long road for him to get this far, i don't think he will drop it now.

HyenaNipples
10-21-2013, 01:24 PM
doubtful. in every interview about Hex, Cory calls it his baby. its been a long road for him to get this far, i don't think he will drop it now.

He's a father to many children, as it were.

syphonhail
10-21-2013, 01:39 PM
He's a father to many children, as it were.

Hex Snow

copulat0r
10-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Hex Snow

You know nuthin Hex Snow....

Vengus
10-21-2013, 02:03 PM
I don't see Cory stepping away from HEX. He said a while back that his head is full of ideas for many years to come, and that he wants to get it all into the game. I doubt he would just step away from all that.

Hemotherapy
10-21-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm really surprised by the comments about them hiring game creators/better leadership for the project!

I don't know if you guys saw some of the intro videos for the cast of whose behind the project, or how many times Shaqattaq has to say it but they have some pretty stellar people that HAVE BEEN in the game development industry for a long time, some of them had Senior positions where they were, some of them are from blizzard, who makes very well polished games.

I don't know why people have this idea that they have no idea what they're doing in game development, they obviously do, they're not cavalier about it like most are and are transparent with the woes of development, I guess thats where it stems from since other companies aren't so open about their fumbles...

Take blizzard for example. Great company that produces many games and has for a long time right? Just pushed back their new MMO release by years when their original ship date according to a leak document was mid 2014.

People miss dates, people have issues when developing games. They're diong just fine with developing Hex, this announcement will have nothing to do with them needing better leadership, or better people working on the game.

I can't speculate what it will be because it's not like they gave us anything to go off but I can say it won't be that.

keroko
10-21-2013, 02:31 PM
I think people might envision their dream alignment of stars into some wonderous gaming conjunction as fanciful whimsy we talk out for fun rather than sleight against something we all ponied up for on faith in CZE, no?

http://youtu.be/mVq_-9jkRFI

Vengus
10-21-2013, 02:37 PM
I agree, Hemotherapy, which is why I think that they are forming a partnership with an other company or getting a publisher to help them with the non-coding stuff like localization, marketing, monetization, etc. I don't really see why they would have to make any changes to their core development team. Judging from the patches lately they seem to do a pretty good job at getting the game stable with their current team.

MoikPEI
10-21-2013, 02:43 PM
@Hemo/Veng
That's kinda why I theorized an iOS/Android port partnership. iOS uses a very different programming language that's challenging to get right on its own. Mobile development isn't generally something you do with a couple spot hires to supplement a core code base. It takes entire teams and sometimes companies.

Niedar
10-21-2013, 02:45 PM
They have already contracted with a company to help them with tablets.

keroko
10-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Incidentally, doesn't the EULA say Hex Inc. or some such right at the top? I think I cheated and read it (I don't have the client yet) once.

wouldn't be surprised if they limit liability by spinning off a child corp for Hex, that's quite common in other business ventures.

Hemotherapy
10-21-2013, 02:52 PM
@Hemo/Veng
That's kinda why I theorized an iOS/Android port partnership. iOS uses a very different programming language that's challenging to get right on its own. Mobile development isn't generally something you do with a couple spot hires to supplement a core code base. It takes entire teams and sometimes companies.

That's actually a great idea, I didn't even consider them needing support for iOS and Android. I guess I just assumed they'd hire someone on for it, because something like that will have its own bugs and kinks/updates over the years it'll need and it would just be way more cost effective to hire someone on at CZE than keep going through another party for it.

Maybe that'll be the update though that they've found the right person or company for the job.

Edit:

They have already contracted with a company to help them with tablets.

Awww bummer.

dredcrow
10-21-2013, 07:05 PM
We're all going to feel a little silly when Cory announces his new personal assistant on Friday.

funktion
10-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Cory is actually going to replace his name with the hex logo, he will now be known as "the creative genius previously known as cory"

Shadowelf
10-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Cory had said a long time ago at the knights of the round interview, that they may be announcing a partner up with someone for some platform support; this will allow them ,in Cory's words, to focus more on the game. Maybe that is what Cory is going to announce?

http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow/b/430004874 check 1:06:30

EntropyBall
10-22-2013, 01:44 PM
This has probably already been said, but I'm not going to read this whole thread.

