PDA

View Full Version : What would you first pick? #2

Aradon
10-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Again, this is the first pack in your draft. What's your first pick?
This time, I tried to balance the pack to make it a bit more interesting and foster some discussion. The rare's still pretty powerful in this pack, but I'm not sure it's first-pickable. Maybe it is, but it's at least got some competition.

Show Pack (http://www.elftown.com/stuff/Draft%20Pack%202.gif) (Larger image than last time, sorry)
Suppressive Fire
Repel
Inner Conflict
Giant Army Ant
Glimmerglen Witch
Blood Savant
Moon'ariu Sensei
Infiltrator Bot
Zodiac Shaman
Arena Brawler
Adaptable Infusion Device
Cloud Titan
Angelic Ascension
Corrupted Afterlife
Sabotage

LargoLaGrande
10-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Cloud Titan. It's big, it flys, the other cards pale in comparison except for Inner Conflict and I don't really like Diamond.

Maphalux
10-19-2013, 08:10 PM
This one isn't even close for me. Cloud Titan.

I can see people making a good case for taking Inner Conflict over the Titan but The Conflict doesn't deal with bothersome troop abilities.

vulture27
10-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Also going with Cloud Titan. 4/4 flying is large enough to win the game, and diamond seems to be the worst shard with the available cards so far.

The_Wine_Gnat
10-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Could Titan as well, followed by Inner Conflict, then Arena Brawler.

Wodahs
10-20-2013, 03:05 AM
Inner conflict because easier to splash, 2nd best common removal, and I feel people will overvalue sapphire and undervalue Diamond. Judging by the full set, the common diamond pool feels stronger than the sapphire one for limited play imo.

Titan is very strong, borderline bomb-ish, but in-game the conflict defeats the titan :)

LLCoolDave
10-20-2013, 03:25 AM
With no playing experience for the set, this is how I'd rank them right now:

Inner Conflict, Cloud Titan, Repel, Giant Army Ants, Corrupted Afterlife, Glimmerglen Witch, Adaptable Infusion Device, Infiltrator Bot, Arena Brawler, Moon'ariu Sensei, Angelic Ascension, Suppressive Fire, Zodiac Shaman, Blood Savant, Sabotage

A lot of that may change depending on the metagame that evolves in the limited environment, but it's the way I'd rate the cards right now.

HyenaNipples
10-20-2013, 09:32 AM
I agree with those above.

Shadowelf
10-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Inner conflict because easier to splash, 2nd best common removal, and I feel people will overvalue sapphire and undervalue Diamond. Judging by the full set, the common diamond pool feels stronger than the sapphire one for limited play imo.

Titan is very strong, borderline bomb-ish, but in-game the conflict defeats the titan :)

Yeah inner conflict would have been my pick for the reasons listed above

Aradon
10-20-2013, 04:07 PM
I think it's in the air between cloud titan and inner conflict for me, I'd prefer inner conflict, but passing both Repel and Angelic Ascension will probably put someone to the immediate left in white. Still, that's speculation, and you can still splash inner conflict if you get cut. So yeah, inner conflict seems like the the pick to me.

Jbizzi
10-21-2013, 02:42 PM
I think it's in the air between cloud titan and inner conflict for me, I'd prefer inner conflict, but passing both Repel and Angelic Ascension will probably put someone to the immediate left in white. Still, that's speculation, and you can still splash inner conflict if you get cut. So yeah, inner conflict seems like the the pick to me.

It will probably put them into blue and then the next person to the left into white or red. Even then you have the edge over those two players already because of the Inner Conflict being more effective than either of them.

Vengus
10-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Inner Conflict probably, just to create a good foundation to build on. Cards like Murder, Burn, Inner Conflict etc are nice commons that are always useful.

mortikal
10-22-2013, 03:44 AM
I would probably go with inner conflict. It's a very good removal card that in worst case is worth splashing.

Demondred
10-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Several of these cards concern unblockable damage and I feel that Flight would be the best form of it for the cost, so Cloud Titan would be a high pick as one of the most cost efficient cards listed. However, better than swinging a giant flyer at enemies is disabling the enemy's giant flyer, so Inner Conflict wins the pick and god have mercy on whoever picks the Titan when they face me.

inkubator
10-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Diamond is a bit weak so I'd take the Titan. I think conflict and titan are close enough to just take your preference though.

Yuhan
11-02-2013, 03:33 AM
Could we do more of these? I'm new to TCG's and these are very informative and fun.

Aradon
11-02-2013, 03:38 AM
I'll try and mock up another one sometime in the next day or so :)

Yuhan
11-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks! Looking forward to it!

mudkip
11-03-2013, 05:26 PM
I'll try and mock up another one sometime in the next day or so :)

Please do.

wutae
11-04-2013, 10:28 AM
This is actually really entertaining.

My answer is inner conflict. I would like to say that the first pick of a booster is way too easy. When you are on the 4th booster and you have already selected a few cards, and you have seen 3 other boosters. Then that's when it starts getting a lot more complicated.

Aradon
11-04-2013, 01:10 PM
I posted two more. Wutae, in a draft, you only open 3 booster packs, so you'll never be on the 4th booster. You end up with 45 cards from 3 packs to build your deck with. You'll need about 23 of those cards, plus about 17 resources (freely available) to build a 40-card deck.

I agree, though, Inner Conflict is an outstanding draft card.

FeelNFine
11-04-2013, 04:41 PM
I would take Repel over Inner conflict any day. 4 threshold one is easier to splash than 2 threshold 1, as far as fitting it into your curve though. Maybe easier isn't the right word, my point is if you are splashing diamond, Inner Conflict will be just as slow most of the time (by splash, I mean Diamond is just a type you have maybe 1-5 cards of in your deck, not enough to consider it one of your types.) The upside is you get removal over nullification. Considering there are more ways to get rid of the nullification (not as many as Magic, since my understanding is even unsummoning won't remove Inner Conflict's effect.) and it doesn't deal with creature's abilities, repel is better in the long run.

Both Cloud titan and Sabotage are strong in this format, but I would still probably pick Repel over the two of them for first pack first pick, just because it has higher odds of making it into my final deck. Cloud Titan is better than Sabotage in that regards since he fits in all two color splits, both with blue being the main and secondary color. Sabotage really wants to be in a deck where blue is the main color, and even then it wants to be in a control deck and does nothing in an aggro deck. Titan works in both aggro and control.

wutae
11-05-2013, 03:35 AM
I posted two more. Wutae, in a draft, you only open 3 booster packs, so you'll never be on the 4th booster. You end up with 45 cards from 3 packs to build your deck with. You'll need about 23 of those cards, plus about 17 resources (freely available) to build a 40-card deck.

I agree, though, Inner Conflict is an outstanding draft card.

You have 8 players drafting, what i meant was when you recieve a booster from an opponent on the fourth turn of picking.

jgsugden
11-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Repel (quick kills are very valuable and flexible - I'd rather pay the extra and remove an enemy from the board than have it go passive and still offer passive benefits), Inner Conflict, Cloud Titan, Angelic Ascenscion, Giant Army Ants, Blood Savant, Infiltrator, Moon'aru Sensei, Sabotage, Arena Brawler, Adaptable Infusion Device, Glimmerglen Witch, Zodiac Shaman, Corrupted Afterlife, Suppressive Fire

Another consideration - this goes around the circle and comes back to you after 8 cards are removed. White will be gone. That means you'll be drawing a card from the second color (or artifact). This is a point against picking white and in favor of picking blue where you know you may be able to get a sabotage or zodiac champion to supplement your cloud titan. However, I still favor removal when possible.