PDA

View Full Version : MMO Sociology - Will multi-boxing raids become the norm?

GreyGriffin
10-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Considering the highly technical nature of card duels, and the removal of the major technical hurdle of multi-boxing (managing a character in real-time), will there be measures in place to prevent multi boxing raid level content and trading the entire loot table to one master account? There have been mentions of raids being keyed, but that's a simple matter of trading your progression deck to your alts and then burning through the dungeon content to get the keys.

From the progression player's standpoint, what possible benefit could they gain from not being in control of the entire raid? What measures can possibly be taken to differentiate 3 real (or virtual) machines run as a multi box to a LAN party? Will this result in Chinese Auction House Spam of raid-level gear, since it is rumored there are no bind-on-pickups?

Furthermore, are there efforts being made to make raid type games a socially positive experience? Are there any unique elements that can accentuate the experience of cooperating with multiple players on the same battlefield in hex's presentation and mechanics?

These are all open questions, and I am interested to know if the community has any thoughts on this.

keroko
10-21-2013, 03:01 PM
haha the number of times I've heard what amounts to 'i wish I could puppeteer the lot of you'.

it'll happen sure, and perhaps some would prefer to 3 headed giant solo. for others its not as much fun.

to each their own, and my thanks to that hunter who runs like this day and night and keeps our AH prices low. must be tiring.

I don't think hex is going to be the kind of 100 man / 40 man / 25 man set barn dances we've come to know and love at the bleeding edges.

stiii
10-21-2013, 04:03 PM
The only thing they can really do other than directly banning it is having a very short timer on end game raids. So one person would struggle to play fast enough while three people would be able to work out what their deck should do. This would be rather hard to balance as people play at very different speeds but it would probably prevent everyone doing it.

This is assuming they even think it is a problem. You can "multi box" on magic online by just opening multiple copies of the program no virtual machine required.

Multi box is in quotes because multi boxing in the MMO sense doesn't work/make any sense for a TCG so I'm assuming the OP just means one person playing all three decks in a raid, that person still needs to click for each deck separately

jetah
10-21-2013, 04:27 PM
I don't see a problem with multi-boxing a TCG.

Vorpal
10-22-2013, 09:06 AM
I don't see any harm in multi boxing pve raids.

I plan to enjoy them with my friends, but I don't see how someone solo'ing pve content is a problem, whether he solos it by having one amazing deck, two pretty good decks, or 3 normal decks.

Either way, it's going to happen.

Turtlewing
10-22-2013, 09:47 AM
The only thing they can really do other than directly banning it is having a very short timer on end game raids. So one person would struggle to play fast enough while three people would be able to work out what their deck should do. This would be rather hard to balance as people play at very different speeds but it would probably prevent everyone doing it.

This is assuming they even think it is a problem. You can "multi box" on magic online by just opening multiple copies of the program no virtual machine required.

Multi box is in quotes because multi boxing in the MMO sense doesn't work/make any sense for a TCG so I'm assuming the OP just means one person playing all three decks in a raid, that person still needs to click for each deck separately

That's not the same as multi boxing a raid.

You would probably need multiple accounts to join the raid multiple times.

Jbizzi
10-22-2013, 10:34 AM
This will happen but I guess I don't care.

Raids will not be an enormous amount of people to begin with and one person controlling ~4 decks is just like 4 people doing the same individually... it still only amounts to the same loot. If one person wants to be asocial and go it alone, more power to you. The 4 individuals will probably be getting more out of it, if not life in general.

stiii
10-22-2013, 01:05 PM
That's not the same as multi boxing a raid.

You would probably need multiple accounts to join the raid multiple times.

What part of my post are you disagreeing with exactly?

Quasari
10-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Playing three decks at once would be tedious passing priority all the time.

XagoTrunk
10-22-2013, 03:31 PM
The 4 individuals will probably be getting more out of it, if not life in general.
Where do you think you are

keroko
10-22-2013, 03:59 PM
...if not life in general.

there's no ability to cast conjecture on personal traits with regard to IRL social linking of a player based on whether or not they like to multi-box / solo raid.

poor form.