I think they teamed with a company with more video game development experience. They always talk about how much TCG design experience they have, but other than touting Chris Woods as a super genius, I don't hear much about programming experience. They are already working on card design and balance for set 2/3, yet the AI is still rudimentary and the cards have tons of bugs, so it seems like need some more help in that aspect. They've talked about putting a *lot* of features in this game, and having all these advanced AI and card-interaction features. But that stuff is hard to code, and maybe they initially underestimated the task since they are primarily a game design company.

EntropyBall
10-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Cory had said a long time ago at the knights of the round interview, that they may be announcing a partner up with someone for some platform support; this will allow them ,in Cory's words, to focus more on the game. Maybe that is what Cory is going to announce?

I thought they found a mobile development partner a long time ago. I thought they had someone lined up when they made the stretch goal up.

But I should know better than to question The Seeker.

ossuary
10-22-2013, 02:56 PM
I thought they found a mobile development partner a long time ago. I thought they had someone lined up when they made the stretch goal up.

They have partnered with a mobile game design company (Playdek Inc.) in the past for a couple of iOS games (Food Fight and Penny Arcade: Gamers vs. Evil). But that was awhile ago, and no announcement relating to HEX has ever been mentioned in this regard.

Playdek is rather small-scale. I wouldn't expect them to have the manpower or knowledge to deal with something as massive as HEX.

Shadowelf
10-22-2013, 03:03 PM

You got every right to do so since i can be wrong like everybody else :)

At the part i linked however, Cory was talking about the server and not tablets. You may want to listen to this (it's only 30sec/1 min max), and tell me what you think...

http://www.twitch.tv/knightsoftheroundshow/b/430004874 check 1:06:00 onwards

MoikPEI
10-22-2013, 03:36 PM
Hm... he also mentions customer support in addition to platform support... NCSoft maybe?

Mejis
10-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Playdek is rather small-scale. I wouldn't expect them to have the manpower or knowledge to deal with something as massive as HEX.

Really? I thought Playdek were considered the biggest and best iOS board game implementers?

ramseytheory
10-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Really? I thought Playdek were considered the biggest and best iOS board game implementers?

Yeah, Playdek are actually the people I'd trust most with the tablet side of things. The Hex client is bigger than most of the things they've worked on, true, but it's ultimately still the sort of project they have a huge amount of experience with.

Marsden
10-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Hm... he also mentions customer support in addition to platform support... NCSoft maybe?

Holy [removed] no no no no no. Don't even suggest it.

knightofeffect
10-22-2013, 04:43 PM

Again, this really seems to be the general consensus: Some sort of partnership to support Hex.

The real question is how far-reaching and impactful the partnership will be. The indication from Cory's note seems like it will be a pretty big deal, but he might have been overselling it (or correctly expecting a major overreaction =P).

keroko
10-22-2013, 04:44 PM
what's wrong with NCSoft?

Mejis
10-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Part of me would love for it to be something totally different than what we've all been speculating here. Something none of us have even considered...

knightofeffect
10-22-2013, 05:07 PM
As if we weren't talking about it enough already... =P

10/21 - 7:55 PM

Thank you to everyone who participated in the alpha stress test. The engineers have the information they need. We are continuing to work on the next patch, and we have some special announcements coming this week. Please keep an eye on the Kickstarter updates page and on HEXTCG.com.

Gogo hype machine!

Marsden
10-22-2013, 05:07 PM
what's wrong with NCSoft?

They killed off City of Heroes for no good reason at all.

keroko
10-22-2013, 05:17 PM
do miss CoH - i was an 81 monther at kill.

NOTHING (well eq2 illusionist maybe) has come even nearly close to controllers / or even dominators since.

champions online was a hardly a shadow imo.

the ks rebirth might be good, though didn't bother backing - I'm busy working on Hex.

So thirsty thirsty...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/trixymcnasty/avatar566_5.gif

...thirsty for info.

but NCSoft, they left Arenanet alone. There's argument that living story is killing the game versus regular paid xpacs, mixed feelings on this personally. But they've been left largely alone to the best of my knowledge.

Aradon
10-22-2013, 06:08 PM
There were some that argued that NCSoft influenced Arenanet's microtransaction model when the guys behind Maplestory bought into the shares. I personally felt like they implemented a few unpleasant store methods, but overall I think Guild Wars 2's major problem is that they set out with the goal of producing an ever-changing world without accepting how quickly players devour content. It was wonderful on its initial playthrough, as a world to explore, but it doesn't really stand up on its goal of being different every time you visit a zone.
/my two cents on GW2.

keroko
10-22-2013, 06:17 PM
random chance skin tickets in the chests were gouging imo. You know some of these companies hire psychologists with the specific intent of addictive system design. Its our own fault for being greedy right? I'd much rather see that channeled properly, even medically in replacement therapies.

@aradon I'd agree the exploration was unique and fantastic, and the initial leveling experience was a blur of sights, sounds and fun.

gw2 also has about the best use of player input capability per unit time as skill measure I've seen so far. you can see a natural progression from lineage 2 to Aion to GW2... (to wildstar dunno not played but sure looks it).

the live story was too disjointed at first, and immersion breakers like the box were inventive yes, but feel frenetic from the design perspective.

A bold effort I think by Anet. and the music is fantastic - their sound team is really a fun bunch, and talented.

Hemotherapy
10-23-2013, 02:34 PM
They killed off City of Heroes for no good reason at all.

What was their reason they gave for that? One of my friends seemed devistated when she found out they were shutting their doors.

keroko
10-23-2013, 03:10 PM
I really don't know - don't think anyone does. There were petitions, raging, strikes in atlas park, ski chalet invasions.

At the end they changed it a lot, made it all awful like champions online (no offense but its a shadow of CoX), started selling powersets like energy weapons and things.

The community in CoX was phenominal. rolling alts was so addictive, hell levelling them to full was easy.

there was a mission creator and player created campaigns, and SOOOO much RP goodness.

everything about that game was fantastic - you'd face groups of 100 mobs at a time, you felt 'strong' from level 1.

illusion control, plant dom.... spines/spines scrappers, energy brutes, assault rifle / traps blasters.

and pvp was fun. I'll never forget an enormous super strength tanker called Stugatz who came at me from the sky and ruined Mukti's day (a radiation/rad defender). Was playing on a projector at the time; better than any movie.

They'd never put out a game these days with such deep veteran rewards with such game tangible benefits (self rez, staffs of power, flat up bonus travel power at 6 normally locked til 14 without having to spend a lvl up point on it...) - there must have been a feeling by newer players that they could never catch up - because they could not.

that kind of exclusionary system didn't gel well near the end I suppose, and the microtransactionification of the thing sealed the deal.

But you can see elements of CoX in Guild wars 2. Ever tried using a mesmer 2h sword spike abil onto a wall, animates perfectly. That game is crying for travel powers - or as a prototype engine for CoH2.

the rules system alone, and time / turn execution code were worth a lot to NCSoft no doubt - I'm certain it was cannibalized.

We can look at this negatively or we can see the echoes of CoX design and this code in games in play now or to come.

----

I do believe that fallen games should be required archival material for the library of Congress when they are USA IP. These things are very important data structures in that they hold great reams of sociological research as well as many memories for users.

Even if source is sealed, it should be stored. The machines must learn to be human by being bound to the ways in which we interacted with them before their birth.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/trixymcnasty/items/1290130084128_zps06140d07.jpg

(eyes starting to glow so I'll stop here)

knightofeffect
10-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Haha, this topic hasn't diverged at all... Guess things can go anywhere when you put "speculation" in the title ;P.

Anyone noticed that for the last two days shaq has posted reminders about the upcoming announcements later this week. His last post was actually a reminder of the reminder that was in the post right above him. It almost makes me want to think they are hype trolling... =P

Or just super serious about how much of a big, awesome deal the announcement(s) are.

MoikPEI
10-23-2013, 03:33 PM
It almost makes me want to think they are hype trolling...
:O
Like, announce that the announcement is nothing just to give people something different to complain about so that it's not the same threads over and over all day?
GENIUS.
I endorse this.

mudkip
10-23-2013, 04:53 PM
I think their PR has been burned too many times before to cause hype over nothing.

jetah
10-23-2013, 07:14 PM
ok here I go again:

Servers are OP we need more people to beat them down... EVERY KS tier and SB will get an email within the weekend!!!

Ebynfel
10-23-2013, 09:27 PM
I liked the internal testing and chain running of dungeons in the last update....

Shadowelf
10-23-2013, 09:32 PM
I liked the internal testing and chain running of dungeons in the last update....

Yeap especially the dungeons part..let's hope that they will have some videos of playable pve content to show us in the near future. I know that a lot of people have been waiting for this since KS

knightofeffect
10-23-2013, 09:47 PM
Yeap especially the dungeons part..let's hope that they will have some videos of playable pve content to show us in the near future. I know that a lot of people have been waiting for this since KS

I wonder if they meant in-engine, or playtesting they way the do the sets they are developing, IE physical proxies. I'm hoping for the former =).

Gwaer
10-23-2013, 09:58 PM
My money is on the latter.

I don't expect us to see any pve at all until release, except the arena dungeon in beta.

Shadowelf
10-23-2013, 10:00 PM
I wonder if they meant in-engine, or playtesting they way the do the sets they are developing, IE physical proxies. I'm hoping for the former =).

You are right, the way it is worded could actually be either. Running however implies game play and not playtesting with cards in my eyes. Could be wrong though, because i want so much to be the former too :)

Mejis
10-23-2013, 10:24 PM
You are right, the way it is worded could actually be either. Running however implies game play and not playtesting with cards in my eyes. Could be wrong though, because i want so much to be the former too :)

Yeah I was quite surprised at the latest update mentioning PVE. I didn't even occur to me that it could be physical. Fingers crossed it was actually in-engine :)

Ebynfel
10-23-2013, 10:27 PM

But...they did just stress test the Hell out of the AI server....

As an aside, I had gone with the assumption that they have dungeons and PVE content running on internal systems. May be quite a distance from getting to the external build, but it would not surprise me to see it available to internal testers as we know it had been in the development stages for some time.

Soldack
10-24-2013, 03:19 AM
Yeah I was quite surprised at the latest update mentioning PVE. I didn't even occur to me that it could be physical. Fingers crossed it was actually in-engine :)

In past photos of their R&D process and based on comments of cryptozoic visitors, it appears they test future set developemtn testing with physical cards.

I can't imagine another way to do it at this stage.

Shadowelf
10-24-2013, 03:47 AM
These are the updates to pve we had the past month (beisdes Shaq's latest update);

We're super focused on getting Alpha into your hands and also working on PVE, Set 2 stuff, so that's where our energy and time are dedicated at the moment.

update #48 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/611776#comments

As for the rest of the team, we're still doing things like putting new location panoramas into the client, finishing up the PVE art (both creating and upgrading pieces), and booking Set 2 pieces. We have a few pieces that came in this week, and we're really trying to both improve the art from an artistic quality standpoint and a composition standpoint. That means cleaning up the internal artist database and project management website.

R&D is both working on Set 2 development (a lot of late night pizza party booster drafts here at the office) and the PVE dungeon experience.

update #47 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/605035#comments

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 06:09 AM
These are the updates to pve we had the past month (beisdes Shaq's latest update);

update #48 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/611776#comments

update #47 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts/605035#comments

Though this is all true, Shadowelf, I may clarify by development, as the development process is more than just code, i had assumed a team was working on some sort of implementation. note the assume :)

Where I was coming from with development would include the conceptualization we had received as early as the kickstarter. We knew about squirrels vs dinosaurs and junkyard dog(we've seen the map assets for junkyard dog and the gnome town) early on at the least. I have no insider information about the development process, but my assumption is that with how massive the PVE experience is going to be at launch, that assets were devoted to it's internal, early implementation. There's just a lot to do and the descriptions of the dungeons and raids we have heard suggest a large variety of different scenarios. Compared to the PVP set, the PVE stuff, in my opinion, will take a lot more work/code/resources than the 300 some odd cards we'll get for pvp.

That's pretty much where I was basing my assumption that by running the dungeons they had something on an internal build. I could be wrong, and as I said, it may be a while before any external testers see any of it even if my assumption is correct.

Hemotherapy
10-24-2013, 06:55 AM
I'm starting to think they may just be holding off on those alpha invites so later this week Cory can go:

"YOU GET AN INVITE! YOU GET AN INVITE! YOU GET AN INVITE! EVERYONE GETS AN INVITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Then we'll all be in alpha. So then the threads will stop being about "wtf why can't I get my alpha invite" to "wtf when is beta?? c'mon CZE!"

Shadowelf
10-24-2013, 07:05 AM
Though this is all true, Shadowelf, I may clarify by development, as the development process is more than just code, i had assumed a team was working on some sort of implementation. note the assume :)

Yeah and you are most probably right; just listed the updates to notfy the process in development of pve ,for the past month. At least the part they shared with us :)

Danrax
10-24-2013, 10:27 AM
CRYPTOZOIC ENTERTAINMENT PARTNERS WITH GAMEFORGE AND LEVEL UP! TO BRING
HEX: SHARDS OF FATE TO PLAYERS WORLDWIDE

Publishing Partnerships Extend Global Reach of HEX to Europe, Latin America and the Philippines

Irvine, Calif. – Oct. 24, 2013 – Cryptozoic Entertainment, developer and publisher of board and card games, today revealed strategic new partnerships with Germany-based Gameforge and Philippines-based Level Up! to expand the company's international reach and support for its wildly successful crowd-funded project, HEX: Shards of Fate. Gameforge and Level Up! will expand the world’s first Massively Mutiplayer Online Trading Card Game experience to Europe, Latin America and the Philippines.

"Our number one priority has always been to create the best possible experience for players regardless of where they live," said Cory Jones, president and chief creative officer, Cryptozoic Entertainment. "We’re extremely proud of the fact that HEX is one of the first multi-million dollar Kickstarter projects to successfully deliver playable product to our loyal backers and our partnerships with Gameforge and Level Up! will give us inroads to reach new players around the globe.”

HEX: Shards of Fate shattered its initial funding goal of $300,000 in less than one month, ultimately raising $2.27 million through Kickstarter, building an unprecedented following of loyal backers eager to get in on the collectible nature of the game ahead of launch. Created from the ground up as a digital trading card game, HEX: Shards of Fate breaks free from the restrictions that come from being shackled to physical trading cards. The unique digital format will allow for global tournaments where all HEX players around the world can participate and compete against each other, as well as regional tournaments created for local groups of players. International partnerships with experienced platform providers such as Gameforge and Level Up! will ensure these tournaments run smoothly and are stable immediately at launch, while expanding HEX's global reach, guaranteeing players around the world experience an unparalleled level of gameplay.

HEX: Shards of Fate combines the amazing community and storytelling aspects of a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) with the compelling collectable and strategic game play of a trading card game (TCG) to create an entirely new gaming experience. HEX: Shards of Fate is currently in closed alpha for an elite group of Kickstarter backers.

The_Wine_Gnat
10-24-2013, 10:39 AM
And this: http://www.gameswelt.de/hex-shards-of-fate/news/gameforge-wird-publisher-des-sammelkartenspiels,208653

HEX: Shards of Fate - News
PC

24.10.2013 - Mirco Kämpfer
Gameforge wird Publisher des Sammelkartenspiels

HEX: Shards of Fate Bild 1Wie Gameforce heute per Pressemitteilung bekannt gab, wird der Publisher den Vertrieb des via Kickstarter finanzierten Online-Sammelkartenspiels HEX: Shards of Fate übernehmen. Der von Cryptozoic entwickelte Titel ist eine Mischung aus klassischem Fantasy-MMO und taktischem Trading-Card-Game und gilt als eines der erfolgreichsten Crowdfunding-Projekte auf Kickstarter.

Die Entwickler hinter HEX: Shards of Fate haben bereits am World-of-Warcraft-Sammelkartenspiel mitgewirkt und möchten ihre Expertise in einem neuen Spiel unter Beweis stellen. "Wir sind unheimlich stolz darauf, unseren zahlreichen Unterstützern mit HEX eines der ersten millionenschweren Kickstarter-Projekte in spielbarer Form präsentieren zu können und gleichzeitig dank der Zusammenarbeit mit Gameforge weltweit eine noch größere Spielerschaft zu erreichen", sagt Cory Jones, Chief Creative Officer und President bei Cryptozoic Entertainment.

Auf Kickstarter haben im vergangenen Mai mehr als 18.000 Fans über 2,5 Millionen US-Dollar gespendet und damit das angepeilte Ziel von 300.000 US-Dollar bei weitem übertroffen. HEX: Shards of Fate befindet sich derzeit in einer geschlossenen Alpha-Phase. Mehr Informationen entnehmt ihr der offiziellen Website.

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 10:43 AM
hmm...a distribution pact...well played CZE, well played

Vengus
10-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Basically means Gameforge is going to be the publisher for Europe. I wonder if Europeans are able to play with Americans. I also wonder what will happen if Gameforge fucks up or doesn't give a shit about the players. I don't like being treated as a second rate player.

Also, my predictions were spot on.

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Does GameForge historically treat customers poorly?

houjix
10-24-2013, 10:44 AM
*puts on rubber boots and rain coat*

Here comes the crap storm.

Vengus
10-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Does GameForge historically treat customers poorly?
I got mixed feelings. They started out pretty well but they got worse over time. They started out with games like Ogame, eventually started buying/publishing for other games like Aion.

Cory_Jones
10-24-2013, 10:46 AM
we are about to post my article about this, give it 5 minutes

havocattack
10-24-2013, 10:48 AM
we are about to post my article about this, give it 5 minutes

ogomgomogomgogomg

havocattack
10-24-2013, 10:48 AM
http://hextcg.com/hex-goes-worldwide/

Cory_Jones
10-24-2013, 10:51 AM
http://hextcg.com/hex-goes-worldwide/

I actually have a few things to talk about not “just” this, although clearly this part is big :)

havocattack
10-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Please, go on!
:)

havocattack
10-24-2013, 10:53 AM
http://hextcg.com/whats-happening-with-hex/

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 10:54 AM
We love you Cory, just sayin' :) We're salivating here!

Vorpal
10-24-2013, 10:56 AM
My refresh button broke.

havocattack
10-24-2013, 10:56 AM
<3 cory
;D

ouphie
10-24-2013, 10:57 AM
OMG! How can you guys be focused on going world wide when we can't even get the next 500 people into alpha!... There, now that is out of the way we can have a real discussion :P.

Seriously though, great news! I can't wait to see where CZE can take Hex. Having partners around the globe is an awesome development.

Vibraxus
10-24-2013, 11:00 AM
http://hextcg.com/whats-happening-with-hex/

Totally awesome all around! Bravo

houjix
10-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Cory, I think someone pointed this out earlier, but you really need to cross link with the main Crypto website. Getting from there to the Hex website is almost impossible. The Cryptozoic name has enough recognition now that you might get more people to stumble upon Hex.

Cory_Jones
10-24-2013, 11:01 AM
well the invites went out so I am hoping.... never :)

Vibraxus
10-24-2013, 11:02 AM

HAHA you responded before my edit. You rox my man.

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 11:03 AM
OMG! How can you guys be focused on going world wide when we can't even get the next 500 people into alpha!... There, now that is out of the way we can have a real discussion :P.

Seriously though, great news! I can't wait to see where CZE can take Hex. Having partners around the globe is an awesome development.

250 tiers are in today... :)

ouphie
10-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Too much awesome for one day. The folks at CZE are doing wonders to further Hex. Great job and many thousands of thanks (and eventually my dollars) to the crew.

The_Wine_Gnat
Thanks for the updates! Looking forward to when Slacker Backers get in, but I can patiently wait knowing there will be less bugs by then. :D

Shadowelf

Gratz guys, so happy for you :)

Ebynfel
Cory, You da man. Now that I'm going to be in...where's mah PVE!?!?!

j/k but o note, thank you so much for the update.

ouphie
10-24-2013, 11:05 AM

Twas in jest only. I'm a huge fan of how CZE has handled the alpha invites. I'm an engineer so I get the approach CZE is taking :).

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Gratz guys, so happy for you :)

Thank you much Shadowelf :)

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Twas in jest only. I'm a huge fan of how CZE has handled the alpha invites. I'm an engineer so I get the approach CZE is taking :).

oh, I wasnt trying to knock you, just didnt know if you'd seen the update that went up, like, 30 seconds before your post :)

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 11:08 AM
And here I was, angry that I had my day off changed on me mid-week from tomorrow to today...I should buy a powerball ticket...

Marsden
10-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Hmmm. I've never been impressed by EU publishing partners for MMOs, they've often turned out to be second-rate, separating players needlessly and giving far worse support than the actual publisher.

But since it shows that US/EU will be one walled garden, I'm tentatively hopeful that Hex will be the exception to this.

Cory_Jones
10-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Hmmm. I've never been impressed by EU publishing partners for MMOs, they've often turned out to be second-rate, separating players needlessly and giving far worse support than the actual publisher.

But since it shows that US/EU will be one walled garden, I'm tentatively hopeful that Hex will be the exception to this.

it will, I hold the line on quality, and we will deliver a AAA experience

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 11:16 AM
in the article it did say that the signed contract with both LevelUP! and Gameforge give Cory the final words for Hex.

Vengus
10-24-2013, 11:17 AM

Yeah if Gameforge screws up I'll just go onto the US server if that's possible, unless Gameforge handles both the US and EU servers.

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Gameforge doesnt have much of a presence here across the pond, if at all. It looks like it's a strategic overseas deal, and that CZE will have the NA deal worked out. Just seems like the NA/Eu combination really makes sense on the "Walled Garden" thanks to a very carefully worded contract and some similarity in law and such. Other regions simply require different hoops to jump through, NA/Eu seem to have similar gaming laws/restrictions/free trade adn expression idealogies etc.

Soldack
10-24-2013, 11:22 AM

So all the invites have been sent for today?

Ebynfel
2nd wave, 250 tiers. about 3000 of us

Shadowelf
So all the invites have been sent for today?

No, just the $250 tiers

i
t’s pretty simple. We are inviting another 3,000 people into the Alpha. Invites are going out right now and will continue throughout the day. All Raid Leaders, Guild Masters, Pro Players, Dungeon Crawlers, and Collectors will join the alpha. If all goes well, we hope to get on a regular and expedited runway to inviting everyone into the game. I apologize that this is taking longer than I hoped, but that’s the nature of Alpha and software development—it’s all about discovering the unknown. The glitch-filled, buggy unknown…

http://hextcg.com/big-news-for-hex/

Marsden
10-24-2013, 11:23 AM
it will, I hold the line on quality, and we will deliver a AAA experience

Thank you for the assurances. This kind of thing is why I'm looking forward to playing Hex for years to come and my only regret is not throwing more money at the Kickstarter :)

Soldack
10-24-2013, 11:24 AM
No, just the $250 tiers

That is what I meant. Have all the invites that are going to b sent today been sent? I know it is $250 plus.

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 11:24 AM
If only I had the money. When I came across the Kickstarter it had been up for less than an hour... I really wish I'da had that producer tier covered, lol :) Unfortunately, my means left me at Pro Player, with which I am very happy.

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 11:25 AM
That is what I meant. Have all the invites that are going to b sent today been sent? I know it is $250 plus.

It'll probably take some time for them to deliver, but the article said they're en route.

FenMiHuo
10-24-2013, 11:25 AM
I wish the apprentice thing could be done remotely, I cant quit my job and move to cali for something like that but I would totally do it all for free in my spare time

Soldack
10-24-2013, 11:26 AM
It'll probably take some time for them to deliver, but the article said they're en route.

Corey posted above "well the invites went out" made it sound past tense

Vengus
10-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Those $250 invites will be sent throughout the day. Should the emails somehow be sent all at once, please look for a puff of smoke in the direction of California.

beepharoni
10-24-2013, 11:27 AM
I am pretty pleased with this announcement. It pretty much went hand in hand with my expectations and predictions. I had a feeling (as did many others) that crypto had partnered up with another company to help deliver us the gaming experience that we have all been waiting for. So this is excellent news, and hopefully this helps push us out of alpha and into beta even faster.

Doubly pleased that we are getting 3,000(ish?) more people into the Alpha. Not only because it will be a lot less crying on these forums, but more people to playtest with. Have spent some time sitting in the lobby alone waiting for someone to log in.

Now, we just have to wait for Shaq's announcement (which will hopefully be a patch that introduces the PVE content as well as unlocking a bunch of the cards that were not included in the alpha because they were not working, and fixes many game breaking bugs (such as multiple cerebral fulminations ticking off at once!).

Great news all around. Good job to the guys at CZE and I hope to continue to read a lot of good news like this in the coming weeks.

Soldack
10-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Those $250 invites will be sent throughout the day. Should the emails somehow be sent all at once, please look for a puff of smoke in the direction of California.

ok thanks.

Its like Christmas eve....

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 11:28 AM
I wish the apprentice thing could be done remotely, I cant quit my job and move to cali for something like that but I would totally do it all for free in my spare time

i wish the apprenticeship had an art focus...I could quit my job and do that...if CZE thought I had the skills to do it.

ossuary
10-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Now I just need to convince Cory to sell me one of those $250 tiers he bought back from people abandoning ship. Pretty please? ;)

Seriously though, cool announcement, glad to see you guys are thinking big and thinking global. I can't wait to get into the alpha myself so I can track down Murtaugh and see if his too many cards and not enough skill can stack up against MY too many cards and not enough skill. :)

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 11:41 AM
It'll come Ossuary, these are giant steps i nthe right direction.

Vengus
10-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Now I just need to convince Cory to sell me one of those $250 he bought back from people abandoning ship. Pretty please? ;)

Seriously though, cool announcement, glad to see you guys are thinking big and thinking global. I can't wait to get into the alpha myself so I can track down Murtaugh and see if his too many cards and not enough skill can stack up against MY too many cards and not enough skill. :)
No surprise he's thinking big after getting over 8 times the amount of money he needed. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vohNUTTx3A

jetah
10-24-2013, 04:22 PM
I was mailed my paypal and ks accounts from 2:30pm cdt till about 5pm cdt. so all of the 250s should be in (didn't get PP but did get the other 4).

ok here I go again:

Servers are OP we need more people to beat them down... EVERY KS tier and SB will get an email within the weekend!!!

I almost called it too.